Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Getting an alignment, hope nothing "needs replacing" today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Nothing is funnier than driving a Police car slightly under the speed limit. The RS-As that came on my car are totally shot; there's a chunk of tread that's starting to come off of the left rear. Getting some Potenzas put on after work so I drove *extremely* carefully on my commute this morning.

Make sure to upgrade the shocks if you're gonna get good tires. A set of KYB monotubes run under $200 from rockauto. Awesome shocks, big handling improvement for the price.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

A person on my street is selling a 1994 Lincoln town car with 200 000km (124274miles) on it for 1250$ (canadabux) OBO (with a sweet purpleish metallic paint job) I've seen the car around, I can't see any rust on it.

I know almost NOTHING about mechanics personally BUT my brother knows his way around a car and I work for a car parts wholesaler who can get me parts at his cost.

For some reason, driving a land barge appeals to me.

What am I getting myself into?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Air suspension problems and feeding the beast :black101:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 14, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
More noob questions. The spare tire seems to want to fall off that shelf in the back like fire, should I just give up and throw it in the well and put a board over the drat thing or something or is there a way to get the loving thing to stay where it goes?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Stupid question but do you ha e the little threaded U bolt and holder downer? I had to pick one up from a scrapyard because mine didn't have the holder when I bought it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I do, I dunno if it is the wrong size or whatever because the tire just sort of falls to a 45 degree angle off the thing, hanging on like mad. I figure I can just cut it down or run the thread down with a threader, but I wondered if there was some veteran trick for it. I notice the cop poo poo sites will sell you all kinds of goofy trunk organizers if I want to get all Holly Hobbie on this mofo.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 14, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK pics.

Hello, big white copmobile.

GOT AN rear end ON HER, SHE DOES.

Only the finest in luxury. If you look close you can see the holes drilled in the dash for the cop poo poo.

Lug for my future telecommunications array.

Perp in custody.

The BELLY OF THE BEAST.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

This, in a nutshell. If push comes to shove, there's always a Strutmasters coil spring conversion to look forward to.

Sadly, the only experience I've had is with ye olde lo-po 5.0-equipped Town Cars. All I've heard of the 4.6s is that they burn oil and kill coils on occasion. :shrug:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Pulled off the dash panels to get to the lights on the cluster, when I pulled off the center panel (with the trunk release and rear defrost) the engine light came on and stayed on. I am sorta hoping I tripped something in the process of removing the panels, anything obvious spring to mind?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

Pulled off the dash panels to get to the lights on the cluster, when I pulled off the center panel (with the trunk release and rear defrost) the engine light came on and stayed on. I am sorta hoping I tripped something in the process of removing the panels, anything obvious spring to mind?

You mean the MIL/Check engine light?

How would you know? Were you doing this with the car started? Was the light even working before (it should turn on for a short time when you turn the car on) or did you just jar it back into working?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Motronic posted:

You mean the MIL/Check engine light?

How would you know? Were you doing this with the car started? Was the light even working before (it should turn on for a short time when you turn the car on) or did you just jar it back into working?

Actually the possibility that I jarred it back into working is pretty large, I had noticed it did not flash when I started and assumed it was burnt out. Time to head down to the parts store and have them check the code.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Holdbrooks posted:

They are on a relay to the parking lights so I can run them with or without the stock lights and they will stay on with the high beams too.

Running them with the high beams on may be a violation in a few places, and is likely to worsen your long-distance night vision. They looked aimed pretty low in the shots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seriously considering upgrading to a readhead steering box when I rebuild the front end.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Also have been reading bad things about MOOG ball joints, can anyone confirm it? Was thinking about getting the loaded MOOG control arms.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Crosspostin' this from the Automotive Photography thread.

Rainy Day by T1g4h, on Flickr

I dig the grass at the bottom :shobon:

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Winson_Paine posted:

I do, I dunno if it is the wrong size or whatever because the tire just sort of falls to a 45 degree angle off the thing, hanging on like mad. I figure I can just cut it down or run the thread down with a threader, but I wondered if there was some veteran trick for it. I notice the cop poo poo sites will sell you all kinds of goofy trunk organizers if I want to get all Holly Hobbie on this mofo.

On my Grand Marquis it's three pieces, one is the u shaped threaded holder, then there's a washer/plate that goes over that and a plastic knob that holds everything down. The tire goes in face down then you just screw down the knob and it holds it on the shelf.

I love having a full sized spare, picked up a nasty screw a few weeks ago and just threw on the spare until I had time to plug it up.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

MISSION SUCCESS

Lights replaced, all is sunshine. Sort of. Airbag light was MISSING, and replacing it led to an airbag code flashing (22) and then the light staying on. Balls. Check Engine light no longer comes on, but it no longer comes on at all (like before). Took it to the parts store, they ran the code, and everything checked except for a diagnostic cycle which would have to run again since I had disconnected the battery. Thinking of taking it in; I can mess with a lot of stuff but airbag poo poo sort of intimidates me.

ETA: Code 22 is apparently side air bag fault on the driver side. Since I don't have side airbags I looked about, looks like a little yellow resistor is the virtual airbag simulator. Ford part XF2Z-14B022-AA, looks to be about $13 bux. Apparently I can just pop a new one on and that will be good to go?

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 20, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

everything checked except for a diagnostic cycle which would have to run again since I had disconnected the battery.

Well, if by that you mean the I/M monitors aren't all in a ready state you should be expecting a stored code in the next hundred miles or less. Whether that turns on your MIL or not is anyone guess, as it appears to be a intermittent problem with the bulb or wiring.

Not to poo poo on your parade, but understand that if the I/M monitors aren't set it means the bulk of the "check engine codes" (DTCs) that are likely to be set won't be yet and you should have is scanned again to figure out what is wrong. And it's obviously something, as someone went through the trouble of scumbagging the SRS light out of the dash. I can guarantee you that's not all they did to hide problems.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

leica posted:

Seriously considering upgrading to a readhead steering box when I rebuild the front end.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Also have been reading bad things about MOOG ball joints, can anyone confirm it? Was thinking about getting the loaded MOOG control arms.

I don't know if they're different quality wise, but I've used them on quite a few cars and never had any issues with them.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Motronic posted:

Not to poo poo on your parade, but understand that if the I/M monitors aren't set it means the bulk of the "check engine codes" (DTCs) that are likely to be set won't be yet and you should have is scanned again to figure out what is wrong. And it's obviously something, as someone went through the trouble of scumbagging the SRS light out of the dash. I can guarantee you that's not all they did to hide problems.

Yeah, that is sort of a concern to me although the place I got it from has a decent rep. I have a mechanic I trust, more or less, so I might just take the fucker in and see what he says.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

On a test drive, what should I be looking for, in regards to that problem?

Also, what else are trouble spots I should look out for?

One last question, does anyone drive these cars in winter? How are they for it?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

On a test drive, what should I be looking for, in regards to that problem?

Also, what else are trouble spots I should look out for?

One last question, does anyone drive these cars in winter? How are they for it?

I've successfully driven mine, in the foothills of the Ozark mountains, in a good half a foot of snow on Kumho All Seasons with no real issues until I got to a super steep incline that even 4wds would struggle with. Granted that was with 50 - 100lbs of turnout gear in the trunk, but still, they handle snow surprisingly well.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Police drive these year-round in areas that get snow. As long as you've got good tires I wouldn't worry.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
In both my '87 and '99, I kept two 100-pound sandbags at the sides of the trunk over the rear axle. I always figured if I still got stuck, well, the sand would help under the wheels too, right?

Never did get stuck, though, and as long as your tires aren't bald (and you have some basic idea how to drive in snow/ice in the first place), you'll be fine.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I figure I was spitting in the eye of the fates when I tried to get a reliable car, but I was driving over to my new shop to move my box in and in stop and go traffic all of a sudden the OD light began flashing and it felt like it was stuck in a high gear. It went away after I parked but now I need to find a scanner capable of pulling transmission codes tomorrow :(

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK, this car is way more loving fun to drive than I was expecting. Goddamn. The 13mpg I am getting is not so cool, but it is a fun 13mpg...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

OK, this car is way more loving fun to drive than I was expecting. Goddamn. The 13mpg I am getting is not so cool, but it is a fun 13mpg...

Now put a rumbly exhaust on it. That 4.6 sounds so good with a set of aftermarket mufflers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

T1g4h posted:

Now put a rumbly exhaust on it. That 4.6 sounds so good with a set of aftermarket mufflers.

You should know!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That video's old. The exhaust leak is steadily getting worse. I should do a video of how it sounds lately, it's absurd.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I figure I was spitting in the eye of the fates when I tried to get a reliable car, but I was driving over to my new shop to move my box in and in stop and go traffic all of a sudden the OD light began flashing and it felt like it was stuck in a high gear. It went away after I parked but now I need to find a scanner capable of pulling transmission codes tomorrow :(

If it's not dying J-mod it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIAKfhrdV0

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Sweet jesus this was fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51G8ZROukxA

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Those things handle a lot better than I thought. :stonklol:

I think I know what my next car will be... with a manual swap at some point.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 27, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4089150741.html
:stonklol:

That interior looks in great shape..... actually this is one of the nicest civilian Crown Vics I have seen in a long time.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

some texas redneck posted:

Those things handle a lot better than I thought. :stonklol:

I think I know what my next car will be... with a manual swap at some point.

If you're still in the Dallas area, let me know beforehand. Maybe we can get a group rate on the swap.

Also I want mine as a column shift.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Found out my heater dosen't work this morning, nbd in AZ but the window were fogging bad here in AL. Any ideas? I don't feel like there is any resistance on the temp knob. Also no indexes on the temp knob, should there be?

E: google says blend door and dash removal. F that, glad I live in lower AZ.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 27, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4089150741.html
:stonklol:

That interior looks in great shape..... actually this is one of the nicest civilian Crown Vics I have seen in a long time.

That's a steal if that's all that's wrong with it. Sounds kinda fishy to be dumping a car just for AC issues though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

An LX sport for under 4 grand? Jesus.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Holdbrooks posted:

E: google says blend door and dash removal. F that, glad I live in lower AZ.
May I direct your attention this direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMbdTpC9Tw

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

MonkeyNutZ posted:

May I direct your attention this direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMbdTpC9Tw

Who is this, because goddamn that video and video title are inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blugu64 posted:

If you're still in the Dallas area, let me know beforehand. Maybe we can get a group rate on the swap.

Also I want mine as a column shift.

3 on the tree? :v:

Still very much in DFW. I want to escape so loving bad.