Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

QPZIL posted:

It really impressed me when a question just makes so little sense that it leaves me speechless.

"Hey yeah, QPZIL, my name is John User and I work at the Suchandsuch Recreation Center front desk right now. I feel like the next logical step career wise would be to get a job as a programmer - someone told me I should look into Microsoft Outlook, could you give me some advice?"

:geno:

Oh, I think I met John User. He applied for a job at my company. Or maybe it was 1000 contracts exactly like him, that I had to interview despite them being blatantly unqualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Yeah this is hilarious until you had a couple too many cups of coffee or sodas in a day, and fail due to your sample being too watered down - which is an instant positive since people who do drugs tend to think they can ingest other poo poo to dilute their samples and come out clean.. :woop:

I get really bad headaches if I get even slightly dehydrated so as a result I drink a lot of water. I'm always paranoid I'm going to fail one of those test for the reason you mentioned. Fortunately I've only ever had piss tests prior to employment and I knew at least a few days ahead of time that one would be coming up so I could cut back on my hydration for a bit.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Anyone have experience with printers reporting by an account code?
What I am being asked is to setup some HP printers to be able to prompt for a code (contract, account, etc.) and report the number of %supply% used for it. I know mid - upper tier Xeroxes have this but my client has HPs. I'm looking at the HP WebJet Admin thing and can't find anything relating to that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
EDIT: Never mind, talking out my rear end.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I still don't see why printers don't come with a 128mb flash drive that hosts the base drivers for xp/win7/osx

come the gently caress on.

The reason they have hesitated on doing this is because it is a great way to spread malware.
Plug printer in, get UAC prompt, say yes allow because naturally I want to install the drivers embedded in my printer. Bam welcome to the botnet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

feld posted:

I take this is some sort of sarcasm? Or are you completely unaware that having your NS split between multiple providers is key to surviving DNS DDoS?

They should have more than two NS though, but if they're both anycast then it's OK.

That's ANY. So no.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Anyone have experience with printers reporting by an account code?
What I am being asked is to setup some HP printers to be able to prompt for a code (contract, account, etc.) and report the number of %supply% used for it. I know mid - upper tier Xeroxes have this but my client has HPs. I'm looking at the HP WebJet Admin thing and can't find anything relating to that.

I have no experience with this but I think papercut will do it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm still in a lot of catch-up mode and just saw this about the 13-hour asplosion...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Not being compensated for after-hours maintenance is most certainly not part of being a sysadmin.

None of my salaried jobs that required after-hours rotation, maintenance, or anything done outside of 40 hours a week ever really gave comp time, even for Saturdays. My last job, I was at an MSP in NYC and volunteers were sought to do a move at a client in CT. We got onsite at 2 PM, work started at 5 PM, and we were done at 1 AM. All mass transit back to NYC was done for the day at that hour so my boss drove me into Manhattan, dropped me off by a taxi stand, and I expensed the cab fare back to central NJ. I got home at about 3:30 AM Saturday morning.

I asked if OT/comp was going to happen and told it wasn't.

At my current job, I've done a couple of all-day Saturdays with more than adequate notice. No comp given, when asked for I was told it was expected that we'd be doing this without any kind of comp.

Our desktop support guys put in OT all the time and they're hourly, so they at least get paid so long as the OT's approved.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: is it hard to have the Canadian armed forces annex the NY/NJ metro area, declare it a province, and have us subject to Canadian labor laws? I would kill for fairer treatment as a salaried worker, as I'm sure most other places are... and if the Mounties can't invade, then at least now as I YOTJ I can say "so for the on-call rotation and non-critical scheduled after-hours... what do you do to comp?"

This should be a YOTJ staple, or a megathread/job hunt awareness thread for SH/SC.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm in the US, as an MSP consultant billable overtime for a client has always resulted in extra money. I can't imagine it being any other way, the MSP is billing extra, not paying that to the consultant doing the work would cause retention problems. All of our routine monthly updates, downtime, migrations etc, result in OT paid to employees (who are on a base salary, not hourly)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: is it hard to have the Canadian armed forces annex the NY/NJ metro area, declare it a province, and have us subject to Canadian labor laws? I would kill for fairer treatment as a salaried worker, as I'm sure most other places are... and if the Mounties can't invade, then at least now as I YOTJ I can say "so for the on-call rotation and non-critical scheduled after-hours... what do you do to comp?"

This should be a YOTJ staple, or a megathread/job hunt awareness thread for SH/SC.

Legally, IT professionals are exempt from most labour law requirements in Ontario:

That said, when HR tried to get me to work unpaid overtime and to not take lunch, I told them how much they would have to raise my salary by to make that happen. My boss supported me, shrugged and told them that if they did that I would probably quit.

This has everything to do with managing expectations and making sure that you don't act like a doormat when you're providing a super valuable service in an industry that has trouble finding people that are not useless. This is also WAY easier to do if you're not entry-level helpdesk.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If the IT world is filled with one thing it is low level doormats

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Well, today is off to an amusing start.

A ticket came in... Guy needs help deleting a friendly URL. Please call. Okay, this is easy enough.

Call him... wait through the slow rear end phone tree to get to the extension part.
Hmm, extension is not valid.
Try again, this time try the lookup by name option.
Hmm, name is not valid.
Try again, hit buttons like an ape to get to an operator.

Turns out the guy hasn't worked there for a few weeks. So did the person who created this case get the name wrong, the organization wrong, or is someone trying to gently caress with a former employer? We shall see, I guess...

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Our email domain was blacklisted for the second time in a year. Was able to track it down to a computer shared by several cops.

I'm also fairly certain that it was a result of me disabling the spam filter a week or two ago because the mayor couldn't get an email to the PD, because he was blacklisted. Or all of sbcglobal.net was. Or something.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Not me specifically, but hoo boy I bet a shitload of tickets are being generated at LA County right now. (If you've read the news reports, it's not "hacking", it something Apple have deliberately allowed since they added enterprise support to iOS, and apparently Apple have claimed somewhere that it's fixed in iOS 7 which is a complete lie)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MJP posted:

I'm still in a lot of catch-up mode and just saw this about the 13-hour asplosion...

None of my salaried jobs that required after-hours rotation, maintenance, or anything done outside of 40 hours a week ever really gave comp time, even for Saturdays. My last job, I was at an MSP in NYC and volunteers were sought to do a move at a client in CT. We got onsite at 2 PM, work started at 5 PM, and we were done at 1 AM. All mass transit back to NYC was done for the day at that hour so my boss drove me into Manhattan, dropped me off by a taxi stand, and I expensed the cab fare back to central NJ. I got home at about 3:30 AM Saturday morning.

I asked if OT/comp was going to happen and told it wasn't.

At my current job, I've done a couple of all-day Saturdays with more than adequate notice. No comp given, when asked for I was told it was expected that we'd be doing this without any kind of comp.

Our desktop support guys put in OT all the time and they're hourly, so they at least get paid so long as the OT's approved.

Fun fact: hourly computer employees can also be exempt if they make ~$27/hr.

The fact that you're not given comp is part and parcel of being a salaried employee. So is telling your boss that you're not coming in because you got called at 1AM and you worked until 3. And he legally must pay you for the entire day (you can't deduct partial-day absences from exempt employees). Obviously this may not be a great thing for your relationship with your boss, but it's legally kosher. Being exempt does actually offer you some advantages. It's not all sour milk.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ookiimarukochan posted:

Not me specifically, but hoo boy I bet a shitload of tickets are being generated at LA County right now. (If you've read the news reports, it's not "hacking", it something Apple have deliberately allowed since they added enterprise support to iOS, and apparently Apple have claimed somewhere that it's fixed in iOS 7 which is a complete lie)

No idea what this is about. Have any links?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ookiimarukochan posted:

Got a link or anything for those of us with no idea that you're talking about?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

ookiimarukochan posted:

got a bit more for us to go on here?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Students hacked the iPads to get on the internet.

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/23527759/student-hacking-suspends-lausd-ipad-program

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"hacked"

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

This is a bit off-topic but:

MyFoxLa.com posted:

so they can Facebook

No. 'Facebook' is not a verb. For gently caress's sake, you literally need one more word in there to prevent that from looking retarded. Why not 'use', it's only another 4 characters including the space.

Goddamnit local news is lazy.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

rolleyes posted:

No. 'Facebook' is not a verb. For gently caress's sake, you literally need one more word in there to prevent that from looking retarded. Why not 'use', it's only another 4 characters including the space.

I'm sure you never google something.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

rolleyes posted:

Language is usage.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
^^^
True, but that requires it to catch on first and thankfully this hasn't so far, apart from among the lazy. See below for why it's stupid.

Taeke posted:

I'm sure you never google something.

I will admit to that sin on occasion (although I try not to do it) but I'm now also going to point out why people who bust out this argument to be all :smug: are also being daft.

"Google" gets used as a verb because the general population (or at least the technically literate) have come to the group decision that it has a specific meaning ("to google" something is to use a search engine to look for something on the internet). It's also used as generic term for conducting a search using any search engine, not just Google. This is why, as much as Google hates the idea because it threatens their trademark, the use of Google as a verb has some rationale behind it - it communicates meaning of a specific action.

What, exactly, does "to facebook" mean? To post inane poo poo about your day? To upload photos of your cat/dinner/baby? To cyber-stalk someone? To start a group to troll someone? To use the chat feature with someone? To ask a question? To... well, you get the idea.

It's not useful, it's not specific, it's certainly not generic mainly because of the first two things it's not, and it doesn't communicate any real meaning. You might as well say "to internet".

And that, my friend, is why it sounds retarded.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 26, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

rolleyes posted:

you literally need one more word in there to prevent that from looking retarded. Why not 'use', it's only another 4 characters including the space.

Surf would prevent it from looking retarded but will make it sound retarded. Is that one finally going away?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 26, 2013

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

https://www.google.com/search?q=facebook+as+a+verb&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1981/is-facebook-as-a-verb-different-from-google-or-photoshop

Even three years ago, it was being considered for inclusion. Don't be surprised if it does eventually get added. You may think it's stupid and never hear it, but you may not be part of the majority.

This same thing happens every time some (fresh-out-of-)college student realizes a new word goes against what he was taught in English 101. Language evolves, you can't stop it, don't bother trying.

I mean, at least it's not 'literally'.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rolleyes posted:

^^^
True, but that requires it to catch on first and thankfully this hasn't so far, apart from among the lazy. See below for why it's stupid.

I will admit to that sin on occasion (although I try not to do it) but I'm now also going to point out why people who bust out this argument to be all :smug: are also being daft.

"Google" gets used as a verb because the general population (or at least the technically literate) have come to the group decision that it has a specific meaning ("to google" something is to use a search engine to look for something on the internet). It's also used as generic term for conducting a search using any search engine, not just Google. This is why, as much as Google hates the idea because it threatens their trademark, the use of Google as a verb has some rationale behind it - it communicates meaning of a specific action.

What, exactly, does "to facebook" mean? To post inane poo poo about your day? To upload photos of your cat/dinner/baby? To cyber-stalk someone? To start a group to troll someone? To use the chat feature with someone? To ask a question? To... well, you get the idea.

It's not useful, it's not specific, it's certainly not generic mainly because of the first two things it's not, and it doesn't communicate any real meaning. You might as well say "to internet".

"To Facebook" has the exact same meaning as "To use Facebook."

E: If you're gonna be a crabby old man about language, be crabby about lend vs borrow.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

rolleyes posted:

^^^

What rock do you live under that "Facebook" as a verb hasn't caught on? Also, I'd argue that the requirement of catching on is irrelevant. Language is communication via expressing thoughts in spoken words. It's a living thing that changes as time goes on. We literally have the phrase "to coin the phrase" for this very purpose. Who cares if it doesn't catch on? You expressed the thought.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

rolleyes posted:

^^^

It's not useful, it's not specific, and it's certainly not generic mainly because of the first two things it's not, and it doesn't communicate any real meaning. You might as well say "to internet".

That's kinda splitting hairs. To facebook is to post and or browse a social networking site. In this case, Facebook. Yes, you can post pics or just bitch about something, but either way, it's still posting.

Similarly, in addition to searching for a website/problem/name of the hot new actress/etc. you can also use it as a calculator or map something. Here again, you could argue that these both fall under the search catagory.

And that is why, while both retarded, they are commonly used as verbs.

***edit***
gently caress, beaten by miles. Too slow of a typist, I guess.

I wonder if he's heard people say to "YouTube" something?
Person 1: Hey, how do I *perform task*?
Person 2: Hmm... I dunno, YouTube it. I'm sure there's a step by step video out there.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 26, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

TWBalls posted:

Person 2: Hmm... I dunno, YouTube it. I'm sure there's a step by step video out there.

I've heard this. I've also heard "Yelp it". It's like the kleenex or bandaid phenomenon. A product name can more accurately describe the item than the technical term.

When I was in high school, we would yell "Cobain" to indicate that we wanted to sit in the passenger seat of a friend's car.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
They deleted the root MDM profile - something that Apple blocks MDM vendors from preventing, haha. I'm aware of the vendor involved in the clusterfuck, but given that it's not public knowledge and for a few other reasons I don't want to get into the any blaming. We've been expecting something like this to happen sooner rather than later as Apple's enterprise features (and the way they are implemented by literally everyone but us and Good - whose answer is still pretty flawed) require you to actually trust the phone user almost completely.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Seems like a good place to share this:

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/the-it-crowd-will-return-for-one-off-final-episode/320925

IT Crowd's long-awaited finale airs tomorrow.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

TWBalls posted:

My friends and I say that all the time. Making verbs out of a noun isn't anything new, Shakespeare is famous for it, and complaining about it (unless it's something really stupid, or worse, confusing) makes you sound either like an old man or a pedantic whiner. Just because you don't belong to a group that does it doesn't make wrong, much in the same way your parents and teachers had the same quibbles about your own language use when you were younger.

In short:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

When I was in high school, we would yell "Cobain" to indicate that we wanted to sit in the passenger seat of a friend's car.

Haha, I'd never heard that one before. I'll have to use that the next time I'm a passenger.

To contribute:
Oh, boy! Another paged out ticket that has incorrect call back info. When I finally get the correct info and get ahold of the end user, they keep giving me the deep sigh when I ask them to test something. Look, rear end in a top hat, I'm fixing the issue for you so that you can do your work. You know, the one that is apparently so important that you had me paged early this morning waking me up? The least you can do is double click the icon, type in your credentials and see if the error message pops up or if it's finally letting you in now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Maybe we shouldnt be distributing iPads and laptops and poo poo to students but who am I to question

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why do you give your students iPads if you don't want them to be able to use them as iPads?
The idea that high school students need these to do their work is hilarious. I wish my high school had been that dumb / had that much money to waste.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

TWBalls posted:

To facebook is to post and or browse a social networking site.

I don't think this is the case... Do people really say "I'm just going to facebook that on MySpace"?

It has to be specific to the service referenced, I think. I'd say the same thing about "I'll google that on Bing"

I'm also in the camp of it's annoying, I wish they wouldn't use it, but I understand what they're saying and that's the point of language I guess.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
Could someone repost the pic of the equipment hanging from the ceiling by string? I'm having trouble finding it in the last thread.

Splashy Gravy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 26, 2013

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Splashy Gravy posted:

Could someone repost the pic of the equipment handing from the ceiling by string? I'm having trouble finding it in the last thread.

There's a forest of cables in our server room ceiling, some of which are supported by string. There's also a 2-foot-deep sonicwall that is screwed into a 2-post rack and is supported by string. Do you want pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tehloki posted:

There's a forest of cables in our server room ceiling, some of which are supported by string. There's also a 2-foot-deep sonicwall that is screwed into a 2-post rack and is supported by string. Do you want pictures

Do you really need to ask?

• Locked thread