Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Niggurath posted:

I don't suck at it ;) but the game is also beyond dull to me for some reason. You'd think that 2-D pixel art Silent Hill would be fun but the game was a slog to me for some reason.
Yeahhh I agree. Besides the controls being quite a challenge to wrestle with (for me, at least), the game is also paced in a very slow, tedious way. I can't tell if it's an intentional choice made to remind you of old school survival horror games, or a symptom of trying to harken back to that in all other aspects of the game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The reason why I brought it up is because I just got the "Director's Cut" of Lone Survivor on the Vita and it controls a lot better with controller controls than a computer keyboard, for whatever reason. Also I can curl up in my bed with earphones in the deep of night to "enhance the experience." Too bad nobody has capture equipment for the Vita...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Speedball posted:

Too bad nobody has capture equipment for the Vita...

Fedule would probably disagree with you there. Also, Vita TV may or may not be coming overseas so that'll be an easy way to capture Vita games.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChaosArgate posted:

Fedule would probably disagree with you there. Also, Vita TV may or may not be coming overseas so that'll be an easy way to capture Vita games.

The Vita has a built-in screenshot tool that may or may not even work for every game because apparently some games put logos on the screenshots and it may not even be enabled for the game.

At least, that's my understanding. I don't actually own a Vita, but it's what I've heard from friends.

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
Just wanted to say that my KGB/Conspiracy LP is now up. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut came out on both PS3 and Vita, there shouldn't be any problem recording from PS3 and the Director's Cut (to my knowledge) is coming to PC so it's just a matter of time.

Businessman
Sep 25, 2013

Hi, I'm planning to do an VLP for the Adventure game thread, and I was hoping to get some feedback on the first video. I'm new to doing Let's Plays so any feedback would be pretty cool.

Episode 1:[YouTube]

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Businessman posted:

Hi, I'm planning to do an VLP for the Adventure game thread, and I was hoping to get some feedback on the first video. I'm new to doing Let's Plays so any feedback would be pretty cool.

Episode 1:[YouTube]

Your video quality is fine, but your commentary bothers me. A big part of this game is its sound and voice work, and the commentary doesn't improve on this. The game is funny enough without extra bad jokes.

If you insist on a voice-over, make sure it's tasteful and that you sound interested in the game and interesting to your audience. Otherwise I'd stick to text.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Fus Roh Wha? Let's blunder through Skyrim! (SSLP)

Let's Play Skyrim!
For those who live under a rock, Skyrim is the 5th installment of The Elder Scrolls. It follows in the wake of Bethesda's disappointment that is Oblivion (which a LP of is currently in the works by Lizard Wizard).

What makes this LP different then the others?
Quite frankly, I've never really delved into Skyrim, despite it's time out there. At the time we'll say my hardware wasn't up to snuff. So with a nice new computer, I've decided it's about time I play it. To call this a blind run would be a lie, especially with other Skyrim LPs out there. However, this is the first time I've really sat down to play this myself.

Another reason, I feel that TES games in general are akin to Dwarf Fortress. There's many different ways to play this game and many different outcomes, as well as many different things that can happen.

This will be a SSLP, because videos are somehow beyond me and from what I've seen of the game so far pictures will convey the story aptly enough.

100%? Main-story with some sides? What's the deal?
Not really 100% but I'd like to do as much as possible. From all the guilds, down to helping a little old lady cross the street. That being said, I will be using Fast Travel sparingly. I'll opt to walk/ride for a decent amount of time, until quest locations become too far apart. Because exploring is the best part of these games. So with the guiding hand of the thread, we'll explore bits and pieces of the world together!

:siren:Do not spoil anything for me or others, seriously. Don't. It'd be much appreciated:siren:
I expect discussion, as is appropriate with a forums. However, please keep it to gameplay mechanics, info about NPCs(as they come and go), etc. Please do not spoil the plot line of the main quest line or the endings to sidequests. Thanks in advance!

Chapters
Tutorial: Sandcastle Test Post!
Obviously, this is where I'll link to posts of updates.

Sandcastle: Just wanted some constructive criticism with my OP and first post. I'm pretty happy with it, but I feel the OP needs some sprucing up. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Second post would contain info on either important people we've met, or books we've found... or whatever pretty things.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 27, 2013

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
Is it okay to link to an abandonware site?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Stringbean posted:

100% completion (or close to it) and minimal fast travel? Do you have any idea how enormous Skyrim is?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Roar posted:

100% completion (or close to it) and minimal fast travel? Do you have any idea how enormous Skyrim is?

Edit: I reworded my op, which should clarify a bit more on Fast Travel. Didn't mean for it to sound like I wasn't going to use it at all. More importantly, this being a sslp I wouldn't be showing off every minute of my travel. Just the key components of quest received, quest, quest completion - and anything "interesting" along the way.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 27, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Roar posted:

Seriously. It's no simple 50-odd-hour romp. If you want to 100% this game you'll be spending hundreds of hours working on it, and that's with fast travel.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

red mammoth posted:

Is it okay to link to an abandonware site?
Honestly I would say no, mostly due to the fact that abandonware doesn't really exist. People throw the term around a lot for software they assume to be without a publisher or developer, but it's doubtful that many have contacted lawyers and rights holders to figure that all out. A good example that I can think of is with the recent kickstarter for Wasteland 2; people were wanting free copies of Wasteland 1, assuming that it must be 'abandonware' since it wasn't widely available and seemed old enough to fall through the cracks of ownership...but that wasn't the case and it was apparently still legally owned and illegal to distribute. So if you're wanting to link shareware versions or things that were originally free, then that's probably cool, but abandonware is too much of a grey area really.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Stringbean posted:

You will not finish this LP.

Ignoring the fact that most everyone here has already played Skyrim by this point, you're barely adding any commentary to the game (If your test post is supposed to be taken as an example). I think I counted 4 "quips" by you between transcribing the dialogue (Which, by the way, good luck trying to continue to do that poo poo once conversations start to last upwards of 5 to 10 minutes!), and none of it was particularly funny.

Even if I were looking for a Skyrim LP for whatever reason, your first post certainly doesn't do anything to hook me in. Never mind the facts that this game would clearly be done better justice as a video LP, or that you're doing it semi-blind (Which, by the way: Really bad idea): You're just not adding enough / funny enough to be worth reading.

Businessman
Sep 25, 2013

Phelddagrif posted:

Your video quality is fine, but your commentary bothers me. A big part of this game is its sound and voice work, and the commentary doesn't improve on this. The game is funny enough without extra bad jokes.

If you insist on a voice-over, make sure it's tasteful and that you sound interested in the game and interesting to your audience. Otherwise I'd stick to text.

Alright, I'll switch over to text for it. I have a question though, is it best to keep the text short and sweet for an LP?

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013
Joe Montana was a bust. Let's Play Football Mogul 2012!

OP

Test Update

Basically bringing this up one last time before I start the thread in a few days. Being my first LP, any feedback at all is appreciated.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Businessman posted:

Alright, I'll switch over to text for it. I have a question though, is it best to keep the text short and sweet for an LP?

Just speaking from my end, but it depends on the game. I did/am doing subs for one of my current lps and I average roughly 15 or 20 lines of subs in a 30 minute video. Mostly you want to be concise. Don't worry about being funny, since that's not really the place of subs if that's your commentary style.

Businessman
Sep 25, 2013
Alright, I uploaded a newer version of the LP with subtitles instead, it would be cool to get some critique.

Episode 1

I fixed some spelling errors.

Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 28, 2013

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of wonder, is there an edutainment LP megathread or something? I've been having a temporary moment of insanity and wanting to play games like Jump Start and Math Blaster. I probably won't end up LPing them (hell, the chances of even getting them running on my PC is a long shot), but they're really short and not worth their own thread so on the off chance I did I was wondering if there was a place for them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jsor posted:

Out of wonder, is there an edutainment LP megathread or something? I've been having a temporary moment of insanity and wanting to play games like Jump Start and Math Blaster. I probably won't end up LPing them (hell, the chances of even getting them running on my PC is a long shot), but they're really short and not worth their own thread so on the off chance I did I was wondering if there was a place for them.

I think maybe coinbox had a thread like that at one point? I don't believe it's around anymore though, no.

Pixle
Aug 15, 2004
Not quite sure I follow you there
I haven't done an LP in years, and since this one is with a friend (also a goon) I wanted to make sure we're doing this right.

Carl Jung, Nazis, Ancient Aliens and You - Let's Play Persona 2 Innocent Sin!
The Introduction Blurb
Chapter 1: They call me Tatsuya Suou

Pixle fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 28, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Pixle posted:

I haven't done an LP in years, and since this one is with a friend (also a goon) I wanted to make sure we're doing this right.

The Introduction Blurb

Granted, that image of the guy in sunglasses you posted isn't in context, but it still seems like a spoiler. Besides, showing it in the OP seems like it would detract from the reactions you'd normally get from the thread from people seeing it for the first time.

Other than that it looks mostly good. The dual commentary for the screenshots works pretty well, although it did seem to drop off after the midpoint of the update.

If you're going to use the "generic male" stick figure portrait for characters, you may as well splurge and get a "generic female" stick figure portrait for the generic female characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 28, 2013

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This isn't a criticism, just a question - am I the only one who wishes LPers would size up PSP screenshots? Pixel perfect is nice and all, but I always feel like I have to zoom in because the LP takes up about 10% of my monitor. (And surrounded by the white/grey background, I can't actually make out the dark images)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pixle posted:

The Introduction Blurb

This is really solid already, the only advice I can really say is that you should consider making some GIFs. You talk about how great the sprite work is at the end, so why not show it off?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this posted, I've heard a lot of good things about Innocent Sin's writing, but I just couldn't get past the slow and fairly boring battle system combined with the bad loading times.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Pixle posted:

The Introduction Blurb

It looks pretty good so far, but the portraits for the main characters look kinda small and have weird lighting. Has anyone been ripping the portraits anywhere?

Other than that small problem, I'm eagerly awaiting this LP, because I really like this game, warts and all. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

VagueRant posted:

This isn't a criticism, just a question - am I the only one who wishes LPers would size up PSP screenshots? Pixel perfect is nice and all, but I always feel like I have to zoom in because the LP takes up about 10% of my monitor. (And surrounded by the white/grey background, I can't actually make out the dark images)

Would sizing up PSP games make the images table breaking though?

Pixle
Aug 15, 2004
Not quite sure I follow you there

Booky posted:

It looks pretty good so far, but the portraits for the main characters look kinda small and have weird lighting. Has anyone been ripping the portraits anywhere?

Other than that small problem, I'm eagerly awaiting this LP, because I really like this game, warts and all. :allears:

Yeah, the lighting comes from my scans directly from the world book which has all the portraits. A lot of them are close to the seams and I don't want to ruin the book. If I do find a better rip I'll definitely switch them out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! As per suggested, we've adding both a male and female portraits, taken out the small intro spoiler, and added a few gifs. We should be posting this soon. As for making the images bigger, I did try it, but the resizing really didn't make them look good.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ChaosArgate posted:

Would sizing up PSP games make the images table breaking though?

Going double size would make them 960 x 544. Technically allowed, but a bit obnoxious if you ask me.

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
What's a good pace for updating. I posted about five updates in one day. Is that too much?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

red mammoth posted:

What's a good pace for updating. I posted about five updates in one day. Is that too much?

Yeah it is. You have to give people time to digest these things, otherwise if you overkill on content too fast then there's a danger you'll just put someone off your LP because of how much they'd have to watch to catch up. Take things slow and do like 2-3 updates a week or something if you want to do them frequently, but it all depends on your update size (bigger episodes should come less often for example).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

red mammoth posted:

Yes.

It depends on the length of an update, anything faster then daily is too much except for a CYOA adventure affair with very short updates. I'd only go with daily if you have fairly short updates, too. I aim for an update every fourth day, but my updates are fairly lengthy. (I'm thinking SSLP here, I don't have much experience with the video side of things.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

red mammoth posted:

Three times a week is a pretty good pace, although there are plenty of good LPs that go more slowly. Anything more than once a day is too much to keep up with.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

red mammoth posted:

"Whenever I get around to it" has worked out pretty well for me! Whether that's a month or a week between updates, I record when the mood strikes me / post episodes as soon as they're ready. Don't take schedules and regular updates too seriously. Don't take LP too seriously.

But yeah: 5 times a day might be a bit much. If you happen to have multiple episodes at the ready, spread them out over the course of days.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

red mammoth posted:

I really like three times a week updating, usually Monday-Wednesday-Friday. It gives everyone a chance to watch and discuss each update or catch up on the weekend in a couple hours at most. Five a day seems a bit excessive. Maybe cut down the number of updates and just make them longer?

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
Three times a week sounds good. Does that include bonus updates?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
As a reader, I think one a day is best. (Though obviously not feasible for most) I think part of the reason for The Dark Id's popularity is that checking those LPs became part of a daily internetting routine.

Explosionface posted:

Going double size would make them 960 x 544. Technically allowed, but a bit obnoxious if you ask me.
Ah, stupid widescreen. Oh well, I'd probably still prefer it, personally.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

red mammoth posted:

Three times a week sounds good. Does that include bonus updates?

It can if you want it to, I guess. If I ever had bonus content I just posted it whenever it was ready. Mind you, most of the Bonus content I created was due to games glitching out.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Can I get some opinions on the FOV for this? Particularly from people who get sick from narrow FOVs, since Dear Esther really doesn't tell you what the value is - I just had to guess at a normal size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQGp7FSImTA

You may want to watch the 1080p version, the 720p seems to be having a lot of issues currently and may not work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Can you not change the FOV to an exact number in the console?

• Locked thread