Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Mido posted:

please dont gtk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wxpython doesnt work and pyside wants me to download this hugeass file or something

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Yeah you'll need the qt libraries and then Python bindings to them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pyside won't install to the right directory and i dont get a choice as to where the files go

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

afaik all my modules n poo poo are in usr/local/bin not usr/bin

maybe this is a problem???

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I decided to try making something with hobo and there's way too much ~spooky magic stuff~ going on.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just use qt
also don't use python

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zlodo posted:

just use qt
also don't use python

use what then

i only know python

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Posting Principle posted:

i didn't realize that. i'll probably have time to work on it this weekend so i'll look into spring jpa. i also need to mavenize the project, because right now IDEA is handling all the dependencies. might as well do these things right

IDEA should have a maven plugin, but idk how it handles projects and stuff.

Pollyanna posted:

how do i gui

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

osx

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh. ur screwed.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
well if u know only python at least use qt so there will be one good thing in your project

also ur lucky to be on osx so you have no risk of making the mistake of using wpf

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

IDEA should have a maven plugin, but idk how it handles projects and stuff.

it does; you can have it resolve dependencies maven-style or you can put jars in a lib directory or you can do some of each

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

brew install pyside works fine???

prefect posted:

it does; you can have it resolve dependencies maven-style or you can put jars in a lib directory or you can do some of each

it does. "mavenize" means "add maven facet" afaict

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

brew install pyside works fine???

what does it mean when

code:
==> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/pyside/1.2.0 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TY
==> make
is on the screen but nothing else is happening

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zlodo posted:

well if u know only python at least use qt so there will be one good thing in your project

also ur lucky to be on osx so you have no risk of making the mistake of using wpf

then what other language is good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wow just use cocoa and objective c it's not very hard

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

is there a good pyqt guide somewhere ive been meaning to play around with it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wow they had a chance to call it qtpy and they didnt do it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

wow they had a chance to call it qtpy and they didnt do it

srsly

ew. c style syntax

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pollyanna posted:

srsly

ew. c style syntax

it doesnt look anything like c unless you drop into c

also you can do ruby motion which lets you do cocoa/objc in ruby but i dunno you basically need to know objective C anyhow and it's less employable

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it doesnt look anything like c unless you drop into c

also you can do ruby motion which lets you do cocoa/objc in ruby but i dunno you basically need to know objective C anyhow and it's less employable

what languages are most popular for employers

java? c++? objc?

and also i have a python thing and i want to give it a gui hence python guis

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pollyanna posted:

java? c++? objc?

i'll let u know when i get an actual programming job

quote:

oh i missed that part in that case idk. django i guess get SaaSy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i'll let u know when i get an actual programming job

oh i missed that part in that case idk. django i guess

django really :psyduck:

well i guess it'd give me an excuse to finish that django tutorial. ok let's see if this works

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

java? c++? objc?

just get good at one of those things and someone somewhere will hire you for it, as long as its not something really stupid like cobol or ruby (eheheh ruby burn)

i have a job doing a python thing but its a part-time student gig

e: specifically django

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Pollyanna posted:

what does it mean when

code:
==> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/pyside/1.2.0 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TY
==> make
is on the screen but nothing else is happening

its compiling. look in activity monitor for processes called clang or shiboken pegging your cpu

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pollyanna posted:

django really :psyduck:

well i guess it'd give me an excuse to finish that django tutorial. ok let's see if this works

django probably only makes sense if you want to run a web service kinda thing but i do rails a lot at work for small projects that would benefit from a central db and then just add the little apps to our web server but that's a unique situation

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yeah ive been thinking about starting to learn another language other than python. dunno which tho

i assume one of java c++ or objc, but i don't want java and c++ probably doesnt have a lot of jobs on my level so objc might be a good idea

its compiling. look in activity monitor for processes called clang or shiboken pegging your cpu

this was it. ty

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thing is that python is great for learning and making a few personal projects but im kinda running into a wall re: doing anything with it

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
thats me with literally every language i know. zero motivation or creativity ftw

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

thing is that python is great for learning and making a few personal projects but im kinda running into a wall re: doing anything with it

how so

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont think there's a major difference between languages themselves, obviously stuff like syntax yeah but most projects can be done in anything. the difference is the libraries that are available and how long they've been used in the industry (hence more hireable)

ummmm idk :( i guess its frustrating trying to get a gui going in python cause there's no great choice out there but also i dunno what to do next, sure there's django n poo poo but im not really a web developer/database admin. most things seem oriented to web development this days in fact

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

i dont think there's a major difference between languages themselves, obviously stuff like syntax yeah but most projects can be done in anything. the difference is the libraries that are available and how long they've been used in the industry (hence more hireable)

what

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

comedy option: swing

I made a pretty thing in swing

i hard coded everything in pixel coordinates

and rewrote a bunch of components

and it doesn't look like swing anymore

welcome 2 terrible programmer safe zone population me

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

python sucks, mlmps (much like my programming skills)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pollyanna posted:

ummmm idk :( i guess its frustrating trying to get a gui going in python cause there's no great choice out there but also i dunno what to do next, sure there's django n poo poo but im not really a web developer/database admin. most things seem oriented to web development this days in fact

I always used tkinter back when I was doing python gui stuff. anything you make with tkinter will be incredibly ugly but it's pretty easy to get going iirc. (IDLE is a fine tkinter product, if you want an example of tkinter-ugly.)

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

what are you trying to do

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yeah tkinter works for me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Socracheese posted:

what are you trying to do

idk

what do you use classes for