Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's so weird looking back at a Snow Leopard machine with the scrollbars all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

It's so weird looking back at a Snow Leopard machine with the scrollbars all the time.

Found an iBook with Tiger a couple of days back.

That brushed metal.

Amazing.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

QuarkJets posted:

I'm unable to download or install new things on this laptop, so I can't use iTerm 2. I just have to make do with the lovely native terminal and all of its bizarre defaults

Okay, even if you love disappearing scrollbars, how do you at least make them temporarily reappear? The only way that I could make them reappear was to click an entry and hit the down arrow until I forced the list to start scrolling. Now that I've discovered the stupid way, what's the actual way?

I'm guessing no USB drives is implied as well? Your hands are so tied. If that isn't an actual blocker, your options greatly expand.

If it's any help, you don't really need to install anything or put them into /Applications. You can leave iTerm 2 on the Desktop if need be. Application bundles in OS X are portable.

You'll might also need to download outside for other tools such as the Command Line Package from apple (so you can get GCC/Clang) though I'm not sure about that too. LLVM-GCC is what it comes with and that isn't fully compatible. I'm also semi sure that there are straight GNU GCC packages out there as well. All these packages will require Administrator privileges to install. Maybe you can extract the packages and relink them by hand in your home directory?

I'm not even going to suggest Homebrew because there's no network but you can probably take a look at the recipes for each package for guidance if you need to build something on OS X to run.

Developing stuff on a Mac without network or administrator privileges is trying to walk without legs. I am sorry to hear about that.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

door Door door posted:

Two finger scroll (put two fingers on the trackpad and move them up or down).

The scrollbars also appear if you put two fingers on the trackpad without moving them, which can be handy for checking progress through a document without actually moving it.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I updated to Mountain Lion recently, and it seems after I've done that ctrl+scroll = zoom in/out no longer works, and I can't find in Preferences where to turn it back on. Anyone know what's up?

JamesOff posted:

The scrollbars also appear if you put two fingers on the trackpad without moving them, which can be handy for checking progress through a document without actually moving it.

I love this. Thank you.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I updated to Mountain Lion recently, and it seems after I've done that ctrl+scroll = zoom in/out no longer works, and I can't find in Preferences where to turn it back on. Anyone know what's up?

I love this. Thank you.

I think it's under accessibility.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kingnothing posted:

Yep

edit: On that note, make sure anyone who uses that zooming turns off Synergy beforehand or fun times await you.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 25, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want to move to a faster / higher resolution machine from my 2010 13" MBP - it's got 8GB, 115GB SSD, 500GB optibay but the slowness is setting in dealing with virtual machines. To keep it on a budget I'm probably going to end up with a Thinkpad rather than a used 15" MBP/Retina or 13" Air, now the question is - are there any Linux or Windows office applications that can interface with my iCloud documents? I work off two machines and it would loving suck to not have iCloud.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The only way to interface with iCloud documents is currently beta.icloud.com. You can edit Pages, Numbers and Keynote documents but that's it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

I want to move to a faster / higher resolution machine from my 2010 13" MBP - it's got 8GB, 115GB SSD, 500GB optibay but the slowness is setting in dealing with virtual machines. To keep it on a budget I'm probably going to end up with a Thinkpad rather than a used 15" MBP/Retina or 13" Air, now the question is - are there any Linux or Windows office applications that can interface with my iCloud documents? I work off two machines and it would loving suck to not have iCloud.

C2D + VM's = puuukkee

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You could start saving your documents to some more universal cloud storage provider like Dropbox/Google Drive/Skydrive, I don't think you'll find anything supporting iCloud on other platforms.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess I can do that - I just love how seamless iCloud with Pages and Numbers is. Ah well.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

C2D + VM's = puuukkee

They're not that bad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

C2D + VM's = puuukkee

Have pity on us poors who can't afford to upgrade every time Intel makes a new chipset.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I remember the old days running virtual pc on an OS 9 PowerMac with 133Mhz CPU. At the time it was amazing!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Have pity on us poors who can't afford to upgrade every time Intel makes a new chipset.

It works fine - they just aren't as nice as a newer chip, and the C2D's are pretty old now.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

carry on then posted:

Yep

edit: On that note, make sure anyone who uses that zooming turns off Synergy beforehand or fun times await you.

Kingnothing posted:

Ahh.. I knew this. Thank you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bob Morales posted:

It works fine - they just aren't as nice as a newer chip, and the C2D's are pretty old now.

I'm just disappointed that the race for good graphics hasn't carried over to the Windows side of VMWare. I actually think Windows XP feels more responsive and smoother running under Parallels on my C2D than under VMWare Workstation on my Haswell i5 desktop.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Is there some way to get Gmail notifications appear in Notification Center, and have those notifications redirect to Gmail on the web? The alternatives don't work: Mail.app only syncs Gmail properly one-way, and Airmail crashes when I try to add my non-Gmail account.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

Is there some way to get Gmail notifications appear in Notification Center, and have those notifications redirect to Gmail on the web? The alternatives don't work: Mail.app only syncs Gmail properly one-way, and Airmail crashes when I try to add my non-Gmail account.

What's the default mail client not doing for ya? There is an official google gmail app as well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

door Door door posted:

Two finger scroll (put two fingers on the trackpad and move them up or down). The new default configuration is that moving your fingers up scrolls down and vice versa because Apple wants everything to be like an iDevice. If you want up to scroll up there's a setting under the trackpad pane in system prefs.

Ahh thank you, that's much better

crazysim posted:

I'm guessing no USB drives is implied as well? Your hands are so tied. If that isn't an actual blocker, your options greatly expand.

If it's any help, you don't really need to install anything or put them into /Applications. You can leave iTerm 2 on the Desktop if need be. Application bundles in OS X are portable.

You'll might also need to download outside for other tools such as the Command Line Package from apple (so you can get GCC/Clang) though I'm not sure about that too. LLVM-GCC is what it comes with and that isn't fully compatible. I'm also semi sure that there are straight GNU GCC packages out there as well. All these packages will require Administrator privileges to install. Maybe you can extract the packages and relink them by hand in your home directory?

I'm not even going to suggest Homebrew because there's no network but you can probably take a look at the recipes for each package for guidance if you need to build something on OS X to run.

Developing stuff on a Mac without network or administrator privileges is trying to walk without legs. I am sorry to hear about that.

Yeah, no USB drives. There's a local network, just no internet access. Some additional stuff has been pre-installed, but I haven't had time to really explore any of the extras. The laptop was provided as a "convenience" so that I wouldn't have to keep walking down the hall to a lab with some linux stations every time that I wanted to make a few changes to something. Once I actually get into a groove I'm sure that this will be nice, but so far it's been really rough going from RHEL to OSX

Bob Morales posted:

You can't change the defaults like I showed you? that will 'fix' pgup/pgdn

I can, I'm just venting frustration at having to modify settings that I think should have been defaulting to something else. I can't figure out a reason to not broadcast pageup/pagedown to open terminal programs, but at least it was relatively easy to change the behavior once someone told me what to do. I was always told that OSX is incredibly easy to use and user-friendly, so I was expecting a lot, but so far the Linux to OSX transition has been a lot more frustrating than the Windows to Linux. It's just a little disheartening is all. I'll get it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there a way to auto hide the menu bar? I'm looking for something that recreates what full screening an application does, i.e., when I hover my mouse cursor towards the top of the screen, then menu bar drops down. The only solution I came across was something called MenuAndDockless, but that autohides both the menu bar and the dock, and I have to set it per application. I just want to auto hide the menu bar to gain a bit more desktop space on my Air.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 26, 2013

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

QuarkJets posted:

I can, I'm just venting frustration at having to modify settings that I think should have been defaulting to something else. I can't figure out a reason to not broadcast pageup/pagedown to open terminal programs, but at least it was relatively easy to change the behavior once someone told me what to do. I was always told that OSX is incredibly easy to use and user-friendly, so I was expecting a lot, but so far the Linux to OSX transition has been a lot more frustrating than the Windows to Linux. It's just a little disheartening is all. I'll get it
For the most part, it is easy to use and intuitive...for normal users. It takes a bit more adjustment for us because the OS in general is targeted at consumers so everything's designed with normal people in mind rather than business users and developers.

The other thing that might be throwing you is that OS X is BSD at its core, meaning that it's not using the same versions of a lot of the software packages you're used to dealing with in Linux.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

QuarkJets posted:

You will, and it happens both ways. My personal computers are Macs, but I use RHEL at work, and having to use shift-PgUp/PgDn to scroll Linux terminals always bugs me.

I think the key is that I never do significant text editing in a terminal. I can see how you'd be in a world of hurt if you do, but when you're just using a shell that behavior is annoying. Sending cryptic escape sequences to your command line serves no useful purpose, while paging through the terminal's buffer does. This is probably why Apple made that choice -- they expect most users to use GUI apps to edit text. (Even hardcore vi users can do that with MacVim -- if they're allowed to download poo poo! That is going to be a huge annoyance for you.)

Also, the truly big advantage for OS X lies in other areas. Namely, the lack of driver or dependency hell. I have these disfiguring scars from trying to install decent X11 drivers on RHEL 5, and the less said about trying to install non-RPM programs on RHEL the better. :gonk:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mercurius posted:

For the most part, it is easy to use and intuitive...for normal users.

Yea, every now and then there's a rumor that Apple will hide the terminal.

The UNIX underpinnings of OS X have always been a little bit weird. They were a lot weirder in the PPC days if you came from Linux.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mercurius posted:

The other thing that might be throwing you is that OS X is BSD at its core, meaning that it's not using the same versions of a lot of the software packages you're used to dealing with in Linux.
It's actually Mach at its core. BSD is just the userland.

BobHoward posted:

You will, and it happens both ways. My personal computers are Macs, but I use RHEL at work, and having to use shift-PgUp/PgDn to scroll Linux terminals always bugs me.

I think the key is that I never do significant text editing in a terminal. I can see how you'd be in a world of hurt if you do, but when you're just using a shell that behavior is annoying. Sending cryptic escape sequences to your command line serves no useful purpose, while paging through the terminal's buffer does. This is probably why Apple made that choice -- they expect most users to use GUI apps to edit text. (Even hardcore vi users can do that with MacVim -- if they're allowed to download poo poo! That is going to be a huge annoyance for you.)

Also, the truly big advantage for OS X lies in other areas. Namely, the lack of driver or dependency hell. I have these disfiguring scars from trying to install decent X11 drivers on RHEL 5, and the less said about trying to install non-RPM programs on RHEL the better. :gonk:
As a "hardcore vi user", I would never use MacVim. The entire advantage of vim is that it comes with the operating system. The entire advantage to running a *nix (from my perspective) is that it's easy to get out to other systems via SSH and that everything behaves mostly the same from terminal to terminal once you get stty or whatever hosed thing that UNIX uses configured. OSX's idiotic PgUp/PgDn choices aren't any worse than anything else, but OSX already does enough "cryptic" things in the background that doing one more in order to make PgUp/PgDn behave the same way they do in Solaris, AIX, and Linux wouldn't be the end of the world. PgUp/PgDn even operate the same way you expect it to when using GUI apps to edit text on Linux. Imagine!

OSX doesn't have driver dependency hell because it doesn't have drivers to speak of. Ask anyone who tried to use a 10.4.2 disk to install on a newer system, anyone running Haswell on a Hackintosh now, etc. It works or it doesn't work, there is no try.

You don't need "non-RPM programs" to get "decent X11 drivers" on RHEL5. AMD, nVidia, Intel, S3, and everyone else publishes RPMs. RHEL keeps the kernel ABI the same the whole way through, so it's really easy (complaints about getting nVidia binary blobs working on nightly versions of X.org on Fedora/Gentoo/whatever are relevant, just that RHEL isn't).

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, every now and then there's a rumor that Apple will hide the terminal.

The UNIX underpinnings of OS X have always been a little bit weird. They were a lot weirder in the PPC days if you came from Linux.
Every proprietary UNIX has its own weird poo poo, including NeXT, and Apple dragged the (awful) NetInfo poo poo from NeXT into OSX.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any reason I would be unable to hide a software update in the MAS? I want to ignore the latest Xcode update, but I don't have the option to anywhere. I expanded the "More.." section, right clicked everywhere over the update but no option to hide it.

I'm still on 10.8.3 because I'm on a hackintosh and basically just waiting it out for 10.9, but the new Xcode requires 10.8.4+. I was able to hide the OSX update but can't hide the Xcode update for some reason :confused:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

evol262 posted:

As a "hardcore vi user", I would never use MacVim. The entire advantage of vim is that it comes with the operating system. The entire advantage to running a *nix (from my perspective) is that it's easy to get out to other systems via SSH and that everything behaves mostly the same from terminal to terminal once you get stty or whatever hosed thing that UNIX uses configured. OSX's idiotic PgUp/PgDn choices aren't any worse than anything else, but OSX already does enough "cryptic" things in the background that doing one more in order to make PgUp/PgDn behave the same way they do in Solaris, AIX, and Linux wouldn't be the end of the world. PgUp/PgDn even operate the same way you expect it to when using GUI apps to edit text on Linux. Imagine!

OSX doesn't have driver dependency hell because it doesn't have drivers to speak of. Ask anyone who tried to use a 10.4.2 disk to install on a newer system, anyone running Haswell on a Hackintosh now, etc. It works or it doesn't work, there is no try.

You don't need "non-RPM programs" to get "decent X11 drivers" on RHEL5. AMD, nVidia, Intel, S3, and everyone else publishes RPMs. RHEL keeps the kernel ABI the same the whole way through, so it's really easy (complaints about getting nVidia binary blobs working on nightly versions of X.org on Fedora/Gentoo/whatever are relevant, just that RHEL isn't).

Yeah, and I think that being based on UNIX is what made these differences so jarring. Imagine my surprise when all of the UNIX features and settings that I was expecting were actually completely different

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

evol262 posted:

Poor choice of words on my part, I wasn't referring to the literal kernel core, just that the OS is UNIX rather than linux.

Edit:

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, and I think that being based on UNIX is what made these differences so jarring. Imagine my surprise when all of the UNIX features and settings that I was expecting were actually completely different
I dunno if you've ever used FreeBSD or anything similar but you'd find a lot of the binaries you're used to from Linux distros either aren't there at all or are the BSD versions of the apps and features are either different or missing. OS X is a lot more like the various BSD based distros in terms of UNIX binaries than Linux and tends to be missing the same stuff.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 27, 2013

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

evol262 posted:

Not true - the OS X kernel is half BSD, half Mach (and another half IOKit). Most of the unixy stuff like POSIX calls, files, and networking are derived from the FreeBSD kernel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

evol262 posted:

As a "hardcore vi user", I would never use MacVim. The entire advantage of vim is that it comes with the operating system. The entire advantage to running a *nix (from my perspective) is that it's easy to get out to other systems via SSH and that everything behaves mostly the same from terminal to terminal once you get stty or whatever hosed thing that UNIX uses configured.

Different strokes I guess. That comment was based on a friend of mine who is a certified Linux and Vim fiend, and who was also a certified Apple hater right up until he bought an iPhone, which we all gave him crap for. :haw: Then a couple years later he followed the iPhone up with a MBP because it was in his opinion the best Sandy Bridge laptop hardware... and he proceeded to not install Linux on it, which (predictably) we all gave him crap for. He uses MacVim.

quote:

OSX doesn't have driver dependency hell because it doesn't have drivers to speak of.

It certainly does have drivers, but I understand what you're saying -- most people never need anything but the drivers Apple distributes with the OS to cover their own hardware. The thing is, the infrastructure is there. There is a stable driver API and even a stable driver ABI. Third parties can (and do) distribute OS X kernel extensions which don't break when Apple sneezes. Apple isn't as good about driver API/ABI stability as Microsoft, but they're both way better than Linux.

That's no accident either. It's a conscious policy decision by several core Linux kernel developers, including Linus Torvalds. They have their reasons, and I understand them, but it does cause usability issues all the same. Like this:

quote:

Er, they don't all publish RPMs. From very recent experience, I know for a fact that NVidia distributes self-extracting archives which, when you run them, literally compile a shim kernel module to interface the Linux kernel to the NVidia binary driver blob, also contained and installed by the self-extracting archive. And I also know that when this house-of-cards "install" process goes wrong it can be insanely frustrating to get working. (Thankfully, NVidia does at least make sure that failures are graceful -- all that happens is that you don't get your drivers installed.)

Also, I didn't write that totally clearly. The RPM comment was about application software, not drivers. Not even all open source applications have been packaged as RPM, and even when they have they may not have been packaged for the specific RHEL I'm using. Sometimes installing a non-native RPM works. Other times I end up needing to install a non-native SRPM and hack on the source and/or build scripts till it builds something which does work. This is not fun.

quote:

Every proprietary UNIX has its own weird poo poo, including NeXT, and Apple dragged the (awful) NetInfo poo poo from NeXT into OSX.

It's gone now, fyi. They added LDAP, migrated things to it over one or two OS X releases, and finally removed NetInfo in 10.5.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

chimz posted:

Not true - the OS X kernel is half BSD, half Mach (and another half IOKit). Most of the unixy stuff like POSIX calls, files, and networking are derived from the FreeBSD kernel.

The NeXT kernel was BSD 4.3-derived, so keeping BSD semantics is natural. They synced up again (with FBSD 5.2) around Panther, but calling it FreeBSD-derived does a disservice to the XNU kernel devs. Pedantic.

BobHoward posted:

Different strokes I guess. That comment was based on a friend of mine who is a certified Linux and Vim fiend, and who was also a certified Apple hater right up until he bought an iPhone, which we all gave him crap for. :haw: Then a couple years later he followed the iPhone up with a MBP because it was in his opinion the best Sandy Bridge laptop hardware... and he proceeded to not install Linux on it, which (predictably) we all gave him crap for. He uses MacVim.
I think the iPhone is a steaming pile, but I'm a Linux guy, and a software dev for Redhat. I used a MBP with Linux on it. Now it's a Haswell MBA. The hardware is undeniably top-notch. And I like OSX (mostly). MacVim is fine if you're a "certified Linux and vim fiend". MacVim is not fine if you're a systems administrator or someone who spends most of their time remoted out to other servers which have plain-Jane vim over SSH and Terminal.app behaves like poo poo. Yes, I could use MacVim and edit files remotely, but then why am I not just using a tricked-out emacs setup?

BobHoward posted:

It certainly does have drivers, but I understand what you're saying -- most people never need anything but the drivers Apple distributes with the OS to cover their own hardware. The thing is, the infrastructure is there. There is a stable driver API and even a stable driver ABI. Third parties can (and do) distribute OS X kernel extensions which don't break when Apple sneezes. Apple isn't as good about driver API/ABI stability as Microsoft, but they're both way better than Linux.
RHEL has ten year ABI stability, guaranteed. Targeting the latest version from kernel.org, Fedora, or whatever will give you problems. And there's always a shakeup when there's a major X.org release. But Apple releases new versions of OSX (with changed kernel ABIs) more often than X.org makes releases. And other than Broadcom (ndiswrapper no longer required, kmod-wl is reasonable good), nVidia (always a steaming pile, but nouveau is good enough that 99% of users never need nv), and fglrx (AMD also a steaming pile, but AMD devs actively contribute to radeonhd), it's good. Even for those three, Linux in 2013 "just works" out of the box, with accelerated graphics, on the vast majority of consumer hardware.

BobHoward posted:

That's no accident either. It's a conscious policy decision by several core Linux kernel developers, including Linus Torvalds. They have their reasons, and I understand them, but it does cause usability issues all the same. Like this:
Keeping the kernel from stagnating in order to cater to hardware vendors is a conscious policy, yes. But kernel ABI changes are publicized months in advance on kernel-devel. It's not a good excuse for hardware companies to fall flat (X.org is another story). Again, though, you don't get those problems with RHEL or SLES.

BobHoward posted:

Er, they don't all publish RPMs. From very recent experience, I know for a fact that NVidia distributes self-extracting archives which, when you run them, literally compile a shim kernel module to interface the Linux kernel to the NVidia binary driver blob, also contained and installed by the self-extracting archive. And I also know that when this house-of-cards "install" process goes wrong it can be insanely frustrating to get working. (Thankfully, NVidia does at least make sure that failures are graceful -- all that happens is that you don't get your drivers installed.)
nVidia's "house-of-cards" install is much better than it used to be (and "compile a shim which loads the binary blob" is de rigeur for fglrx and nvidia). nVidia's shim actually blindly attempts to compile their GLX libs against your kernel headers and X.org headers, then removes your existing version of Mesa and puts their own libgl in place. This is actually the same thing it does on Windows as well. It doesn't need to do it on OSX because OSX is a very controlled environment.

If you believe XNU is stable, please go read the Darwin mailing lists and look at their superb hardware compatibility. Apple has consciously decided to support a limited subset of hardware, and support it very well. That's fine, and it's a good business decision for them. You can't pretend that OSX has good driver support, though.

Moreover, when I say "they publish RPMs", I mean that the package maintainers in ELrepo and RPMfusion are nVidia employees, and that you can "yum -y install xorg-x11-nvidia" to get working drivers on any system which needs them and has ELrepo (for EL-distros) or RPMfusion (better) enabled, which almost every RPM-based system does. nVidia publishes a shlex because they don't have any idea what system you'll be trying to install on. Linux has very fragmented package management across distros. If you're on an RPM-based distro, you should be using RPMfusion, and installing prebuilt nVidia binary drivers, enabling them, and getting everything working is "yum -y install xorg-x11-nvidia && reboot". That's it.

BobHoward posted:

Also, I didn't write that totally clearly. The RPM comment was about application software, not drivers. Not even all open source applications have been packaged as RPM, and even when they have they may not have been packaged for the specific RHEL I'm using. Sometimes installing a non-native RPM works. Other times I end up needing to install a non-native SRPM and hack on the source and/or build scripts till it builds something which does work. This is not fun.
I can't pretend that every application has been packaged as an RPM. Or a Deb. Or in Arch's AUR. Or Portage. Or anywhere other than github/whatever. Linux can do the OSX "shove every library it needs into a directory and run everything with terrible LD_LIBRARY_PATH" thing, but it's not very popular for obvious reasons.

BobHoward posted:

It's gone now, fyi. They added LDAP, migrated things to it over one or two OS X releases, and finally removed NetInfo in 10.5.
This was more of a "UNIX legacy" comment than an assertion that NetInfo was still present. I'm a daily OSX user.

QuarkJets posted:

Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, FreeBSD, and Tru64 have wildly differing feature sets and settings. UNIX is a different beast. Linux is not UNIX.

Mercurius posted:

I dunno if you've ever used FreeBSD or anything similar but you'd find a lot of the binaries you're used to from Linux distros either aren't there at all or are the BSD versions of the apps and features are either different or missing. OS X is a lot more like the various BSD based distros in terms of UNIX binaries than Linux and tends to be missing the same stuff.
OSX has a BSD userland with BSD coreutils, principally because of the GPL. It's not actually that different, just different flags, and you need to read the manpages. It's a certified UNIX and complies with the Single Unix Specification, so any binary you're "used to" that's part of the Single Unix Spec (sed, awk, vi, coreutils, etc) will be there. Everything else is a crapshoot on CentOS minimal vs. Gentoo Stage3 images vs. whatever.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

When running multiple apps in fullscreen mode there's no way to lock the order of them, is there? I usually have chrome, my mail client, itunes, and a word processor or something running at one time. I like having my mail client first and itunes all the way to the right, but anytime an action shifts focus between apps e.g. I click a link in and email, which opens in chrome, the new app jumps all the way to the left. I'd really like to be able to lock them in place because then I can just switch between apps based on their position and not have to look and see which is which.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not to my knowledge. This drives me batty too, as I'm a creature of habit and I like having all my apps in the right order.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

door Door door posted:

When running multiple apps in fullscreen mode there's no way to lock the order of them, is there? I usually have chrome, my mail client, itunes, and a word processor or something running at one time. I like having my mail client first and itunes all the way to the right, but anytime an action shifts focus between apps e.g. I click a link in and email, which opens in chrome, the new app jumps all the way to the left. I'd really like to be able to lock them in place because then I can just switch between apps based on their position and not have to look and see which is which.

System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Supgaiz posted:

System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use

You are a saint. Hello always-space-#2 iTunes!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Spaces is the best part of OSX in my humble goonish opinion, it's so far beyond anything Windows can do.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Speaking of, when I'm looking at a space with no terminals open and click the terminal in the dock, I can have it either take me back to a space with a running terminal or just activate the app, but I can't make it open a new terminal window as if none were running at all?

Edit: 2D spaces would be pretty great, I tend to have a lot of them open and just extending off to the right forever isn't really what I want.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 28, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spaces could be a little better though. I just want to be able to say "itunes is always the right-most space, mail is always to the left of iTunes, Reeder is always to the left of Mail.

Like, micromanage what opens where.

And the nerd in me wants 2D spaces. a 2x2 grid. But that would be a nightmare for most people.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Spaces could be a little better though. I just want to be able to say "itunes is always the right-most space, mail is always to the left of iTunes, Reeder is always to the left of Mail.

Like, micromanage what opens where.

And the nerd in me wants 2D spaces. a 2x2 grid. But that would be a nightmare for most people.

Can't you do that by click holding their icon in the dock and going to Options, Assign to? I might be misunderstanding.