Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DonnyTrump posted:

I've got two core sets coming, this game looks really fun. Any opinions on the iOS dice app? Just wondering if it's worth it or if the real dice is better. Thanks!

With two core sets coming you'll have enough dice to not need to bother with the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

With two core sets coming you'll have enough dice to not need to bother with the app.

Seconding this. I've never had to roll more than 5 of any one color die, and that's an edge case in and of itself. I roll 4 all the time though, the extra dice were a lot of the draw of a second core for me.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Quick question. When is evading better than focus as an action? Does using an evade negate an autoblaster hit? Or will it function like a dice rolled evade and just knock a crit roll down to a normal damage roll?

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

It depends on how many defense dice you roll. The fewer dice you roll, the better an evade action will be, as you have fewer chances of the focus icon turning up.

edit: went looking for the dice odds, found this thread on Board Game Geek.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Quick question, still learning the game, got in 2x of all the wave three ships but one lambda shuttle, so finally getting to grips with upgrade cards that do interesting things.

So, assault missiles, do they only fire off once? Or does every ship at range 1 take the extra damage on EACH hit?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Cassa posted:

Quick question, still learning the game, got in 2x of all the wave three ships but one lambda shuttle, so finally getting to grips with upgrade cards that do interesting things.

So, assault missiles, do they only fire off once? Or does every ship at range 1 take the extra damage on EACH hit?

Secondary weapons only have an effect when you fire them and one of the effects of using Assault Missiles is that the card gets ditched, limiting them to a single use.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Secondary weapons only have an effect when you fire them and one of the effects of using Assault Missiles is that the card gets ditched, limiting them to a single use.

Oooh hadn't noticed the discard bit.

OK, so I use it, and roll 2 hits, nearby ships are still only hit once?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

It depends on how many defense dice you roll. The fewer dice you roll, the better an evade action will be, as you have fewer chances of the focus icon turning up.

edit: went looking for the dice odds, found this thread on Board Game Geek.

Thanks for the link.

Can anyone answer the second part of my question? If you take an evade action, and an Autoblaster attacks, can that evade token be used to negate a hit? Or can it only be used like the rolled evades, in knocking crit hits down to normal hits?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cassa posted:

Oooh hadn't noticed the discard bit.

OK, so I use it, and roll 2 hits, nearby ships are still only hit once?

Yes, the card says "if the attack hits, each other ship at range one if the defender takes one damage."

It doesn't matter what you roll on the attack as long as it hits.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I found out a store only 30min from me does regionals and weekly tournaments ($3/5 buy-in and winner/2nd gets toys). They also host something called "OP events" that supposedly have prizes. What are those and what sorts of prizes are included? Promos? I really want a Jek Porkins and Lt. Kettch card someday. :3:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for the link.

Can anyone answer the second part of my question? If you take an evade action, and an Autoblaster attacks, can that evade token be used to negate a hit? Or can it only be used like the rolled evades, in knocking crit hits down to normal hits?

I did a lot of googling and it seems like FFG intended for you to be able to use evade tokens to cancel autoblaster hits but the wording is real ambiguous.

Fox of Stone posted:

So I found out a store only 30min from me does regionals and weekly tournaments ($3/5 buy-in and winner/2nd gets toys). They also host something called "OP events" that supposedly have prizes. What are those and what sorts of prizes are included? Promos? I really want a Jek Porkins and Lt. Kettch card someday. :3:

They're alternate art cards and sometimes acrylic tokens. FFG is pretty good about not including actual gameplay relevant things as prizes which keeps things more casual. Unlike wiz kids with Star Trek attack wing, but I digress.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 25, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Fox of Stone posted:

Probably game night kits like: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4122

Porkins will probably be in the Medium Transport box.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Anyone know if there are plans to sell "decks" in the near future? I really don't need to own 5 X-wings, but to get the cards I want, I need to buy 3 more X-Wings >.<. I'd rather just buy the one X-Wing I need, and then the two card packs.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Kilazar posted:

Anyone know if there are plans to sell "decks" in the near future? I really don't need to own 5 X-wings, but to get the cards I want, I need to buy 3 more X-Wings >.<. I'd rather just buy the one X-Wing I need, and then the two card packs.

I would love if they did this but I feel like it will never happen. Its going to start getting even more crazy with repaints of ships that include new cards. You're going to end up with way more ship models than you need just to get card combinations.

Im going to just start using card proxies I think and only buy expansions for lists I actually want to fly.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kilazar posted:

After the Imperial Aces expansion I'll have 12 Interceptors :(.

I have a problem.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
It wouldn't bother me if tourneys' would let you use card prints as long as you had the actual ships.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Are there really that many cards that you aren't going to assemble plenty of duplicates for just by buying the ships you want to run?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Advanced sensors only come in lambda shuttles and are great for b-wings. Other than that... stealth devices?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Push the Limit, Stealth, Engine upgrade, Gunner, Shield upgrade...theres a lot of cards that are very likely to be run multiple times in a single tournament list that only come in one specific ship pack.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kilazar posted:

Or can it only be used like the rolled evades, in knocking crit hits down to normal hits?

This isn't how evade works. Critical hits are canceled like normal hits: one evade icon cancels them. It's just that you have to cancel regular hits before you can cancel critical hits.

Rulebook posted:

6. Compare results
During this step, players compare their dice results to determine whether the defender was hit.
To determine whether the defender was hit, compare
the number of [evade], [hit], and [crit] results in the common area. For each result, cancel (remove) one [hit] or [crit] result from the attack roll. All [hit] results must be canceled before any [crit] results may be canceled.
If there is at least one uncanceled [hit] or [crit] result
remaining, the defender is considered hit (see page 13). If all [hit] and [crit] result are canceled, the attack misses and the defender does not suffer any damage.

Canceling dice
Each time a die result is canceled, a player takes one die displaying the canceled result and physically
removes the die from the common area. Players ignore all canceled results during this attack. All abilities that allow players to cancel dice must be resolved at the start of the “Compare Results” step.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I know I don't need another X-Wing and don't really want to buy the Medium Transport model just to get Jek Porkins. But I'm sure FFG will trick me into it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Achmed Jones posted:

This isn't how evade works. Critical hits are canceled like normal hits: one evade icon cancels them. It's just that you have to cancel regular hits before you can cancel critical hits.

He was specifically asking about autoblaster, where the hits can't be cancelled by defense dice, and you have to cancel crits first.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

He was specifically asking about autoblaster, where the hits can't be cancelled by defense dice, and you have to cancel crits first.

^^^ What he said.

I know how normal evade works. I'm trying to figure out how to counter autoblaster since it seems to vaporize anything that gets near it. So I was hoping you can use an evade token to help mitigate the damage hits that are not crits, since rolled evades can ONLY knock crits down to hits.

jivjov posted:

Are there really that many cards that you aren't going to assemble plenty of duplicates for just by buying the ships you want to run?

I need 3 shield upgrades for the list I want to run. But I don't want to buy two Falcons to get them.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 26, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ah, I see - I didn't realize the autoblaster had that bit. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

edit: Wait, is this correct? If so, crits are cancelled normally, not changed to hits. Since evade tokens add one evade symbol, you would not be able to use them to cancel [hit]s, but you would be able to use them to cancel (not reduce to [hit]) [crit]s.

Where are you seeing that [crit] is changed to [hit] instead of being canceled normally? Am I just looking at the wrong card/missing some errata?

Edit again: I just dug out my card, and it is the same as the one I linked. I don't think downgrading [crit] to [hit] is something that is done in this instance.

In any case, the card says that [hit] can't be cancelled by defense dice. Adding an [evade] result with an evade token seems to as adding a die since it's in the Modify Defense Dice step, so it looks to me like you cannot use evade tokens to cancel [hit] results, although you can use them (along with rolled [evade] results) to cancel [crit] results. But the intended reading could be that [evade] produced by dice and [evade] produced by tokens are different things. I'd go with the former, but it's certainly ambiguous.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 26, 2013

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
If an autoblaster rolls 2 hits and a crit against a ship which has an evade token and rolls 2 evades on its defense roll the result is that one of the dice cancels the crit (completely), the token cancels one of the regular hits, and the last hit can't be canceled so the ship ends up taking one damage.

The on autoblaster about canceling crits before hits is there so that you can cancel them at all: normally in order to cancel a crit you have to cancel all the regular hits first. It's not saying that canceled crits turn into regular hits.

Edit: evade tokens and defence dice both create evade symbols that can be used to cancel hit symbols. Evade tokens don't add new dice with the symbol. Autoblaster only prevents you from using the ones that come from physical dice.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 26, 2013

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What the card is trying to say is if someone rolls a hit and crit with autoblaster and you have an evade token, you may ignore the original rule that says "you must cancel hits before crits" and use the evade token to cancel the crit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The design seems to intend that evade results from defense dice and evade tokens are not the same thing (otherwise the cards would just say "hits cannot be cancelled"), but yeah they really need to FAQ it because arguments both ways make sense.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Probably game night kits like: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4122

Porkins will probably be in the Medium Transport box.

Oh geez, I thought it was a fat joke but nope. Looked it up and they're selling non-tourney "scenario" ships. Looking at their size, I'm guessing they'll be $75-100. :(

Also, anyone know if you can paint these models?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

Also, anyone know if you can paint these models?

Sure, why not? As long as they were originally FFG products, you could have Hello Kitty TIE Fighters and a Barney Slave-1 if you wanted to.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well sure, I don't think anyone cares as I've seen repaintrd heroclix figures before. I'm more wondering if the paint sticks without primer, if details are lost with primer, or if I would need to somehow strip that paint that's already there first. I'm not familiar with the type of plastic FFG uses for its minis or type of paint applied.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There are lots of people who've painted right over the existing paint (at least a couple in this thread) and at least one guy who posted details on his blog about how he stripped the paint off an A-Wing and did a complete paint job on that. He guessed it's styrene but he didn't try any styrene glue on it to confirm it.

Had my first 'real' game last night, using the 31 points suggested in the manual because all we had was my starter set. Real good fun! I won with Luke and a Marksmanship upgrade against a couple of TIE fighters. Tonight we'll have another 2 or 3 games, one of the guys in my group has a starter set of his own but he hasn't played yet, so we'll do a Quick Start game (my third), then a 31-point game and maybe a 60-point or so game if we have time.

I must say, the complete set of rules are really clear and laid out well, every question we had was quickly answered, even follow-up questions about rules we were looking up were answered just by reading another sentence or two.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

alg posted:

I know I don't need another X-Wing and don't really want to buy the Medium Transport model just to get Jek Porkins. But I'm sure FFG will trick me into it.

Just wait then, I will have at least 3 of them, no need for duplicate unique pilots (I have so many alrady, anyone want a Wege? I have 4)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LumberingTroll posted:

Just wait then, I will have at least 3 of them, no need for duplicate unique pilots (I have so many alrady, anyone want a Wege? I have 4)

Obviously your love of spaceships goes far beyond virtual ones.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

Ah, I see - I didn't realize the autoblaster had that bit. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

edit: Wait, is this correct? If so, crits are cancelled normally, not changed to hits. Since evade tokens add one evade symbol, you would not be able to use them to cancel [hit]s, but you would be able to use them to cancel (not reduce to [hit]) [crit]s.

Where are you seeing that [crit] is changed to [hit] instead of being canceled normally? Am I just looking at the wrong card/missing some errata?

Edit again: I just dug out my card, and it is the same as the one I linked. I don't think downgrading [crit] to [hit] is something that is done in this instance.

In any case, the card says that [hit] can't be cancelled by defense dice. Adding an [evade] result with an evade token seems to as adding a die since it's in the Modify Defense Dice step, so it looks to me like you cannot use evade tokens to cancel [hit] results, although you can use them (along with rolled [evade] results) to cancel [crit] results. But the intended reading could be that [evade] produced by dice and [evade] produced by tokens are different things. I'd go with the former, but it's certainly ambiguous.

Ahh cool, I only got to read it the night we played and for some reason read it as crits were changed to hits if defense dice generated evades. That makes it a lot less lethal.

Is there a trading/selling thread for this? I don't have much to trade, but I would not mind giving someone a dollar two for cards they don't want. Like shield upgrades!

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 26, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Obviously your love of spaceships goes far beyond virtual ones.

ahaha you have no idea :D

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Just played a game with a friend last night. I'm hooked, this is a lot of fun.

Now to go buy all the Imperial ships I can find and whine about no Tie Advanced.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Citizen Z posted:

Just played a game with a friend last night. I'm hooked, this is a lot of fun.

Now to go buy all the Imperial ships I can find and whine about no Tie Advanced.

That friend would be me :P

We played a 50 point game, he took Dark Curse, Mauler, and a Black squadron. I took two rookies (might have been red squads cant' remember) one with an R2, the other with determination and marksmanship. I'm thing taking rookies loaded up just to have two ships was a mistake. I feel the game would have been different with a loaded up Luke, but at 50 I'm not sure that is doable with just two starters.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I dunno, I'm of the opinion that the extra set of guns and health another ship brings is generally better than upgrades, especially at that low point level. I mean, sure, Luke + R2-D2 is reasonably hard to kill, but not that hard when there are three TIEs shooting at just him.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Swagger Dagger posted:

mean, sure, Luke + R2-D2 is reasonably hard to kill, but not that hard when there are three TIEs shooting at just him.

I dunno, I did a 60 pt game last night (our first of that size), took Luke with R2 (and Marksmanship but that's mostly irrelevant) partnered with Biggs and by the time Biggs was killed (I did formation flying to keep him as a meat shield) Luke was still facing 3 TIE fighters, only one of which had damage and none of them were the cheapest option.

I rolled really lucky defense rolls 2 turns in a row where 1 hit would have killed Luke, but he built his shields back up and took down the TIEs one by one. Took a while, though, with all the careful maneuvering I had to do! Loaded up Luke was really good, at least for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Finally got to play my new stuff. Tien Numb with the Autoblaster is beast as heck. Well worth the points. Combine him with Kyle Katarn, who proved a lot better than I thought he would be, for a nice little combo.

Hopefully later this week I can try the new Imperial ships. Wanna fire that Lambda.

• Locked thread