Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boiled Water posted:

Sounds like an absurd way to run a business. Lets limit potential sales that's a great idea!

Conditions in the market gave it precedent, mostly because a flood of crappy games is what killed the Atari, so Nintendo adopted an almost pathologic defense to make sure that didn't happen again. They just never got out of that mindset, in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Sounds like an absurd way to run a business. Lets limit potential sales that's a great idea!

Nintendo's entry into the U.S. market was immediately following the video game crash, caused by a glut of literally unplayable games (and Atari themselves were also to blame for this). Trust in video games was completely dead (and Nintendo had to bundle R.O.B. to disguise that it was a video game system when it first launched) and a lot of their rules were intended to control the flow of software titles and focus more on quality rather than quantity. This was a viable formula in the NES days and these rules were necessary to build trust in the system at the time.

The problem is that Nintendo has been unbelievably slow in abandoning that level of control and their mindset, like how all of their games had to be censored and made kid-friendly until the ESRB started to gain traction and they started losing sales to Sega, whose policies were more lenient.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

unimportantguy posted:

People keep suggesting that Nintendo should bring more powerful hardware to the market as if it would fix anything, but I really don't think it would do much at all as far as courting third party developers. Industry talking heads have said time and again over the last decade that people buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games, and there's little point in developing for a Nintendo platform because people will just buy Mario instead. Even the Wii pretty much only sold Nintendo games, party game collections, and Just Dance. It doesn't matter if your system *can* run GTA5 if nobody is interested in buying it for that platform. Even when Nintendo's consoles are successful and well-advertised, they don't bring in third-party developers because there's no money to be had there.

Yeah I don't think most people's idea of "get a bunch of developers to make their gun shooting games for Nintendo's system too" is really going to make them start selling when there are two other systems for that already.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Has anyone thought, instead of eliminating the tablet, keep the tablet and eliminate the console? You'd need a much better screen, and it would be expensive to shove the WiiU components in there, but current tablets just Ste not good at games because of their lack of controls. A real tablet instead of the pseudo tablet from Nintendo with Nintendo controls that was either portable or streaming to your TV would be great.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Which just raises more questions about Nintendo's place in the home console market. Are people willing to buy hardware that only supports one company's games? Is Nintendo capable of churning out enough games on their own to satisfy people who buy their consoles? It seems like the transition to HD games has really slowed down their ability to put out games at least for the moment.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its amazing that the 2 giants of the 16bit generation are going to both end up as software developers for their rivals.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

greatn posted:

Has anyone thought, instead of eliminating the tablet, keep the tablet and eliminate the console? You'd need a much better screen, and it would be expensive to shove the WiiU components in there, but current tablets just Ste not good at games because of their lack of controls. A real tablet instead of the pseudo tablet from Nintendo with Nintendo controls that was either portable or streaming to your TV would be great.
The gamepad isn't a real tablet, as it just streams what it gets from the hardware. You'd basically be developing a wholly new piece of hardware by doing that.

You'd also have to consider that such a device would be directly competing with the 3DS.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Don Lapre posted:

Its amazing that the 2 giants of the 16bit generation are going to both end up as software developers for their rivals.

If you think this then you probably haven't followed how stubborn Nintendo has been for the last billion years. I'm pretty certain Nintendo would rather go out of business than create games for other companies and they have even stated as much.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rorus Raz posted:

The gamepad isn't a real tablet, as it just streams what it gets from the hardware. You'd basically be developing a wholly new piece of hardware by doing that.

You'd also have to consider that such a device would be directly competing with the 3DS.

That's exactly what I'm talking about such a device would not be competing with 3DS, it would be a successor

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

whaley posted:

If you think this then you probably haven't followed how stubborn Nintendo has been for the last billion years. I'm pretty certain Nintendo would rather go out of business than create games for other companies and they have even stated as much.

They're a publicly traded company. They aren't allowed to commit suicide.

If it comes to it they'll go third party, or be swallowed by some other company entirely, or be propped up by the Japanese government, not just close doors. But I think they'd shift to an exclusive focus on handheld and mobile development first, since they've always done well there, portable systems can be very powerful these days, and bleeding-edge consoles are very expensive to develop for.

Maybe their next system will be a handheld with a TV out, or come in handheld and TV versions like the Vita.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So who exactly are you guys expecting to be the new CEO? Somebody who's both not Japanese as well as being someone who doesn't already work for the company in some capacity?

Do what Sony did and give their American branch the ability to call the shots. Their biggest liability is that they still don't understand the west and treat it like a secondary market.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 26, 2013

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Peel posted:

But I think they'd shift to an exclusive focus on handheld and mobile development first, since they've always done well there, portable systems can be very powerful these days, and bleeding-edge consoles are very expensive to develop for.

This really seems like the most logical approach. Leave behind the expensive, low-profit console sector, concentrate on the portable market where you make money. Hell, maybe try something crazy like a Nintendo Phone or something.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nintendo seems to be having a lot of trouble adapting to HD consoles, although from playing Pikmin 3 it's clearly not because they don't have good enough artists or programmers. A lot of Japanese developers have the problem of having an inefficient workflow, which doesn't mesh well with expensive assets. There's no way a game can be made today the way Resident Evil 4 was, where they scrapped at least four different versions, one even becoming a new series, until they found one that worked perfectly. You can't do that sort of iterative design, since the most efficient way of making a game is to use a tried and tested formula and sticking to it.

Western studios are able to make series like Mass Effect, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed at a much faster pace than Japanese studios (with the exception of the Yakuza team), although they do need to play it safe. One of the reasons why I appreciate Platinum so much is because they are able to make innovative games and still have high production values.

Nintendo seem to suffer from the same OCD that plagued games like Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and The Last Guardian, because they want to maintain their image of making the best and most beautiful games, without actually committing to any decisions. Would Pikmin 3 have been different if Miyamoto was told to make Pikmin 3 for the Wii and was given two years to do so, or if he decided to try and make the best Pikmin sequel he could? The latter might be a bit better, but it takes many years longer to make it that way.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Do what Sony did and give their American branch the ability to call the shots. Their biggest liability is that they still don't understand the west and treat it like a secondary market.

Exactly. Japan seems to be mobile game territory now, which Nintendo seems to have no interest to expand in, so if they want to make consoles then they should try to appeal to the regions where they're still the most popular.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 26, 2013

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

greatn posted:

The Wii U is far, far more powerful than any tablet on the market. Trying to adapt the hardware to a portable device would make a seriously compromised device. It's pretty low power for a console (~32W in use apparently) but that's in the range of a 15" laptop, not a tablet.

That loving Sned posted:

Western studios are able to make series like Mass Effect, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed at a much faster pace than Japanese studios

Nintendo simply don't have many studios. The ones they do they seem small. Gamefreak (2nd party but anyway) produces one of their biggest franchises and only has 85 employees. 343 industries has 340 employees for comparison. It might make game development cheaper, but it probably also makes it slower.

Maybe just different cultures of outsourcing or doing it all in-house, but there is a difference.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

That loving Sned posted:

Exactly. Japan seems to be mobile game territory now, which Nintendo seems to have no interest to expand in, so if they want to make consoles then they should try to appeal to the regions where they're still the most popular.

They are doing just fine with the handheld market in Japan though...

3DS eclipses Wii lifetime sales in Japan

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's definitely a different culture. When you look at the credits for the games you notice a lot of developers are at the extreme. They all either do the same job at the same company til they die, or they're literally all over the place. Like fighting game fans might prefer SNK or Capcom or vice versa but the same guy designed both Street Fighter and Art of Fighting and SNK published Capcom's first game (Vulgus). The monolithic Japanese companies of today, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, and SquareEnix all drastically restructured themselves in different ways over the past ten years to try to adapt and become more flexible with varying degrees of success.

But all of that involved them moving away from the Call of Duty model of gaming so I doubt you'll ever see something like that come out of Japan. I mean the closest thing Japanese gaming ever really had to that where you expected a yearly release was stuff like Giant Gram/Fire Pro and King of Fighters. Even something as dependable as Pokemon isn't released with the level of consistency that Call of Duty is, though I believe, also that Nintendo doesn't do quite as much licensing and selling of information as say Microsoft/Activision do in their CoD developing relationship. So they have to prioritize their release schedule very differently to maximize how hyped up people are (Grand Theft Auto V, as an example, wouldn't be as big a deal as it is if it was the fourth or fifth GTA game on one system).

Nintendo's biggest challenge with the Wii U is that unlike with Pokemon, the games they've put out on it so far aren't designed to force young kids to talk to each other about how they're doing in the game in order to get better at the game. This is why Pokemon will always be relevant. They did a brilliant thing with the Mii games and plaza on the 3DS because it works the same way where if you get into it, you're regularly taking out your 3DS and people are noticing another person using a 3DS all the time, but the Wii U stays under your tv and none of Nintendo's first party games let you play with people online === no one's talking about the games.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 26, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wish they would go back to making a kof game every year.

...or making kof games at all. I'm not gonna hold out hope.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Edmund Honda posted:

Nintendo simply don't have many studios. The ones they do they seem small. Gamefreak (2nd party but anyway) produces one of their biggest franchises and only has 85 employees. 343 industries has 340 employees for comparison. It might make game development cheaper, but it probably also makes it slower.

Maybe just different cultures of outsourcing or doing it all in-house, but there is a difference.

That's one of the major differences between Turn 10's Forza and Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo, as Forza is able to get bi-annual releases because they leave things like tire modelling to external companies. However, Polyphony seems to have learned to do the same, and is also outsourcing some of their simulation data for GT6.

I'm not convinced that the Japanese approach is always better, even if it did result in some fantastic games in the past. Nintendo just doesn't experiment with their games enough to make it worthwhile. Resident Evil 4 worked because it came after a series of similar, frustrating, and outdated games, and threw out many of the series staples to replace them with the best ideas they could come up with. They managed to make combat both scary and fun, removed tedious backtracking, and somehow made a limited inventory system incredibly satisfying. It's the sort of thing that the Zelda series is dying for, but is still constrained by the design established in the Nintendo 64 games. Why did Skyward Sword take so many years to make, when it was just Twilight Princess in a new coat of paint?

Nintendo really love to relish in their past, which is why Super Mario 3D Land was screaming "Remember Super Mario Bros. 3?", and New Super Mario Bros. U was doing the same for Super Mario World, but it means that neither of these games have any identity of their own. Nobody is going to say New Super Mario Bros. 2 was their favourite Mario game, because the only thing that sets it apart from the other three is that there are more coins than usual. Even Super Mario Land 2 feels like a more legitimate Mario game, since it's got the cool rabbit powerup, a giant Mario robot you explore, some levels set in outer space, and introduces the timeless character or Wario.

Super Mario Galaxy is great, but since it cost more to make, and doesn't sell as well as New Super Mario Bros., then gently caress it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jeffrey posted:

I wish they would go back to making a kof game every year.

...or making kof games at all. I'm not gonna hold out hope.

I'm almost glad they've stopped. KoF 13 has got to be one of the best fighting games of any kind ever made, I don't think they have the people there anymore to top it. Not even Capcom has talented fighting game designers anymore (though they did a great job of covering up that Street Fighter IV was made by the outside company DIMPs, makers of Rumble Fish/etc.).

Anyways I can understand gamers' frustration with Nintendo since they so mastered the handheld space, in that they mastered getting people to talk about their DS or have their DS out or be talking about Pokemon so that a handheld gaming item is "a Nintendo," they did it and own it. The good thing is that so few people are even aware the Wii U exists that they have an opportunity to sort of re-launch it this holiday and see what happens. It literally will be a repeat of the Wii also as it will be the last gen level "new" system going against Sony and Microsoft's new offerings. This is totally new territory for Nintendo which is exciting. Maybe like with the 3DS a price drop and more than one Mario game and a Zelda game being out at once will mean big sales, who knows.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fivegears4reverse posted:

And one of 80 million almost who own a PS3, where it's optional and was rarely, if ever enforced as opposed to being a thing that was always present and only further pisses off the kind of people that Nintendo was aiming the Wii U at.

It isn't the key to winning a console generation, but Nintendo kinda needs to not do things that make consumers who aren't diehard fans upset with/confused by them.

It's also optional on the 360, which sold just as much, although it was used more often there.

You have to be a diehard video game fan in general to be aware of region locking.

kimpira posted:

Sometimes countries that share the same dominant language are in different regions. Even for games in different languages, if language isn't significant or there's enough interest anyway, a lack of region-lock allows retailers to import titles at their discretion. This was the case at the Fry's Electronics in Austin. I remember seeing Ouendan and a few other Japanese titles for sale there in the mid-2000s.

Actually, Wikipedia says: "Following high import sales for Ouendan, Nintendo and iNiS developed Elite Beat Agents, released in North America in November 2006 and in Europe on May 2007."

So when it came to release a new handheld, Nintendo's infallible business strategists looked at that and said, "We must ensure something like this never happens again."

Region locking is especially braindead when applied to portable consoles, since it discourages game purchases while traveling. The money I might've spent on Wii or 3DS games went towards books and records instead. My brother bought a Wii game, but he had to use technology also useful to pirates in order to get his system to play it. Either way, it's a purchase-prevention mechanism, and that's the absolute last thing the Wii U needs.

And that Fry's store was extremely weird for prominently featuring import titles in the first place. I don't think Elite Beat Agents was ever a system seller, nor imported copies of the Japanese version for that matter.

And would you look at that, the DSi and 3DS didn't suffer any measurable harm from having region encoding. So yeah I don't think it really matters to the business side there?

You brought a Wii with you when traveling to another country that was so far away as to actually be another license region? That seems kinda weird frankly, and there's no real reason for them to support that. It's nice that most 360 games and nearly all PS3 games wouldn't be region affected but it's not exactly a dealbreaker. If you have to have region free as a selling point to get people buying your console I think you're already permanently hosed on that system.

Edmund Honda posted:

The Wii U is far, far more powerful than any tablet on the market. Trying to adapt the hardware to a portable device would make a seriously compromised device. It's pretty low power for a console (~32W in use apparently) but that's in the range of a 15" laptop, not a tablet.

Er, not particularly. It's about as powerful as the 360 and PS3, and most of the high end tablets out these days achieve similar performance, particularly in graphics processing, as those systems. The Wii U's particular design is power hungry and runs relatively hot for something that needs to dissipate heat in a tablet form factor but it's not because it's particularly powerful.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think he's using "powerful" quite literally.

Which tablet games are you taking about by the way, because I haven't seen anything on the level of 360/WiiU/PC games. The WiiU is in fact quite power efficient comparatively to PCs and last gen consoles, which is one reason for its expense.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Install Windows posted:

You brought a Wii with you when traveling to another country that was so far away as to actually be another license region? That seems kinda weird frankly, and there's no real reason for them to support that. It's nice that most 360 games and nearly all PS3 games wouldn't be region affected but it's not exactly a dealbreaker. If you have to have region free as a selling point to get people buying your console I think you're already permanently hosed on that system.
That's a myopic thing to say. You could say the same thing about features W, X, Y and Z, and eventually one of the missing features clicks and the consumer doesn't buy the console.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Er, not particularly. It's about as powerful as the 360 and PS3, and most of the high end tablets out these days achieve similar performance, particularly in graphics processing, as those systems. The Wii U's particular design is power hungry and runs relatively hot for something that needs to dissipate heat in a tablet form factor but it's not because it's particularly powerful.

I've got a Nexus 10 and GTA3 doesn't run completely smoothly on it maxed out, and that's an early PS2 game. Tablets aren't anywhere close to the 360/PS3's power, let alone the Wii U's.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Install Windows posted:

And would you look at that, the DSi and 3DS didn't suffer any measurable harm from having region encoding. So yeah I don't think it really matters to the business side there?

I'm not reading any of these arguments as an actual pro to having region locking. Just a bunch more "yeah well it's not that big a deal", but couldn't they just NOT include this anti-feature in the first place?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spiffo posted:

I'm not reading any of these arguments as an actual pro to having region locking. Just a bunch more "yeah well it's not that big a deal", but couldn't they just NOT include this anti-feature in the first place?

They could but since it impacts such a small segment of their business but can be very valuable/reassuring for licensing reasons for partners it makes sense why they'd choose to leave it in.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Install Windows posted:

You have to be a diehard video game fan in general to be aware of region locking.

Do you have any evidence or reasoning for this claim? All it takes to be aware of region locking is for your region not to see a release you want, or for your region to have much higher prices than you hear about overseas, and to discover that you can't just order the game or movie. That's not a high bar if you live in one of the many places that get screwed by it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

We live in a digital world where everything everywhere is available at your fingertips. Region locks are anachronistic and stupid.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Install Windows posted:

I just wanted to repeat what someone said earlier - it's a Big Deal in PAL regions. Like, I knew about it as a kid in the SNES-era, and knew exactly how much worse performing Secret of Mana was compared to NTSC/JAP versions. It's not a deal-breaker, because I'm used to it, but not having it would definately be a Good Thing, and might just tip the scale (if combined with a load of other things).

Here's an idea for selling WiiU's: Come up with some decent emulators, and bundle an absolute ton of old games with the system. Hell, if they could sort out online stuff, make it 'every old game they have license for'. It's a big move, but it'd make the console pretty drat attractive to a lot of people without really hurting profits too much.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

petrol blue posted:

I just wanted to repeat what someone said earlier - it's a Big Deal in PAL regions. Like, I knew about it as a kid in the SNES-era, and knew exactly how much worse performing Secret of Mana was compared to NTSC/JAP versions. It's not a deal-breaker, because I'm used to it, but not having it would definately be a Good Thing, and might just tip the scale (if combined with a load of other things).

It was a difference because Pal versions back then were total poo poo. With black borders on the top and bottom and running at 50hz.

The differences are minor now. And the games that don't get released in every region are most of the time small time releases.

Baron FU fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 26, 2013

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Install Windows posted:

We brought our portable consoles but not the Wii. It was a two week trip to the UK, so picking up Xenoblade Chronicles (before NOA finally decided to bring it out in the US) a couple of days before we returned wasn't exactly a zany thing to do. That said, I've seen people who regularly travel for business actually bring their home consoles along.

Your argument seems to be, "this is a thing that few people do therefore Nintendo shouldn't let them do it" when it actually takes more effort to region lock than not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

greatn posted:

I think he's using "powerful" quite literally.

Which tablet games are you taking about by the way, because I haven't seen anything on the level of 360/WiiU/PC games. The WiiU is in fact quite power efficient comparatively to PCs and last gen consoles, which is one reason for its expense.

You don't tend to get games actually using it on tablets because of the fact that it goes to waste, and also due to the fact that any given tablet has not had 7 years of intensive work done to optimize games for it. But the actual hardware you have inside them is more capable than any current gen consoles are. This is simply down to the fact that the current gen consoles are either 8 year old designs or new designs that happen to be on the same performance level as 8 year old consoles.

Dolphin posted:

That's a myopic thing to say. You could say the same thing about features W, X, Y and Z, and eventually one of the missing features clicks and the consumer doesn't buy the console.

It is exceedingly unlikely that region locking would be the deciding factor on buying the console, especially on things like the Wii U which have so many other problems. It's a concept that's, well, foreign to people who aren't really into games and wouldn't go beyond the local game store to buy games; and for "hardcore" gamers there's a whole bunch of other problems they have with it.

deadwing posted:

I've got a Nexus 10 and GTA3 doesn't run completely smoothly on it maxed out, and that's an early PS2 game. Tablets aren't anywhere close to the 360/PS3's power, let alone the Wii U's.

Your Nexus 10 also has a 2560×1600 screen that it's trying to put out to at max settings. You have to remember that almost all 360 and PS3 games only actually render at less than 1280x720, and even most Wii U games are only really rendering at 1280x720 before upscaling, and the Nexus 10 screen is at least 4.4 times the number of pixels then that.

And GTA 3 on the PS2 only had to worry about outputting at 640x480 at most while also having a fairly heavy amount of fog and all that.

petrol blue posted:

That's because the unmodified PAL SNES operated slower natively and all that stuff, so the games had to actually be programmed differently, though. Also releases to the PAL region back then were significantly smaller than they are these days.

Spiffo posted:

Well that's the thing, it's not a big deal and since they insist on the backwards compatibility stuff they already have a whole region lock detect thing for the Wii subsystem. By all appearances the Wii U region locks appear to operate exactly as the Wii's did, so it smacks of them being lazy and just doing the old thing.

Quest For Glory II posted:

We live in a digital world where everything everywhere is available at your fingertips. Region locks are anachronistic and stupid.

A digital world where everything is available certainly doesn't sound like any Nintendo online service I've ever used. Quite frankly, most of the stuff they did with the Wii U is "anachronistic and stupid" right down to continuing to use the same weird branch of PowerPC they've been on since the GameCube.

Peel posted:

Do you have any evidence or reasoning for this claim? All it takes to be aware of region locking is for your region not to see a release you want, or for your region to have much higher prices than you hear about overseas, and to discover that you can't just order the game or movie. That's not a high bar if you live in one of the many places that get screwed by it.

Yeah see and your average person won't be aware of what the releases are in other countries - remember people are barely aware that the Wii U itself or any of its games are even out, and that's in places where they have been released but just got minimal advertising!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Your Nexus 10 also has a 2560×1600 screen that it's trying to put out to at max settings. You have to remember that almost all 360 and PS3 games only actually render at less than 1280x720, and even most Wii U games are only really rendering at 1280x720 before upscaling, and the Nexus 10 screen is at least 4.4 times the number of pixels then that.

Even if I drop the resolution to 50% (1280x720), there's a noticeable performance hit over the game's default resolution of 640x480, and again, that's on a 12 year old game. Tablets may have a higher raw level of power than the 360/PS3, but their architecture isn't designed for gaming like the 360/PS3.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The 'average' gamer might not know or care about overseas titles, but some do, particularly outside of America, and region locking irritates them and builds ill-will.

Nintendo's archaic model irritates me and I don't own any current Nintendo hardware, nor do I do much importing or make much use of the online features on my PS3. Because I see it inconveniencing and irritating other people, and perpetuating a model that has burned me in the past by locking me out of games I want to play. And that makes me less likely to buy a Wii U in the future for the half-dozen or so Wii/Wii U games I actually want to play and will regret not owning the system for, which is already a marginal decision.

It doesn't have to be important to be a thing they would be better off not doing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The exact people who care most about region locking are the same people who are likely to be convertible (theoretically) into long-term loyal fans of a company, which is certainly an element you need to survive across multiple console generations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I love that the region locking in the N64 era was simply two plastic tabs. Using my Gameshark seemed to get around that just fine the one time I wanted a Japanese N64 game.

Spiffo posted:

Not that I agree with it, but since you asked... you have countries which ban certain types of content. I believe Germany bans violence with killing humans still. There area also situations where a different publisher will publish a game in another region because of a translation, and sales can be hurt if lots of people just imports it from another country before its release. There's probably some game rating compatibility issues with parental controls to, but I'm just guessing. And then the whole issue of hurting your countries local economy because you are not spending your money locally, which is pretty much on par with reasoning to buy local food.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Not that I agree with it, but since you asked...
1) you have countries which ban certain types of content. I believe Germany bans violence with killing humans still.
2) There area also situations where a different publisher will publish a game in another region because of a translation, and sales can be hurt if lots of people just imports it from another country before its release. There's probably some game rating compatibility issues with parental controls to, but I'm just guessing.
3) And then the whole issue of hurting your countries local economy because you are not spending your money locally, which is pretty much on par with reasoning to buy local food.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I don't see how this is the game company's problem. Except for the second thing, but import-sales are still sales.

The PS3 taught a lot about how much publishers care about importing. They all had the option of region-locking their games, and AFAIK nobody of them did except for one game (Persona 4 Arena).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Spiffo posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I don't see how this is the game company's problem. Except for the second thing, but import-sales are still sales.

The PS3 taught a lot about how much publishers care about importing. They all had the option of region-locking their games, and AFAIK nobody of them did except for one game (Persona 4 Arena).

P4A also came out like, a year later in Europe than everywhere else, and the game's community was pretty small by then. They really shot themselves in the foot and I'm sure it sold terribly for it.

I bought a DS Lite on a trip to Japan before they came out in the US, so I'm glad they didn't have region locking then. I probably would have pirated games if I couldn't buy them locally so it would have been their loss...

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Spiffo posted:

Everybody forgets about stranglehold.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Baron FU posted:

It was a difference because Pal versions back then were total poo poo. With black borders on the top and bottom and running at 50hz.

The differences are minor now. And the games that don't get released in every region are most of the time small time releases.

We also still get a lot of games much later than other regions. That was fine in the 90's, when all we had were gaming magazines and our friends, but we have the internet now. We can know that people are playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl months before we are, and what all the unlockable content is.

Spiffo posted:

Yeah, we would never have got Demon's Souls or Yakuza 3 if people hadn't imported them.

E: Actually, the same might go for Animal Crossing in Europe. It was a hell of a job convincing Nintendo to release it over here, since they would often close threads asking about it. They said it was due to the scope and cost of localisation, but that didn't stop later Animal Crossing games from being translated quickly enough for the European releases.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Which makes the realisation Pokémon X and Y are gonna be released with an international dateline, and with all languages available on a single cartridge, kinda intriguing. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the region is based off France, and clearly shows traits of european culture - as general as a concept that is - in the art design.

...Then again, Layton had London Life, and despite it being entirely translated into English, wasn't available to those in the UK.

Edit: And then Shibata specifically announced Layton vs Ace Attorney in a european Nintendo direct. For some reason I suspect even internal marketing gets screwy at Nintendo.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 26, 2013

• Locked thread