Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Crowder still seems like he's young enough to maybe come around the other side. He seems really disillusioned by GOP politics. For as much crap as the GOP gives Dems about being young starry-eyed idealists they sure require a lot of that from their followers. Maybe instead of being head over heels for Obama like a lot of young people were he got suckered into being an Alex P. Keaton type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Michael Savage-to-afternoons announcement on those Cumulus-owned stations that had Hannity was made official today.

Also Gretchen Carlson is resurfacing on Fox News with a daily show in the 2PM hour:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/25/fox-news-channel-to-debut-the-real-story-with-gretchen-carlson-on-monday-september-30th/204958/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gy7xtZ2pRg

Did this already get posted?

Mr. Bow Tie is convinced that the President is being racist at the CBC meeting, but for some unknown reason Chris Wallace just can't see it.

Ok so what the gently caress is it with the right-wing and appropriating left-wing vocabulary about a half-decade late? I think that's the first time I've heard a fox news type say 'dog-whistle racism' ever. Is it an intentional attempt at muddying the water or are they really *that* isolated from dialogue?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ErIog posted:

Crowder still seems like he's young enough to maybe come around the other side. He seems really disillusioned by GOP politics. For as much crap as the GOP gives Dems about being young starry-eyed idealists they sure require a lot of that from their followers. Maybe instead of being head over heels for Obama like a lot of young people were he got suckered into being an Alex P. Keaton type.
If he was on the other side nobody would take him seriously so I doubt he'll make the switch. He's maybe the only young conservative comedian who is even marginally (marginally) talented, so that career gravity is pulling pretty strongly in one direction.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Necc0 posted:

Ok so what the gently caress is it with the right-wing and appropriating left-wing vocabulary about a half-decade late? I think that's the first time I've heard a fox news type say 'dog-whistle racism' ever. Is it an intentional attempt at muddying the water or are they really *that* isolated from dialogue?

I think it, at least in part, stems from the growing conservative consensus that it is now straight white Christians that are discriminated against. What with the war on Christmas and immigrants/minorities becoming a larger part of society republicans keep pushing that liberals are the real racists, against both whites and blacks, for different reasons.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I think it, at least in part, stems from the growing conservative consensus that it is now straight white Christians that are discriminated against. What with the war on Christmas and immigrants/minorities becoming a larger part of society republicans keep pushing that liberals are the real racists, against both whites and blacks, for different reasons.

I hate whites because of my bleeding-heart liberal guilt and the fervent belief that Western Civilization is the root of all evil in the world.

I hate blacks with the "racism of lowered expectations" by thinking they're so inferior that they can't succeed without affirmative action. Or I use government programs to keep them pacified and under whitey's thumb.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CarterUSM posted:

I hate whites because of my bleeding-heart liberal guilt.

I hate blacks with the "soft racism of lowered expectations" by thinking they're so inferior that they can't succeed without affirmative action. Or I use government programs to keep them pacified and under whitey's thumb.

Don't forget how abortion is the liberals secret war against minorities to push their eugenics beliefs.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Don't forget how abortion is the liberals secret war against minorities to push their eugenics beliefs.

That's right: Margaret Sanger defines the mission of Planned Parenthood, lo these nearly fifty years after her death. She is the lich-queen of abortion.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Meanwhile conservatives advocate for mandatory conscription and childbirth licenses.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I guess this falls under "Great Americans": Shellie Zimmerman has told the press that her totally innocent (that's what not guilty means) husband went on a "victory tour" without her.

:allears:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Still waitin to see what they get off that smashed iPad. Supposedly they were filming him with it. I wonder if he broke it because they filmed him being John Wayne.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Vertical Lime posted:

The Michael Savage-to-afternoons announcement on those Cumulus-owned stations that had Hannity was made official today.

This is going to be so great. Hannity may have lost some luster in the last few years but Savage is an actual closetnutcase built for late night radio once the "normal" people go off to watch Fox News/pester family members/forward racist emails. Moving him to afternoon drive may be the thing that finally kills off many of these looooong time heritage talk stations Cumulus owns.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Still waitin to see what they get off that smashed iPad. Supposedly they were filming him with it. I wonder if he broke it because they filmed him being John Wayne.

Considering the pissfit that happened when Zimmerman TOTALLY SERIOUSLY DIDNT kill a black kid in cold blood and how he started waving his gun around towards his family, what would happen if he decided to shoot another black kid IN SELF DEFENSE?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phone posted:

So I haven't heard anybody talk about Rush today, I'm guessing that the usual group of people who are brave enough to weather his never-ending stream of bullshit have all chomped down on their cyanide filled molar?

I listened for a little bit today and the thing that stood out for me was a new term I hadn't heard before. "Info-babes", particularly "info-babes" from MSNBC because I guess the left wing news outlets like to put pretty faces and big tits on camera to deliver the news and that's sort of their thing or something.

It's really weird, not only because FOX does exactly that as a matter of practice, but Rush also likes to make fun of Rachael Maddow, Chelsea Clinton, Janet Reno, Hillary and basically all lesbians for being "ugly" and "mannish" or whatever so I don't even know.

The Atlantic I guess set up some sort of "Women in Politics" seminar or something today and rush said "can you imagine how many 'ball restraints' were present at that meeting" or something to that effect. Yeah, it was pretty hilarious.

I know that I want my news delivered to me by fat, cigar smoking, oxycontin riddled, deaf, sweating blowhards, but I'm funny that way. I had to turn it off after 5 minutes, since I don't want my exposed to it. He's 2.5 and likes classic rock. When he heard Rush he said "listen to guitars, please?" so "Sweet Child O' Mine" it was.

You really don;t have to listen long to hear an outright lie, distortion of the truth, logical inconsistency, self contradiction, racist dog whistle, out of context quote or misleading statistic. Al Franken used to play a game with it and see if he could make it to the airport before Rush told a lie. He never did. Try it. Listen for 5 or 10 minutes and see if you don't happen upon one of those things.

Another lady called and said "I am just so interested and obsessed with the truth and the only place I can go to hear it is your show". That's when I turned it off.

Necc0 posted:

I think it's a combination of conservatives always being the last to know or learn anything (Well of course interracial marriage is OK) and the whole " New Country Music Video Looks Like Old Rock Video" thing.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 26, 2013

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This is going to be so great. Hannity may have lost some luster in the last few years but Savage is an actual closetnutcase built for late night radio once the "normal" people go off to watch Fox News/pester family members/forward racist emails. Moving him to afternoon drive may be the thing that finally kills off many of these looooong time heritage talk stations Cumulus owns.

He did HORRIBLE when he was on WOR in NYC. This is gonna be fun to watch...

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it's a combination of conservatives always being the last to know or learn anything

e.g. "Teabaggers" as a political movement.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

bigtom posted:

He is going to go up against Hannity on WOR. Wasn't it mentioned that the whole point of this was for Cumulus to sink both men's radio careers?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Vertical Lime posted:

He is going to go up against Hannity on WOR. Wasn't it mentioned that the whole point of this was for Cumulus to sink both men's radio careers?

Cumulus just wants their own lineup of talk shows to pump out to their talk stations and any suckers that are willing to carry them, but the Limbaughs, Hannitys, or even Levins are expensive. So out come the bargain brand knockoffs like Geraldo, Huckabee and now Savage who sued to get out of his last contact with a syndicator. I'm sure he's just Hannity insurance that cost less than the 15-20% or so of Hannity's tab they were picking up as part of a joint agreement.

Geraldo is.....odd, Huckabee can actually be charming sometimes with his good 'ol boy schtick, but for the life of me I can't think of another 6 hours block of unpleasantness that can stack up to Savage and Levin back to back M-F. It's like they're actively trying to push people away from these stations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bigtom posted:

Did he? Like ninety percent of his callers came from WOR when I listened.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
OK, so apparently Glenn Beck thinks that Ted Cruz is some sort of saint. Can't make this poo poo up...

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/09/27/glenn-talks-to-sen-ted-cruz-for-the-first-time-since-marathon-21-hour-anti-obamacare-speech/

quote:

Establishment Republicans like Senators John McCain (R-AZ), Mitch McConnell (R-KY), and others have expressed they will side with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and the Democrats in voting for cloture, a move that has been quite perplexing for Glenn and most conservatives.

“It’s that they’re scared of political blame, that they’re scared that if we do the right thing, it might lead to a partial temporary shutdown,” Sen. Cruz said of his colleagues. “And if there’s a partial temporary shutdown, they’re scared the media will blame Republicans, and the truth is the media will blame Republicans if it rains.”

Glenn said that Cruz is the only politician in Washington "doing the right thing and fighting for the American people." Yes, because apparently the right thing to do is destroy the entire system out of spite over a thing a Democrat did.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He also kind of whistles right by the fact that you aren't just flipping the bird to the LAMESTREAM PEEDIA by saying who cares lets go for it. I swear there's another somewhat important group of people who have already been polled and confirmed to think that it's their fault. They were either called the general public or voters or something I think?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Establishment Republicans like Senators John McCain

It's always hilarious how quickly McCain went from being hailed as a "maverick republican" when he needed to distance himself from the Bush administration in 2008, to just another Washington insider once he showed a modicum of bipartisanship after the election.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
During the 2000 primaries, though, I seem to remember at least a few vocal conservative voices really hating on McCain, though. I think Limbaugh, especially, hated him. But I wonder how much of that was due to talk at the time of him being seen as a sort of moderate Republican which made him more appealing to liberals.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

During the 2000 primaries, though, I seem to remember at least a few vocal conservative voices really hating on McCain, though. I think Limbaugh, especially, hated him. But I wonder how much of that was due to talk at the time of him being seen as a sort of moderate Republican which made him more appealing to liberals.

I don't think moderate had anything to do with it (regardless of if any stances MCCain took pre-2000 were moderate). It is just that establishment support lined up behind W. Bush the moment he announced. All serious contenders either dropped out, and McCain was the only one who was left who wasn't a complete joke.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
As an example of willfully lying to his callers and his audience, Herman Cain took a call yesterday asking about how the ACA exchanges work and wondering if you have to wait until tax time to reclaim the money. Herman told him he did.

the NYTimes posted:

The exchanges are likely to be most attractive to people who qualify for subsidized coverage. Individuals with low and moderate incomes may be eligible for a tax credit, which can be used right away, like a gift card, to reduce their monthly premiums.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/your-money/health-insurance/a-guide-to-the-new-health-insurance-exchanges.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So either Herman was lying or this successful businessman, who I assume knows a thing or two about tax returns, is too stupid to know what a "tax credit" means.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
For some unknown reason, Mark Levin is on CNN right now. He's not screaming or yelling, but he is totally doing the conservative thing of spewing out a lot of words and then dodging the questions he is asked when the questions poke holes in the things he just finished saying.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

IIRC, in the 2000 primary, he said something like "I wish a person could win an election in this country without pandering to religious nutjobs."

The family values types hated him for it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I hate that I now have to say that Wallace was pretty loving hilarious.

"I don't know Tucker, do you want me to maybe talk about healthcare?"

I like Wallace. It's fun watching the true believers who are unfortunate enough to be blessed with intellect and a smidgen of personal integrity squirm under the weight of their own cognitive dissonance. Eventually they embrace it, and when that happens we get little gems like Shep Smith, and now Wallace.

"Go gently caress yourself, Tucker" is all he wanted to say.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

emptyspace posted:

IIRC, in the 2000 primary, he said something like "I wish a person could win an election in this country without pandering to religious nutjobs."

The family values types hated him for it.

Sometimes, I feel bad for McCain, because he seem(ed) like a guy who had genuine conservative beliefs that were probably at some point defensible, but he (and the rest of the country, really) was just constantly being dragged to the right by the nutjobs and he could either go along with it or go down in flames. While it's romantic to think he should go down in flames to stand up for his principles, I don't know that that would be the best thing to do in practice (as he might be replaced by someone who is really a nutjob at heart, etc).

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Typical Pubbie posted:

"Go gently caress yourself, Tucker" is all he wanted to say.

Just means Wallace is a lot like the rest of us.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Spun Dog posted:

Just means Wallace is a lot like the rest of us.

Not really. How many of us would be willing to regurgitate republican talking points for 6 figures a year while also saying poo poo like you're being unbiased about it?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not really. How many of us would be willing to regurgitate republican talking points for 6 figures a year while also saying poo poo like you're being unbiased about it?

The sort of paycheck he gets can buy some very fine liquors to drown out the voice of conscience.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'd read them for 6 figures a year. I'm not gonna make any up or pretend I'm anything but a talking head but I'd read them to the choir on FOX in a loving second for money until they found a leggy blonde to replace me. If anyone asked me to explain myself I'd say I don't loving know go ask the guy who came up with this poo poo I need to go wax my hair.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I don't know about you guys but I think this Rush Revere book is going to be one of the finest pieces of literature of this decade.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

I don't know about you guys but I think this Rush Revere book is going to be one of the finest pieces of literature of this decade.

Sure, if you put it in the comedy section.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Putting it anywhere but "Fiction" is giving too much credit to Rush, if you ask me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReidRansom posted:

The sort of paycheck he gets can buy some very fine liquors to drown out the voice of conscience.

There's only so much scotch you can down before your liver turns tartan and your stomach stuffs itself with oats.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
That's when you switch to Tequila.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

/\/\/\

you obviously haven't played the republican primary debate drinking game, keep your trap shut unless you're pouring into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd read them for 6 figures a year. I'm not gonna make any up or pretend I'm anything but a talking head but I'd read them to the choir on FOX in a loving second for money until they found a leggy blonde to replace me. If anyone asked me to explain myself I'd say I don't loving know go ask the guy who came up with this poo poo I need to go wax my hair.

They're not gonna replace Chris Wallace with a leggy blonde. That's not the function he serves at Fox. Fox is run by the rules of some incredibly deeply entrenched misogyny. Chris Wallace will keep his job forever because, as a male, he is seen as having more integrity than the female hosts who are "just reading the news." So they have the females play traffic cop on air between the "real" news people who are the men.

Also, him shutting down Tucker Carlson in that clip is neither here nor there. The guy is rarely actually objective, and he seems more miffed that Tucker Carlson wants him to bloviate about identity politics instead of the dumb beltway bullshit that he expected to be talking about. Basically the thinking going through his head in the clip is, "Those kind of dumb rear end comments are the reason you're tossing instead of being tossed to."