Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Chao/A-Life stuff was the brainchild of one specific dude who left Sega after SA2, hence the death of Chao gardens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I'm not sure what I missed with ghost squad, but it just seemed really low budget and kinda crappy. You shouldn't expect arcade shooters to be that long, but the overall package just felt cheap to me. Which is fine I guess as they released it on a budget, but considering you can get plenty of decent games for cheap now due to their age I don't understand the hype.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm not sure what I missed with ghost squad, but it just seemed really low budget and kinda crappy. You shouldn't expect arcade shooters to be that long, but the overall package just felt cheap to me. Which is fine I guess as they released it on a budget, but considering you can get plenty of decent games for cheap now due to their age I don't understand the hype.
It's got a ton of branching paths and unlockables and is just generally pretty god damned awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Aussies, Dick Smith is clearing 'em out!

$214 for the premium console, $174 for standard.

EDIT: apparently it covers everything Wii U, and extends to the 30th.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 26, 2013

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Chao/A-Life stuff was the brainchild of one specific dude who left Sega after SA2, hence the death of Chao gardens.

Was that the reason the A-Life feature in NiGHTS 2 was so watered down, or was that just because they rushed the game so much that they figured barely above NiGHTS 1's A-life would do fine?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know about A-Life specifically, but I know the biggest problem with the second NiGHTS game was that management made them switch from X360 to Wii less than a year before release.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't know a single person who didn't at least enjoy the chao gardens a little bit.

I liked kicking them, that was about it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

I don't know about A-Life specifically, but I know the biggest problem with the second NiGHTS game was that management made them switch from X360 to Wii less than a year before release.

Im pretty sure the biggest problem was that they thought people wanted to play all these stupid non-Nights style stages instead of Nights style stages. Its the same kind of poo poo that plagued Sonic for a decade.

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I thought it was an interesting addition, and gave use to the animals the baddies had (in the first Sonic Adventure at least), but I just couldn't be bothered to spend the time to raise them for the emblems, even though I got every non-Chao one in SA2. The regular stages had a faster payoff, so I felt more incentivized to do them compared to learning a virtual pet game and spending the time to raise a few guys expediently before I saw emblems.

It was pretty easy in SA2. You could just get online and download someone elses maxed out Chao!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 26, 2013

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I thought it was an interesting addition, and gave use to the animals the baddies had (in the first Sonic Adventure at least), but I just couldn't be bothered to spend the time to raise them for the emblems, even though I got every non-Chao one in SA2. The regular stages had a faster payoff, so I felt more incentivized to do them compared to learning a virtual pet game and spending the time to raise a few guys expediently before I saw emblems.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

To add on to this, one of the lead Chao programmers, Yoshihisa Hashimoto, left after he created the Hedgehog Engine and directed Unleashed. He's now doing fancy graphics engine stuff for Square Enix, I think specifically he's doing the Luminous Engine but I'm not sure. I'd need to check his FB again.

For all you hopefuls, at Sonic Boom the head of Sonic Team was made aware that people do indeed like Chao (despite what I see everywhere else online, amazed to see people here supportive of it), so hey. Who knows. I think it's pretty unlikely, but I used to run one of the biggest Chao sites on the web so seeing that people still like them even today warms my crusty old heart. I think if they cut out the whole "Chao Races required for 100% completion (AKA Emblems)" even people who don't care about them would be fine with it. I'll always keep my fingers crossed regardless. Anyways I guess this is kind of completely off-topic so I'll shut up now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

Im pretty sure the biggest problem was that they thought people wanted to play all these stupid non-Nights style stages instead of Nights style stages. Its the same kind of poo poo that plagued Sonic for a decade.

Definitely, I was just talking in terms of management.

The cutscenes are by far the worth thing about the game - just having NiGHTS talk was a stupid idea to begin with, but did the game really need so many long, unskippable, super-serious cutscenes about nothing? That ruined the game for me more than all the other bullshit (and there's a lot of bullshit).

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Definately that. Though the game did have some replay value after you beat it and could replay to the NiGHTS style missions (Chase and Octopaw) at your own leisure. I replayed the game last month and found it a lot more fun just going through those missions instead of crap like that boat mission.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

The worst part of the game for me when I played it ages ago were the missions where you had to play as the kids platforming through a stage. I remember getting stuck in some forest level as the girl for a long time. Then when I mailed the game to a friend so she could play it, she got stuck there. Permanently.

I need to get another copy of the game since it's super cheap. At least it had a few really cool music tracks.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Is it dangerous or harmful in any way to leave my gamepad in the charging cradle for long periods of time? Sometimes I have to go entire weeks without playing any games and this is important for me to know.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Davinci posted:

Is it dangerous or harmful in any way to leave my gamepad in the charging cradle for long periods of time? Sometimes I have to go entire weeks without playing any games and this is important for me to know.

Dunno, but I've been doing this for ten months without any problems.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Waste of what? Unless you have stuff syncing in the background they use next to no power with the screen off.

Completely true and no energy still beats little energy.

Kilazar posted:

While the screen protector will protect from scratches, it will not protect from a 1.8 year old (or any child) smashing the screen on the corner of a coffee table :( My son likes to find all of "daddy's toys" and bang them on the coffee table. I've already lost 2 harmony's to this tactic . I have had occasion to forget to put the remotes somewhere high when I run to the restroom. Thankfully each time I have forgotten about the gamepad, he has banged it armor side on the coffee table.

But really, there is not much that can protect against the wrath/malice/whims/curiosity/interest of a determined child

This does not fill me with hope for teaching my current 1 year not do that anymore by the time he reaches 2. :( I don't think the condom protection it's currently wrapped in will do much saving. :cry:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

This is often untrue about electronics.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Dunno, but I've been doing this for ten months without any problems.

Alright, thanks, good to know.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

If you are looking to save some money and get a family orientated game, hold off on an extra Wii Mote and get Wii Party U near the end of October. It will come packaged with a Wii Motion Plus controller.

Crossposting from the Deals thread, but Wii Party U is on Newegg for 34.99 after coupon code EMCXLVP96 .

For that price it's stupid not to preorder it if you need another remote, it's cheaper than Amazon is right now for just a remote.

This'll make all my remotes Plus built-in, oh god I've bought 8 Wii Remotes what the hell is wrong with me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So for anyone on the fence of picking up Wonderful 101, there is a certain secret character. It is Kamiya, and his taunt is "Ask your mom."

The game is also loving fantastic. There's a solid demo out on it, too.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

W101 is also a pretty big game for an action game, you're looking at 15-20 hours for a straight playthrough. I think after Kamiya was loving with everyone on Twitter about the game's length, people got it in their minds that it was a short experience that isn't worth full-price. Tons of achievements and secrets to find if that's your bag too.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

I'm pretty sure that you're wasting more energy booting up the tablet than if you left it in standby. You're also using a lot more electricity by using your Wii U as a web browser than a tablet.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

So for anyone on the fence of picking up Wonderful 101, there is a certain secret character. It is Kamiya, and his taunt is "Ask your mom."

The game is also loving fantastic. There's a solid demo out on it, too.

This is amazing.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

deadwing posted:

Crossposting from the Deals thread, but Wii Party U is on Newegg for 34.99 after coupon code EMCXLVP96 .

For that price it's stupid not to preorder it if you need another remote, it's cheaper than Amazon is right now for just a remote.

This'll make all my remotes Plus built-in, oh god I've bought 8 Wii Remotes what the hell is wrong with me

Haha, I just screwed myself over on this. I had it pre-ordered with Newegg, $39.99. I decided I would cancel that pre-order and then use the promotional code to pre-order it for $34.99. However, now it just says "coming soon", with no pre-order option.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadwing posted:

Damnit Newegg, I would jump on these deals if it wasn't for me sitting on hundreds of dollars of Amazon Gift Cards

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I have a homebrew question. I'm sorry if it's been asked before, I haven't read the whole thread.

Got the Wind Waker bundle, it's awesome, game is awesome, all that stuff. I'd like to do the old Wii system transfer so I can free up some TV stand space. It's homebrewed, but not with a lot, just USB Loader GX and the stuff tutorials told me to install to get that running. The hard drive's an external without its own power supply. Will the system transfer bring all that stuff over intact, with no other messing around needed? Or will I need to do some other funky stuff to make sure I can still use USB Loader GX in Wii mode?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

How the hell do people get sub-17 seconds on the Livid Dead daily challenge in Rayman? I'm really struggling to get to 20 seconds.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It might be worth grabbing a Pro Controller if you have a wild 2 year old. It seems like a lot of games have dual support with gamepad/pro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

How the hell do people get sub-17 seconds on the Livid Dead daily challenge in Rayman? I'm really struggling to get to 20 seconds.

Attack as often as humanly possible. You really need to bust out every trick you can to get good times in those.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I feel like the Wind Waker bundle was made for me. I was a huge Nintendo fan as a kid, but never owned the GC or Wii, and consider myself a PC gamer over consoles. After holding off on the Wii U, I finally bit the bullet yesterday. I picked up the WW bundle, MH3, Xenoblade, Skyward Sword, and Wonderful 101. I think I'm set for quite a while!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Windwaker is really showing it's age. Just got my third pearl and the game is feeling like a chore. Maybe I'm just a bad person for feeling this way.

I miss Skyward Sword.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Windwaker is really showing it's age. Just got my third pearl and the game is feeling like a chore. Maybe I'm just a bad person for feeling this way.

I miss Skyward Sword.

Haha Wind waker a chore compared to skyward sword?

How did you get through the game with the. most. annoying. and. slow. side kick ever?

Everytime you started up the game you had to watch a 'you got this' segment for all the bugs and craft items everytime.

Oh and the tadstones those were terrible too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sleepness posted:

I feel like the Wind Waker bundle was made for me. I was a huge Nintendo fan as a kid, but never owned the GC or Wii, and consider myself a PC gamer over consoles. After holding off on the Wii U, I finally bit the bullet yesterday. I picked up the WW bundle, MH3, Xenoblade, Skyward Sword, and Wonderful 101. I think I'm set for quite a while!

You're not wrong. Xenoblade is 80 hours long just by playing through the story with barely any sidequesting. Monster Hunter is god-knows-how-many triple-digit hours as well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
:toot: All the single ladies! :toot:

"Oh hi Link. Nice to see you again..."

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

:toot: All the single ladies! :toot:

"Oh hi Link. Nice to see you again..."

Unless this is some new character announcement this post makes no sense

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Unless this is some new character announcement this post makes no sense

I believe he's saying, vis a vis Princess Peach and Link: dey gon' gently caress

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Ubisoft says Watch Dogs for the Wii U is between current gen and a PC pumped to max:

Jonathan Morin posted:

And as for the look of the game, Morin expects the PC build to remain the best-looking version, with Wii U's graphical fidelity lying somewhere in between current and next-gen offerings.

“If you pump the PC to its maximum there are things in the filtering and rendering that I think are possible on high-end PCs that are pretty amazing. Wii U is pretty much in-between – it’s neither of them, not current-gen, maybe closer to current-gen than next-gen.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-27-watch-dogs-boss-compares-its-chicago-map-to-gta5s-scale

Interesting that the comparison is with a PC and not the XB1/PS4.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Ubisoft says Watch Dogs for the Wii U is between current gen and a PC pumped to max:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-27-watch-dogs-boss-compares-its-chicago-map-to-gta5s-scale

Interesting that the comparison is with a PC and not the XB1/PS4.

No, it's between a current generation console and next gen console

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Bah, can't quote at work. The difference with the issues between Skyward Sword and Wind Waker is that for all the annoying mash A to get back to the game stuff Skyward Sword had, it's overworld was an actual attraction, with a real sense of progression. (Creating shortcuts for yourself, coming back to an area and changing it, solving puzzles along the way.)

Wind Waker's overworld consists of spend X minutes sailing, discover an island, give the fish some bait, rinse and repeat 64 times. And then most of the islands are just single room buildings, or none at all, and then most of those you have to come back to later because you never have the right item you need. And then, when you finally do have the item you need, you have to try to remember which of the 64 islands is the one you needed it for. It's a fiendish, tedious mess, and the swift sail is a band-aid instead of a much needed fix.

I also feel like, barring the imprisoned one, Skyward Sword has fantastic boss and miniboss fights. The first dungeon in SS hits really high notes with both of those fights, (the Stalfos and Ghirahim), whereas Wind Waker's first dungeon had a mash sword attacks to kill moblin and a very simple gimmick fight against the lava-whatever.

As annoying as Fi and the item reminders are, it takes a fraction of the time to shove your way through her annoying text bubbles than it does to get across the not-so-great sea.

On the plus side in Wind Waker HD you can now take selfies and upload them to miiverse!

I'm fairly certain I remember Wind Waker picking up after the halfway or so mark, but these first 6 hours have been pretty lackluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Zelda cycle is real.

• Locked thread