Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

You obviously aren't comprehending what I'm typing so this is the last I'll say about it.

Again, it wasn't pointless. It got my sister out of way. Had I kept to the right track that buick would have been nearly brushing her instead of coming close to me. And yes, it did put me into harms way, /that was the point/, putting myself in harms way instead of my dumb sister.

Finally, ending your post with 'if you keep doing it' solidifies that you've skimmed everything I've written. I won't do that again, I don't ride like that, this was a one off situation and it was a decision I made in a split second right near that dollar general. Jumping down my throat with lazy rhetoric like "swerving toward traffic" and "playing chicken" might serve to help y'all feel superior as you dole out knowledge and justice but it really has nothing to do with the situation.

I hoped it could be a warning for people to watch out...I guess that bit was accomplished, huh?

Nah, you're still missing the point. You think you did the right thing, and you didn't. Here's why:

You wanted to protect your sister by forcing her to increase her safety margin from the cars in front of her. But you don't have any way of communicating that that is what you're doing. So, you switch from one side of the road to the other. She doesn't know why you did that, because you didn't bother to educate her on basics of riding. So, are you switching lanes because there was a pothole? You saw road hazards in your lane? You're bored? She has no way of knowing why you did what you did, and is now focusing on you rather than oncoming traffic, as well as having reduced visibility towards that same oncoming hazard traffic. You're trying to ride her bike for her, but you've robbed her of the ability to make good choices about how she responds to road hazards. You're hoping she switches to the other side, but you haven't told her that she should if you switch, you're expecting her to do something that you have no way of communicating how this situation is different from anything else, and you're distracting her already limited mental resources away from correctly operating her motorcycle to wondering why you're randomly switching lanes from one side to the other.

It was a stupid move. It's not lazy rhetoric when you're literally swerving in your lane to move towards traffic, and you KNOW you're playing chicken because you saw the event coming. You predicted this stupid, bad thing was going to happen, and you willfully reduced the safety margin in the hopes that your sister would recognize in 5 seconds that you've moved lanes, know that you were doing this so she would switch lane positions too, and then not get distracted and target fixate on your near miss. Like, best chance is 20-30% that in the timeframe you have given her that she's actually going to switch lanes, especially given that you've had no previous training/conversations to indicate why that would be the best option for her in this situation vs. other similar situations.

You're riding erratically, moving into risky situations in an attempt to ride both your bike and her bike at the same time, and that's why you're stupid for trying to defend your actions. And everything you've done and said about the situation thus far indicates that you don't have the desire or willingness to educate yourself about safely riding in groups, especially not when there are novice riders with you. And if you can't trust your sister to take riding seriously, you shouldn't do poo poo that makes it harder for her to ride safely by reducing sight lines and being distracting by switching lanes at random times.

So, again, good intentions, stupid, shortsighted move that at best traded the same risk for the same risk, at worse, made things worse for both of you. Would have been a far better move to make a sharp move to hug the right side fogline and increase the safety margin and open up her sightlines more so she can do the same.

Edit: FWIW, this post isn't for you anyways. It's for other people who can hopefully learn some of the basics of why you do group riding the way you do from your dumb close call.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Nah, you're still missing the point. You think you did the right thing, and you didn't. Here's why:

You wanted to protect your sister by forcing her to increase her safety margin from the cars in front of her. But you don't have any way of communicating that that is what you're doing. So, you switch from one side of the road to the other. She doesn't know why you did that, because you didn't bother to educate her on basics of riding. So, are you switching lanes because there was a pothole? You saw road hazards in your lane? You're bored? She has no way of knowing why you did what you did, and is now focusing on you rather than oncoming traffic, as well as having reduced visibility towards that same oncoming hazard traffic. You're trying to ride her bike for her, but you've robbed her of the ability to make good choices about how she responds to road hazards. You're hoping she switches to the other side, but you haven't told her that she should if you switch, you're expecting her to do something that you have no way of communicating how this situation is different from anything else, and you're distracting her already limited mental resources away from correctly operating her motorcycle to wondering why you're randomly switching lanes from one side to the other.
You're throwing out a lot of blanket assumptions while knowing nothing about her besides what I've told you. My move didn't do any of that. It alerted her that I was changing lane positions, and since I know her, I knew that she'd swap to the other side because she doesn't like riding behind someone. I expected her to do it because that's what she does. You can project a lot of thoughts and confusion onto her if you want but I assure you her thought process was as simple as 'he's going to the left? I'll go to the right'. I was only riding the right track in the first place because she feels more comfortable on the left.

Z3n posted:

It was a stupid move. It's not lazy rhetoric when you're literally swerving in your lane to move towards traffic, and you KNOW you're playing chicken because you saw the event coming. You predicted this stupid, bad thing was going to happen, and you willfully reduced the safety margin in the hopes that your sister would recognize in 5 seconds that you've moved lanes, know that you were doing this so she would switch lane positions too, and then not get distracted and target fixate on your near miss. Like, best chance is 20-30% that in the timeframe you have given her that she's actually going to switch lanes, especially given that you've had no previous training/conversations to indicate why that would be the best option for her in this situation vs. other similar situations.

Yeah it was a stupid move in retrospect, but at the time I didn't have a braintrust to help walk me thru it. Again, keep projecting about the chances of it working, but it did. She moved.

Z3n posted:

You're riding erratically, moving into risky situations in an attempt to ride both your bike and her bike at the same time, and that's why you're stupid for trying to defend your actions. And everything you've done and said about the situation thus far indicates that you don't have the desire or willingness to educate yourself about safely riding in groups, especially not when there are novice riders with you. And if you can't trust your sister to take riding seriously, you shouldn't do poo poo that makes it harder for her to ride safely by reducing sight lines and being distracting by switching lanes at random times.

So, again, good intentions, stupid, shortsighted move that at best traded the same risk for the same risk, at worse, made things worse for both of you. Would have been a far better move to make a sharp move to hug the right side fogline and increase the safety margin and open up her sightlines more so she can do the same.

If you haven't noticed, I've said it was a stupid move looking back. Can't change that tho, I can only give my thought process as to why I did it at the time. Thanks for the advice, on what to do next time, but my desire and willingness have plumb run out today so I can't take any more educatin'.

Z3n posted:

Edit: FWIW, this post isn't for you anyways. It's for other people who can hopefully learn some of the basics of why you do group riding the way you do from your dumb close call.

Hey, that's why I posted the video! We are on the same side.

Nice to have you back buddy, where've you been the last few months?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

You're throwing out a lot of blanket assumptions while knowing nothing about her besides what I've told you. My move didn't do any of that. It alerted her that I was changing lane positions, and since I know her, I knew that she'd swap to the other side because she doesn't like riding behind someone. I expected her to do it because that's what she does. You can project a lot of thoughts and confusion onto her if you want but I assure you her thought process was as simple as 'he's going to the left? I'll go to the right'. I was only riding the right track in the first place because she feels more comfortable on the left.

Yeah it was a stupid move in retrospect, but at the time I didn't have a braintrust to help walk me thru it. Again, keep projecting about the chances of it working, but it did. She moved.

I'm not projecting the chances of it working. I'm saying that even if it did work or didn't work, it really was kind of an irrelevant move. If she can't avoid a car that's a foot over the DY, she's going to have difficulty on a motorcycle, especially when you're not there to look out for her.

quote:

If you haven't noticed, I've said it was a stupid move looking back. Can't change that tho, I can only give my thought process as to why I did it at the time. Thanks for the advice, on what to do next time, but my desire and willingness have plumb run out today so I can't take any more educatin'.

Hey, that's why I posted the video! We are on the same side.

Nice to have you back buddy, where've you been the last few months?

Well, I'm glad you won't do it again, then - and I hope you'll take 15 minutes to review the basics of group rides so you can be prepared if your family springs a ride on you in the future.

I've been working a lot, and then prepping bikes for the open trackday I did on monday. New job starts soon so I have some time to burn on walls of text :D

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I'm not projecting the chances of it working. I'm saying that even if it did work or didn't work, it really was kind of an irrelevant move. If she can't avoid a car that's a foot over the DY, she's going to have difficulty on a motorcycle, especially when you're not there to look out for her.

Yeah 100 percent agreed, luckily she doesn't ride when I'm not there. I think after she dropped her fz6 at least once a ride years back, she's paranoid about not being able to pick up a bike herself. It's seriously terrifying to me to see her try to get back on a bike while barely remembering which is the clutch and which is the brake, but it's family and I can't really tell her 'don't ride or take the drat class again'. I've said that to friends multiple times and they don't give a poo poo, family is worse. She listens to dad, who tells her 'it'll be alright, it'll come back to you.' Same dad that to this day insists that the fz6 was the best first bike for me, despite me riding her 250 around now and telling him that it would have been a better starter. Hard headed ones, they are.

I thought the problem had solved it self when she hadn't hopped on a bike in years. I have to get her gear back from a friend cause I loaned it out. Hearing that they had a ride planned in a half hour was a bit of a surprise. Should I have run over group ride basics? Sure, but the simple ones she already knew and I was more concerned with her statements like "I can't remember which brake is the front and which is the back."

Z3n posted:

Well, I'm glad you won't do it again, then - and I hope you'll take 15 minutes to review the basics of group rides so you can be prepared if your family springs a ride on you in the future.

I've been working a lot, and then prepping bikes for the open trackday I did on monday. New job starts soon so I have some time to burn on walls of text :D

I hope she decides to stop riding. I figure there's only a few more years open till she pops out a baby and then it'll be over.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

I figure there's only a few more years open till she pops out a baby and then it'll be over.

That's an easy fix.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Yeah 100 percent agreed, luckily she doesn't ride when I'm not there. I think after she dropped her fz6 at least once a ride years back, she's paranoid about not being able to pick up a bike herself. It's seriously terrifying to me to see her try to get back on a bike while barely remembering which is the clutch and which is the brake, but it's family and I can't really tell her 'don't ride or take the drat class again'. I've said that to friends multiple times and they don't give a poo poo, family is worse. She listens to dad, who tells her 'it'll be alright, it'll come back to you.' Same dad that to this day insists that the fz6 was the best first bike for me, despite me riding her 250 around now and telling him that it would have been a better starter. Hard headed ones, they are.

I thought the problem had solved it self when she hadn't hopped on a bike in years. I have to get her gear back from a friend cause I loaned it out. Hearing that they had a ride planned in a half hour was a bit of a surprise. Should I have run over group ride basics? Sure, but the simple ones she already knew and I was more concerned with her statements like "I can't remember which brake is the front and which is the back."

I hope she decides to stop riding. I figure there's only a few more years open till she pops out a baby and then it'll be over.

Ya, so it goes.

Kid rules.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

Ya, so it goes.

Kid rules.

So does the guy

drinking his morning tea

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

New job starts soon so I have some time to burn on walls of text :D

Oh god...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I couldn't read all that. Did you guys work it out, then? Best buds now?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I couldn't read all that. Did you guys work it out, then? Best buds now?

I'm just going to tell myself they're doing high fives while performing wheelies and jumping over rivers of flame and alligators.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm just going to tell myself they're doing high fives while performing wheelies and jumping over rivers of flame and alligators.

No. That would be irresponsible.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

No. That would be irresponsible.

Nah it's on a closed circuit and there are emergency response vehicles nearby. The EMTs are riding SUMOs.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
From the amazing jetski thread:

Assoonasitits posted:

No, but there's a law saying you're not allowed to drive a vehicle that is unsafe for you and other drivers and a car made of plywood is definitely not safe.

Edit: The relevant Ontario law:

Z3n posted:

Man, you could literally ban anyone under that rule. "unsafe condition as to endanger any person (excluding, of course, the very basis of operating giant metal cages with engines that can go 100+mph and pretty much ruin just about anything they run into!"

Technically yes. But laws like that (that leave a lot of room for intereptation by law enforcement) are quite common in the world. Yes, worst case it gives the police shortcuts to loving with you, but it also allows for leeway in the other direction, unlike laws that are written with the intent that it should be followed to the letter. As much as I hate the phrase after reading the Freeper thread too much, these laws allow law enforcement to use "common sense" as opposed to absolute laws that says that the law has to arrest you as soon as you break [arbitrary limit].

Fake edit: Exhaust noise. As the swedish law is written (right now) it is up to each police officer to judge if the noise is "too loud" and if it is, give out a fine and send you off to get your bike inspected at an inspection station. They don't have to measure the decibels, they just have to say "this is too loud, here's a ticket". The Police could just stop every rider in my town and write a ticket, no problem. But they don't. Because it is not seen as a problem. I know one guy who got a fine, and had to put on his original exhaust to pass an inspection (and then switched back again afterwards), and that was because his neighbour called the cops and complained (and to be honest, his bike was LOUD).

And just to enforce what a goon haven Sweden is, here's more Swedish law at work.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The last page of this thread is why I have z3n on ignore and nSap is A. being a idiot and B. quoting z3n being an idiot (this is redundant I realize).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

n8r posted:

The last page of this thread is why I have z3n on ignore and nSap is A. being a idiot and B. quoting z3n being an idiot (this is redundant I realize).

Is there a way to see how many people have you on their ignore list?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

From the amazing jetski thread:

Technically yes. But laws like that (that leave a lot of room for intereptation by law enforcement) are quite common in the world. Yes, worst case it gives the police shortcuts to loving with you, but it also allows for leeway in the other direction, unlike laws that are written with the intent that it should be followed to the letter. As much as I hate the phrase after reading the Freeper thread too much, these laws allow law enforcement to use "common sense" as opposed to absolute laws that says that the law has to arrest you as soon as you break [arbitrary limit].

Fake edit: Exhaust noise. As the swedish law is written (right now) it is up to each police officer to judge if the noise is "too loud" and if it is, give out a fine and send you off to get your bike inspected at an inspection station. They don't have to measure the decibels, they just have to say "this is too loud, here's a ticket". The Police could just stop every rider in my town and write a ticket, no problem. But they don't. Because it is not seen as a problem. I know one guy who got a fine, and had to put on his original exhaust to pass an inspection (and then switched back again afterwards), and that was because his neighbour called the cops and complained (and to be honest, his bike was LOUD).

And just to enforce what a goon haven Sweden is, here's more Swedish law at work.

I think that it just depends on your cops. We have well defined decibel laws that are essential unenforceable due to an unreasonable standard of proof that the officer must establish, and as a result have to deal with assholes on stupid loud bikes. Ironically, the place with the best enforcement is laguna seca. :saddowns:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Coredump posted:

Is there a way to see how many people have you on their ignore list?

In your User CP.

n8 <3 :3

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Every time I ride with Z3n it's an rear end in a top hat squid ride, don't believe his lies.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Every time I ride with Z3n it's an rear end in a top hat squid ride, don't believe his lies.

Busted :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

:iceburn:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

JP Money posted:

Weren't you the guy who rode high?

"nsaP" posted:

Which time?

Oh yeah, I found it. Blurry foreground joint. "Get high" indeed. I think that was the challenge.

nsaP posted:

Done and done.

Since I worked up quite the appetite and stopped by the local sandwich bar for a snack, show me :siren:Your bike at your local sandwich shop. :siren:

They're called dari bar's around here. Sandwiches and ice cream

Edit:including pic of Sharkey's. One of many here

That was the only time I rode after burning one (a weak spliff, so nothing crazy) and I sure took it easy and enjoyed the scenery. I ride after smoking otherwise pretty much every day but with a healthy time buffer between the two. It messes with my balance and reaction time too much.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 26, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nsaP posted:

In your User CP.

n8 <3 :3

Doesn't that just show who you have on your ignore list, not whose ignore lists you're on?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You'd be amazed how much faster you can read CA without all the z3n fillibustering:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=7&t_forumid=236&all=#jump

Remember that period of time when z3n ragequit CA for some reason and the forums were a happier/less chippy place. That was pretty rad.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

CA slapfights are dumb as hell and pointless, let's all just chill and ride some bikes :frogbon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

You'd be amazed how much faster you can read CA without all the z3n fillibustering:

Remember that period of time when z3n ragequit CA for some reason and the forums were a happier/less chippy place. That was pretty rad.

Puppy forum management just too demanding for you to learn some stuff in your offtime? :D

Also it cracks me up that you can't post more than a dozen posts without mentioning how you have me on ignore, I post too much, etc. It's ok, someday we'll go riding or work on bikes together and we can talk about our feelings. :3:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 26, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

n8r posted:

HOLY poo poo. Z3n, you post a lot. Daaaammmnnnnn.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coredump posted:

HOLY poo poo. Z3n, you post a lot. Daaaammmnnnnn.

Doesn't take long to kick out 4 posts a day when you're answering people's questions or just posting one liners like this. Plus I type fast.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

KozmoNaut posted:

Doesn't that just show who you have on your ignore list, not whose ignore lists you're on?

Ah no, I misread what you said. I don't think there is. The only way I've noticed is why I've posted something to a person and they don't respond, tho maybe they just don't like me.

n8r posted:

Funniest thing about that link are the people near the top who don't post/don't post regularly anymore. Even years of silence doesn't drop them down.

M42 posted:

CA slapfights are dumb as hell and pointless, let's all just chill and ride some bikes :frogbon:

Alright mom.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 26, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Funniest thing about that link are the people near the top who don't post/don't post regularly anymore. Even years of silence doesn't drop them down.

Jack the smack is rising again!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Jack the smack is rising again!

I hope so. He was way more entertaining than moot moot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Deeters posted:

I hope so. He was way more entertaining than moot moot.

I miss him and Marv Hushman the most.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So my battery poo poo the bed on last Sunday and I'm planning on leaving on a trip this upcoming Monday. I went to like 6 different shops around town and none of them stocked it, and said it'd be a week to order one. That had me a bit worried but I found batterystuff.com and they killed it. I put in an order at like 6pm Monday and just got it today with free shipping. Other sites I checked wanted me to pay like 30 bucks to ensure it'd be here quick. Check it out if you have a funny sized battery.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

Oh poo poo, are we racing? I've just got to make 5 passes to finish in the top 50.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

nsaP posted:

So my battery poo poo the bed on last Sunday and I'm planning on leaving on a trip this upcoming Monday. I went to like 6 different shops around town and none of them stocked it, and said it'd be a week to order one. That had me a bit worried but I found batterystuff.com and they killed it. I put in an order at like 6pm Monday and just got it today with free shipping. Other sites I checked wanted me to pay like 30 bucks to ensure it'd be here quick. Check it out if you have a funny sized battery.

Looks like it's a 12BS size battery that literally every place in the universe will carry. Bring your old battery with you I'd wager the 12bs battery will match it. I know for a fact walmart carries them because I just bought a 9BS today there.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My last battery was a Yuasa 12BS off Amazon Prime with free two-day shipping. It's currently listed at 56 bucks which is a little more than I paid. Amazon rarely takes more than a few hours to get something shipped if I order during normal non-Sunday hours.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Zool posted:

Oh poo poo, are we racing? I've just got to make 5 passes to finish in the top 50.

Wow, I'm #33, who knew.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

Looks like it's a 12BS size battery that literally every place in the universe will carry. Bring your old battery with you I'd wager the 12bs battery will match it. I know for a fact walmart carries them because I just bought a 9BS today there.

I'll save everyone the details but I just wasted 15 minutes elsewhere telling n8 he was wrong. He's also a dummy cause I did exactly what he suggested (take mine to wal mart) on Monday and I told him that they didn't have it. The BS is very slightly different and it doesn't fit in my battery compartment.

Snowdens Secret posted:

My last battery was a Yuasa 12BS off Amazon Prime with free two-day shipping. It's currently listed at 56 bucks which is a little more than I paid. Amazon rarely takes more than a few hours to get something shipped if I order during normal non-Sunday hours.

My last amazon order had items that shipped between 1 week and 3 weeks after I ordered it. 2 day shipping was nice but kinda pointless.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 26, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

n8r posted:

I like this Jammela kid. I see him going places.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

I'll save everyone the details but I just wasted 15 minutes elsewhere telling n8 he was wrong. He's also a dummy cause I did exactly what he suggested (take mine to wal mart) on Monday and I told him that they didn't have it. The BS is very slightly different and it doesn't fit in my battery compartment.

My last amazon order had items that shipped between 1 week and 3 weeks after I ordered it. 2 day shipping was nice but kinda pointless.

You know, you could do like the PO of my bike and find a battery that mostly fits and just cut the battery compartment.

It made shopping for batteries absolutely painless, since it'd fit anything from 4.2" to 8.1" tall, and approximately the right footprint, what with the bungee and all. I literally walked into the shop and said "if it fits in this ragged dremeled-out hole here, I'll buy it." $40 later... AGM battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

or just posting one liners like this.

*Looks at previous posts* Yeah I'm not seeing many of these one liners. Don't get me wrong you provide a lot of helpful answers. But man when you get going...