Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hammer is tap upwards, quarter circle, A.

Basically everything is easily to understand as fighting game inputs except maybe Unite Whip which is just "wiggle that poo poo around."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I'm pretty sure you need to do a little more than a quarter of a circle for a hammer. "Fighting game inputs" is simplifying it a little, considering the size of the morph and the direction you draw in are highly important things to take into consideration when it counts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raizor posted:

I'm pretty sure you need to do a little more than a quarter of a circle for a hammer. "Fighting game inputs" is simplifying it a little, considering the size of the morph and the direction you draw in are highly important things to take into consideration when it counts.

I'm able to do it consistently with a quarter circle. A half circle is more reliable though, true.

There are so many ways to get large-sized weapons without large-sized drawings that it isn't really worth being concerned with unless you absolutely need one at that moment. You're right that the direction matters but no more than other 3D action games I think.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

ImpAtom posted:

Hammer is tap upwards, quarter circle, A.

Basically everything is easily to understand as fighting game inputs except maybe Unite Whip which is just "wiggle that poo poo around."

For whatever reason, it is just the morph that I am least consistent at performing. I know what it is, and it is usually done with little thought, no problem. But considering that I already screw it up once in a while, I hope that wonder goggles doesn't make it even more easy for me to mess up, that's all.
And for wonder whip I do not just "wiggle that poo poo around". I push the stick in a direction, and while doing that, I give it a little up and then a little down and that's it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

For whatever reason, it is just the morph that I am least consistent at performing. I know what it is, and it is usually done with little thought, no problem. But considering that I already screw it up once in a while, I hope that wonder goggles doesn't make it even more easy for me to mess up, that's all.
And for wonder whip I do not just "wiggle that poo poo around". I push the stick in a direction, and while doing that, I give it a little up and then a little down and that's it.

What I mean is that there are so many ways to do Unite Whip that you can basically do it in any situation.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

Thanks a bunch for this advice. I just did the fight and it was much less frustrating than the previous ones. I even got a gold statue for the operation!

You're welcome! The rest of the game gets even more amazing, just gotta muscle through the tough stuff.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The one morph that I have trouble with is claw. I end up with a whip like 2/3s of the time. Sometimes I'll just use the touchpad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SombereroLad posted:

You're welcome! The rest of the game gets even more amazing, just gotta muscle through the tough stuff.

I just finished operation 008 and oh my god :swoon: This game just keeps getting more and more awesome.

Operation 007 has my favorite quicktime event so far: Mash A to squash a bug!

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

The one morph that I have trouble with is claw. I end up with a whip like 2/3s of the time. Sometimes I'll just use the touchpad.

Funny, because I get the opposite. I would have thought claw was easy because it's two sharp turns but apparently that's the same as the whip??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Tap left, tap right, tap left. (Or vice versa, it doesn't matter.) Hold it if you want to make the bigger claw instead of just tapping. let the stick return to neutral after each tap.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Helps if you learn to press right stick, let go to put it back into its neutral position and do another shape. trying to do claw for example in 1 fluid motion is just a mess. Best way ive found to whip out a large size hammer quick is draw a long straight line then a quick 1/2 circle. A small hammer, I do a short line then quick 1/2 circle. Only issues I have when drawing are shapes that hit a target due to attack liner or the liner is drawn over an area that ends up hiding the liner for whatever reason so i end up redrawing in another direction.

I think a newbie mistake is trying to draw to much. ie I started out playing by attacking, drawing something else, attack draw again, attack, add multi morphs etc. Now that ive played the game a lot and mastered the controls, I hold L while drawing for everything expect fist, I use all the weapon rising attacks, juggle with claws and bullets, throw bombs on lifted targets followed by tombstone + rocket attacks and feel like a badass. :smug:

GonSmithe posted:

I almost never can draw the bomb unless I use the touchpad. I don't understand why, but I always get a fist.

What I do is draw 90% of a circle, let go of right stick then draw a straight line. Longer the straight line, bigger the bomb. ex. start at 12 o'clock or up, draw a circle clockwise around to 11 o'clock, let go of right stick. Then draw a straight line going in a 10 o'clock direction. make sense?

Joink fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2013

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I almost never can draw the bomb unless I use the touchpad. I don't understand why, but I always get a fist.

Joink posted:

What I do is draw 90% of a circle, let go of right stick then draw a straight line at a sharp angle. Longer the straight line, bigger the bomb. ex. start at 12 o'clock or up, draw a circle clockwise around to 11 o'clock, let go of right stick. Then draw a straight line going in a 10 o'clock direction. make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll try it out next time.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2013

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

So I'm having fun with this game but the loading times seem a little bit long to me, is my copy messed up or are the loading times just like that?

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
The loading times are kind of long, that's why they give you the enemies to mess around with before every stage. I do wish the enemies you could find in there were diversified a bit though, there's not much you can really practice against little dough-goos, I usually end up using tombstone and demolishing them all at once.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

GonSmithe posted:

You can also switch to the bomb pretty easily by drawing a curlicue.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Tap left, tap right, tap left. (Or vice versa, it doesn't matter.) Hold it if you want to make the bigger claw instead of just tapping. let the stick return to neutral after each tap.

Thanks for the tip. If you want to make a sword hold the stick in one direction, hold it for longer if you want a bigger sword.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Is there a good guide for finding extras/collectibles yet? Like all the Wonderful Ones, files, platinum medals, secret missions/Kahkoo-regahs, etc. The only one I've found is really vague, poorly organized, and doesn't include platinum medals.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Did I seriously perform a Zandatsu in Operation 009? This is important to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Thanks for the tip. If you want to make a sword hold the stick in one direction, hold it for longer if you want a bigger sword.

Well, sorry for trying to offering advice then. A lot of people including reviewers and seemingly yourself, have problems with this because they're trying to draw a zig-zag instead of just tapping left-neutral-right-neutral-left which works every single time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 27, 2013

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Yeah, when you're drawing a claw, what the game is mainly looking for is just two sharp corners going in opposite directions. You don't really have to worry about angles or making the straights the same lengths or anything, but if you try to do the entire shape in one motion you're usually going to end up with at least one rounded corner, which makes the shape match the whip instead.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Does anyone use anything but sword for those fire and forget unite morphs? I'm not sure if I'm just being terrible, but I always let my random dudes fire little swarms of swords while I do the more tactically relevant stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

Does anyone use anything but sword for those fire and forget unite morphs? I'm not sure if I'm just being terrible, but I always let my random dudes fire little swarms of swords while I do the more tactically relevant stuff.

Sword is easiest to use but you're missing out but not using others. Bombs are great to sprinkle in, gun can be useful if you're doing it in a crowd, fist just flat-out hits harder, ect.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Welp. Picked this up yesterday finally and just finished through Operation 2. Partway through I pick up MOTHERFUCKING SEXY SILVIA FROM VIEWTIFUL JOE THE BEST GAME You're playin' with my feels Kamiya.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
I like to mix it up a bit and try to not spam the same ones unless it's on a specific enemy type or two (like the crabs I'll spam swords on the legs), as mixing it up often boosts the combo multiplier nicely. If I have a max bar and time to go ham on something I'll whip out the fist, and then do bomb, sword and claws in some order, then either follow up with more fists or claws and then bomb again. Gun can be situationally very good up close, it does crazy damage to bigger targets with the Cyclone attack, and Whip can also be nice for keeping combos on things you need to move away from temporarily.

EDIT: Aside from sword having good reach and damage, the one big disadvantage I can think of that it has in combat is recruiting enemies becomes a lot more difficult. Killing little guys with the fists or most other morphs will make them do the purple glow and allow recruiting for a few seconds, but 90% of the time with the sword it'll just slice them in two and that'll be it.

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 27, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Maple Leaf posted:

Did I seriously perform a Zandatsu in Operation 009? This is important to me.

Yes. Yes you did.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Kamiya's next game will star Viewtiful Dante who has clothing made entirely out of magical wolves and fights by uniting a million references into a massive sword that can cut the internet in half.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

Kamiya's next game will star Viewtiful Dante who has clothing made entirely out of magical wolves and fights by uniting a million references into a massive sword that can cut the internet in half.

So the best game ever made you're saying?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just beat the game.

Holy poo poo I'm in awe.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do the claws have any real use other than the parts where they're required? Their special moves seem awkward and their damage is awful. Also smashing frozen enemies with a hammer doesn't actually feel like it's doing extra damage to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Do the claws have any real use other than the parts where they're required? Their special moves seem awkward and their damage is awful. Also smashing frozen enemies with a hammer doesn't actually feel like it's doing extra damage to me.

Freezing enemies holds them in place which alone is really good. Rising Claw also is a long-lasting attack which allows for some fun combo opportunities.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ImpAtom posted:

Freezing enemies holds them in place which alone is really good. Rising Claw also is a long-lasting attack which allows for some fun combo opportunities.

While you have Rising Claw spinning, be a boss and send out some quick multi unites. I just mash A to go into the spin, quickly draw a sword and press X, then go back to mashing A to keep the spin going.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with that is if I can land enough hits on a non trivial enemy to freeze it I mostly likely have it completely under my control anyway. I'll give the rising a shot though.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Just finished the game today. The whole end-game portion, wow. Just wow. Haven't been this impressed by a game ending in a looong time.

Kamiya makes another masterpiece.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Just got an Elgato HD so I did a quick test recording of Wonderful 101, it has some of the unlockable stuff shown if you're curious. Namely, Chewgi + Unify Naginata, Wonder Daddy + Flaming Claws and Unite Big.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
I have a question about Ukemi, does it only work for damage that would kill you? Also, is there a notification (like a graphic or a sound) of some sort that you pulled it off correctly?

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

SombereroLad posted:

I have a question about Ukemi, does it only work for damage that would kill you? Also, is there a notification (like a graphic or a sound) of some sort that you pulled it off correctly?

Anytime your leader takes a hit and is launched into the air, you press the button as he hits the ground. Timed correctly, he will spring back up into the air and land on his feet, which is usually accompanied by a zoom-in.
Attacks that squash your leader can't be ukemi'd as far as I know.
I have gotten lots of use out of it and feel the timing pretty intuitively now.

edit: Oh, it also works if you're already in the air and the hit to your leader knocks him to the ground, that wasn't clear, maybe.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

So it's pretty much Viewtiful Joe's Ukemi but instead of hitting zoom in you hit jump. Was wondering about that since it's what I wanna spend my next Nelson card on.

Also how tight is the timing for the Hero Counter?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's super tight. It's not really mashable like Metal Gear Rising's was.

Also friend wanted me to play monster hunter with him and I kept trying to Ukemi. Why doesn't every game have the Ukemi :negative:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For some reason the description says you can use it when you take a "fatal" hit but really it can be used for any hit that knocks you around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really don't like Ukemi much in W101 to be honest. If I get hit I've already screwed up basically.

• Locked thread