Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Fix one thing, break another. :suicide:

Welcome home, son. :glomp:

Speaking of, the Aero I'm looking at/waiting on has a broken shaft higher up than where the blend door flap is. Last time I ran into that, I deferred because a hosed up heater core is going to cost about as much as the car is worth. Think I may do the same, or just write it off for now. It'd make a nice summer car. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
:siren: Need help! :siren:

I pulled into the driveway and putting my '07 9-3 in park, pulled the key out and the dash alarm went off telling me "steering interlock malfunction, stop car safely." The lock is definitely not engaging as I cannot hear it anymore. The radio doesn't turn off when I pull the key and the locks are unresponsive to the FOB. I can still start the car, but am afraid to drive it because of the steering lock.
Nearest dealer is 50 miles away and I need this loving car to work. What do I do?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Nearest dealer is 50 miles away and I need this loving car to work. What do I do?

Does it still manually lock/unlock fine with the key? You can replace the ISM (part 12801010 [pretty sure I remember you have a 93SS]) yourself, as you don't need a Tech2 for this, oddly enough. Find some time soon to take it in before it refuses to start.

I'd consider popping the hood and disconnecting the battery overnight - but I'd be drat sure to make sure I could get back in the car before doing so. :v:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Nothing like trying to do an oil change and finding the oil drain plug has gasket sealer on it and is pretty much welded to the pan. :mad:.

Luckily I was able to finally break it free without dropping the car on top of me. Apparently I hadn't tightened the oil drain plug enough as there was a leak from it after I refilled. However after quickly tightening it more, there still seems to be a very small leak (i.e maybe a drop or 2), and this is with a new drain plug + washer. I did spill a bit when refilling the oil and that is dropping down in same area so I'm not sure if the drops I'm seeing on the ground are from my carelessness or from the drain plug.

Either way I'm planning on dropping the sump this coming weekend and I'm not looking forward to it. :( I also discovered both my front tires have cupped inside edges, guess I need to add new struts to the list.

I did however get the LF blend door fixed.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 25, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

there still seems to be a very small leak (i.e maybe a drop or 2), and this is with a new drain plug + washer.

It's gonna leak from there, or from the timing cover. Or, you know, both. v:v:v

JayKay posted:

Either way I'm planning on dropping the sump this coming weekend and I'm not looking forward to it. :( I also discovered both my front tires have cupped inside edges, guess I need to add new struts to the list.

I did however get the LF blend door fixed.

Have a 5% off at RockAuto code: 111212056647365

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

Does it still manually lock/unlock fine with the key? You can replace the ISM (part 12801010 [pretty sure I remember you have a 93SS]) yourself, as you don't need a Tech2 for this, oddly enough. Find some time soon to take it in before it refuses to start.

I'd consider popping the hood and disconnecting the battery overnight - but I'd be drat sure to make sure I could get back in the car before doing so. :v:

I called the dealer and they didn't have the part in stock, a week out, so I poked around and found that people were cleaning the electric contacts inside of the unit. That thing was a bitch to crack open, but it was immediately clear that the electrical contacts were having issues. One was burnt from arching so I cleaned it up and bent the contact springs for a good contact and it now works like a champ. I'll be ordering a replacement as I'm sure I'm on borrowed time. Thanks for identifying the part.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

JayKay posted:

Just got back from test driving the 9-5.

Bad:
-SID screen is failing

I just managed to fix the screen in my 9-3 SID by using my iron on the glue that attaches the ribbon cable and then putting it back together with a stack of thick double sided tape to wedge it. Sounds daunting but really is a dead easy 10 minute fix!

If only i had got round to it when i was still driving the car rather than when i was breaking it for parts!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

One was burnt from arching so I cleaned it up and bent the contact springs for a good contact and it now works like a champ. I'll be ordering a replacement as I'm sure I'm on borrowed time. Thanks for identifying the part.

Now stop spilling cola in the drat ignition! :v:

Tomarse posted:

I just managed to fix the screen in my 9-3 SID by using my iron on the glue that attaches the ribbon cable and then putting it back together with a stack of thick double sided tape to wedge it. Sounds daunting but really is a dead easy 10 minute fix!

This works quite well for all SID-1 and SID2 applications that I've tested it on. They're surprisingly easy to tear apart. My first attempt, I was at about 85%. Second attempt, I cut up a foam placemat and wedged it right against the board and screwed down the top, 95%. Still passes. :v:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

I honestly thought I was going to see something like remnants of a drink but it was bone dry. Honest!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

My replacement EVAP check valve arrived today which was installed to go along with a new gas cap from earlier in the week.. P0455 CEL (Major EVAP Leak) was cleared, hasn't come back.

I then put the car back up on stands and checked under my car again for oil leakage. I believe what I was seeing was the residual from the spill and not from the plug. I did however notice another small leak from the front of the block, either the valve covers (which I know are leaking) or possibly from the exhaust header area. And as a side note, I had a brainfart when doing my oil yesterday and put in a whole 5 QT (4.7 liter) jug of Mobil 1. So guess who got to drain about a half a liter from the oil pan. :v: After I drop the sump this weekend I plan on switching over to Rotella T6 which is what I used in the Saabaru.

Slowly but surely, making progress.

Quick question: How does the plastic trim that contains the seat controls attach to the driver's seat? Mine seems to have detached which results in random seat adjustments when bumped.

Also, I know I have a SID2, but apparently some of the earlier SID2's have SID1 ribbons? Is there anyway to tell the difference besides complete disassembly? Edit: Apparently it doesnt matter since I can just self repair myself with heat and double sided tape.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 25, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

I then put the car back up on stands and checked under my car again for oil leakage. I believe what I was seeing was the residual from the spill and not from the plug. I did however notice another small leak from the front of the block, either the valve covers (which I know are leaking) or possibly from the exhaust header area. And as a side note, I had a brainfart when doing my oil yesterday and put in a whole 5 QT (4.7 liter) jug of Mobil 1. So guess who got to drain about a half a liter from the oil pan. :v: After I drop the sump this weekend I plan on switching over to Rotella T6 which is what I used in the Saabaru

Its the loving timing cover. Ignore it, already.

JayKay posted:

Quick question: How does the plastic trim that contains the seat controls attach to the driver's seat? Mine seems to have detached which results in random seat adjustments when bumped.

It has a couple screws holding it in which you can remove with the given toolkit. Glue on new supports with epoxy and cut beer cans. It'll last longer.

JayKay posted:

Also, I know I have a SID2, but apparently some of the earlier SID2's have SID1 ribbons? Is there anyway to tell the difference besides complete disassembly? Edit: Apparently it doesnt matter since I can just self repair myself with heat and double sided tape.

Nope, and you have already figured this out. Take time on it and make sure there is pressure with the tape when you screw it back into place.. and the squeaky plastic GM interior should hold it in place.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

Steven posted:

Hey y'all. I have a pretty much bone stock 1998 9000cse that I've been dd'ing for the past decade. It's getting a bit rusty on the passenger side A pillar, as well as underneath the windshield. I've decided to have it repaired... But I also want to have the whole thing repainted and get some performance stuff done too. Basically what I'm asking is what would you guys suggest having done to make a really kickass one of a kind 9000?

Late to the party here, but I might be able to provide some suggestions - I have two 9000 Aeros, one slightly modded.

How much are you wanting to spend on it? Is it a manual or an auto? And does it have a sunroof?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

West SAAB Story posted:

This works quite well for all SID-1 and SID2 applications that I've tested it on. They're surprisingly easy to tear apart. My first attempt, I was at about 85%. Second attempt, I cut up a foam placemat and wedged it right against the board and screwed down the top, 95%. Still passes. :v:

Did you iron both ends of the ribbon? I was stuck at 95% until I realised I had only looked at one end of the ribbon. 100% after that :smuggo:

You can also power the SID up with it all apart and the screen hanging off, then just push on the ribbon until you find the bit that isn't connecting properly and give that extra attention with the iron.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Tomarse posted:

Did you iron both ends of the ribbon? I was stuck at 95% until I realised I had only looked at one end of the ribbon. 100% after that :smuggo:

You can also power the SID up with it all apart and the screen hanging off, then just push on the ribbon until you find the bit that isn't connecting properly and give that extra attention with the iron.

Nah, I just did the one end, because it was very brittle where it attached to the LCD side, so I built that up with the foam. I wasn't going to dick around with it in the car, because I wasn't at a point with the car that the SID would have been functional - and I was too lazy to yank the SID2 out of the other car and try it. I just wanted it to be 'good enough' for the person I was fixing it up for. If it was going to stay, I would have made sure it was 100%.. but at the time, I was more interested in tackling the massive evap leak.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Any tips on removing a non-broken roller from the regulator? I've already pulled the pin off and cannot get the drat thing off if my life depended on it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Any tips on removing a non-broken roller from the regulator? I've already pulled the pin off and cannot get the drat thing off if my life depended on it.

Roll it out the other way? I usually stick something in the center and just drag it out the right side. :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
So.. tempting..

Craigslist posted:

My Father bought this gem new when the gas crunch hit in 1974. He had a 1970 Olds Toronada that was a great car but was thirsty. He chose the Saab because he loved the front wheel drive Toronado and never wanted a rear drive car again. A Saab 99 two door of this vintage that is as nice of an original un-restored car as this is a rare find. This car has been stored inside for all of it's life except for about two years.. The body has no rust and has never been damaged except for a shallow baseball dent on the back of the right side of the hood.

This car has 97,000 miles on it and is not currently running due to some leaking fuel injection hoses and old gasoline. When time allows later this spring, I will get it running and driving. This car has never been repainted and the paint would buff out very nicely. The interior is still very good except for a sagging headliner and a split on the right front seat backrest. It even has a pair of the optional headrests that fill the hole in the top of the front seat backrests. I have one of the original full wheel covers and would like to findn at least 3 more if you have any idea who might have some. Delivery around Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and the Dakotas is possible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Nice car but crack pipe price.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Nice car but crack pipe price.

Montana does that to SAABs. NOT EVEN ONCE.

I'm strongly considering buying nice CA/NV cars, fixing them, and selling in MT.. but then again, no smog, why bother to fix?

:q:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fixed my broken LF door roller and properly reassembled the door trim this time. :v: Edit: I just went at the stubborn roller with a long flathead and it came off the regulator no problem.

Tomorrow's plan:
-Drop sump and clean, replace oil pickup and o ring

-Replace valve cover gasket and all headbolts

-Drain and replace ATF and coolant

-Air Filter

-Replace FR door lock actuator so I'll have 2 working power locks :dance:

Near Future:
-All 4 shock/strut and spring replacement

-Cabin air filter

-RF blend door arm replacement with metal arm

-ACC recirc fan repair.

-SID repair (only missing a couple of lines, not a high priority)

Slowly but surely making progress.......

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How could you tell if a car is actually an SPG? This one appears to have no special badging of any kind but does have a huge spoiler and an interesting paint colour.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-Saab-900-SPG-TURBO-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ520977642

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

The body kit makes me think it's an SPG. Maybe try a VIN check?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

No luck in dropping the oil pan today. I got hung up on the turbo studs and that pretty much derailed my day. The top 2 came off as one piece with some PB blaster, however the bottom one, the nut came off cleanly without the stud. This is a problem because there is not enough clearance between the downpipe and the stud to drop the exhaust. I tried doing the 2 nut (:quagmire:) method in order to try to remove the stud but had no luck. The good news is the stud isn't broken, the bad news is I have no freaking idea how to get it out.

Oh well, going to do the valve cover gasket and head bolts tomorrow.

Edit: Note to self: When changing out air filter, keep face away from the door when you finally drop it. Not only does the filter drop, but all the crap that's accumulated inside does too. :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 28, 2013

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man in enjoy my Saab 9-5 but really miss my Saab 900. One day...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Someday I'll have the time, money, and energy to fix my dad's 5-speed 99 sedan with him.

That water pump... :sigh:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Second "long" trip in the TX last week. Of course, it started throwing a code, so, like a dumbfuck, I didn't bother packing my ODBII reader for the second time, second trip, got one off Amazon w/ next day shipping for under $20 to relatives. gently caress you, gas cap. gently caress you twice. You scared the poo poo out of me.

Didn't take any pictures, but logged over 2,000 miles. Yellowstone was closed, and a few shop owners were not happy.. :haw:

e: gently caress I POSTED THE PRE-RESIZED IMAGE. HOW DOES I KILL IT?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
Resurrecting this thread to post this:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4120082577.html

I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow and I'll spend tonight reading the thread. What do you guys think of the price? Anything I should look out for?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Its a 900S. The 5 speed manual tranny, if it works OK, will be fun, but the car is still going to be a bit of a dog by todays' standards. Try driving it and see if you can live with how short 1st gear is. It's not all that fun when doing a lot of city driving. 180k isn't too bad for mileage - ask for maintenance records.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

This thing is seriously so much fun. Everything is in working order but the gas gauge. Also I have to hold the first gear in or else it just gets thrown back out when I disengage the clutch? Anyone know what the deal is with that? It seems well maintained though, and has receipts for a new head gasket, clutch, clutch master and slave and a couple of other things I'm forgetting.

This thing is loving luxurious though, I love it.

Oh yeah! Also, according to the PO, although there aren't any coolant leaks (I was inclined to believe him against my better judgment... LOL), it goes through a good amount of coolant. I'm gonna check it out for leaks when I have some free time in a week or so (I won't be driving it much in the meantime as it doesn't have tags yet). For what it's worth, I do live in the desert. Also, the oil seems devoid of coolant which is reassuring.

Antifa Sarkeesian fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 20, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Congrats on your C900. Now fix the paint! :q:

You probably need to adjust your shift cable if the shifter itself doesn't feel loose. Worst case (in my experience), your syncro may be worn out.

If its gobbling coolant, and its not giving magic white smoke out the rear end or making milkshakes, check your radiator and hoses.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There's an 01 Viggen in my small town paper today - 101k, $6900, black/black. PM me if you want the number.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Panda Bear posted:

This thing is seriously so much fun. Everything is in working order but the gas gauge. Also I have to hold the first gear in or else it just gets thrown back out when I disengage the clutch? Anyone know what the deal is with that? It seems well maintained though, and has receipts for a new head gasket, clutch, clutch master and slave and a couple of other things I'm forgetting.

This thing is loving luxurious though, I love it.

Oh yeah! Also, according to the PO, although there aren't any coolant leaks (I was inclined to believe him against my better judgment... LOL), it goes through a good amount of coolant. I'm gonna check it out for leaks when I have some free time in a week or so (I won't be driving it much in the meantime as it doesn't have tags yet). For what it's worth, I do live in the desert. Also, the oil seems devoid of coolant which is reassuring.
Congrats, Panda! Is it just me or am I the only one who almost likes the C900 sedans more than the hatches? I know hatches are always cool, especially on AI, but the sedans are just so drat funky, with this bizarre "drunkenly carved piece of soap" shape, that I just have to love it. I'm not sure if the handling character would be any different than my old C900 hatch, but tell me how it is anyway, PB. Färg mig avundsjuk!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Congrats, Panda! Is it just me or am I the only one who almost likes the C900 sedans more than the hatches?

Nope. I think the C900 sedans are awesome, but I prefer the NG900 hatches over the NG900 sedans. :shrug:

Took my TX in to get my alignment checked. She's fine now, just needed some minor adjustments.

Going to pick up my 2K 95 Aero tomorrow. :dance:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

Nope. I think the C900 sedans are awesome, but I prefer the NG900 hatches over the NG900 sedans. :shrug:
You are correct to say this.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

Thank you guys! I just have a few issues, the first gear being the least important to me.

So the heater doesn't work and the engine takes a long time to warm up. A/C seems to be fine and gets very cold in no time but the air temperature doesn't change at all when I turn the knob. The dashboard temp gauge will only show about 1/3 after I drive around 30 minutes and this seems very slow/cold to me. I was thinking maybe my thermostat is broken/stuck open? Am I in any danger of overheating? I admittedly know very little about cooling systems. Is the c900 cooling system very difficult to work on?

My gas gauge also doesn't work. Is this an easy fix at all? If I can't fix it, it's not the end of the world.

Sorry for all the questions but I haven't gotten a chance to pick up a shop manual or anything for it.

And just to make this a complete list of the car's issues, my driver's side front window has refused to roll up on me a couple of times already and now I'm afraid to roll it down again. I'm gonna have to find a junkyard motor or whatever it is that makes the window move right? Sorry if this is a dumb question too but I've always had manual windows before this.

Otherwise it is a blast to drive so far and makes more power than my last car which was a 1.5 liter Honda. The steering is a little wonkier and feels more like my old Subaru wagon than the go-kart feel of the Honda. The waistline and steep windshield angle also sort of make me feel like I'm driving a little truck, or a more classic car. It's definitely unique. I'm gonna see if I can get a friend of mine to help me with the paint as well.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Happy SAAB day, everyone!

Meet DDTT (Daily Driver, Take Two). She is 128k fresh, and although I miss the whine of the LPT, I do enjoy it being an Aero.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

It really doesn't know what type of car it wants to be. Is it a hot hatch? Is it a malnourished minivan? :iiam:

83k with a single owner, the body is a bit dinged up but great for a 11 year old car. Interior is immaculate. The rear bumper is scratched to hell though but it looks like something I can fix

How would I fix it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a respray job unfortunately. Then you should throw 3M film on it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Panda Bear posted:

The waistline and steep windshield angle also sort of make me feel like I'm driving a little truck, or a more classic car. It's definitely unique. I'm gonna see if I can get a friend of mine to help me with the paint as well.

That feeling's called visibility. Get used to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

Happy SAAB day, everyone!

Meet DDTT (Daily Driver, Take Two). She is 128k fresh, and although I miss the whine of the LPT, I do enjoy it being an Aero.

'00 Aero with 128k in Midnight Blue? I might need to check my garage to ensure you didn't steal my car.