Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So Caelum is pretty poo poo huh? That's a shame because I like them thematically, I suppose my next choice would be Agartha or Ulm, both of those are pretty cool as well as Helheim. Basically all the cold nations seem really cool. I'll have to not get attached to certain pretenders for their look and go by stats, but I'll sign up for that newbie game so I can be easy fodder and hopefully learn a little doing so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Helheim is excellent, Ulm varies between good (LA Ulm), alright, ish (EA Ulm), and terribad other than at indie bashing (MA Ulm). Agartha is probably the worst nation in every single age it inhabits :v:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have a certain amount of irrational affection for LA Ulm, but 'good' is a bit of a stretch.
edit: I hate admitting it but EA Ulm is probably the way better nation.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I finally got enough extra cash to upgrade to 4. Everything looks 100x better than 3 UI wise.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
LA Ulm gets cheapo stealthy crossbowmen, strong path access to everything other than N, so long as you get a pretender who can cast Sanguine Heritage, and recruit-everywhere national mages, plus access to the AP 2x Magic Being Damage ExHx dart attacks from MA.

I dunno. I likes 'em!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I unironically think Caelum is one of the best nations in MA. Its definitely a nation that requires a lot more effort to succeed, but they are good once you get going.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Helheim is excellent, Ulm varies between good (LA Ulm), alright, ish (EA Ulm), and terribad other than at indie bashing (MA Ulm). Agartha is probably the worst nation in every single age it inhabits :v:

As someone playing Helheim right now out of nostalgia i can only say i wish i wasnt playing Helheim.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

The most difficult part of playing Dominions 3/4 is getting motivated to do your turns when you're losing. Playing bad nations because you like their flavor makes this happen more often.

My main motivation when I'm losing is always: Play as annoying as possible, plant forts on every province and if you're down to one last army in some random province, try to bash as many enemy provinces as possible before your dwindling numbers and rising enemy PD / armies finally catch up to you. Stuff that makes at least a last impression before you're pulled under.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

jBrereton posted:

LA Agartha can do some fun things with some planning. Ktonians are cap-only now, but they get bonus resources from Reanimators. Slow-moving, nearsighted legions of doom will be a Thing.

MA now has access to Rhuax and Barathrus Pacts, which are good summons. Plus the whole Golem Cult dominion effect.

Edit: For Caelum-chat, Corpse Constructs are super cheap (with the Staff bonus), shock & cold resistant, high HP, high Morale chaff. They can take a while to amass, but when you've got A1D1 mages and plenty of high A&W Evos to fling around, might as well set some dudes to monthly summoning.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 25, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What magic school has the spells that allow you to attack underwater with your army? I'm in a 1 v 1 against a aquatic nation and I just need to finish them off.

I completely took over the map aside from a small island I can't get to. I need a way to travel over water so I can take out his ocean based Providences.
VVVV

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 25, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just finished a test game with Shinuyama. Those Bakemono Sorcerers can manufacture more arms than BAE Systems when you get to Construction 6 :v:

My only regret is that I never got to use this guy in battle (and leaving renaming off, so I couldn't call him Rustle Brands):

@DrManiac - do you mean UW Evo, or like 'getting there in the first place'?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I actually thought LA Agartha previously was pretty solid (although this may have been under CBM, can't remember). The other ages were definitely lackluster. Also LA Ulm could really be a superpower if you can get their blood developed and turn into a vampire nation. I could see them being better now with ranged weapons piercing shields (rangers are a solid unit).

I've been really trying to get the Carrion Woods version of MA Pan to work, but am at a loss. Their mages suck outside of the Pans, and you need a bunch of magic on pretender and scales for freespawn. Any advice?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

DrManiac posted:

What magic school has the spells that allow you to attack underwater with your army? I'm in a 1 v 1 against a aquatic nation and I just need to finish them off.

I completely took over the map aside from a small island I can't get to. I need a way to travel over water so I can take out his ocean based Providences.
VVVV

I don't have a useful save available to me at the moment, (and I don't know what nation you're using) so I'm just going to offer a few general ideas.

Hrmm... if you're just facing an AI opponent, undead commanders and troops are often poor amphibians and very accessible. There's also usually a coastal province with Icithyds (spelling?) which certainly won't win you any real battles, but may provide chaff for any supercombatants/thugs you do send down.

Water breathing items you can forge primarily require air. There are a few that require gems of multiple types, and a few that require water gems. Water skill is fairly easy to boost into higher levels. The individual (see thug) water breathing items are fairly pretty low requirement in gems, paths, and research, but there are a few items that will grant breathing to small armies.

There is one water global that should grant everybody waterbreathing, but I doubt that's accessible to you.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DrManiac posted:

VVVV

Research some construction.

With W1 you can forge some items which grant water breathing.
With W3 you can forge a Sea King Goblet which grants water breathing 50.

If you have death and conjuration you can summon up some poor amphibians (Bane Lord, Harvester of Sorrows, Wraith Lord etc) and kit them out to easily clear water provinces.

Alternatively you can just spam temples and domkill them.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

alansmithee posted:

I actually thought LA Agartha previously was pretty solid (although this may have been under CBM, can't remember). The other ages were definitely lackluster. Also LA Ulm could really be a superpower if you can get their blood developed and turn into a vampire nation. I could see them being better now with ranged weapons piercing shields (rangers are a solid unit).

I've been really trying to get the Carrion Woods version of MA Pan to work, but am at a loss. Their mages suck outside of the Pans, and you need a bunch of magic on pretender and scales for freespawn. Any advice?

I'm playing them in testrandom; took a sleeping titan of war and wisdom with a4 e4 s5 5dom t3 g3 l3 m3.
Went turmoil cause your pop dies anyways and then growth and magic to get more and better manikin.
It's turn 32 now and my cap still has 14k pop, so I suppose order is not totally out of the question.
You don't need a high dominion as your temples are only 100 gold and you need them to get more undead.
Don't take a lot if any sloth, you'll need to hire plenty of troops early on and they continue being decent later on.
Seven or so of the female centaurs with a harpy can take most indies, don't use the berserking ones.
Alteration and enchantment will be your most useful research paths I think.
Get a good mother oak up, you want those nature gems to get carrion lords.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demiurge4 posted:

So Caelum is pretty poo poo huh? That's a shame because I like them thematically, I suppose my next choice would be Agartha or Ulm, both of those are pretty cool as well as Helheim. Basically all the cold nations seem really cool. I'll have to not get attached to certain pretenders for their look and go by stats, but I'll sign up for that newbie game so I can be easy fodder and hopefully learn a little doing so!

As Lilli said, Caelum's actually really, really good. EA and MA at least. In Dom3 it was somewhat hampered by its main form of attack being pretty easy to become immune to, which combined with their single focus giving them a relatively weak endgame, but given the new resistance mechanics and there being a way to win besides "annihilate everyone else" they're doing better, to say the least.

Also, looking for a better nation and thinking about Agartha... Ooh boy. I think MA Agartha is/was in the running for worst nation in the game? Helheim's good but the slow-to-recruit change (and particularly it being applied to their main research mage in addition to their actual best unit) has brought them down a peg from Dom3. Not sure about Ulm, but I've heard people describing issues with how they're the non-magic nation in a game where magic is what wins, so. At the least, if you play them, don't fall into the trap of going Construction first; despite what you might think it doesn't help them.

But, yeah. Again, as Lilli said, Caelum's not an easy nation to use and probably doesn't make a good starter nation either, since they play a bit differently from the other nations and will probably teach you bad habits. Go with... Hm, crud, I don't know what the good newbie nations are. Not a water nation though, those play differently as well. Freespawn-popkill nations (MA Ermor, LA R'lyeh, Asphodel, I think Lemuria) aren't good choices either. I guess someone with a strong focus on at least one path for learning battlemagic (Abysia with Fire, for example) wouldn't be a bad start, since battlemagic is a thing you /need/ to learn. The *heims aren't actually bad either, for learning about things like gearing thugs and raiding, but I don't know if they're the best first choice.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'd argue that Tien'Chi in either EA or MA is a great first choice of nation. You've got broad path access on your cap only mages, cheap researchers, and a broad selection of decent troops to play around with. You've even got decent sacreds in EA if you want to mess around with a bless. If you want to learn how blood works, Mictlan is an excellent choice, as blessed jags will carry your early game, and Mictlan priests with dowsing rods make for fantastic hunters once you start dabbling in more blood spells.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I have actually been messing about with Abysia EA and MA. I like MA because they get humanbred which are decently cheap and effective and with order 3 I can't even spend my money fast enough (the main costs are buildings which are on average 3-400g more than normal). But the guys on IRC tell me that abysia infantry is infact quite poo poo. They cost tons of resources and they have very poor strategic speed which is a handicap against human opponents, and their holy unit costs something ridiculous like 41 resources so they're hard to spam for a bless strategy. Abysia in MA (where they have the good infantry) also have all their mages start old, so once the time spell hits they are all dead. Unless I could transition abysia somehow into a completely demon based mage economy they just aren't viable late game.

I've toyed around with Ulm who have glamour on everything which seems strong, but that could just be against independents. I think the place where I am weakest right now is not knowing item construction and mage paths. So I'll have to look into that to really plan out a strategy for where I want to go magic wise. I'm probably going to try out more of the barbarian nations with a heavy magic focus or just go for the undead hordes of Ermor :v:

Edit: How do people prioritise mages? I really, really hate pulling them off research to go to war because while 3 mages spamming fireballs is great, I just want to race down the research paths for the good stuff.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Scelaria is probably going to serve you better than Ermor.

Any era of Arcos is probably good for beginners, also.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
3.99h is on the way once it goes through desura's approval process
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/version-399h

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Abysia in MA (where they have the good infantry) also have all their mages start old, so once the time spell hits they are all dead. Unless I could transition abysia somehow into a completely demon based mage economy they just aren't viable late game.

Don't even need BoT for that. Warlocks are so old they may as well start diseased.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Don't even need BoT for that. Warlocks are so old they may as well start diseased.

It's worse for Anathemant Dragons.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
3.99 h is out and you can download it now!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Speaking of, did they fix aging for Atlanteans? The whole goddamn lore of the race is based on Atlanteans not "aging" but "continuously growing" (same with Aboleths, iirc) so they should at least be immune to aging if not get like neg-age.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Niefelheim is a really powerful and easy to play nation which has a lot of flexibility:

1. You can bless Jotun Giants and have them kill everything by walking toward it
2. You can recruit some skinshifters and kill everything by maiming it

It is this vast array of strategies that makes it a strong nation.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Jotun Giants are the size 4 giants, you mean niefel giants right?

Also, dont forget as a blood nation Abysia can forge boots of youth and cast blood feast to stave off aging afflictions on important mages. That and take growth scales. Ive played MA abysia and aging isnt as huge an issue as it seems.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

TheDemon posted:

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/version-399h

I'm downloading it now.

I love awkward races like agartha, atlantis, fomoria, even though I'm not any good. It's already come up previously, but...

The rescaling of research and slow to recruit makes low cost sacred mage-priests like Earth readers a lot more efficent with some magic scales in terms of gold and time compared to some of the high end mages, but I'm absolutely horrified to realize that the lowly Earth Reader (1E, 1 random) is
1). Their only non-capital mage in early age.
2). Their only non-STR mage in the early age.
3). You need a fortress, temple, and lab (minimum 1500 gold) to recruit more of them.

I'm a bit horrified, all things considered. I didn't realize things were quite this bad. Even though LA Atlantis is in much the same boat, I wasn't nearly as shocked. In fact, Angakoks might actually be a better buy than the oracles despite coming two eras later.

Hidden in sand is moderately accessible at 6 and boosts my access to death, but are there any better options for summonable mage-commanders?

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 25, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LordSloth posted:

I'm a bit horrified, all things considered. I didn't realize things were quite this bad. Even though LA Atlantis is in much the same boat, I wasn't nearly as shocked. In fact, Angakoks might actually be a better buy than the oracles despite coming two eras later.

I always thought that was sort of how it was supposed to be - EA tends to have absurdly powerful cap-only mages, while LA has more institutionalized magic, so that your line mages tend to be great and your cap only mages are better, but not overwhelmingly so (or if they're better mages, they tend to not have really special things like flight, awe, being a giant, etc.).

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: How do people prioritise mages? I really, really hate pulling them off research to go to war because while 3 mages spamming fireballs is great, I just want to race down the research paths for the good stuff.
Every newbie has this issue until you realize what good is having X level research if you're not putting those spells to good use? I'd rather have twice as much land, gold, forts, and troops than X level research. The thing about research is that you wanna hit key spells for your mid/end game plans, but after that you can refocus on taking land.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

I always thought that was sort of how it was supposed to be - EA tends to have absurdly powerful cap-only mages, while LA has more institutionalized magic, so that your line mages tend to be great and your cap only mages are better, but not overwhelmingly so (or if they're better mages, they tend to not have really special things like flight, awe, being a giant, etc.).

Well...
EA Agartha 1 earth, 1 random. That's the only non-capitol mage. Looking at the recruit screen and seeing just 1E is at first a bit horrifying. Then you look a little closer. Ulm has better recruit-anywhere mages. Ulm.

MA Agartha has 1 earth no random earth readers - and the 1F1W2E Golem Crafters.

Between EA Atlantis (no cold-blooded, darkvision, elemental resists) and the other 'giant' races, I'm not sure why I'd want to play Agartha. If I wanted recruit anywhere sacred giants, Fomoria has unmarked. That said, the King of the Deep is significantly more expensive.

My whole Dom3 plans for Agartha revolved around those E3 mages. I know I can an Earth reader to an effective e3 with little effort, but I was just shocked by the E1 w/o seeing the random at first glance. Still, that's just a whole lot less mage power with less alternative than I'm used to.

I might join that newbie game since I'm so out of practice and see what I can pull off with Agartha as a handicap.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 26, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Another problem with Caelum is they're almost hard countered by thugs/SCs with shock resist gear. Which your enemies are almost sure to build.

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008
Regarding LA Ulm, what's the best use of the vampires from Sanguine Heritage? Do you use them as commanders, thugs, communion mages?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Another problem with Caelum is they're almost hard countered by thugs/SCs with shock resist gear. Which your enemies are almost sure to build.

This is no longer even remotely true. Gear that used to give 100% shock resist now gives 15, and lightning spells can easily blow through that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

how does the new resistance interact with stamina damage from spells? if you have 15 resistance and get hit by a 10 damage lightning attack, is the fatigue damage negated as well?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

This is no longer even remotely true. Gear that used to give 100% shock resist now gives 15, and lightning spells can easily blow through that.

But my thunderstrike will only hit for 20 instead of 35 :negative:

The resist changes greatly help A nations since lightning is AN and can do a shitload of damage per spell.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

how does the new resistance interact with stamina damage from spells? if you have 15 resistance and get hit by a 10 damage lightning attack, is the fatigue damage negated as well?

The fatigue part is also elemental and reduced separately. For instance lightning bolt is 12+ 1/level damage to the target followed by 10+ 2/level stun to the square.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 26, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

NinjaDebugger posted:

Oh good. They're making a lot of interesting balance changes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

TheDemon posted:

"GAME Horror seed produced a sprite instead of a horror"

Well, that still would have been better than it was in Dom3!

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Sailing is pretty cool you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AfroSquirrel posted:

"GAME Horror seed produced a sprite instead of a horror"

Well, that still would have been better than it was in Dom3!

What did it do in dom3? It never seemed to do anything worthwhile when I tried it.

edit: "Note: This spell is currently bugged and the only effect is that a horror will emerge when the effected unit dies."

Whelp.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 26, 2013

• Locked thread