Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Mary is way better than it had any right to be. Basically, it's about the goth-punk version of Zooey Deschanel being a surgical student who gets into Extreme Body Modification (on others, not herself).

I went into it expecting a quality level and campiness somewhere between TROMA and Repo: The Genetic Opera but it's actually sort of a serious film. There's a lot of humor, mostly dark, but it's also a well-shot, decent looking budget, very well-cast thriller. Now, after the first 40 minutes it does get kind of zany, and the last 20 minutes definitely do, but overall I enjoyed it tremendously.

Trigger Warning: While EBM is in this movie, almost zero actual surgery is shown, and the only EBM you really see is stuff that isn't very gross at all (people with forked tongues, horns, those corset-back "piercing" things). Some more gross stuff is talked about but not often. I've known plenty of EBM people but I consider most of it silly and/or really gross and I wasn't ever squicked out by this film (though the "Betty Boop girl" is fuckin' creepy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
EBM?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Extreme Boby Modification

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Extreme Body Modification?

How is "Our Idiot Brother"? It seems like it just got added to Netflix and I think I heard good things about it when it came out?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I think I may have just watched the worst movie ever made (exempting student films and other zero budget stuff).

I don't even know how to describe it. Literally nothing worked in the entire movie and by the end I had no idea what the point was supposed to be. It's like someone with zero understanding of film as a medium put a lot of time and effort into trying to make this really profound and intense film and missed the mark by so much that it's just baffling to watch. It's not funny or scary or dramatic or even really boring, just insanely perplexing. Like an alien tried to make a movie or something.

It's called Lizzie and it's vaguely about Lizzie Borden I guess.

Somebody else watch it and see if you feel the same way.

precision posted:

Trigger Warning: While EBM is in this movie, almost zero actual surgery is shown, and the only EBM you really see is stuff that isn't very gross at all (people with forked tongues, horns, those corset-back "piercing" things). Some more gross stuff is talked about but not often. I've known plenty of EBM people but I consider most of it silly and/or really gross and I wasn't ever squicked out by this film (though the "Betty Boop girl" is fuckin' creepy).

I have a high tolerance for gore but the severed labia falling on the floor made me a little queasy.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

Master_Odin posted:

How is "Our Idiot Brother"? It seems like it just got added to Netflix and I think I heard good things about it when it came out?

I liked it a lot. It's a very nice, simple film that will make you feel good.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Master_Odin posted:

I watched this the other day and really liked it. The premise seemed dumb, but they pulled it off and the movie was incredibly charming.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Pierat posted:

I liked it a lot. It's a very nice, simple film that will make you feel good.

I liked it too, pretty cute movie. Worth the watch.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Did anyone notice a change in Closed Captioning on Netflix recently? I'm not sure what happened, it may be on my end. They used to be yellow in a certain font, and work really well. Recently, they all got changed to this system that's the color white and a different font, and it streams in sync with the soundtrack differently now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Master_Odin posted:

Zooey Daschanel (sp?) and Rasheda Jones kiss at one point. That was the highlight of the film for me.

Paul Rudd is cool I guess.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So what are the chances of Netflix getting Utopia? Its the best drat sci fi I have seen and I would love there to be an easier way to get friends to see this in America. Netflix has had other channel four shows in the past such as Ultra Violet. But with Black Mirror and this they really need to get a new deal going. You can't see these outside of UK however and its a drat shame. American channels passed Netflix could win big.

The soundtrack is bizarre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZYVb8Q5i9w
The show floored me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0 First 10 mins or so.
If you see it go in blind as possible and just know its not for kids.
If you love conspiracy theorys, 12 monkeys, x-files give this a shot when this hits Netflix.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 26, 2013

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

Michael Scott posted:

Did anyone notice a change in Closed Captioning on Netflix recently? I'm not sure what happened, it may be on my end. They used to be yellow in a certain font, and work really well. Recently, they all got changed to this system that's the color white and a different font, and it streams in sync with the soundtrack differently now.

Yes. It's poo poo. Way too hard to read and just plain ugly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

So what are the chances of Netflix getting Utopia?

I watched Utopia when it aired, it was good but it felt like 4 episodes worth of story dragged out to 6 episodes.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Zooey Daschanel (sp?) and Rasheda Jones kiss at one point. That was the highlight of the film for me.

Paul Rudd is cool I guess.

This is pretty much the most honest review of this movie possible. I agree 110%.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

American Mary was quite good but it felt like they didn't know how to end the film. The last ten minutes just sort of...happen.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My wife and I watched It's a Disaster and both loved it.

"After gathering for Sunday brunch at one of their homes, four couples realize they are stranded together as the world may be coming to an end during an apocalyptic crisis. Nevertheless, they continue to deal with their various relationship issues."

Starring David Cross, Julia Stiles and America Ferrera.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

mds2 posted:

"After gathering for Sunday brunch at one of their homes, four couples realize they are stranded together as the world may be coming to an end during an apocalyptic crisis. Nevertheless, they continue to deal with their various relationship issues."

I really enjoyed that one as well. David Cross' character at the end was great.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Chicolini posted:

Yes. It's poo poo. Way too hard to read and just plain ugly.

Yeah what the hell man? The subtitle system before was great, I picked up so many whispered lines that were lost before. The new ones are nigh unreadable, super ugly, and I just turn them off.

There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgement of the change online and no one else seems to have noticed it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah what the hell man? The subtitle system before was great, I picked up so many whispered lines that were lost before. The new ones are nigh unreadable, super ugly, and I just turn them off.

There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgement of the change online and no one else seems to have noticed it.

It's not effecting everyone. People in this thread have been noticing theirs going back and forth for a month or so now. Who knows what's going on?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mds2 posted:

I liked this movie, though up until the hilarious last ten minutes it's hard to point to a really great standout joke or moment. I loved the subtle ongoing joke that the couple who owned the house disliked Julia Stiles' character so much that, by the end, they literally chose suicide over the possibility of being the only ones left alive if it meant she lived too. Probably my favorite bit.

Also I'm pretty sure in the later exterior shots of the house you can see their hazmat-suited neighbor dead on their porch which I thought was a nice touch.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

calandryll posted:

I really enjoyed that one as well. David Cross' character at the end was great.

I agree. The ultimate touch of irony. I thought it was hilarious and way out of left field.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They added season 3 of Louie FINALLY just now, everybody watch it, it's the best season of an already incredible show.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

They added season 3 of Louie FINALLY just now, everybody watch it, it's the best season of an already incredible show.

I'll give it a shot. I love his standup but I just can't get into the show. It has some brilliant parts/episodes but it's been mostly a miss for me.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

GonSmithe posted:

What's with the descriptions of the episodes for season 3? They are all like five words long.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

What's with the descriptions of the episodes for season 3? They are all like five words long.

I think it's intentional. Especially with the first episode.

"Barney" (the first segment of Barney/Never) is my favorite thing the show has done so far, give that a watch. The Late Show episodes are great too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Going in with as little information as possible is the best way to watch them, anyway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I don't watch much anime, but Netflix has Samurai 7 up. The series is based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, and is remarkably well done. It is set in the future yet I still felt it did a good job of catching the look and feel of a Samurai film. Give it a shot if you're looking for a series to enjoy.

(I was going to put a trailer in here so you could see some examples of the gorgeous animation, but they're all horrible fan tributes.)

hcreight posted:

I think it's intentional. Especially with the first episode.

"Barney" (the first segment of Barney/Never) is my favorite thing the show has done so far, give that a watch. The Late Show episodes are great too.

God the Late Shows were amazing. I was recall watching them thinking how "Lynchian" they were, and BAM DAVID loving LYNCH RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF LOUIE!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

GonSmithe posted:

Yes. I love this guy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched all of Season 1 of Louie after I got my wisdom teeth out. I think the guy's pretty funny, but I couldn't get into the show it all. I just didn't find it all that funny, and that was while I was doped up on painkillers.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I stopped watching Louie after the first few episodes because it seemed like it stopped being funny and just became sad stories about life being kinda lovely, like Louie being threatened by jocks or flashing back to Catholic school being scary. Does the show continue in that vein in the later seasons? I don't mind a show being dark, I'd just rather it be a funny dark.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Erebus posted:

I stopped watching Louie after the first few episodes because it seemed like it stopped being funny and just became sad stories about life being kinda lovely, like Louie being threatened by jocks or flashing back to Catholic school being scary. Does the show continue in that vein in the later seasons? I don't mind a show being dark, I'd just rather it be a funny dark.

It's a mix, but it does lean more towards the dramatic. It just depends on the episode.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched all of Season 1 of Louie after I got my wisdom teeth out. I think the guy's pretty funny, but I couldn't get into the show it all. I just didn't find it all that funny, and that was while I was doped up on painkillers.

Season 2 makes Season 1 look like trash, Season 3 is also a considerable step up from 2.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Erebus posted:

Season 3 definitely feels like he was coming from a less depressed place, it can still be dark and dour but a lot of the ongoing arcs are optimistic if not outright happy in the end.

At the very least watch eps. 10-12, which are basically a made-for-TV movie about Louie being considered to replace David Letterman on The Tonight Show.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Season 2 makes Season 1 look like trash, Season 3 is also a considerable step up from 2.

Is is Season 2 or 3 where he starts having a (somewhat) larger crew help him with the production? Maybe it was just an editor or something, and I think I honestly missed season 3 in its entirety when it aired.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Parachute posted:

Is is Season 2 or 3 where he starts having a (somewhat) larger crew help him with the production? Maybe it was just an editor or something, and I think I honestly missed season 3 in its entirety when it aired.

I don't know about the crew, but he hired Susan Morse, Woody Allen's old editor, for season 3.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

Probably, it's just that the scope of the show changes somewhat. The Doug Stanhope episode made me go from thinking "this is a pretty good show" to "this is a great show".

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Louie's a weird show because he has such a negative outlook but the show is about some pretty deep stuff once you get past the outer layer. There were some legitimately uncomfortable moments here and there dealing with real life matters. I'm really excited to hear season 3 is up.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Netflix has now announced that Super HD (lightly compressed 1080p) and 3D is available to all ISPs.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/26/netflix-expands-super-hd-and-3-d-streaming-to-all-of-its-members/

Anyone know where to find a list of the movies that support this?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Movies say "SUPERHD" when I pass over them. Watching Cave of Forgotten Dreams in 3D right now- very neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love the Louie ep with Tom Noonan explaining the whole Passion of Christ thing, good lord. Every time I watch it I am just :stare:

Tom Noonan owns

• Locked thread