Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I sincerely hope that no one really thought Rick Reilly should be elected or promoted for anything.

What a weird choice of words. Elected for what? Does that mean someone thinks Rick Reilly should be loving President?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Somebody summarize or copy/paste because clicking that link I ain't

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

My inbox flowed red this week after my column on the flap over the Washington Redskins name. You’d have thought I shot a boxful of kittens. Or saved a boxful. Some thought I should be fired. Some thought I should be elected. Some called me racist. Some thanked me for honoring a race.

I still don’t know whether “redskin” is a racist term, I just know that on many Native American reservations, they don’t think so. Three reservation high schools I spoke with, in fact, use “Redskins” as their team name and wear it with pride.

This whole Redskins thing is an exposed nerve. It triggers passion on every topic from race relations to political correctness. Everybody and their cabbie seems to want to weigh in on it, sometimes like anvils through bay windows.

I’ve even felt strongly both ways. In 1991, for Sports Illustrated, I wrote that it was time to change the name. But in the 22 years since, I’ve grown to understand that it’s not up to me. It should be an issue decided by Native Americans, not this sudden wave of almost entirely white, politically correct sports writers.

For some of you, if even one person is insulted, that’s enough to dump it. For others, it’s a non-issue that only smokescreens so many real problems Native Americans have. For still others, it’s just further proof that I should bathe in quicksand.

I know one thing, though. The larger the social media tsunami grows, the easier it comes for people to react easily and quickly, the more I notice a backlash against any stance that doesn’t fit the Consensus Opinion. Is that what you want from your sports columnists, someone to simply parrot what the cool kids are saying? Because that will never be me. There’s a word to describe fish that only float with the current: “dead.”

**dumb reader emails here*

That’s just the point. “Redskins” is not a word that comes up on reservations, according to the people I interviewed. They only hear it as part of their own schools’ teams or the NFL team in Washington. Most have no idea where it came from. (Linguists disagree.) It only symbolizes their teams and the pride they feel in their school. To take that away just because a few find it offensive? I’m not convinced that’s fair.

**more emails**

That final line -- “Kind of like a reservation” -- seems to have either infuriated people or delighted them. A lot of readers said it was insulting to Native Americans. Some said it opened their eyes to a new way to look at the problem. One blogger wrote that it was “a fireable offense.” Oh, please. Largely white media deciding what’s best for Native Americans, putting up verbal borders to “protect” them, as though they can’t stand up for themselves, has a scent of it, which is all I alluded to.

**lots of bullshit**

I have zero doubt the Redskins will change the name sooner or later. This idea that “It just SOUNDS like an insult,” right or wrong, is not going to go away. And the PC pressure never lets up, it only doubles and re-doubles. The irony is that the Redskins' much-reviled owner, Daniel Snyder, will make millions on the new name, the new logo and the selling of hundreds of thousands of new shirts, hats and license plate holders. Who’s ready to buy a Washington Presidents toilet seat?

**sigh**

I get that, but why is the pressure only on the Redskins to change? Why not your stomach-turning Braves, the Cleveland Indians, and Florida State Seminoles, whose foam tomahawk chant is purely Hollywood and has no origin in Native culture.

**zzzzzzz**

There is a pro soccer team in Amsterdam -- Ajax -- that began letting itself be known unofficially as “The Jews,” supposedly because many of its fans were Jewish. The nickname caught on. Their fans began tattooing the Star of David on themselves and carrying giant 100-feet-wide banners with the Star of David on them. Predictably, fans of their opponents began baiting them with anti-Semitic chants and signs, and it all got even uglier. Who thought of the name doesn’t matter. What matters is how many Native Americans feel they’re being insulted. A few? Maybe it’s not worth changing. A lot? Get rid of it.

edit: At the very bottom of the page, after the article

SPONSORED HEADLINES
The 10 Beer-Drinkingest States In America (TheStreet)

The_Hat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 26, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The_Hat posted:

I still don’t know whether “redskin” is a racist term, I just know that on many Native American reservations, they don’t think so. Three reservation high schools I spoke with, in fact, use “Redskins” as their team name and wear it with pride.

Rick Reilly is a LF fake-poster circa 2009?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The_Hat posted:

That’s just the point. “Redskins” is not a word that comes up on reservations, according to the people I interviewed.

how does this not set off a thousand alarms in your head

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

quote:

I’ve even felt strongly both ways. In 1991, for Sports Illustrated, I wrote that it was time to change the name. But in the 22 years since, I’ve grown to understand that it’s not up to me. It should be an issue decided by Native Americans, not this sudden wave of almost entirely white, politically correct sports writers.
durr durr durr durr durr

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

how does this not set off a thousand alarms in your head

The ultimate test would be for Rick Reilly to walk up to a group of Native youth and say "Sup Redskins?" If he doesn't get his rear end kicked, he may have a point.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Rick Reilly brings shame to the state of Colorado.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chris Gaines posted:

Rick Reilly brings shame to the state of Colorado.

Is he from Colorado Springs?

Colorado Springs is like the state's official douchebag ranch. Ever few years they set it on fire to cull the herd.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think he's actually from Boulder, which is the complete opposite of Colorado Springs in every way possible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chris Gaines posted:

I think he's actually from Boulder, which is the complete opposite of Colorado Springs in every way possible.

But also equally as terrible.

I wish more states instituted the "Put every type of douchebag in their own containment zone" mentality like CO did.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Boulder's not as bad as Colorado Springs because the Boulder equivalent of Focus on the Family just sells homemade hemp necklaces

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

Boulder's not as bad as Colorado Springs because the Boulder equivalent of Focus on the Family just sells homemade hemp necklaces

What Colorado Springs calls Jesus, Boulder calls Gaia

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I might be conflating things, but I'm pretty sure anyone could be a Seminole. What with "Seminole" not really being the name of a Native American group (they were the Creek, Choctaw, and some others). I thought it meant something like renegade and is just a Creek word.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sash! posted:

I might be conflating things, but I'm pretty sure anyone could be a Seminole. What with "Seminole" not really being the name of a Native American group (they were the Creek, Choctaw, and some others). I thought it meant something like renegade and is just a Creek word.

Honestly though, the whole "I found a member of the minority who isn't offended!" defense is the laziest possible response to accusations of racism.

There have been Jewish Nazis and Black Klansman. You can always find a handful of people of any race who will support something or other no matter how insane it is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly though, the whole "I found a member of the minority who isn't offended!" defense is the laziest possible response to accusations of racism.

There have been Jewish Nazis and Black Klansman. You can always find a handful of people of any race who will support something or other no matter how insane it is.

gently caress Whitey

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Black Klansman
I...what

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

It is real. Trust me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

(The one I know of was a cop working on undercover hate crime investigations)

There's also a thread on Stormfront talking about the BSSOTKK (Black Secret Society of the Klu Klux Klan). I suspect that their anecdotes may, just may not be rooted in truths.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 27, 2013

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chichevache posted:

It is real. Trust me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

(The one I know of was a cop working on undercover hate crime investigations)

There's also a thread on Stormfront talking about the BSSOTKK (Black Secret Society of the Klu Klux Klan).

I suspect that these anecdotes may, just may not be rooted in truths.

I remember when I was in 6th or 7th grade, about 11 years ago, I was doing a report on the KKK so I decided to visit their website. It was covered with horrible clipart of black and white rainbows and a ridiculous screed about the KKK's agenda. You see, their goal wasn't to get rid of black people, it was to keep races pure by not mixing, just like god intends. The grey scale rainbows symbolized this, as they did not mix colors. In the middle of the page was a smiling old black man, supposedly a member of theirs. The caption below the picture was a description of how he joined the KKK because he too wanted the races separate, and did not believe whites and blacks should marry.

:shepicide:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The point being... there are like 7 billion people on the earth. You can find literally someone who will represent or defend anything.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The point being... there are like 7 billion people on the earth. You can find literally someone who will represent or defend anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c97c_2x88iU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Scott Kacsmar wrote another dopey thing on his blog about whether or not Aaron Rodgers is "clutch". Comments on his blog are moderated, so of course the comments complaining about his garish color scheme got through and replies using the relatively simple math taught in a sophomore level calculus-based statistics class to criticize his arguments vanish into the luminiferous æther. Look how dumb I am, commenting on blogs of ESPN hacks :sigh:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Rick Reilly is an unethical piece of poo poo

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-american-indian-father-in-law-says-reilly-1443599450

quote:

Last month, ESPN's Rick Reilly came out in support of the Redskins' name. The backbone of his argument? Father-in-law Bob Burns, a Blackfeet elder, who supposedly said he doesn't care about the team name. Burns has written a response for Indian Country Today Media Network, and oh man.

Here's Burns:

quote:

So you can imagine my dismay when I saw my name and words used to defend the racist Washington Redskins name. My son-in-law, ESPN’s Rick Reilly, completely misunderstood the conversation we had, quoting me as saying “the whole issue is so silly. The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

But that’s not what I said.

What I actually said is that “it’s silly in this day and age that this should even be a battle — if the name offends someone, change it.” He failed to include my comments that the term “redskins” demeans Indians, and historically is insulting and offensive, and that I firmly believe the Washington Redskins should change their name.

When Rick’s article came out, it upset me to be portrayed as an “Uncle Tom” in support of this racial slur. I asked him to correct the record. He has not, so I must do it myself.

Burns closes by saying, "Let me be clear: The racial slur 'redskins' is not okay with me. It’s never going to be okay with me. It’s inappropriate, damaging and racist. In the memory of our Blackfeet relatives, it’s time to change the name."

Twisting quotes to make a person express the exact opposite of what they said is, at many outlets, a fireable offense. Doing it to your wife's father might be even more awkward.
Absolutely a fireable offense, no question. Anyone actually think ESPN will do it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rick Reilly's Native American father-in-law says he was completely misquoted; destroys Reilly's article.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/10/blackfeet-elder-says-rick-reilly-misquoted-him-wants-redskins-banned-151696

lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think so. Shame it didn't come out earlier in the day, as ESPN would definitely have this all over their talk shows which have been hammering the team lately over the name. Ah well, tomorrow then.

Also, I love, love, love this development.

E: Ohhhh yeah, top trending thing on twitter at the moment, this is beautiful.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 10, 2013

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I'm way too happy about the potential end to a mans career

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hahaha. God gently caress Rick Reilly.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Rick Reilly is a dick. Reilly.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Between this and the Lennay Kekua story, I wish there was a Deadspin for real life

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

It is unquestionable that Rick Reilly should be fired for such a massive breach of ethics which is why I think ESPN is going to do jack poo poo except maybe make him issue an apology.

On twitter.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Rogue Elephant posted:

It is unquestionable that Rick Reilly should be fired for such a massive breach of ethics which is why I think ESPN is going to do jack poo poo except maybe make him issue an apology.

Is it starry-eyed optimism in me that thinks maybe, just maybe, ESPN can use this as a way to fire him with cause and get out of their rifuckingdiculous contract with him?

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm just flabbergasted that there isn't a mention of it on their front page. Not a peep.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rogue Elephant posted:

On twitter.

They didn't even do anything to Craig James. CJ left to run for Congress and when he wanted to come back they just said "no thanks".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jason McIntyre, Editor in chief of the Big Lead / former ESPN writer says ESPN will have an announcement about Reilly shortly.

Maybe not firing him yet, but this is exploding all over him and I am proud to join this torch wielding mob

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It really bothers me that ESPN is the biggest market of anything in the world and their ethical, journalistic and general standards are less than a monthly free news pamphlet that you find at small town bait-n-tackle shops during the summer

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

sweet thursday posted:

It really bothers me that ESPN is the biggest market of anything in the world and their ethical, journalistic and general standards are less than a monthly free news pamphlet that you find at small town bait-n-tackle shops during the summer

Well, because they are the biggest in the world, they don't have to care as much because people will read it anyway

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wonder how many of those response letters he posted for his followup column were misquoted...

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Febreeze posted:

Well, because they are the biggest in the world, they don't have to care as much because people will read it anyway

When you get to a certain extreme, I guess the regular laws governing life get flipped upside down. Like in economics, usually a ridiculously high price on something will lower demand, unless the price is so high that it in itself becomes a reason to pay a stupid amount of money for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Kalli posted:

I wonder how many of those response letters he posted for his followup column were misquoted...

Probably none? It's not too hard to cherry-pick response letters that fit your viewpoint when you probably get a poo poo ton of them.

• Locked thread