Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Have any of you ever tried Vedett Extra White? I think it's the best Belgian Witbier I've ever had. I get a bubblegum/juicy fruit flavor in the finish, just like Apollo.

My bar got the first keg of it ever in the US (well... legally in the US, others may have had it first). My boss has been trying to get it into the states on draft for over 3 years.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Zam posted:

Good for Tart ($20), bad for Rugbrod and Maple ($12). Those are local prices though, so may be different elsewhere. Regardless, the Tart pricing makes me question the others.

I'd definitely suggest Tart, Rugbrod is OK but nothing special, and I personally don't care for Maple at all.

You lucky California Bastard -- add $8-10 to a 750 and you have Philly prices.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Tart is totally worth it. Rugbrod is interesting. I still haven't opened my Autumn Maple yet. But at those prices I'd buy an extra of all 3.

edit - The cheapest I've seen Autumn Maple is $18 and I'm pretty sure Rugbrod is about the same. I definitely paid about $20 for my Tart.

Overspending confession: I bought a Sour in the Rye and a Tart from Foodery on 10th two weeks ago and it was ~55 after tax. Now I'm wondering if they hosed up ringing me out.

Now, at Foodery Roxborough, Tart is $14.95. IDGI. I had a Tart in the fridge so I picked up another, and one Autumn Maple, one Rugbrod. I know they weren't *more* than $14.95, but I don't remember if they were also $14.95. I'm going to swing past tonight and see what the deal was, maybe pick up another Tart. (I like Tart a lot).

Pricecomparison with NoLibs Beer (who's usually cheaper than Foodery):
Bruery Autumn Maple $16.99
Bruery Rugbrod $15.50
Bruery Tart of Darkness $23.99

This $14.95 is astounding me, it seems to be a very non-Philly price.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Me in Reverse posted:

Overspending confession: I bought a Sour in the Rye and a Tart from Foodery on 10th two weeks ago and it was ~55 after tax. Now I'm wondering if they hosed up ringing me out.

No, you just went to the Foodery.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Midorka do you expect Sofie to last until Friday?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

lazerwolf posted:

Midorka do you expect Sofie to last until Friday?

Nope, there was ~2 growler fills as of last might. We do have some really good Brooklyn Brewmaster's Cuvee beer that I've heard great things about coming on though.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Headed to 3 Floyds for dinner and beers with an buddy tonight, but it looks like they're out of Zombie Dust for the time being :( Was hoping to bring some to my cousin in St. Louis.

Oh well, they DO have Permanent Funeral, so that's a plus.

As a sidenote, anything from Schlafly or anyone else that doesn't distribute to Chicago that I should be looking for? I snagged a Schlafly BBA Imperial Stout from a store in St. Louis last weekend, and a dry-hopped APA that was pretty good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Cervixalot posted:

anything from Schlafly

Schlafly makes the only pumpkin ale i like at all, so there's that, and i know people who swear by the Tasmanian IPA. most of their regular lineup is nothing special and i've never been wowed by any of their large-format stuff, although again i know a few people that dig on their barleywine.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
CCB/El Catador tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/elcatadorclub/status/383254459662360576/photo/1

I'm pretty sure I can make out "Good Gourd" on those barrels so yeah, it appears this will be an El Catador release.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yeah, they definitely say "Good Gourd".

Good news, Hatful!

vv I'll trade you my disgusting pumpkin rear end water for some of them Cantiloons you've got stocked up :getin:

P.S. didn't you inventory your cellar a week or two ago? Update your spreadsheet :colbert:

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 26, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Attention Catador Club Members: meet me in the trading thread if you want to get rid of your disgusting barrel aged pumpkin beers.

Me in Reverse posted:

P.S. didn't you inventory your cellar a week or two ago? Update your spreadsheet :colbert:

I started the inventory process but then it turned into just drinking my cellar instead.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 26, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Attention Catador Club Members: meet me in the trading thread if you want to get rid of your disgusting barrel aged pumpkin beers.

See you there!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Alesmith has their next batch of BA releases; it looks like they're doing a Rye version of the sleeper BA Old Numbskull and a re-release of the Grand Cru. Given how good BAON was, I'll definitely pick up the max capacity of Rye that I can but I'm wary of the Grand Cru.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Furious Lobster posted:

Alesmith has their next batch of BA releases; it looks like they're doing a Rye version of the sleeper BA Old Numbskull and a re-release of the Grand Cru. Given how good BAON was, I'll definitely pick up the max capacity of Rye that I can but I'm wary of the Grand Cru.

Dumb question, where did they post this at? I see nothing on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram and I've seen all their other announcements via their Twitter or through their email list I'm on, but clearly people have been made aware of this release somewhere.

Already setting up a trade for some Bo & Luke and BA Kuhnhenn for RWBA Grand Cru, RBA Numbskull, Decadence, and Evil Dead Red. That Rye Numbskull should be fantastic.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Another Jester King release:
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-nocturn-chrysalis

Very cool label art. I am gonna have to find a way to go to that Funk and Sour festival, it just sucks that it's on a Sunday :argh:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

wattershed posted:

Dumb question, where did they post this at? I see nothing on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram and I've seen all their other announcements via their Twitter or through their email list I'm on, but clearly people have been made aware of this release somewhere.

Already setting up a trade for some Bo & Luke and BA Kuhnhenn for RWBA Grand Cru, RBA Numbskull, Decadence, and Evil Dead Red. That Rye Numbskull should be fantastic.

According to the BA - Pacific forum, they released the news in one of their emails? What are your thoughts about the Grand Cru because I've been hearing mixed things about it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I started the inventory process but then it turned into just drinking my cellar instead.

Let's talk beer 3: but then it turned into just drinking my cellar instead.

^^^ Story of my week. I picked up some Gold Mine yesterday, though, because $4/6 pack is hard to argue against.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Furious Lobster posted:

According to the BA - Pacific forum, they released the news in one of their emails? What are your thoughts about the Grand Cru because I've been hearing mixed things about it.

Weird. I got those emails all the time then just realized I haven't gotten one in quite a while. Re-signed up.

The RWBA Grand Cru is inferior to the regular Grand Cru, IMO. Something about the acidic tannins of the wine barrel clashing with the dark caramel, it creates a mediocre combo.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

I'll be maxing Rye BAON, but likely only grabbing RWBA Grand Cru if I hear interest for trading purposes.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Huzzah, Goose Island Clybourn is staying at its present location! https://twitter.com/GooseClybourn/status/383308788981583872

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Duh, I knew that was going to be the outcome, what landlord in their right mind would get rid of a guaranteed rent check, regardless of perceived rental rate inequities.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BoredByThis posted:

Duh, I knew that was going to be the outcome, what landlord in their right mind would get rid of a guaranteed rent check, regardless of perceived rental rate inequities.

A ton of businesses in my city's downtown that have been around forever are getting booted out by massive rent increases lately. They're not national landmarks like the Clybourn pub, but still, it's happening.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
The only reason that I knew this was what the outcome would be is because this is the 3rd time that this same scenario has played out. And that just in the time that I've lived in Chicago (since 2003)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Apparently Bruery prices are dropping, according to the guy who just sold me Tart for 14.95. They're sourcing their ingredients in bulk/from somewhere different. I don't know how much I buy that, since these bottles are 5-10-13, and nobody else appears to have pricedropped Tart in the past 4 months.

& in Lawsuit news, Farmhands is now known as Saisonhands.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 26, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Weird. I got those emails all the time then just realized I haven't gotten one in quite a while. Re-signed up.

The RWBA Grand Cru is inferior to the regular Grand Cru, IMO. Something about the acidic tannins of the wine barrel clashing with the dark caramel, it creates a mediocre combo.

Agreed. I don't think its special at all. No clue why they're selling it for something that isn't $14.99.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Me in Reverse posted:

Apparently Bruery prices are dropping, according to the guy who just sold me Tart for 14.95. They're sourcing their ingredients in bulk/from somewhere different. I don't know how much I buy that, since these bottles are 5-10-13, and nobody else appears to have pricedropped Tart in the past 4 months.

It seems a lot of retail accounts and/or wholesalers don't really care if the brewery drops the prices, they'll sell them at the same price if people buy them. Shame really.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Me in Reverse posted:

someone definitely shoulda suggested Saison D'Ésist to him, he woulda dug it for sure

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SUPER HASSLER posted:

someone definitely shoulda suggested Saison D'Ésist to him, he woulda dug it for sure

It was suggested on pretty much every Facebook post since the namechange announcement :colbert:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Opened my Maine Beer MO tonight. Really tasty, I like this much more than Weez. Reminds me of a Lagunitas hop profile. Zoe and Lunch still to go. Thanks again for the suggestions in this thread.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Me in Reverse posted:

Yeah, prices are not dropping considering the bottles are $20 at The Bruery and $20 before discount for RS/HS members. A great price for you though.

Zam fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 27, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Zam posted:

Yeah, not true considering the bottles are $20 at The Bruery and $20 before discount for RS/HS members. A great price for you though.

Apparently it's 180 per case normally, which is 15/bottle +tax. He claims it's discounted further than that now.

I have 4 Tarts and they had 4 more.. I don't know if I *love* Tart enough to buy more.

Doesn't make much sense to me, either, considering Rugbrod and Autumn Maple are $14.95 also, which is over the ~12ish they "should" be, minus this mystery discount.

I think the guy hosed up his math or something.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 27, 2013

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Me in Reverse posted:

Apparently it's 180 per case normally, which is 15/bottle +tax. He claims it's discounted further than that now.

I have 4 Tarts and they had 4 more.. I don't know if I *love* Tart enough to buy more.

Great beer and even better at that price.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

:neckbeard:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i was confused for a minute, but now i see. moving up in the world, huh?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i was confused for a minute, but now i see. moving up in the world, huh?

Well, there's only "up" to go for a Rams fan...

Had Take the Black last night. As expected, another competent yet boring beer from Ommegang.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Well, there's only "up" to go for a Rams fan...

Had Take the Black last night. As expected, another competent yet boring beer from Ommegang.

I was looking for a new stout at the store yesterday, and my store had just gotten in Take the Black and Mission Dark Seas. It kinda felt wrong picking a Mission beer over an Ommegang, but I think I made the right choice. :( It seems like the Game of Thrones series is strictly for fans who would enjoy the gimmick, since the beers don't seem to be all that special.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

deadwing posted:

I was looking for a new stout at the store yesterday, and my store had just gotten in Take the Black and Mission Dark Seas. It kinda felt wrong picking a Mission beer over an Ommegang, but I think I made the right choice. :( It seems like the Game of Thrones series is strictly for fans who would enjoy the gimmick, since the beers don't seem to be all that special.

Dark Seas is tasty; if Iron Throne is any indication, the stout is probably boring, yes

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

danbanana posted:

Is it really a "stout"? Because I've seen it classified as a Belgian dark ale.

HBO really should have given the rights to a brewery that brews more than just one style of beer. I can see Stone or Sierra Nevada or Firestone Walker doing a GoT themed line of really good barleywines, imperial stouts and IPAs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Arclight posted:

HBO really should have given the rights to a brewery that brews more than just one style of beer. I can see Stone or Sierra Nevada or Firestone Walker doing a GoT themed line of really good barleywines, imperial stouts and IPAs.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that it didn't go to DFH. Who knows what they would've done with it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Arclight posted:

It's a stout that uses Ommegang's usual Belgian yeast, so whatever you want to call that. Felt far more stout-ish than anything else.

Ommegang's NY location, distribution range (far more than FW, for instance), and the fact that their brewery kind of looks like it fell out of 17th century probably had some influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think they were also going for the whole cork-and-cage medieval seeming type of thing, too. I'd buy the beer to try if I ever saw it in stores, I think it's a good gimmick.