Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

That only happened because their former mayor was such an inordinate scumbag that his actions were inexcusable for San Diegans. And san diegans have had some corrupt motherfuckers.

Mayor Sexpest's opponent in the election was an openly gay Republican - and he wasn't even the only gay Republican who ran for mayor that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

enraged_camel posted:

I'm not sure if you fully grasp the logic here. Them being paid little is not what is making them feel like easily replaceable cogs. They are being paid little because they are easily replaceable cogs.

The pizza shop under my apartment had a sign yesterday morning that said "experienced pizza cooks wanted." Do you know how long the sign stayed there? 4 hours. If someone can find your replacement in under 4 hours, guess how much they are going to pay you.

Okay, I understand this logic, but tell me more about where you're trying to go here. What point are you trying to make here? Are you trying to say that the cooks and waiters are just pointless cogs? That any unionization effort will not be worthwhile because they're so replaceable that if someone tries to form one, they'd get fired immediately, making unions impossible?

If that's the case, then the issue would be about policies to protect worker's rights.

Anyways, I don't know what is the overall statement you're making here.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Pigasus posted:

Okay, I understand this logic, but tell me more about where you're trying to go here. What point are you trying to make here? Are you trying to say that the cooks and waiters are just pointless cogs? That any unionization effort will not be worthwhile because they're so replaceable that if someone tries to form one, they'd get fired immediately, making unions impossible?

If that's the case, then the issue would be about policies to protect worker's rights.

Anyways, I don't know what is the overall statement you're making here.
The original point was that fast food jobs were never meant to be career jobs, that they still won't be career jobs with a pay increase, and that effort would be better spent making other opportunities available.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

OneEightHundred posted:

The original point was that fast food jobs were never meant to be career jobs, that they still won't be career jobs with a pay increase, and that effort would be better spent making other opportunities available.

The point of minimum wage increases isn't to turn them into viable career jobs, it's to provide a living wage so people working those jobs have an easier time doing what they need to do to find better opportunities.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

nachos posted:

The point of minimum wage increases isn't to turn them into viable career jobs, it's to provide a living wage so people working those jobs have an easier time doing what they need to do to find better opportunities.

A higher wage won't solve this. Most retail/food service places like to treat their employees as if they're on call. Have school/a second job/another priority? Don't care! Work this shift or you're fired!:rant:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Forceholy posted:

A higher wage won't solve this. Most retail/food service places like to treat their employees as if they're on call. Have school/a second job/another priority? Don't care! Work this shift or you're fired!:rant:

A higher wage allows people to be able to begin to save and resist that. A higher wage means the cost of training increases and thus incentives companies to reduce turnover.

Regardless of the fact that you're basically arguing that if we can't fix the whole system at once, we shouldn't try to make it not as awful for those in it.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Weembles posted:

Mayor Sexpest's opponent in the election was an openly gay Republican - and he wasn't even the only gay Republican who ran for mayor that year.

I'm just astounded at the diversity of candidates (and the diversity of those candidates) in California. Here in Utah, we've got a grand total of three or four serious candidates for anything who aren't white men. And that's more than we've ever had before.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Look, guys, if you aren't a special snowflake that stands out from the crowd and promotes synergy, you deserve to starve slowly. Do you think we can just have run-of-the-mill nobodies consuming adequate calories? They don't even engage in any creative destruction!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

In other California news, there's this: Covered California is the new Obamacare health care plan marketplace for California citizens. I spent a little time looking through it today. Seems that if you qualify, you can get pretty decent individual health insurance from several different providers for very good prices. And if you're poor (like my unemployed brother), it's heavily subsidized. I think given his income (less than 150% of the poverty level) he can probably get a decent "silver" plan for under $60 a month after subsidy, which is fantastic.

It is blindingly obvious, looking over the example rates, that this is lowering the cost of health insurance for most people.

You can start looking at plans now, they go on sale October, and everyone has to have health insurance starting January 1st.

My job gives a terrible plan compared to the gold/bronze. Is there any way I can inform the IRS that i'm not going to be using my work insurance so they don't get the 2000/person credit card-thing-credit? Nobody uses it due to the insane restrictions on them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have no idea, and I'm not even sure I know what credit card thing you're referring to. But, I suspect that once these plans shape up and establish themselves for a while, a lot of employers are going to get pressure from their employees - and pass that pressure on to their health care providers - to offer rates that are at least competitive with the zero-subsidy rates offered on the exchange. My hope is that rates overall are pushed down as a result.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

All Of The Dicks posted:

Look, guys, if you aren't a special snowflake that stands out from the crowd and promotes synergy, you deserve to starve slowly. Do you think we can just have run-of-the-mill nobodies consuming adequate calories? They don't even engage in any creative destruction!

Agh loving buzzwords and waterfalls of bullshit. Make it stop.
Corporate rule, worst rule. Send me to the gulags but for gods sakes don't make me read one more book about our Matrix-like digital economy, or about how globalism is like Hitler, Mao, and Genghis Khan sitting around a plate of bananas flambé.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

agarjogger posted:

Agh loving buzzwords and waterfalls of bullshit. Make it stop.
Corporate rule, worst rule. Send me to the gulags but for gods sakes don't make me read one more book about our Matrix-like digital economy, or about how globalism is like Hitler, Mao, and Genghis Khan sitting around a plate of bananas flambé.

Why don't you found a startup and get a few hundred million in VC to develop an App that does that if you care so much.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

Why don't you found a startup and get a few hundred million in VC to develop an App that does that if you care so much.

Thank God Valleywag is back in business.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Trabisnikof posted:

A higher wage allows people to be able to begin to save and resist that. A higher wage means the cost of training increases and thus incentives companies to reduce turnover.

Regardless of the fact that you're basically arguing that if we can't fix the whole system at once, we shouldn't try to make it not as awful for those in it.

On the other end of the balance there is the "Golden Handcuff" situation. Where you do get paid for your time but you are essentially a corporate slave for a company. In NYC, I saw a ton of friends that were in this situation and were working 5-6 weeks 10-12 hours at corporate jobs. They didn't want to leave because of the salary and were hoping for better positions within the company so they could work less.

The entire work/life balance in the US from the bottom to the top is out of wack.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Big story in the New York Times of all places today about San Jose's difficulties with their general fund and particularly the effort to cut the pensions of city employees. I'm of mixed opinion on this issue, and I think the article has a bit too much scare-talk from cops about how their lives are now ruined, but I found this part in the article particularly telling:

quote:

Cities in California are under particular pressure because it is so difficult to raise property taxes in the state, and because in 1999, at the height of the tech bubble, the Legislature voted for a huge benefit increase allowing, for instance, police officers to retire at age 50 with 90 percent of their salaries.

“We have this all over the state of California,” said Karol K. Denniston, a bankruptcy lawyer with the firm of Schiff Hardin in San Francisco, who is advising a number of local taxpayer groups. “There is growing recognition that there is not enough money to keep doing what they’re doing, and something’s got to change.”

Yet another drawback of Prop 8! Even so, state minds seem to think the solution is to go after local unions instead.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You mean prop 13.

I can tell you, as a county employee, the only thing keeping our best, most experienced employees for leaving for the private sector and a basically doubling (or more) of pay is that they get a pension in 10 years or so. That and legitimate vacations.
It all fits into the plan though, they more that governments are gutted of proper staffing by underpayment, under funding, and now reductions of benefits makes the whole "government workers are terrible ergo, gently caress government" thing a reality.
Also, since when did working for a government mean I'm supposed to take a vow of poverty?

nm fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 25, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

enraged_camel posted:

The only exception is nationally recognized fast-food chains. And guess why those are successful: because there are "business vampires" at the top of the enterprise marking the poo poo out of the business. People have heard about Chipotle because of ads on TV and the Internet, not because of their master chefs.

I have never seen a Chipotle ad. I heard of them because I knew people who liked to eat there DESPITE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA AT THE TIME WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE WHY DOES CHIPOTLE EVEN EXIST IN CALIFORNIA?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VideoTapir posted:

I have never seen a Chipotle ad. I heard of them because I knew people who liked to eat there DESPITE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA AT THE TIME WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE WHY DOES CHIPOTLE EVEN EXIST IN CALIFORNIA?

I went to a newly opened Chipotle last week in my area. Everyone was talking it up as awesome fast food. I was incredibly let down and had the worst stomach ache after eating it. I burrito drink and chips came to about 8$.

I can go to the best taqueria in town, and get a giant burrito, fresh chips, and a Mexican Coke for less than that. It will taste better, be better for me, and support a local business instead of some giant franchise / corporation.

Chipotle is loving stupid.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I went to a newly opened Chipotle last week in my area. Everyone was talking it up as awesome fast food. I was incredibly let down and had the worst stomach ache after eating it. I burrito drink and chips came to about 8$.

I can go to the best taqueria in town, and get a giant burrito, fresh chips, and a Mexican Coke for less than that. It will taste better, be better for me, and support a local business instead of some giant franchise / corporation.

Chipotle is loving stupid.

If I'm not mistaken, some locations used to give out free drinks to college students or something, and people have kept going out of habit despite being overpriced and mediocre.

At least it isn't Senior Froggy or Taco Time. :barf: I'm pretty sure both chains would be run out of town if they came down here.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I can go to the best taqueria in town, and get a giant burrito, fresh chips, and a Mexican Coke for less than that. It will taste better, be better for me...
If you think your local taqueria isn't using the cheapest stuff available to it, you're in for a surprise. I'm not seeing why it would be any better for you than Chipotle.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Hog Obituary posted:

If you think your local taqueria isn't using the cheapest stuff available to it, you're in for a surprise. I'm not seeing why it would be any better for you than Chipotle.

Yeah, they use the absolute cheapest materials, and be wary of ordering a drink - unless you ask for top shelf, you're getting sangria instead of tequila.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There are large swaths of northern california where the local "taqueria" is in fact worse than Chipotle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hog Obituary posted:

Yeah, there's a reason why food trucks in New York were bitching because they had to do things like "have actual hygiene standards".

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You guys have loving Freebirds and you're going to Chipotle what is wrong with you? Do you need another invasion of people from the plains states who will actually appreciate the tenets of civilization that you guys apparently take for granted?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hog Obituary posted:

It's not like its health food, and I am in no way claiming it to be. I know they make their own tortillas and that the salsa is fresh every day. They also use locally sourced free range chicken. I would call that much better than chipolte.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sword of Chomsky posted:

It's not like its health food, and I am in no way claiming it to be. I know they make their own tortillas and that the salsa is fresh every day. They also use locally sourced free range chicken. I would call that much better than chipolte.

You realize Chipotle is in fact the worst fast food resturant to make this argument about. Is chipotle mexican? Hell no. But they're all over the natural food movement. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos)

Just sayin.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

You realize Chipotle is in fact the worst fast food resturant to make this argument about. Is chipotle mexican? Hell no. But they're all over the natural food movement. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos)

Just sayin.

I don't know where Chipotle gets their food from, I just know it was horrible. Now excuse me while I go eat at my local Taqueira that is amazing.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

They cook everything in lard. That is why it tastes better.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That place only locals know about tastes better than chain restaurant, what a shocker! Next you'll be telling me that the surfing is better in San Diego than in Reno.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Well excuse me for chiming in on something being discussed in the thread.

Maybe you should just eat some good Mexican food and relax?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Edit: I won't propagate foodchat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Well excuse me for chiming in on something being discussed in the thread.

Maybe you should just eat some good Mexican food and relax?

I'm more secretly frustrated you won't share your mexican food knowledge. Also, someone mentioned Freebirds, which is the only place I know in Cali that has "real" queso.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

VideoTapir posted:

Chipotle Ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE

They're decent. Are there better places to get food, yes. Are they the best, no. But they're not bad. It's taken on a life of its own and they do their own thing. I usually will grab a burrito once a week, and it's decent and filling. If I wanted a stellar burrito, I'd go to one of the many, many Mexican restaurants around, but I probably can't order one of those online, and have it ready in 5 minutes.

Edit: Why are people whining about having a Chipotle? It is hardly the most pressing issue to bring up in this thread.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Did you know there are local hamburger restaurants in California! Why would anyone eat at Burger King?!

Did you guys know that there are lots of Taco Bells here too? Scandalous!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Did you know there are local hamburger restaurants in California! Why would anyone eat at Burger King?!

Did you guys know that there are lots of Taco Bells here too? Scandalous!

Only Taco Bell I can point to on a map is across the street from Tom's on Rampart. The fact it hasn't closed down due to lack of customers leads me to believe it's a money laundering front.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

VideoTapir posted:

That's a good question. There are even a couple of Chipoltles in San Francisco, even though there is an awesome real taqueria within a few blocks of you pretty much anywhere in the city. I suspect that the tourists go to them because they are frightened to try anything they don't already recognize.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys, they exist for the same reason that Starbucks exists (and existed right alongside good local cafe's, and drove thousands of them out of business) despite having arguably worse coffee and definitely higher prices; because people crave conformity, predictability, a certain clean upscale-feeling environment, and the food is acceptably good.

Even I occasionally go to Chipoltle, when I want what they serve (I like the barbacoa). Even though I can also get an excellent burrito or whatever at any of a dozen other taquerias in my neighborhood. It's not really that difficult a concept to grasp. They're clean, they serve you quickly, you get exactly the thing you are expecting, it tastes exactly the same as it did the last time you got it, and paying two bucks more is trivial to most of their customers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^
I basically agree with this, and I'm kind of a taco snob normally. Sometimes you just want something "normal" and quick.

Trabisnikof posted:

There are large swaths of northern california where the local "taqueria" is in fact worse than Chipotle.

I challenge this. Certainly nowhere large enough to have a Chipotle.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

nm posted:

I challenge this. Certainly nowhere large enough to have a Chipotle.

Where I live it's certainly the case. I've been to 3-4 of the local taquerias and god drat I wish we had Chipotle. When you gently caress up a quesadilla (tasted like salt and oil) or nachos (salt... Only salt), there's something wrong. We have McDonalds, Carls Jr., Taco Bell... we have the potential population and traffic flow through to support a good fast food place, and there are certainly people here that would go to Chipotle due to the "ingredient sourcing" aspect of Chipotle.

And I was really hoping to enjoy the place with the dude yelling/singing along with the mariachi music while he was cooking :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
As a massive (get it) taco shop fan, I on occasion get a serious Taco Bell craving.

I am not sorry.

• Locked thread