Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Office Thug posted:

I think it's because the plants are getting old and they'll be looking to retire some of the older ones around 2035 regardless. The entire fleet will reach its end-of-life point around mid 2045. But it sounds like they want to avoid re-licensing and retire them faster, with half the fleet going offline by 2026.

The cap is just saying that they won't be replacing the retired plants with as many new nuclear plants. However, they've already pretty much "phased out" the construction of new nuclear plants via knee-jerk reactionary regulatory ratcheting. The ongoing cost of nuclear plants that were under construction in France magically doubled after Fukushima. More or less because they took a page out of US' book on how to "improve" nuclear safety.

Their plan is obviously geared towards phasing out nuclear, and to hell with the consequences. Their alternative approach is "Spend exorbitant amounts of money every year to use renewables and use less energy", so it's hard to tell what the economics will look like. They won't get anywhere near as much bang for their buck as they would if they built another fleet of standardized nuclear plants.

Heck, even with the doubled costs for their newer plants (~9 billion euros per ~45 TWh/year production with EPRs), it would be an uphill battle to go with renewables instead. They're going to invest 20 billion euros yearly to enact their plan. If they invested those 20 billion euros into building new nuclear capacity, breaking ground with 12 new plants right away, they'd only need to invest 20 billion every year over 6 years in order to completely replace their old nuclear capacity. They could stretch that over 15-20 years comfortably without needing to do any drastic refurbishing of current existing plants.

It can all be summed up as political policy guiding energy policy which guides economic policy which guides environmental policy, which was ostensibly the thing guiding political policy, but thanks to unintended consequences Green-type parties end up being the largest contributors of global warming and a further destroyed environment.

When your "renewable plan" only works if you ignore growing lignite coal usage and burn half your nation's forests, your plan sucks. And if you then claim it's because you're an environmentalist, you should be either be given a dictionary pointing to the word environmentalist, or taken out back and shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pander posted:

When your "renewable plan" only works if you ignore growing lignite coal usage and burn half your nation's forests, your plan sucks.

You see when you burn wood or corn you're putting carbon into the air that was already in the carbon cycle instead of putting carbon into the air that had previously been trapped in the earth in the form of hydrocarbons.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

hobbesmaster posted:

You see when you burn wood or corn you're putting carbon into the air that was already in the carbon cycle instead of putting carbon into the air that had previously been trapped in the earth in the form of hydrocarbons.
I want to punch you in the face over and over again.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pander posted:

It can all be summed up as political policy guiding energy policy which guides economic policy which guides environmental policy, which was ostensibly the thing guiding political policy, but thanks to unintended consequences Green-type parties end up being the largest contributors of global warming and a further destroyed environment.

When your "renewable plan" only works if you ignore growing lignite coal usage and burn half your nation's forests, your plan sucks. And if you then claim it's because you're an environmentalist, you should be either be given a dictionary pointing to the word environmentalist, or taken out back and shot.

I wouldn't blame people for not intrinsically understanding incredibly complex machinery and processes that require graduate studies to truly understand. Instead I would blame the proponents of nuclear energy who, like those in this thread, seem to have abandoned public education in favor of just calling environmentalists stupid and deriding anyone who so much as asks about safety. In fact nuclear supporters in this thread remind me of nothing so much as BlackBerry fans. Both are boosters of failed technology that no one wants, both can't fathom why everyone isn't using their failed technology that no one wants, and both have decided against trying to find out what went wrong and instead have decided that the world must be wrong.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is a place for both renewables and nuclear power, in the case of France, the question I think is far more open since they rely so much of nuclear power. If you take hydro and nuclear together it is quite possible to produce most of a base load with wind and other renewables on top if you had a grid that could manage that energy which France as a very centralized medium sized country could.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It doesn't take a graduate degree to understand "more people have died in windfarm related accidents than nuclear power plant accidents".

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Whats a good book to force nuclear haters to read? I get to pick a book for my book club and since i'm the sole supporter of nuclear technology i've decided to educate everyone but i need a book thats accessible that will hopefully allow them to stop screaming about !RADIATION!.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pander posted:

I want to punch you in the face over and over again.

This is legitimately the actual argument from actual people in the business for why burning trees, excuse me, biomass counts as renewable.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jeffrey posted:

It doesn't take a graduate degree to understand "more people have died in windfarm related accidents than nuclear power plant accidents".

That's not what I'm talking about, allow me to try again. Every human over the age of three understands "fire hot", it's almost as intrinsic to our species as using that fire to burn things is. However most adults, even those with college educations, don't really understand controlled nuclear fission; it's just not something that exists in our day to day lives.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
There was an awesome article published in early 1994 (I'm thinking Konrad Lorenz, but the original author was also an engineer and physicist..) that looked at France's Nuclear infrastructure to determine exactly where the electricity that was being generated was being used for, and looked at the total inefficiencies of the entire system, from Uranium mining, to transportation, refining, plant maintenance and repair, line loss, transformer loss to the end user, and then transportation, conversion, and long-term storage of the reactor waste material.

Further, he also examined the price of electricity and how that had an effect on the increase in the installation of base heating - namely, heating airspaces using baseboard or other resistance-based heating.

The findings were interesting - the construction of another nuclear plant, without adding extra measures to increase space heating efficiencies, or energy conservation - resulted in the use of more nuclear power being used to heat homes and lodgings. The total carbon offset calculated was almost as high if low-efficiency gas furnaces were used to heat individual living spaces.

He then made a great argument about what, exactly, electricity needs to be used for: Unless you have a high-efficiency geothermal system heating your house, heating by electricity is deleterious as you are taking a high-quality energy source (Nuclear energy) and then converting it back into a low quality use (space heating). In contract, natural gas is a low quality power source - when burned in a high-efficiency point-of-use home gas furnace it can obtain much more optimal heating capacity than, say, if it is burned in a gas power plant to generate electricity that then goes to heat living spaces with baseboard heating.

In essence, his solution was not to build more nuclear / power plants in general, but focus on what kinds of energy sources are available, and put them towards the best possible use. Furthermore, local municipalities and communities needed to enact legislation in order to reduce or restrict the waste of high quality energy into simple heating purposes, and how updated local building codes could go a long way to help solve electricity woes.

Electricity => Motors, electronics, orbital plasma cannon batteries, lighting and transportation.

Fossil fuels (wood / gas / oil) => Space heating.

It makes you cringe at how much of oil's total potential as a low-quality power source is wasted on the sheer inefficiency of the internal combustion engine.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 25, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Guigui posted:

There was an awesome article published in early 1994 (I'm thinking Konrad Lorenz, but the original author was also an engineer and physicist..) that looked at France's Nuclear infrastructure to determine exactly where the electricity that was being generated was being used for, and looked at the total inefficiencies of the entire system, from Uranium mining, to transportation, refining, plant maintenance and repair, line loss, transformer loss to the end user, and then transportation, conversion, and long-term storage of the reactor waste material.

Further, he also examined the price of electricity and how that had an effect on the increase in the installation of base heating - namely, heating airspaces using baseboard or other resistance-based heating.

The findings were interesting - the construction of another nuclear plant, without adding extra measures to increase space heating efficiencies, or energy conservation - resulted in the use of more nuclear power being used to heat homes and lodgings. The total carbon offset calculated was almost as high if low-efficiency gas furnaces were used to heat individual living spaces.

He then made a great argument about what, exactly, electricity needs to be used for: Unless you have a high-efficiency geothermal system heating your house, heating by electricity is deleterious as you are taking a high-quality energy source (Nuclear energy) and then converting it back into a low quality use (space heating). In contract, natural gas is a low quality power source - when burned in a high-efficiency point-of-use home gas furnace it can obtain much more optimal heating capacity than, say, if it is burned in a gas power plant to generate electricity that then goes to heat living spaces with baseboard heating.

In essence, his solution was not to build more nuclear / power plants in general, but focus on what kinds of energy sources are available, and put them towards the best possible use. Furthermore, local municipalities and communities needed to enact legislation in order to reduce or restrict the waste of high quality energy into simple heating purposes, and how updated local building codes could go a long way to help solve electricity woes.

Electricity => Motors, electronics, orbital plasma cannon batteries, lighting and transportation.

Fossil fuels (wood / gas / oil) => Space heating.

It makes you cringe at how much of oil's total potential as a low-quality power source is wasted on the sheer inefficiency of the internal combustion engine.
That's an excellent, pragmatic view to take. While the electric and hydrogen innovations have been promising over the past 15 years (and hopefully will someday have 100% market share), gasoline and diesel remain fantastic for family conveyances. Natural gas is fantastic for home heat. Nuclear power is fantastic for consistent uptime in baseload generation. Wind and Solar are excellent in certain locations for self-sustaining/reducing purposes. Some natural gas and oil power generation facilities are necessary as peaking plants.

Numbers are hard. Explaining the scale of energy takes more time and nuance compared to absorbing the notion that RADIATION IS BAD. Even Rachel Maddow, talking about nuclear power, said "any radiation is bad", as though background radiation weren't a thing that exists. It seems around the world that the tens of thousands of died from the Sendai tsunami have been rendered less noteworthy than the nuclear plant crisis that has killed nobody (well, minus a worker who fell to his death).

It's like trying to reconcile how violent crime is far down in America compared to decades ago with the popular perception that violence is out of control.

I explain it to everyone I can. My g/f was anti-nuclear before I talked with her and explained what nuclear power is, how plants work, what the scale of stuff released has been, what scale waste is produced, the emergencies thus far, everything she wants to know and feared about. She didn't really know much about it beyond a vague fear and certainty of its danger. She liked what I said even more when I explained the radioactive output of coal, the difficulty of implementing and paying for wind/solar everywhere, the deteriorating German solution. She's now in the "why hasn't anyone explained this to people" camp.

:shrug:

I'm hoping Pandora's Promise is good and accessible. It'd be nice to see it on Netflix streaming ASAP, since I doubt it'll get wide theatrical release.

Pander fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 26, 2013

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 28, 2013

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Arghy posted:

Whats a good book to force nuclear haters to read? I get to pick a book for my book club and since i'm the sole supporter of nuclear technology i've decided to educate everyone but i need a book thats accessible that will hopefully allow them to stop screaming about !RADIATION!.

It's this book (free) http://www.withouthotair.com/reviews.html

Maybe just the nuclear chapter, but the whole thing is pretty fascinating.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Hasters posted:

That's not what I'm talking about, allow me to try again. Every human over the age of three understands "fire hot", it's almost as intrinsic to our species as using that fire to burn things is. However most adults, even those with college educations, don't really understand controlled nuclear fission; it's just not something that exists in our day to day lives.

People could understand fission, fuel cycles, how waste occurs and how to make bombs (and thus strengthen nuclear designs against proliferation) with gruesome detail. And yet I am almost 100% certain their anti-nuclear poeition would not change.

It's because they can't rationalize in terms of comparison.

If I really wanted to educate people about nuclear, I'd first need to learn how to educate people to think critically. How can I convince people that there's a better solution, based on comparisons and relativity, when the very concept of what makes something a more desirable approach is totally alien to them?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's why infographics like the one comparing the amount of uranium dispersed when consuming coal to the amount needed to generate the same amount of power as that coal are so useful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

That's why infographics like the one comparing the amount of uranium dispersed when consuming coal to the amount needed to generate the same amount of power as that coal are so useful.

It's not just one pellet of uranium vs 1 ton of coal type comparisons. It needs to be a picture of train cars delivering coal. It needs to be mine collapses/explosions. It needs to be the massive volume of smoke, layers of soot, and failing dams of fly ash runoff. Or maybe about how coal contains uranium, which is burned up and distributed freely in the air rather than how waste is contained as in a nuclear plant. People don't really think about coal beyond the vague concept of global warming.

It's like there's a confluence of two mindsets that, despite political impotence in nearly every other facet, currently drive energy policy: one is the 60s generation hippies who hate all things nuclear (largely due to nuclear weapons), and the millennial generation who have essentially been lied to by extreme environmentalists into believing that niche renewables can fuel everything. And the result of such extremism has been the ascendancy of natural gas and the continued survival of coal thanks to the wonderful invisible hand of the free market as renewables inch forward thanks to incredible subsidies.

Education is the most powerful tool, but it is much goddamn harder than it should be for some reason when it comes to nuclear power. It'd take someone with both credibility from all sides and cross-generational appeal, and the only people who fit that bill off the top of my head are Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson. Tyson appreciates nuclear and points out how Fukushima was actually a triumph of strong engineering in the face of an unimaginable disaster, but pushes for solar instead, and Nye essentially ignores Gen IV designs and states we'll always have accidents with nuclear. So...I dunno. Neither really seem to address the problem of "people want power, people will get power, where will they get it from, realistically?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pander posted:

and Nye essentially ignores Gen IV designs and states we'll always have accidents with nuclear.

Do you want him to lie and say there will never be accidents at power plants?

This is the problem with putting scientists and engineers in front of the media. Nothing is ever safe, nothing is ever certain. If you don't have to worry about facts you can be certain of everything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

This is the problem with putting scientists and engineers in front of the media. Nothing is ever safe, nothing is ever certain. If you don't have to worry about facts you can be certain of everything.

Wasn't Nye a Mechanical Engineer? Its literally part of why he'd be scared of nuclear despite the obvious reasons to be pro-nuclear.

To be fair, he isn't lying per se, no form of electricity generation is perfectly safe. But Nuclear goes a long way towards safety compared to Coal and Natural Gas, as well as being far more sustainable.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I didn't want him to lie, I just wanted a bit of perspective. A dam breaking has both a higher probability of occurrence and greater severity than a nuclear plant, well, 'accident'. In both Chernobyl and Fukushima the disaster surrounding the radioactive release killed far more people than the radiation released.

I dislike the black and white PRO or ANTI nuclear debate, when it's far more productive to focus on the fact it, like everything else, exists in grays, and those grays are important. The pro does a lovely job laying out those grays in the context they need, and the anti side does everything in its power to wipe away the grays and focus on the black. Frustrating.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

hobbesmaster posted:

Here's my favourite example: Carl Sagan discussing the (then-controversial) RTGs aboard the Galileo probe

Key points:
  • he discusses the risks (even implausible worst-possible risks, like moon microbes killing all life on Earth) candidly, rather than concealing them in the interest of persuasion
  • he presents statistical evidence (e.g. number of hypothetical deaths) but typically follows it up with human reflection (to avoid alienating readers)
  • he advises readers to be skeptical of experts, government officials, and industry spokesmen. But he reminds us that skepticism is not the same thing as reflexive disbelief.
  • he points out that the dissenting party is late in joining the discussion (they had essentially ignored the Voyager probes) but he identifies some of the reasons why they are now joining the discussion, and does not dismiss them for being non-scientists. He even welcomes the participation of faith-based groups in the discussion.
  • he does not fetishize technology. He suggests that RTGs are required for the Galileo mission profile, but argues that they are unnecessary and inappropriate for terrestrial satellites.
  • his central argument is that the issue is a "judgment call" - reasonable individuals can weigh the evidence against their own principles, and come to different answers. His main goal is to improve the understanding on which they make their judgment (for example, by debunking the "50 lbs of plutonium kills every single human" story). He invites the reader to consider whether their stance on Galileo is consistent with their evaluation of other risks faced by human societies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GulMadred posted:

Here's my favourite example: Carl Sagan discussing the (then-controversial) RTGs aboard the Galileo probe

Key points:
  • he discusses the risks (even implausible worst-possible risks, like moon microbes killing all life on Earth) candidly, rather than concealing them in the interest of persuasion
  • he presents statistical evidence (e.g. number of hypothetical deaths) but typically follows it up with human reflection (to avoid alienating readers)
  • he advises readers to be skeptical of experts, government officials, and industry spokesmen. But he reminds us that skepticism is not the same thing as reflexive disbelief.
  • he points out that the dissenting party is late in joining the discussion (they had essentially ignored the Voyager probes) but he identifies some of the reasons why they are now joining the discussion, and does not dismiss them for being non-scientists. He even welcomes the participation of faith-based groups in the discussion.
  • he does not fetishize technology. He suggests that RTGs are required for the Galileo mission profile, but argues that they are unnecessary and inappropriate for terrestrial satellites.
  • his central argument is that the issue is a "judgment call" - reasonable individuals can weigh the evidence against their own principles, and come to different answers. His main goal is to improve the understanding on which they make their judgment (for example, by debunking the "50 lbs of plutonium kills every single human" story). He invites the reader to consider whether their stance on Galileo is consistent with their evaluation of other risks faced by human societies.

Carl Sagan was one of the few men I'd suspect capable of being able to carefully balance the argument like that.

That is an excellent paper, thanks for linking it!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That Sagan article is beautiful, as always.

Did this get much press in the US, if any? How's it looking?

World's Largest Solar Thermal Energy Plant Opens in California
http://inhabitat.com/ivanpah-worlds-largest-solar-thermal-energy-plant-starts-production-in-california

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hobo Erotica posted:

That Sagan article is beautiful, as always.

Did this get much press in the US, if any? How's it looking?

World's Largest Solar Thermal Energy Plant Opens in California
http://inhabitat.com/ivanpah-worlds-largest-solar-thermal-energy-plant-starts-production-in-california

It generates nothing next to a gas, coal, or nuclear plant, and takes up about the same size if not more.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It generates nothing next to a gas, coal, or nuclear plant, and takes up about the same size if not more.

To demonstrate how insane the scale difference consider this. GE aviation produces versions of the turbofans that power airliners for stationary applications called turboshafts. A 747 can be powered by 4 CF6 engines. A turboshaft version of this is the LMS100. That 100 is for 100MW.

This new powerplant at full capacity is 396MW.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

To demonstrate how insane the scale difference consider this. GE aviation produces versions of the turbofans that power airliners for stationary applications called turboshafts. A 747 can be powered by 4 CF6 engines. A turboshaft version of this is the LMS100. That 100 is for 100MW.

This new powerplant at full capacity is 396MW.

So....there is a 747 equivalent parked in the desert.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

So....there is a 747 equivalent parked in the desert.

And it's only got a 3500 acre footprint.

This is why we're so completely hosed with solar and wind.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Land is a concern, as there are numerous species that can be impacted by such a development (the article itself mentions an endangered species of tortoise). But it is nowhere near as disconcerting as the water intake required. They may not be as efficient, may be more expensive, but at least you can claim PV cells don't take so much water as CSP. Yeesh.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Which means the Mojave could fit nearly 9,000 of them, 3 times the existing power generation in the US. There's space.

If* the costs can be brought down to be in line with other sources of generation, there's nothing wrong with solar thermal. It's not a reason to exclude nuclear, but why is the space thing such a big issue? Is the water usage that high compared to nuclear?

*Big if, yes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Which means the Mojave could fit nearly 9,000 of them, 3 times the existing power generation in the US. There's space.

And you don't see why demolishing an entire ecosystem and its native species might be a bad thing?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If* the costs can be brought down to be in line with other sources of generation, there's nothing wrong with solar thermal. It's not a reason to exclude nuclear, but why is the space thing such a big issue? Is the water usage that high compared to nuclear?

*Big if, yes.

I imagine both that water usage in desert environments is a contentious issue (even if you pump it in) and that the Mojave is not some magical wasteland where nothing lives and no ecosystems are disrupted by it.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I prefer to think of it as impressive that we can design a system of mirrors to heat a boiler to produce the same power as a Jumbo Jet. Enough power to make hundreds of tonnes of steel fly.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Because these technologies are never going to get any better and certainly not if we install a lot of them and get better at the process. Because its simply impossible for the solar technologies to get any better than what they are already.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Obviously nobody is going to put three times the power generation already in place in the entire country in one place - the point is that even though it is relatively space intensive, it could be expanded to provide power for everyone in that region and still only take a fraction of the available space if the price can be brought down. Animal habitats and other local environmental concerns should be heeded as much as possible, and carbon emissions are negligible after construction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KennyTheFish posted:

I prefer to think of it as impressive that we can design a system of mirrors to heat a boiler to produce the same power as a Jumbo Jet. Enough power to make hundreds of tonnes of steel fly.

It's 5.5 square miles of mirrors so it's not really that impressive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

It's 5.5 square miles of mirrors so it's not really that impressive.

Overflight might be an issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Frogmanv2 posted:

Because these technologies are never going to get any better and certainly not if we install a lot of them and get better at the process. Because its simply impossible for the solar technologies to get any better than what they are already.

I get a bare minimum (100% efficiency) of 400 acres to generate 400MW based on an irradiance of 250W/m^2. Sure that's an order of magnitude, but uh, yeah.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

We're talking about ~ 400 MW, which is a fair whack, and about half of one of the plants you mentioned, not really 'nearly nothing'.

Are you including the land footprint of the mine etc in the comparison?

Assuming we prefer not mining and burning fossil fuels, what's the biggest size differnce you'd tolerate to make it worth while?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hobo Erotica posted:

We're talking about ~ 400 MW, which is a fair whack, and about half of one of the plants you mentioned, not really 'nearly nothing'.

Are you including the land footprint of the mine etc in the comparison?

Assuming we prefer not mining and burning fossil fuels, what's the biggest size differnce you'd tolerate to make it worth while?

Nobody is saying its a bad thing.

But lets take a quick look:

SEGS Solar Generating Plant: 1,600 Acres @ 398 MW
Sequoyah Nuclear Generating Station: 525 Acres @ 2,333 MW

So, for the acreage, I get 4.44 MW per Acre for nuclear, and 0.249 MW per acre for solar.

In other words, for the 1,600 acres I could get 7,104 MW. And 130.725MW for equivalent acreage compared to the acreage that Sequoyah Nuclear Generating Plant. And that is an OLD 1980s era plant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also unfortunately these solar plants are going to require really long transmission lines and probably not be able to be operated by the same company if they can even be in the same state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Overflight might be an issue.

Why would that matter? The sun isn't focused on some point up in the sky and temporarily blocking a solar thermal plant won't cause a drop in output.

Install Windows posted:

And you don't see why demolishing an entire ecosystem and its native species might be a bad thing?

Which method of power generation has no environmental footprint?