Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Shwqa posted:

I'm so down for team frogout to be a thing 3-4 times a year. I'm spent my disposable cash for the month (I get paid once a month) so I can't help doobie dogs out, but I want to be there for the next one. I can't wait for the next lovable dream chaser :3:

https://www.kiva.org might be easier to find honest people around the world compared to kickstarter. You can make a team of people on that site. I sure you can donate the money instead of doing the loan and expecting money. If not we can take any profits and put them right back into helping someone.

I ain't telling people what to do with their money (other than "give it to hot dog man"), but Team Frogout should probably just be a magical one-time thing, pretty much everything about this is just too unique/absurd to repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

steinrokkan posted:

Did you count establishments within Reform alone, or along a wider stretch of the road?

Also, I believe Wayne is already making a living out of his small-scale trailer establishment, so there definitely is demand for his services. He needs the money because he decided that instead of paying for repairs on the dog trailer, he might as well expand. (Or at least that's how I understand it)

That's all within the boundaries of Reform as displayed by Google Maps. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be Street View images of the buildings South on 1st street or I'd have checked there too.

And I'm not saying a hot dog place won't do just fine there and add some good variety, it's just not quite as bleak as "all they have is a Subway".

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

SoundMonkey posted:

When the staff get their jaws off the floor and stop trying to work out what in the living gently caress happened.

It very much stands in contrast to the current staff pick for food: An artisan taffy-pulling shop in Brooklyn with an immaculately manicured Kickstarter pitch:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2005214737/build-a-taffy-factory-in-brooklyn?ref=home_spotlight

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

JossiRossi posted:

In response to someone mentioning he might get to 10 grand.

I don't think I've ever laughed this hard at a bible joke. :3:

Haha, that was me, and I approve of this interpretation of the Bible.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Random acts of kindness are the greatest thing :frogbon:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Noni posted:

It very much stands in contrast to the current staff pick for food: An artisan taffy-pulling shop in Brooklyn with an immaculately manicured Kickstarter pitch:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2005214737/build-a-taffy-factory-in-brooklyn?ref=home_spotlight

They think they're so much better than us. Let's show them.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

I ain't telling people what to do with their money (other than "give it to hot dog man"), but Team Frogout should probably just be a magical one-time thing, pretty much everything about this is just too unique/absurd to repeat.

I agree. If we had threads like "It's December. Who are we giving money to this time?" they'd fail or get very few donations. If you want to do that, by all means, just look around Kickstarter the next time you feel money burning a hole in your pocket. It's a noble effort, but you can't get another Team Frogout by scheduling it.

Doobie's DogHouse was helped through serendipity, a little bit of novelty, and most of all, our belief in Wayne.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SoundMonkey posted:

If something comes up, it comes up. But I'm down to Frogout on another unsuspecting entrepreneur.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

As far as media goes, Alabama Public Radio is located at the University of Alabama campus, which is only about 30 minutes away. Maybe this is a story they'd be interested in?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

contrapants posted:

Doobie's DogHouse was helped through serendipity, a little bit of novelty, and most of all, our belief in Wayne.

To be honest I think we believed in Wayne a whole lot harder than Wayne did.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SoundMonkey posted:

That is another advantage that micro loan site. It is small stuff like this guy in remote fishing town wants to buy fishing nets that are safer and work better, if it successful enough he wants to put his children through school. he need 125 dollars (http://www.kiva.org/lend/609886). They are far smaller amounts the the hopefully 10,000+ that doobie dogs will hopefully get.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 26, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

They think they're so much better than us. Let's show them.
Let's turn this into a Red State/Blue State thing and show them what the real America likes to eat. :getin:

Disclaimer: I'm a leftist Canadian

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

spacemost posted:

Let's turn this into a Red State/Blue State thing and show them what the real America likes to eat. :getin:

Disclaimer: I'm a leftist Canadian

So am I but I agree entirely with this post.

Give me a drat chili dog with processed cheese, not some bespoke-rear end taffy.

Also one of my all-time favorite things about Doobie's Kickstarter is that the title image is by far the worst of any of them.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My first inclination was just to say yeah lets show those dumb red states how we like to eat hot dogs :smug:

Then I realized I am on the wrong side in this war. Just a fat kid who doesn't even recognize the person in the mirror anymore

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tim Burns Effect posted:

As far as media goes, Alabama Public Radio is located at the University of Alabama campus, which is only about 30 minutes away. Maybe this is a story they'd be interested in?

I think it's definitely something NPR would like picking up, considering This American Life was about how a whole 150 Americans die per year because of acetaminophen. Can't be a very eventful month for them.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

SoundMonkey posted:

To be honest I think we believed in Wayne a whole lot harder than Wayne did.

Even when he was 1% funded he was still positive that it would happen in the end, and lo and behold...

panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

Hey guys, found this while doing some internet detective work!

quote:

future home of Doobie's Dog House

Update #5 · Sep 13, 2013 · comment
just a quick update: this is our new kitchen for Doobie's DogHouse.. got to get funded so i can finish the inside.. so please give ..thanks

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Shwqa posted:

That is another advantage that micro loan site. It is small stuff like this guy in remote fishing town wants to buy fishing nets that are safer and work better, if it successful enough he wants to put his children through school. he need 125 dollars (http://www.kiva.org/lend/609886). They are far smaller amounts the the hopefully 10,000+ that doobie dogs will hopefully get.

I've been a Kiva lender before, it's a good organization. There's a ton of things to pick from; I liked helping out entrepreneurs in ex-Soviet Republics. The people who run it are clearly passionate about what they do and want to improve the lives of others around the world.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
The power of the dog compelled me, threw :10bux: to support the dream.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

SoundMonkey posted:

So am I but I agree entirely with this post.

Give me a drat chili dog with processed cheese, not some bespoke-rear end taffy.

drat straight. I think the litmus test for a lot of food is how you feel about it when you are drunk or high. And never in my life have I thought "I can barely walk straight, time to fill up on artisanal taffy".

But man, a chili dog after a few beers is a thing of beauty.

Also thanks for turning me onto Kiva. I didn't know about it and I'm currently browsing through projects. That seems like a pretty worthwhile idea to spend some money on.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

monster on a stick posted:

I've been a Kiva lender before, it's a good organization. There's a ton of things to pick from; I liked helping out entrepreneurs in ex-Soviet Republics. The people who run it are clearly passionate about what they do and want to improve the lives of others around the world.

Yes, Kiva, I would indeed like to get notified when these hotdog loans become available.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Tossed in a $5 because yesterday was bill day and I'm super poor now. Probably gonna kick it up to at least $10 on Friday for some extra support for the guy.

And now I'm going to go make myself a chili dog.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
While I don't think a scheduled thing would be good (or even work with the goon track record for organized stuff), if soundmonkey or another mod came out so often with regular not-so-common donation opportunities like this, it would be awesome. In a way, this is already done, but I like the idea of it being a sort of "thing" here. Also team frogout needs to be the permanent name, always.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

As I understand Kiva, you are theoretically backfilling loans which have actually already been given by Kiva's partner finance organisations (microlenders, etc). Whether this is even accurate I am not sure - is Kiva in fact acting, directly or at a remove, as a guarantor and thus a backstop for its partner lenders (passing any losses on or eventually returning "loaned" capital to you, the member, if you're lucky), who are in fact getting money elsewhere? They like to sell the thing as "you are lending to person x", but that doesn't seem to me to be what's actually happening.

It may well be that you are at more of a remove from borrowers than you would be if you just put some savings into a local mutual society/building society/credit union/became an REI member.

You also have to hope that the partner lenders, their loan books and their borrowers are actually legit. Maybe Credit Mongol is just some cheeto-stained dude in Ulaan Baator with a big-rear end yurt, a kickin home theatre system and a string of very expensive high performance ponies.

In case anyone thinks I'm being hopelessly cynical, I have $25 goonbux floating somewhere in Kivaspace.

The point being that in this case, less the Kickstarter/Amazon cut, we are at least giving actual money to Wayne.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

SoundMonkey posted:

Just you wait. At some point, I can't say when, but at some point some goon will find the perfect sequel to this hotdog sojourn.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but he does have an actual Facebook page up.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Somewhere there is a man with a dream of bringing his homemade antacid remedy to the public

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jiro Kage posted:

While I don't think a scheduled thing would be good (or even work with the goon track record for organized stuff), if soundmonkey or another mod came out so often with regular not-so-common donation opportunities like this, it would be awesome. In a way, this is already done, but I like the idea of it being a sort of "thing" here. Also team frogout needs to be the permanent name, always.

Just pointin' out that I'm not even a mod of GBS, I just saw a silly thing and gave it a few dollars. While I'm a big fan of charity it doesn't seem fair for one person to pick.

Also, opinion check: I'm going to tell Wayne to start ditching reward-dogs from the $25-tier until he gets $500 to put the frog on the wall (unless one of the Deep Pockets $500 donators wants to do that) since that was the original purpose of Team Frogout, but considering the concerns raised in the thread about his ability to provide said dogs without going broke, do we want to either ask him to reduce our number of dogs per reward, or are people voluntarily ditching the reward now? (I'm told that's possible.)

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
I never wanted anything but the happiness of a man and his family, and I got it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Also, opinion check: I'm going to tell Wayne to start ditching reward-dogs from the $25-tier until he gets $500 to put the frog on the wall (unless one of the Deep Pockets $500 donators wants to do that) since that was the original purpose of Team Frogout, but considering the concerns raised in the thread about his ability to provide said dogs without going broke, do we want to either ask him to reduce our number of dogs per reward, or are people voluntarily ditching the reward now? (I'm told that's possible.)
I think we should just tell him to take however much he would have spent on our rewards, and use it to buy some newspaper ads or subsidize the grand opening to get some traffic in the door.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

99% of the donors won't ever visit his hot dog shack. It will cost him nothing to email a coupon to everyone who hit that tier. I guess a few people said to donate their dogs to the homeless but that won't make him go broke.

panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

Just pointin' out that I'm not even a mod of GBS, I just saw a silly thing and gave it a few dollars. While I'm a big fan of charity it doesn't seem fair for one person to pick.

I opted out of my reward. You can do it under the 'Manage your Pledge' button on his kickstarter site. You might want to add this to the OP? I think at the end of the kickstarter it sends an email out to everyone asking how they want to receive their reward, so if people dont want it they can do it that way too. Some goons seem to be local to that area and may want to keep their rewards.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Maybe a "give 50 dogs to the needy, use the rest / the rest of the money to promote yourself"? Would everyone be cool with that?

And I guess maybe leave five of the rewards untouched for the few people who donated who AREN'T from SA.

I just don't wanna go giving away anyone's reward that they were actually going to claim (although at this point I'm pretty sure you could drive up, prove you're one of the Team Frogout backers, and he'd just give you a hotdog and probably a hug.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
I told my wife about this and remarked on how funny it is that SA does all this charitable giving, and she said "Well, you're all good people at heart, you just like to *act* like dicks".

Goons :unsmith:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

shitwhichtotallyhappened.png

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

este posted:

I told my wife about this and remarked on how funny it is that SA does all this charitable giving, and she said "Well, you're all good people at heart, you just like to *act* like dicks".

Goons :unsmith:
I know we do but what does she???

:colbert:

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

Maybe a "give 50 dogs to the needy, use the rest / the rest of the money to promote yourself"? Would everyone be cool with that?

And I guess maybe leave five of the rewards untouched for the few people who donated who AREN'T from SA.

I just don't wanna go giving away anyone's reward that they were actually going to claim (although at this point I'm pretty sure you could drive up, prove you're one of the Team Frogout backers, and he'd just give you a hotdog and probably a hug.

Im totally ok with this. Im here to help a man with a dream have a dog shack with a frog on it.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Just tell him, "Look, people from Team Frogout aren't in it for the rewards. Do whatever you need to to keep your business afloat. If you have a few dogs to give to the homeless, feel free. If not, that's fine."

And I'm sure very few of us are going to redeem the coupons for that to matter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mathematics posted:

Just tell him, "Look, people from Team Frogout aren't in it for the rewards. Do whatever you need to to keep your business afloat. If you have a few dogs to give to the homeless, feel free. If not, that's fine."

And I'm sure very few of us are going to redeem the coupons for that to matter.

Yeah, that's pretty much the best way to ensure his survival. He knows most donors are from far away, and those who want to redeem their reward can explicitly ask him I guess. On the other hand, he should communicate this to the few pledgers who ain't in on our scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

Mathematics posted:

Maybe add "and we have access to graphic designers and copywriters and such who would be happy to help you if you want the assistance" but beyond that this is the way to go I think. I mean it's obvious even at this point that Wayne wants to go out of his way to thank us but we shouldn't do anything that'll be too difficult on his end.

• Locked thread