Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Isn't Red XIII the same as Yuffie in that his multi-hit is also his Level 3 limit? Tifa isn't bad either early-game since she'll hit multiple times out the gate. Vincent and Cait Sith are pretty much the only two you don't want to deal with.

Actually, Vincent can turn into a demon which, in my experience, is both cool to think about and to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Succeed at what, exactly?

Beating Final Fantasy XIII.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

6EQUJ5 posted:

I was thinking last night that I might try playing through the whole series (excluding XI and XIV). Is this a really stupid idea that will only cause me pain?

Go for it, what's the worst that could happen?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Don't skip 14. It actually has a complete storyline that only requires you play with other people a handful of times.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Been meaning to ask this question forever, but I always forget, so here goes. Is it a staple of Japanese video games and/or animation that characters do the ridiculous dramatic breathing thing (like this ridiculous thing) or is it just Final Fantasy? Or is it in localization? I remember Vanille in particular gasping all the time in XIII, and it just comes off as so weird to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Great Lakes Log posted:

Actually, Vincent can turn into a demon which, in my experience, is both cool to think about and to see.
Oh yeah, it's absolutely cool to see. Once, and then never again. And never against bosses.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Red XIII's multi-hitter is level 2, and it's really weak. The damage multipliers on it are low (5/8th regular damage per hit).
Nah, Stardust blows. I meant his 3-2, which is basically the same as Yuffie's 3-2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Succeed at what, exactly?

Not dying and not killing everyone. There is a sequel but it is even stupider and an explicit retcon of FFXIII's ending

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 26, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Beating Final Fantasy XIII.

Or, "reaching the end of the tube."

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It's not often that something needs the entirety of space-time to be ruined just for the first sequel to have a reason to happen. And then again for the second sequel.

One of the biggest problems with the continuity is that the only people in the universe that are relevant to all this are the same assholes you played as in the first game. Why would Sazh be involved in anything after the first game, since he managed to get his son back, and didn't really like fighting anyway? Well, they needed something to sell as DLC. Let's make the Gods take his kid away or something so we don't have to make any changes to his character or motivation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh "the only important people are the people from the original game + 1 or 2 new people" is basically something that applies to almost every sequel ever made. The point of sequels is to revisit a universe and that tends to involve somewhat hamfisted ways to bring back characters who really shouldn't logically be back because the other choice is just not including them.

FFXIII-2 beginning with "well, poo poo, guess the ending didn't happen" is just lazy though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Eh "the only important people are the people from the original game + 1 or 2 new people" is basically something that applies to almost every sequel ever made. The point of sequels is to revisit a universe and that tends to involve somewhat hamdfisted ways to bring back characters who really shouldn't logically be back because the other choice is just not including them.

FFXIII-2 beginning with "well, poo poo, guess the ending didn't happen" is just lazy though.

Despite completely shifting the geography of the world around I liked Lunar 2's approach of actually taking place waaaay the hell after Lunar 1 so nobody was still alive except the goddess and most of what is passed on from the first game are ancient relics, companies, and remnants of the conflict now repurposed.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, it's absolutely cool to see. Once, and then never again. And never against bosses.

Nah, Stardust blows. I meant his 3-2, which is basically the same as Yuffie's 3-2.

I think it's because Yuffie's hits 15 times, and at max strength she can do more total damage than Red XIII's Earth Rave which is five hits at double damage, since the cap is 9999.

At max strength, Stardust Ray would do more total damage as well, since it's 10 hits. It's still nothing on Doom of the Living.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 26, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 4 did the same thing.

We don't talk about Phantasy Star 3.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wish more game sequels could be along the lines of Silent Hill 2, or Resident Evil 4. The previous games still exist, and may be referenced, but it's a new story without all the baggage that having the cult/Umbrella would entail.

Silent Hill I-2 would have been about Harry Mason rescuing his daughter again from the same cult, except he's now travelling through time into suspiciously-similar looking areas separated by enormous loading times. None of the enemies pose any sort of threat, and he's aided by a super-deformed floating Pyramid Head with a whiny, high-pitched voice.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Maybe it's just because I'm older now, but while both X-2 and XIII-2 were pretty silly, and wild stylistic departures, X-2 felt like a sequel to X, while XIII-2 left me feeling like I'd played high production value fanfiction. Right down to the terrible OC and his mary-sue rival, the sidelining of a canon pairing in favour of him, an idiotic cosmology-mangling time-travel plot not as clever as it thinks it is and the lavishing of incongruous superpowers on a popular character from the original.

quote:

The point of sequels is to revisit a universe and that tends to involve somewhat hamfisted ways to bring back characters who really shouldn't logically be back because the other choice is just not including them.
Maybe this is why. XIII-2 didn't revisit XIII, it ran off on some whole other weird and deeply stupid bender.

Great final boss rush though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, FFX-2 had a coherent theme. It was revisiting a world which had suffered under 1,000 years of religious oppression and unrelenting horror and was now the cultural equivalent of a repressed homeschooled teenager on their first bender. It was goofy as poo poo but it at least made sense as a counterpart to FFX.

FFXIII-2 is like... loving time paradoxes I guess?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FF13-2 is Square saying "If we make up a new meaning for a word, like 'chaos' or 'paradox' and just yell it all the time, our story doesn't have to make sense."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Noel wasn't particularly terrible. He just wasn't particularly anything at all, ending up as just Some Guy, though he did have a few good lines. I have a big soft spot for Caius though, mainly because he is fabulous as hell and I could listen to him talk for days, and the idea of a immortal dude who just constantly fucks with the player and can turn into at least 4 techno-dragons is pretty neat. The plot had some interesting ideas but never really went anywhere with them.

The worst offense of 13-2 is Serah. She is a completely awful character with no redeeming qualities that was added to appeal to the wrong sort of people, or to replace Lightning but with none of the things people like about Lightning.

Also Sazh should've been chosen to be the knight of the goddess or whatever. Really just every character should have been Sazh, except for Caius.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ImpAtom posted:

Well, FFX-2 had a coherent theme. It was revisiting a world which had suffered under 1,000 years of religious oppression and unrelenting horror and was now the cultural equivalent of a repressed homeschooled teenager on their first bender. It was goofy as poo poo but it at least made sense as a counterpart to FFX.

FFXIII-2 is like... loving time paradoxes I guess?

FFX-2 is one of the most optimistic games I've ever played. What happens to the world after centuries of religious terror and space whales? They just want to have fun! Spira follows the same character arc as Yuna: you put on a fun shirt and have adventures with your friends but the idea of not helping someone who needs it just never comes to mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXIII-2 is basically Chrono Cross but less good, thinking about it.

"Whoops, turns out the happy ending wasn't so happy. Thanks to time paradoxes and bullshit, all the cast effectively got hosed over offscreen. Play as a new character and another character who appeared in but was unplayable in the original game as you deal with a bunch of inane bullshit."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CC seems a lot more bitter, though. The more I think about CC, the less I like it because it seems to make you want to be guilty you saved the world from Lavos because humans are awful, awful, awful (even though none of that was in CT).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII-2 is basically Chrono Cross but less good, thinking about it.
A friend once described Chrono Cross like this:

so sure, FF13 is ^that except less good, I can buy that.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

The White Dragon posted:

Right after getting Vincent I used his limit break for the first time on a boss that was healed by fire damage, but I hadn't saved for a while so I had to slowing whittle the boss down as he healed him over and over. Ugh.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Should've just iced Vincent.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Should've just iced Vincent.

Yeah, my friend pointed that out the next day when I told him, but this was 16 years ago :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Defiance Industries posted:

CC seems a lot more bitter, though. The more I think about CC, the less I like it because it seems to make you want to be guilty you saved the world from Lavos because humans are awful, awful, awful (even though none of that was in CT).

Honestly I kind of like CC because of this. It's kind of an interesting twist and the fact that it sprang up because you killed wasn't meant to be killed (Or didn't kill it hard enough in that new ending in the DS version.) is pretty interesting. The protagonists of the last game abused a fragile time line and time travel to cheat the system and save the world from a death that was meant to happen until they hosed up and created a bunch of time holes and then Chrono Cross comes along as says "Yeah good job, you change the future! Now here's what happens when you gently caress with time that bad." It didn't do it really well but it was kind of cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think my main problem was that it did so not by introducing a world in, say, 2100 AD where humans were all assholes to robots and mystics, but that they went back and decided that all the people in 1000 AD were actually secret racists the whole time and so maybe trying to save the entire planet's biosphere from being consumed by an evil alien parasite is somehow wrong. It's like arguing for not saving someone who's tied to train tracks because maybe they're secretly Hitler.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I rarely care much about stories in video games, so CC's being somewhat of a train wreck that negates much of CT isn't a huge problem for me, but I particularly like it for its attempt to mix up the typical turn based battle and magic systems and its stellar soundtrack, and for a ps1 game it was very pretty. While the huge number of randomly generated accent characters is definitely a flaw, there were at least a good number of interesting ones, and the secondary characters (e.g., Orlha, Grobyc, Norris, etc.) were at least worked in reasonably well. Some like Van and Funguy were completely pointless and could easily have been scrubbed from the game, though.

I'd wager most people have at least a couple of the irrelevant characters that they have a soft spot for. It'd be Poshul, Orlha, and Steena for me. And I liked the luchador priest, but he had absolutely no reason to exist.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

chumbler posted:

It'd be Poshul [...] for me.

I think you're the actual only one.

Personally I think ZOAH is in fact the best character but he's relevant. If only slightly.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Final Fantasy VIII had a kick-rear end robot spider. It was weak to thunder spells but you had a time limit and at the end your sexy teacher shoots it with a goddamn gatling gun.

Final Fantasy VII had you snowboard down a mountain and ride a motorcycle down a highway, slicing other motherfuckers who are also on motorcycles with a sword as big as you are.

I just wanted to remind people of awesome things that were in Final Fantasy games.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Winks posted:

Right after getting Vincent I used his limit break for the first time on a boss that was healed by fire damage, but I hadn't saved for a while so I had to slowing whittle the boss down as he healed him over and over. Ugh.

Ha, I had the opposite problem with him once. I had a ring on him that healed all of (some form of) Jenova's attacks, and he had transformed then my other two characters got killed. So I walked away while he finished the boss fight.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

chumbler posted:

luchador priest, no reason to exist.

I've noticed a contradiction in your statement here.

And really, Chrono Cross really shows how it's another RPG that turned into a Chrono Trigger game later. The "Boy Howdy humans sure are dicks to nature" theme is actually the plot of, what, half of all RPGs?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Final Fantasy VIII had a kick-rear end robot spider. It was weak to thunder spells but you had a time limit and at the end your sexy teacher shoots it with a goddamn gatling gun.

Final Fantasy VII had you snowboard down a mountain and ride a motorcycle down a highway, slicing other motherfuckers who are also on motorcycles with a sword as big as you are.

I just wanted to remind people of awesome things that were in Final Fantasy games.

No, the most awesome thing is forcing Azul Magia to kill itself. Master of Blue Magic; non-possessor of common sense.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I've noticed a contradiction in your statement here.

And really, Chrono Cross really shows how it's another RPG that turned into a Chrono Trigger game later. The "Boy Howdy humans sure are dicks to nature" theme is actually the plot of, what, half of all RPGs?

My favorite is that across multiple playthroughs and story branches the Dwarves are just total rat bastards who will blame humans for 100% of the problems no matter what. Its the most hilarious thing because the game tries to make you feel bad over the fairy/dwarf genocide but you as the player know that across space and time the Dwarves are getting exactly what they deserve.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

No, the most awesome thing is forcing Azul Magia to kill itself. Master of Blue Magic; non-possessor of common sense.

That seriously has to rank up among the top percent of awesome/satisfying boss kills. PEER PRESSURE, MAN, PEER PRESSURE

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mr. Maltose posted:

I really doubt that Chrono Cross was ever "another RPG that turned into a Chrono Trigger sequel", it's mostly that with Chrono Trigger Masato Kato was under Yuji Hori's thumb, while with Cross he had free reign to do what he wanted.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That seriously has to rank up among the top percent of awesome/satisfying boss kills. PEER PRESSURE, MAN, PEER PRESSURE

If you can struggle to grind out FF2 you can toad the final boss. Casting Death on Orphan in FFXIII is also amusing as hell because it makes whats a grandiose fight take approximately 6-10 seconds with some luck.

Edit: Any magic user fight where you can Beserk them is cool as well. FF12 had a lot of those for some reason.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dr Pepper posted:

I really doubt that Chrono Cross was ever "another RPG that turned into a Chrono Trigger sequel", it's mostly that with Chrono Trigger Masato Kato was under Yuji Hori's thumb, while with Cross he had free reign to do what he wanted.

It has exceptionally little to do with Chrono Trigger except some place names until BAM! All the plot is dumped at the, what, 80% point?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mr. Maltose posted:

It has exceptionally little to do with Chrono Trigger except some place names until BAM! All the plot is dumped at the, what, 80% point?

It's filled right from the start with little nods and references to Chrono Trigger though. The problem is horrid pacing and infodumping.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Mechanical demigods inflict a geas upon humans to destroy their home in an attempt to summon the demigod's creator. The humans rebel against it and eventually succeed.

If you're going to use made-up words, I'm going to also need supplementary reference materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Looper posted:

If you're going to use made-up words, I'm going to also need supplementary reference materials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geas