Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

h_double posted:

Both of these guys show up on my fb feed every couple of weeks or so and I'd love to respond with something more substantive than "show me something that's peer-reviewed", if anybody has any good / relevant / succinct science I could drop on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_(climate)

Natural records of things that correlate with climate are used to measure earlier climate trends. They can be calibrated by using the remains from the last 150 years and comparing them to the recorded temperatures from those years. They aren't quite as accurate as thermometers, but they're pretty good.

miscellaneous14 posted:

he retorted with "you should take ECON101 because you don't know what you're talking about".

He hasn't, has he?

Next time I get that one, I think I'll point out that I never did; I took Econ 200 and 463.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What the gently caress! you can't take the square root of a negative number. It's loving MATH 101.
Hemmingway is a lovely writer. Haven't you ever heard of a run-on sentence? ENG 101!
Why the hell are you engineers doing differential equations to determine drag? There's no such thing as air resistance or friction. PHYS 101!

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

VideoTapir posted:

He hasn't, has he?

Next time I get that one, I think I'll point out that I never did; I took Econ 200 and 463.
Literally had someone accuse me of never taking Econ 101 and not knowing how math works.

"Actually, I have. Also Econ 102, 281, 310A, 310B, 311, 308, 350, 322, 362, 331, 360, and 330. Plus Math 220, 224, 230, 234, 240, 300, 310A, 360-1, and 360-2. Because I majored in Economics and minored in Math, you loving idiot."

I think said person had a political science degree.

Edit: sorry, I know this probably sounds all "Sick burn, bro." :smuggo: I just get so goddamned sick of people who have read an article or two on mises.org thinking they know all about Economics, and that they can shout down people who put in years of study.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

"We gave you the right to vote, what more do you want? Equal rights? Silly women"

I find that simply explaining calmly to them what the SlutWalk is about is enough to get them to shut up. A lot of people really don't put much thought into how retarded the statement "Well, if she's dressed like that, she's ASKING to be assaulted!" is.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'll just repost the ECON101 guy because wow he was a massive douche. It was before I started using Social Fixer, so I'm green.

After that, my aunt offered to send me a copy of Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, so all I got out of this argument was a libertarian paperweight.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

CarterUSM posted:

Literally had someone accuse me of never taking Econ 101 and not knowing how math works.

People who claim something is part of "Econ 101" invariably make an argument that ignores the fact that Econ 101 simplifies every problem, while also sounding like they haven't taken it themselves.

It's bizarre. No one says "you need to take Physics 101!" and gets incredulous about the concept of friction or air resistance.

edit: I didn't even see that Dr. Arbitrary used this same example.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 26, 2013

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

So, this thing is sure a thing. It also popped up in my inbox at midnight, from an individual who recommended his Hispanic assistant(from a very poor family) a neat new book titled Atlas Shrugged.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harrybinswanger/2013/09/17/give-back-yes-its-time-for-the-99-to-give-back-to-the-1/

Have a choice quote:

quote:

Here’s a modest proposal. Anyone who earns a million dollars or more should be exempt from all income taxes. Yes, it’s too little. And the real issue is not financial, but moral. So to augment the tax-exemption, in an annual public ceremony, the year’s top earner should be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

And another:

quote:

Or if the moral praise showered on Mother Teresa went to someone like Lloyd Blankfein, who, in guiding Goldman Sachs toward billions in profits, has done infinitely more for mankind.

I tried to convince myself that this was some kind of satire, but then I saw "Forbes" in my address bar and his post history. I'm almost uncomfortable with the amount of Rand that seems to be echoing around the conservative angersphere right now, it's :fuckyougotmine: personified.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Lord Girlyman posted:

So, this thing is sure a thing. It also popped up in my inbox at midnight, from an individual who recommended his Hispanic assistant(from a very poor family) a neat new book titled Atlas Shrugged.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harrybinswanger/2013/09/17/give-back-yes-its-time-for-the-99-to-give-back-to-the-1/

Have a choice quote:

And another:

I tried to convince myself that this was some kind of satire, but then I saw "Forbes" in my address bar and his post history. I'm almost uncomfortable with the amount of Rand that seems to be echoing around the conservative angersphere right now, it's :fuckyougotmine: personified.

There is nothing in the world that will convince me this isn't some sort of elaborate prank carried out by The Onion. Ha ha, guys, it's funny, you managed to sneak one of your satire articles into a supposedly serious newsmagazine, you can come out and admit the joke now.

...guys?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Lord Girlyman posted:

Have a choice quote:

And another:

This absolutely has to be fake. Mother Theresa was a disgusting vile human being, and "a modest proposal" refers to Swiftian satire where the poor sell their children to the rich to eat. It's cutting far too close to be accidental.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Spangly A posted:

This absolutely has to be fake. Mother Theresa was a disgusting vile human being, and "a modest proposal" refers to Swiftian satire where the poor sell their children to the rich to eat. It's cutting far too close to be accidental.

Harry Binswanger posted:

I am a philosopher who was an associate of the late Ayn Rand, and am a member of the board of directors of the Ayn Rand Institute.

The real revelation here is that objectivists don't understand satire. My guess is he see A Modest Proposal as a decent boot straps strategy.

He also has an article calling for the legalization of insider trading and another purporting to show the objective, absolute, secular reason why capitalism is the only moral social system.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 26, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Spangly A posted:

This absolutely has to be fake. Mother Theresa was a disgusting vile human being

Most people don't believe that and would have no idea what you're talking about when you say that.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

VideoTapir posted:

Most people don't believe that and would have no idea what you're talking about when you say that.

On it's own, sure. But I don't think I've ever seen someone use the phrase "a modest proposal" without the awareness of what they're referencing. In the context of the Austrian School? I just can't bring myself to the conclusion that people throw the phrase at him constantly, mocking him, and he's too stupid to realise yet still able to breathe.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I love Econ 101 because all you do is adjust the scale on a graph and then x should equal y and now you are perfectly efficient.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'll just repost the ECON101 guy because wow he was a massive douche. It was before I started using Social Fixer, so I'm green.

After that, my aunt offered to send me a copy of Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, so all I got out of this argument was a libertarian paperweight.

Holy poo poo, what a child.

Green: Here's a legitimate question.

Red: I will not answer it because you're too dumb to understand.

Green: I'm not too dumb, just answer the question.

Red: You're too dumb!

Green: ...I quit.

Red: Good because you're dumb!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Mother Theresa was a disgusting vile human being

VideoTapir posted:

I have never heard this before. Does anyone have a link to a good source about her?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Look, I found some good ol'Islamophobia on my wall:

TheGrizzle
Jul 3, 2007
I contrast, I got a dollar bill about a month ago that had the phrase "Protect the Second Amendment" stamped on it. I just rolled my eyes, thought nothing of it, and spent it somewhere.

Does this mean we are at war with the gun nuts that are defacing our God-blessed currency? :ohdear:

TheGrizzle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 26, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I have never heard this before. Does anyone have a link to a good source about her?

I don't have sources off-hand, maybe someone else can drop them later, but basically she had her hospitals deny patients basic treatment because she believed the suffering brought them closer to God, and she also took donations from lots of shady sources including dictatorships and allegedly used very little of the donated money on actual medical care, instead focusing on evangelism.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Here's a wiki link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa It has already been discussed upthread.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Troll Bridgington posted:

Look, I found some good ol'Islamophobia on my wall:

If I still lived in the States I'd buy a stamp like that and stamp every dollar bill I could find.

My token Ron Paul guy on my Facebook posted this, which is dumb enough in and of itself but I find it hilarious the author went to the trouble of adding the cigarette.

Also, this is probably the worst thing he's ever posted.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

VitalSigns posted:

It was covered earlier in this thread. Basically she was into "suffering like jesus" and against painkillers for surgery/treatments, her charity 'somehow' had more overhead than pre-ACA healthcare companies (87% or so, meaning out of every dollar contributed only pennies made it to aid), and a few other questionable issues.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Soviet Commubot posted:

If I still lived in the States I'd buy a stamp like that and stamp every dollar bill I could find.

My token Ron Paul guy on my Facebook posted this, which is dumb enough in and of itself but I find it hilarious the author went to the trouble of adding the cigarette.

Whoa! Obama's OFFICIALLY the worst President in American history? That's incredible. Where can I find a white paper from this International Organization of American Presidential Evaluation group? I want some accredited certification for my ObamaHate!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

VitalSigns posted:

She believed suffering to be a way to share the pain of christ.
So much so she let, on one occasion, a person suffer their own de-maggoting under no anesthesia.

Also multiple reports of general abuse in the places she ran.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

CarterUSM posted:

Whoa! Obama's OFFICIALLY the worst President in American history? That's incredible. Where can I find a white paper from this International Organization of American Presidential Evaluation group? I want some accredited certification for my ObamaHate!

It's actually a pretty effective way of portraying their view like it's the majority view. Anyone who would believe that would probably just assume that Obama has the lowest approval ratings in history. It's like those "Only 87% of people will send this, it should be 100%" things tagged onto the end of stupid emails.

e: Sorry, I'm bad at English today.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This could all be abated if we went back to the old school and stripped all mentions of God off of currency and the Pledge. But that too is an attack on religion Christianity.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OAquinas posted:

It was covered earlier in this thread. Basically she was into "suffering like jesus" and against painkillers for surgery/treatments, her charity 'somehow' had more overhead than pre-ACA healthcare companies (87% or so, meaning out of every dollar contributed only pennies made it to aid), and a few other questionable issues.

The stuff I posted had this at 97%, which goes from bad to just standard theft.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

She believed suffering to be a way to share the pain of christ.

As long as it was other people suffering, yes.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

CarterUSM posted:

Surely the Super American Grand Jury can give you the veneer of legitimacy you desire to declare Obama officially the WORST president EVER.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I got asked the Econ 101 question before. I have a master's degree in economics. When I told the guy that, he said I just hadn't paid attention.

What I had said to drive this: gas price increases are not solely attributable to domestic drilling policy, with increased global demand for oil being a more impactful factor.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Emron posted:

I got asked the Econ 101 question before. I have a master's degree in economics. When I told the guy that, he said I just hadn't paid attention.

What I had said to drive this: gas price increases are not solely attributable to domestic drilling policy, with increased global demand for oil being a more impactful factor.

This is true, and it's also the case that not all oil development fields have the same mix of hydrocarbons, so theoretically oil production could go up, but if it's not the right kind of oil production (i.e. heavy vs light sweet crude), gasoline supply might not rise at the same rate. That's not even going into overall refining capabilities and demand for other petroleum distillates that could divert production from gasoline. But yeah, it's just a factor of DRILL BABY DRILL.

The things I learn from internal industry-specific training curricula in the consulting world.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

VideoTapir posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_(climate)

Natural records of things that correlate with climate are used to measure earlier climate trends. They can be calibrated by using the remains from the last 150 years and comparing them to the recorded temperatures from those years. They aren't quite as accurate as thermometers, but they're pretty good.

I doubt anyone who posts garbage like those guys will understand the concept of paleoclimate proxy records, the Greenland ice cores and oxygen isotopes, palynology, or any of the other records used to examine past climates.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheGrizzle posted:

I contrast, I got a dollar bill about a month ago that had the phrase "Protect the Second Amendment" stamped on it. I just rolled my eyes, thought nothing of it, and spent it somewhere.

Does this mean we are at war with the gun nuts the are defacing our God-blessed currency? :ohdear:

Man, what happened to just drawing a B and R on the back so it says "bONEr"?

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

CarterUSM posted:

Use of the term "Officially" is like a biomarker for low information jackassery. I personally think it stems from excess advertisement: the OFFICIAL BEER OF THE NFL somehow conveys a sense of legitimacy to cheap swill, despite it simply meaning that Budweiser paid the NFL a nominal fee.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, an oldie but goodie came back around onto Facebook:

quote:

FINALLY SOMEONE ASKED HIM THE QUESTION!
ON "ABC-TV" DURING THE "NETWORK SPECIAL ON HEALTH CARE".... OBAMA WAS ASKED:
"MR. PRESIDENT WILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY GIVE UP YOUR CURRENT HEALTH CARE PROGRAM
AND JOIN THE NEW 'UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE PROGRAM' THAT THE REST OF US WILL BE ON ????"
THERE WAS A STONEY SILENCE AS <>OBAMA IGNORED THE QUESTION AND CHOSE NOT TO ANSWER IT !!!
IN ADDITION, A NUMBER OF SENATORS WERE ASKED THE SAME QUESTION AND THEIR RESPONSE WAS."WE WILL THINK ABOUT IT."
AND THEY DID. IT WAS ANNOUNCED TODAY ON THE NEWS THAT THE "KENNEDY HEALTH CARE BILL" WAS WRITTEN INTO THE NEW HEALTH CARE REFORM INITIATIVE ENSURING THAT THAT CONGRESS WILL BE 100% EXEMPT !
SO, THIS GREAT NEW HEALTH CARE PLAN THAT IS GOOD FOR YOU AND I... IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OBAMA, HIS FAMILY OR CONGRESS...??
WE (THE AMERICAN PUBLIC) NEED TO STOP THIS PROPOSED DEBACLE ASAP !!!! THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG !!!!!
PERSONALLY, I CAN ONLY ACCEPT A UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE OVERHAUL THAT EXTENDS TO EVERYONE... NOT JUST US LOWLY CITIZENS.... WHILE THE WASHINGTON "ELITE" KEEP RIGHT ON WITH THEIR GOLD-PLATED HEALTH CARE COVERAGES.
If you don't pass this around, may you enjoy his Plan!

WHAT???
The Republic has a CONSTITUTION???

Amendment 28

Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .

Imagine what we could do if everybody passed this around.
Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .

Imagine what we could do if everybody passed this around.

An interesting stage of development this go round; based on comparison with an earlier generation circa 2009, we can see that there has been minor rearrangement in the head structure of the email, as well as two identical tail sections that have formed. The earliest version of the "28th Amendment" that I found results for in Google was around November of 2009, and this increasingly prolific political meme seems to be capable of cross-breeding with a wide variety of other emails; I expect the duplicate tail is an aberrant mutation that will be culled over time, unless it finds a specific niche.

The evolution of political email is full of mystery and wonder. :eng101:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Pfirti86 posted:

Surely the Super American Grand Jury can give you the veneer of legitimacy you desire to declare Obama officially the WORST president EVER.
Ahaha, that's wonderful.

"What can we do to ensure that the courts treat us as a legitimate grand jury?"
"I know! Let's call ourselves the SUPER AMERICAN Grand Jury! No judge could oppose that!"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Ah yes, because Obama is utterly unique among US Presidents for using teleprompters, instead of every single President using them for about as long as they've existed, including Saint Reagan. Also, let's pretend Ted Cruz's speech with its :godwin: and Green Eggs and Ham (a parable about trying stuff out before you decide you don't like it) is a model for what political speeches should be like.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
This is a doozy of crazy on my Facebook wall. I'm so full of rage, I just don't know how to get through to this people.

quote:

Me: posts in support of vaccines
Crazy #1: This is NAME. Regardless of whether I am pro"vaccine" or not, assuming all people who are leery of vaccines are "crunchy" or fanatical conservatives is entirely incorrect. This article is simply the other extreme end of the immunization issue. There is a middle ground. You see, this is a hot debate because we're talking about our children. I would seriously do anything for my child. I'm sure I'm not alone. There is vast and credible research on both sides of this issue. So, just because the majority of the publicized research is for vaccines, does not mean that they are as effective or safe as we think. If we want to advance in the medical industry, we need to be willing to question the mass beliefs. Think about all of the debunked medical ideas from the past, which were believed to be fact at the time. For example, for a pretty darn long time (like a few centuries) it was believed that mercury was a "cure all". We're talking about people ingesting it and rubbing it all over their skin. People who were unsure of the safety were considered to be unaware of the "facts". This was the belief up into maybe a hundred or so years ago. Not that long ago. This is one of many examples. Just to point out, there are credible studies that show the introduction of clean water, healthy food, and education on hand washing and sanitation prevent disease as if not more effectively vaccinations. So please don't limit yourself to beliefs that people who question these things are uneducated or fanatical. The people who question the norm change the world.
Me: Sorry, but there is NOT "vast and credible" research on both sides of the issue. There is NO evidence to vaccines do anything but confer immunity to specific illnesses. No amount of hand washing, healthy eating or sanitation is going to keep you from getting the measles.
Crazy #1: OK. Simply telling me that there is NOT " vast and credible" research does not even come close to proving that you are correct. I will have no such discussions with people who use their opinions as fact. Have a good life.
Crazy #1: One more thing Brennanite, can you tell me what is in the most common vaccines given to children, and the amount of these ingredients? Then, have a look at the EPA's website on the safety of each of these chemicals. Also, have a look into the history of the theory herd immunity. Not the common understanding, but the original theory by Hedrich in 1933. Now I'm finished.
Crazy #1: I know I said I was finished, but it is heavily documented in college textbooks and online resources that infectious diseases vaccines aim to protect you had declined by 90% well before the vaccine was a regular thing. This was attributed absolutely to the advent of... You guessed it, clean drinking water, nutrition, and sanitation. Just because you have not read the information does not mean it isn't there. I am not anti vaccination. I think as parents we need to draw our own conclusions. These are our kids. Kind of a big deal. Just because the mass opinion is one thing does not mean it is the be all end all. I don't need to explain this because history teaches us this over and over. And if anyone wants to guilt other parents into vaccinating because of the herd immunity theory, they need to do a little more digging on the history of the theory.. I repeat theory. Just like trickle down economics is a theory. That sure worked out well.
Crazy #1: http://www.whale.to/vaccines/decline1.html This is only a small portion of information out there. I have done months of reading on both sides of the issue. I don't think parents who vaccinate are doing the wrong thing. I do think it is wrong to shame parents who are not convinced and to assume that they have not also educated themselves on the topic. There is just too much conflicting information for that to be the right thing to do.
Me: Have you looked at the site you just posted from?!! It's a conspiracy theory clearing house. If you lack the basic literacy to separate good information from bad, then how informed are your choices? We as a society vaccinate our children because these disease maim and kill. What are you afraid will happen if you vaccinate your child? Is it really worse than having a dead kid?
Crazy #2: Brennanite, you are not proving your point, you are just repeating your opinion with no backing whatsoever. To say that Crazy #1 is illiterate just because you don't agree with her makes you sound a little bit like a fanatic. Given that I have never met you, I am not prepared to make that judgement about you, but I have met Crazy #1 and I can assure you she is neither illiterate nor a fanatic. Just as I would never hurl insults at [NAME] for having her opinion about what is best for her baby, I would not do that to Leah either. I happen to agree with Crazy #1's opinion, but I respect that both mothers should have the right to make informed decisions for their children. I also happen to have a bachelor's degree in biology as well as many years experience working in public health and healthcare, so I would really encourage you to do your homework.
Me: To be clear, I was using "you" in the general sense. Second, information from a conspiracy theory website is not credible. If a person can't separate credible ("good") information from not credible ("bad"), then their decisions aren't really informed, are they? Third, the choice not to vaccinate affects everyone, so that dead kid might be my newborn, but unlike you, I didn't make the choice to take the risk of her getting a preventable disease. Finally, I'll ask again, what are you afraid will happen if you vaccinate your child and how is it worse than a dead kid?
Crazy #3: Brennanite, the risks are not non-existent as you pretend (i.e., http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/mmrv/mmrv_qa.html, or http://www.cdc.gov/.../b/discontinued_vaccines.pdf). This is the CDC, who wants everyone to get vaccinated. Furthermore, you pretend like there are never medical errors, or risk factors of which you, or we, are unaware. This article lumps everyone cautious about vaccinations as crazy, and is therefore, propaganda.
Crazy #3: So, in response to your continued question: depending on what the vaccine is, the result may very well be a dead kid.
Crazy: #1: Also, Brennanite, insults make you seem unrespectable and its just not classy. Whether the website is a conspiracy theory website or not, that is historical fact. Look it up, my friend. Check out some history books. I think you will be shocked. Remember, let's keep this classy.
Crazy #1: Herd immunity. Brennanite. Did you look up the origin? Yes or no? The study had nothing to do with vaccinated people. Again, fact.
Crazy #1: Also, about the link I posted. The first time I had come across that very information was in my COLLEGE history book. That was a while ago, so I don't have the actual book anymore. That was the first website I found on the information. It was, however, presented by a doctor.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know why I'm still friends with this person on facebook at this point:

quote:

"If non-essential personnel are non-essential, why the f#@k do we pay them in the first place? I have non-essential expenses here - a cleaning lady, my DSW allowance, pedicures. If I can do without them, I didn't really need them to begin with. Stop your whining."

I haven't been following the news closely because I enjoy happiness and sanity but I'm assuming the GOP announced some plan to fire non-essential government workers or something?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't been following the news closely because I enjoy happiness and sanity but I'm assuming the GOP announced some plan to fire non-essential government workers or something?

The GOP has basically said they are going to shut down the Government on Oct. 1st unless the Senate agrees to defund Obamacare. A government shutdown would mean all non essential employers get sent home, and all essential employees work without a paycheck until the shutdown is resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Prester John posted:

The GOP has basically said they are going to shut down the Government on Oct. 1st unless the Senate agrees to defund Obamacare. A government shutdown would mean all non essential employers get sent home, and all essential employees work without a paycheck until the shutdown is resolved.

In otherwords: "We're the GOP and we're a bunch of loving dicks! And because of us being loving dicks you'll all totally vote for us and make us be in charge!" :shepicide: