Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Shop layout tips?

I have just moved and have been blessed with a massive upgrade of a shop. Heres the floor plan

I moved from a one car garage space so I don't even know where to begin! I think the first step for me needs to be setting up a large wood storage area (I collect/horde salvaged wood). I have a cabinet saw Ill be building an outfeed table and side table for so that will take up a lot of space, then also a jointer, a miter saw station against a wall and a hand tool workbench. I have a Harbor Freight dust collector Ill be putting outside under a deck

If anyone has any tips about locating machines and setting up a new shop Im all ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't have a whole lot to offer, but when I built my 16' work bench, I did this with my miter saw:

and it's freakin' AWESOME. Note that I actually ran a dedicated 15A line along the wall under the bench with a series of outlets for tools that were going to live there, such as the saw, so you don't actually see any cords now. Also, that panel at the right end is hinged:

and it flips up to reveal a sanding station:

which has also proven to be hella sweet. I did eventually build a box under those panels and put ducting on it back to my collector so I have a nice large downdraft area, and storage on the left for sanders and such.

I'm also a huge fan of solutions like this for less often used tools, like my planer:

(Nevermind the construction, it was what I had on hand.) ;)

That's about all I got to offer you. Congrats on the upgrade, 41' is killer. I was in a one-car garage as well until I moved to my 2-car space, it felt sooooo big...for a month, until I filled it up with more poo poo. :negative:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 25, 2013

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bad Munki posted:

I don't have a whole lot to offer, but when I built my 16' work bench, I did this with my miter saw:

I managed to salvage 20' of particleboard/plastic counter top that I plan on doing the exact same thing with. I'm planning on making adjustable backstops to keep things square at 2',4',8' and 10' increments.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was just going to drill a few holes in the surface to drop dogs into for that purpose. Never got around to it, but that was (still is?) the plan. ;)

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I really like having a fence along the entire length of the miter saw station, with sliding stops. Make repeatable cuts so easy. My stops don't flip up which is annoying, but I plan on changing them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I left mine without a fence for the length because that's my primary workbench and the fence would have basically nullified the whole thing. If I need to do something repeating, I usually just clamp a board down wherever needed.

I like the large hood, though, that's definitely a good idea.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I left mine without a fence for the length because that's my primary workbench and the fence would have basically nullified the whole thing. If I need to do something repeating, I usually just clamp a board down wherever needed.

I like the large hood, though, that's definitely a good idea.

I have a copy of woodsmith or some mag like that somewhere where they made fences designed to drop into dog holes. The pegs had large rubber sections and when you flipped up the cams it would compress the rubber and lock it into the dogs. It was pretty slick.

edit: ShopNotes #98 actually

kafkasgoldfish fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 26, 2013

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
A fence that dropped into dog holes is a great idea.

The hood is a bunch of cutoffs and two kitchen garbage bags stapled to it. Cost me about $.05 and works really well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dwoloz posted:

Shop layout tips?

Traditional way is to start with milling tools, tablesaw, jointer, planer; then work back. That alcove on the left looks like a dedicated finishing room to me.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I built a tool chest this weekend, it was getting to be too much, I didn't have enough storage for my tools. I built this fairly quickly out of oak veneer plywood. It's nice building with sheet goods, everything is straight and it all goes together very quickly. I made all my cuts with a straightedge and a circular saw, the drawers are all rabbets I did on my router. I really want to get a router table, I ended up having to do a lot of the drawer parts in two passes because of clamps and whatnot.

You can see the jewelry cabinet in the corner, I'm working on the final details now. Finish is almost done, 4 coats of shellac and a coat of wax after some buffing. Need to do one more coat of wax on the front and inside back.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I built a tool chest this weekend,

Looks great. The vertical grain is really throwing my brain around.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well I'm pissed off. I was turning my first box, bumped the motor fan with my knee and broke it off. That alone wouldn't be catastrophic as the motor might be fine without it but I no longer have variable speed, it's full tilt instantly. No wires were knocked loose. There was a magnet inside the fan that must be tied in to the speed control. I'll hook up another DC motor until I get a smaller screw extractor. Grrrr.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
So it turns out I have been splitting wood wrong my whole life. This video truly shows anyone how it is done. I made some gifs from it, but they're too big to host.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgyQQGPZwrk

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Uncle Enzo posted:

So it turns out I have been splitting wood wrong my whole life. This video truly shows anyone how it is done. I made some gifs from it, but they're too big to host.

After a few dozen hundred cord he'll have it figured out.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Uncle Enzo posted:

lmao @ the leaping lumberjack

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Hand-planed my first rough board. So, so satisfying.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Uncle Enzo posted:

Haha what the hell. Sandals? Seems like a good way to lose a toe even with uh... normal form.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I love that he's bouncing that 8 pounder off a steel wedge, with the ax end facing him. No, not a terrible idea at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I don't think so. I think he's bouncing it off the log, blade-end first. And doing a hilariously bad job of actually transferring any power into the log, too.

There's very little about that that's good.

I find it most hilarious that he takes as read that you're supposed to start with the thing dangling behind your back and swing it full-arm's-length over your head. gently caress.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It seems like a minor detail in light of everything going on in that video (:stare:) but his blade looks absolutely dull as poo poo, to boot.

Anyhow, needs to get himself a splitting axe like this:

If you're splitting wood by hand, they're the poo poo.

Also, as was said, some boots, he needs some god drat boots. Still angry about that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There were youtube comments about the steel handle but the best maul I ever used had a chrome steel handle and a big equilateral triangle head. The head and handle were hollow but still heavy, drat that thing would split wood though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

It seems like a minor detail in light of everything going on in that video (:stare:) but his blade looks absolutely dull as poo poo, to boot.

Anyhow, needs to get himself a splitting axe like this:

If you're splitting wood by hand, they're the poo poo.

Also, as was said, some boots, he needs some god drat boots. Still angry about that.

For logs that size, wedges and a sledge would probably be better anyway.

But yeah, boots. Though, I have to say, if you're hitting your own foot with an overhead swing like that, you're liable to gently caress it up pretty much regardless of your footwear (steel toecaps would probably help, but not much, an 8 pound axe hitting them is still gonna hurt). Which, of course, is another reason why he's doing it wrong..

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
:dance: My lathe is back up and running.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

rotor posted:

lmao @ the leaping lumberjack

The funnest part was while I was watching him hitting in slow motion, where he has to pull his swing and change grip right before it hits just so he can keep his balance and prevent himself from landing chin-first on a 8lb bouncing maul. He totally fumbles it every time, just before the maul strikes.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 30, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Really want to make a video response to that. Something involving desperate running starts and haphazardly chucking the axe at a log from 20 feet away. "Strongest," I'll call that one.

Also maybe a jump attack where I make a nice big leap and land on the lever for a pneumatic splitter.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I'm in my early thirties going back to school for an art degree, and having a blast. Screw career viability, this is fun.

I'm a metals major, but I got into woodworking last year as an elective, and I'm in love with it. I have rarely had so much fun as I have with a mallet and chisel and a piece of basswood. I've done a few projects so far:

A face

This was my first ever wood carving. The roughing out took forever but I got the details done pretty quickly. Stupidly tried to cover the lamination line with paint and it just looked worse. Sometime I'll sand it down again and just paint the whole thing white. I really like it though.

A bandsaw box

This was fun. The big drawer has a little secret compartment in the back. I used leather dye to get that nice black.

A stool

This I made out of oak, and did an inlay with purple heart and Padauk (I think that's what the orange one is) with a wax finish. I found out that oak is way harder to carve than basswood because it's really fibrous. It was like trying to carve shredded wheat as opposed to a potato. The pictures make the result look a bit better than it was. I had to spackle a few empty spaces with glue and sawdust.

This semester the first project was a relief portrait, and while sketching ideas I came up with this:

It's something that's been knocking around my head for awhile, it means a lot to me for some reason. I really got attached to it, so I was determined to get it done in the three weeks before the project was due. I had to spend pretty much every spare hour in the wood studio on days it was open but I did it.

I documented its creation.

I apologize for the horrible quality of the first few photos, they were taken on my non-smart phone, and for the rest, I'm no good at photography.

Transferring the sketch to the wood. I'm glad the final product didn't look like this.

Why did I even bother taking this picture.

Really not sure what I'm doing here.

OK, starting to come together finally.

Trying to make it more dynamic.

It's accurate but it doesn't look like I wanted it to.

This is more like it.

After a bunch of sanding and carving in the little details. Way to bright, don't know how to use camera.

Graphite is applied.

I think it's better than the sketch. I didn't get much of a reaction during the critique. I worked hard on it and there's still a bunch of work I want to do on it, and I'm really happy with it, and I think that's what matters.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Croisquessein posted:

Graphite is applied.

I think it's better than the sketch. I didn't get much of a reaction during the critique. I worked hard on it and there's still a bunch of work I want to do on it, and I'm really happy with it, and I think that's what matters.

I would own this all day. You should be happy with it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think so. I think he's bouncing it off the log, blade-end first. And doing a hilariously bad job of actually transferring any power into the log, too.

There's very little about that that's good.

I find it most hilarious that he takes as read that you're supposed to start with the thing dangling behind your back and swing it full-arm's-length over your head. gently caress.

Yup! His technique is laughably bad. When splitting you need to give the axe a bit of a twist at the end so that it doesn't wedge in, and sort of bounces to the side. It's pretty easy to do after you get the hang of it, but hard to explain. That way you are transferring "most" of the energy into the log and only going for a straight cut when it is apparent you're going to go right through. While sharpness isn't the biggest factor when splitting, I think the "sharp" and dull ends of his splitter were only different by a slim margin.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That was something I picked up too. An even moderately sharp maul wouldn't be bounding off like that. He also needed something solid to strike against, that only added to the bounce.

If someone could have made a video about exactly how not to do what he was doing, they basically couldn't have done a worse job without actually doing it blindfold.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Actually I'm pretty sure he uses the hangtime on those sweet jumps to summon the rest of his supersaiyan powers, it's a wonder there's even any log left after his "strongest" mode.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Uggh, it's simple physics, guys. The farther away something is when it starts accelerating the faster it will be going when it reaches the target. So by starting his swing 6' away and with the head hanging behind him, arcing it over him while jumping lets him maximize the travel time and therefore the amount of force he can apply to accelerate the tool. The lack of bulky protective clothing and footwear allow for a less encumbered and more dextrous aerial motion that ensures an accurate strike which obviates the need for any protection in the first place.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe someone more skilled than I can clean up the loop. I would love to watch him wail on that log all day.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Today in: Hypnolobster uses lots of dangerous chainsaw related tools, the log wizard!

261 Stihl, 16" bar with two holes drilled in, as well as the whole sprocket nose drilled out, an 18" chain and the glorious log wizard. Uses standard 3 1/4" planer blades and hogs through wood like nobodys business.

I use it for stripping bark rapidly, and for doing round notches in timbers (and sometimes for cleaning up flat laps and stuff). It's pretty brutal to use. Takes a lot of practice and you can't just set it on the wood and drag, you have to sort of float and it's hell on the arms after a while. That's fresh black locust in the picture.

I do normal, regular woodworking too sometimes, but I do this a lot more :v:

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

wormil posted:

I would own this all day. You should be happy with it.

Thanks! I mostly got "That's creepy" which I get, but I think of him as pathetic and lonely so I don't feel he's creepy.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Croisquessein posted:

I'm in my early thirties going back to school for an art degree, and having a blast. Screw career viability, this is fun.

I'm a metals major, but I got into woodworking last year as an elective, and I'm in love with it. I have rarely had so much fun as I have with a mallet and chisel and a piece of basswood. I've done a few projects so far:

A face

This was my first ever wood carving. The roughing out took forever but I got the details done pretty quickly. Stupidly tried to cover the lamination line with paint and it just looked worse. Sometime I'll sand it down again and just paint the whole thing white. I really like it though.

A bandsaw box

This was fun. The big drawer has a little secret compartment in the back. I used leather dye to get that nice black.

A stool

This I made out of oak, and did an inlay with purple heart and Padauk (I think that's what the orange one is) with a wax finish. I found out that oak is way harder to carve than basswood because it's really fibrous. It was like trying to carve shredded wheat as opposed to a potato. The pictures make the result look a bit better than it was. I had to spackle a few empty spaces with glue and sawdust.

This semester the first project was a relief portrait, and while sketching ideas I came up with this:

It's something that's been knocking around my head for awhile, it means a lot to me for some reason. I really got attached to it, so I was determined to get it done in the three weeks before the project was due. I had to spend pretty much every spare hour in the wood studio on days it was open but I did it.

I documented its creation.

I apologize for the horrible quality of the first few photos, they were taken on my non-smart phone, and for the rest, I'm no good at photography.

Transferring the sketch to the wood. I'm glad the final product didn't look like this.

Why did I even bother taking this picture.

Really not sure what I'm doing here.

OK, starting to come together finally.

Trying to make it more dynamic.

It's accurate but it doesn't look like I wanted it to.

This is more like it.

After a bunch of sanding and carving in the little details. Way to bright, don't know how to use camera.

Graphite is applied.

Are you an ASU student? I'm in Wood I this semester and I swear to god you have the exact same syllabus.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

pageerror404 posted:

Are you an ASU student? I'm in Wood I this semester and I swear to god you have the exact same syllabus.

Wow! Herberger represent! I don't think I posted my syllabus, but yeah. Which one was yours?

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Croisquessein posted:

Wow! Herberger represent! I don't think I posted my syllabus, but yeah. Which one was yours?

The mask and the bandsaw box gave it away.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If you remember the drawer front I posted about here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=418358149

Here is the finished chest of drawers that will be auctioned and the money used for charitable events.
5th row, 3rd from left (between Wright Bros & Chess) is from Garrett Hack who always signs his work in Morse code.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Croisquessein, that's splendid work. Absolutely faboo.

I must hate you now. My envytronic ways are burning through the screen at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Checker
Mar 27, 2004
David Hasselhoff Fanboi

dwoloz posted:

Found it on Craigslist, got lucky. I have a bunch of saved searches as RSS for things Im looking for.

Thanks for the link; that base is amazing. Almost as good as the original art deco cast iron (almost as heavy too)

Update:

Started messing around with the jointer some more piecing it together and noticed a chunk of metal rod in the parts box the guy gave me. Pretty sure these were once one

gently caress.
Options? This is the adjusting screw to control the outfeed table. The break seemed to occur where there used to be a roll-pin which I think stopped against the front of the machine casting to keep the screw in place (and move the internal part)

Edit: Found a JET adusting screw that looks similar but doubt it would fit
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/adjusting-screw-p-439867.html

Looks like a pretty simple fix for a machine shop, grind, weld(or braze) and drill. If you can't find a replacement or a local shop that doesn't want to charge you a million dollars I wouldn't mind fixing it, wahkeen at gmail.com