Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I don't think it was slowly disappearing. I think Tom's art style and his depiction of the ear gradually changed over time.

I think we've gone over this before, like check this out: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=270

compared to this: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1239

Definitely a big and significant difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also note that the last treatise highlights Ysengrin's damaged ear, so there's something up with it, whatever it may be.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I don't think it was slowly disappearing. I think Tom's art style and his depiction of the ear gradually changed over time.

I did this a little while ago, and although it could be the art style it does look like it's degenerated over time.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Tenebrais posted:

Also note that the last treatise highlights Ysengrin's damaged ear, so there's something up with it, whatever it may be.

Hah, I just noticed he basically used the Wolverhampton Wanderers logo to represent Ysengrin. Makes sense considering he's from the Brum. I wonder if he's a fan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

On the top left, is that a wheel-style angel (ophanim) with electronic symbols instead of eyes?

So what mysteries are there left in this Treatise? Most of the stuff in it's shown up at this point. I think.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 26, 2013

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

electronic symbols instead of eyes?

Photoresistors, specifically.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AE-35 Unit posted:

Photoresistors, specifically.

Yeah, I figured it was some kind of light sensor, given the symbol and what it's replacing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tenebrais posted:

Court buildings are looking extra bismuthy in that image.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rasamune posted:

Hmmm, now I wonder: Does Annie have her sword?

And is she willing to use it? :ohdear:

Most probably not. She should remember Coyote was willing to cut her hand off if she revealed her gift to Forest people, and using it against the Fun Citizens would probably count. Even if the Fun Citizens themselves don't count as Forest people, there's at least Ysengrin as a witness.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Portals posted:

I did this a little while ago, and although it could be the art style it does look like it's degenerated over time.

I don't know if I agree. It doesn't so much degenerate as go directly from ragged to nothing at all, with no phases in between.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I've waited too long to see SSJ2 Annie in action.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means setting things on fire.

Or as I like to call it, diplomancy.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I tried reading this about a year ago and gave up after the first chapter, since it didn't seem to click with me and I didn't know much about it.

I made a terrible mistake that day.

Someone with a Gunnerkrigg avatar made me remember it (fake edit: looking through the thread it was wdarkk, thank you for that), a quick search lead me to this thread, and that convinced me to give it another try.

That was yesterday and I am now caught up. It's been a long time since I've put this much time into something at once.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Desuwa posted:

I tried reading this about a year ago and gave up after the first chapter, since it didn't seem to click with me and I didn't know much about it.

The first chapter or two definitely seem to lean on that weird, alien vibe more than the rest of the comic. Just compare the way the corridors look at the start of the comic to the start of this chapter. I suppose it could be said that this reflects the way Annie sees the court, as it comes to feel more like home to her.
Or perhaps Tom just changed his vision a bit over the years.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Annie is gonna blast them all, and when Coyote returns she will tell him she followed his advice. He and Ysengrin will be like "what did tou DO? you were supposed to go learn monster slang! why would you interpret it like this!"

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Tenebrais posted:

The first chapter or two definitely seem to lean on that weird, alien vibe more than the rest of the comic. Just compare the way the corridors look at the start of the comic to the start of this chapter. I suppose it could be said that this reflects the way Annie sees the court, as it comes to feel more like home to her.

Well with her head shaped like that it's no wonder everything looked so screwy :v:

Really, though, it would be cool if Tom redid the earlier strips sometime and made it so that it is the way Annie sees the court. But with awesomer art.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That's always a really slippery slope- every time I've seen a webcomic artist try to do that it always detracts from the current story. I would rather he just focus on making great new stuff. Besides, the early chapters are already out in book form, it's a bit late for that now.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Or maybe Annie was just in the "Magic Cyberpunk Hellscape" parts of the Court instead of the "Normal High-School we Swear" parts.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I liked the art in the beginning :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ysengrin seems impressed.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

YES. This page is the start of something awesome. :black101:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So Anne's a buffing/offensive magic class I take it? :rolldice:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So Anne's a buffing/offensive magic class I take it? :rolldice:

Ysen's going to be mad when he realizes how OPed Casters are.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

drat, she's got some firepower! :toot:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Man, Fridays are simultaneously the best and the worst when it comes to this comic. I want to see what happens next right now. I don't want to wait until Monday for the next episode of GCZ.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Burn them, Annie.

:flame:

Hell yes, now this is what I call character development

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man, Annie has really good balance.

Oh, yeah, and she's able to wreathe herself and Ysengrin in flames and see her enemies driven before her.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"Support your tank", I feel is gonna join the ranks of "Thank you, Vegeta" and "The train is nicknamed Blaine" where Tom just reads exactly what I was thinking, and I'm sure on my rereads the joke will surprise me anew like it does every single time.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Oh my goodness.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Blackheart posted:

Annie is gonna blast them all, and when Coyote returns she will tell him she followed his advice. He and Ysengrin will be like "what did tou DO? you were supposed to go learn monster slang! why would you interpret it like this!"

Nah, everyone knows that trolls are fluent in burn.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Talking is how the Court handles things. The forest ain't got time for that when there's a good fight to be had.

"Court people talk like this, and Forest people talk like this."

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

If somebody's lacking a GC avatar, today seems like a good day to fix that problem:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Quinton posted:

If somebody's lacking a GC avatar, today seems like a good day to fix that problem:

Oh man, I have to get one of these. Any ideas for text?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Quinton posted:

Those helped me notice: compare her eyes as they're drawn in those images to the eyes of the fire spirit Zimmy sees inside of her.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

SerSpook posted:

Oh man, I have to get one of these. Any ideas for text?

When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Quinton posted:

I hope SerSpook does not mind too much if I claim the second one.

EDIT: vvv Thanks.

Also for text I was considering "Diplomatic [fire] immunity." but decided against it.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 27, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

I hope SerSpook does not mind too much if I claim the second one.

Go for it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Annie, I'm pretty sure you qualify as a forest fire hazard right now. :ohdear:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I know it's just the underside of his muzzle/snout, but god it looks like Ysengrin has the happiest face in panel 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Welcome to Fun City

Any suggestions? Tried putting in a black border but I'm terrible with editing stuff apparently :eng99:

edit: Eh, I like it well enough.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 27, 2013