Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

NovaPolice posted:

how big can you make levels in Doom source-ports? Like, before it gets all chuggy and the engine freaks out?

ZDoom and its forks are kind of wonky about this. Open up Doombuilder and you can theoretically make a 65535x65535 room, which is the maximum size you can make, but if you try and play it you're not going to get very far.
If the playing field is larger than 32767x32767 units, there's going to be Problems. It's not going to be chuggy, but the engine is definitely going to freak out.
Hell, even creating a open sector larger than 10922 units is going to cause Problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The new Shadow Warrior gets giant thumbs up from RPS, primarily getting credit for returning to what made the 1990s BUILD games so fun.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/26/wot-i-think-shadow-warrior/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How big is SKYMAYBE.WAD? It had a reputation for crashing Doom.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
How much of that reputation was earned through the "DO NOT OPEN" door that crashed the game on purpose with a hacked "told you so" error message? :v:

(The Sky May Be is unironically one of my favorite WADs and I firmly believe that BLESSED.DEH is the greatest gameplay mod ever made)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

The new Shadow Warrior gets giant thumbs up from RPS, primarily getting credit for returning to what made the 1990s BUILD games so fun.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/26/wot-i-think-shadow-warrior/

My review is up on Indie Statik now. I'm not quite as heavy on the gushing praise, but it's still a really good game. I really don't think it's an old-school shooter. It has elements of one, but it's a pretty unique formula all round. There's potential for it to reach proper perfection in a sequel.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Dominic White posted:

My review is up on Indie Statik now. I'm not quite as heavy on the gushing praise, but it's still a really good game. I really don't think it's an old-school shooter. It has elements of one, but it's a pretty unique formula all round. There's potential for it to reach proper perfection in a sequel.

I've heard it has comparisons to Painkiller and Bulletstorm, which sounds just lovely. Can't wait to play it after getting off work.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
For reference - I thought Painkiller was just okay and despised Hard Reset. (Bullet Storm too, actually)

But Shadow Warrior is fun! Playing on Insane difficulty the basic enemies are beefy, but not frustratingly so. You just need to make every shot and swing count, and learn to love your dash because the game is incredibly generous with the AoE on their swings. So far my biggest complaint is that they insist on doing the stupid fade to greyscale poo poo when you get low on HP, which not only ruins the visuals but makes it much harder to pick out enemies doing something like prepping a ranged attack from a distance. Hoping someone finds a .ini tweak to remove that!

e: I'm not sure playing on Insane difficulty first is the best way to enjoy the game, but it's really only the first fight that's sketchy before you have access to all the basic tools. Also there was a greyed-out 'EX Mode' and 'Hero Mode' in the game start menu so it looks like there's some replayability.

Geight fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 26, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Geight posted:

e: I'm not sure playing on Insane difficulty first is the best way to enjoy the game, but it's really only the first fight that's sketchy before you have access to all the basic tools. Also there was a greyed-out 'EX Mode' and 'Hero Mode' in the game start menu so it looks like there's some replayability.

One of the things that disappointed me with the game is that EX mode is a bare-bones New Game Plus. Restart the game on the same difficulty, but with all your weapons and upgrades. Heroic Mode is basically playing the game locked to Insane difficulty, but without checkpoints. One life per level.

It's a great game, but there's holes in there that look almost exactly like an arena survival mode, and a Devil May Cry style NG+ with new enemy placement.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

It's a great game, but there's holes in there that look almost exactly like an arena survival mode, and a Devil May Cry style NG+ with new enemy placement.

Soon, soon... :getin:

(I'm loving the poo poo out of the katana combat in expert mode).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dominic White posted:

Lo Wang Must Die mode.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Lo Wang Must Die mode.

Wang Must Bang.

That was terrible. :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TerminusEst13 posted:

Wang Must Bang.

That was terrible. :v:

Ha, it'd fit in with his standard grade of one-liners. I like the one for your first crossbow kill.

"I hope that got my point across. Ugh, that was terrible.

gently caress your mother."

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have to say that I prefer this Lo Wang to the previous one because he's a douchebag with skills and 90's style.

Please, if you find a hotline miami arcade, spend some money on it!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So how many weapons are in the new Shadow Warrior? This is very important.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Guillermus posted:

I have to say that I prefer this Lo Wang to the previous one because he's a douchebag with skills and 90's style.
It's actually kind of incredibly just how much they've salvaged the character. Yeah, the original Lo Wang could be funny, but usually he'd be more awkward. This one is just fun to play as, and I love how he fucks up his "amazing one-liners" every now and then. It reminds me of Sterling Archer's "uh, oh wait, I had something good for this".

Not to mention the game is a lot of fun.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I haven't had a chance to get home and play yet, but I think I read in one of the reviews that there's 9 total. The sword, 6 guns, the heart and I'm assuming the guardian head.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

As long as it doesn't have the lovely and unnecessary racism it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to salvage what's left of his character.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

As long as it doesn't have the lovely and unnecessary racism it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to salvage what's left of his character.

For what it's worth, the new voice sounds infinitely better than the temp office worker going "Sticky Bomb rike-a you!" and "BANZAAAIIIII".

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 27, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One sword (plus three special moves), six guns (all with altfires), two special weapons harvested from demons and four spells.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Lo Wang2.0 is great because he's a real character and also a loving nerd. A wealthy, violent, foul-mouthed nerd.

I feel like the charged sword strike and the charge spin are pretty much the bread and butter skills for the game, with the roar or the lift kind of being useless. I'm mostly using the latter because it makes the game happy and gives me more karma - It seems too cumbersome to try and combo them in any useful way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

My go-to power the whole way through was the Shield spell, paired with either the crossbow or shotgun. Makes run-and-gun play a lot safer when you only take half damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

One sword (plus three special moves), six guns (all with altfires), two special weapons harvested from demons and four spells.

That sounds nice and rounded. It always bothers me when an FPS arsenal is too derivative. You know, the predictable "melee, pistol, shotgun, rapid fire weapon, rocket launcher, sniper rifle" roster.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, that demon skull looked straight out of Blood and kind of got me re-excited for the new game. I just have so many other games on the backburner I'm trying my damnedest to hold off on buying new games, went a little crazy this year.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zaphod42 posted:

So a big empty 65535x65535 hanger would be fine, but you try to fit all of doom in a single map, and things get pretty gnarly.

Didn't someone actually do this and put the entirety of Doom 2 in a single map?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dominic White posted:

Ha, it'd fit in with his standard grade of one-liners. I like the one for your first crossbow kill.

"I hope that got my point across. Ugh, that was terrible.

gently caress your mother."

Between Blood Dragon and Shadow Warrior, I am SO glad to have some new games that don't take themselves too seriously.

Michael Biehn's constant "For gently caress's sake!" was amazing. :allears:

KozmoNaut posted:

Didn't someone actually do this and put the entirety of Doom 2 in a single map?

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I can't remember if it was Doom 2 or one of the episodes of Doom 1, but yeah. It did work, although I'm pretty sure there were performance problems, and you definitely had to use a sourceport.

Somebody have the .wad I'm talking about? I can't remember the details...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 27, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I can't remember if it was Doom 2 or one of the episodes of Doom 1, but yeah. It did work, although I'm pretty sure there were performance problems, and you definitely had to use a sourceport.

Somebody have the .wad I'm talking about? I can't remember the details...

I think it was called "Memorial"

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It was Doom 2, yes, and it was indeed called Memorial. There weren't performance problems, per se, but they had to fix a bug for it to work in ZDoom because beyond a certain point, bullets no longer worked because they would hit the air in front of you like it was a wall. At least, I think they fixed that bug?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

It was Doom 2, yes, and it was indeed called Memorial. There weren't performance problems, per se, but they had to fix a bug for it to work in ZDoom because beyond a certain point, bullets no longer worked because they would hit the air in front of you like it was a wall. At least, I think they fixed that bug?

Anyone got details on this? I want to know how the hell you could end up with THAT as a bug.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xanthan posted:

Anyone got details on this? I want to know how the hell you could end up with THAT as a bug.

Probably a consequence of the map size limit discussed earlier- the math that checks whether or not a bullet hit any wall breaks down once you get far enough from the origin, and the crazy numbers it comes up with count as a "hit" at a point that doesn't correspond to an actual wall.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

haveblue posted:

Probably a consequence of the map size limit discussed earlier- the math that checks whether or not a bullet hit any wall breaks down once you get far enough from the origin, and the crazy numbers it comes up with count as a "hit" at a point that doesn't correspond to an actual wall.

This is correct. As said earlier, if you get a playing field larger than 32767x32767 units, there's going to be Problems. At that point, collision just doesn't exist anymore--you can go through solid walls, shoot at and hit thin air, glide across floors like ice, walk on ceilings, and more.
It's really quite surreal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Ah damnit, it totally was Doom2. Now that I think about it, I remember opening the door at the end of map01 and seeing map02 just begin instantly without the expected score crawl screen, and it blew my mind. :stare:

Memorial, that was it. I kept thinking of Momento Mori and I was like "no, that's definitely not it"

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Maybe someone could redo memorial as......however many different levels it would need to be to not freak the hell out?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Splitting the maps where the story text usually happens would probably work pretty well (excluding the secret levels, probably).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah damnit, it totally was Doom2. Now that I think about it, I remember opening the door at the end of map01 and seeing map02 just begin instantly without the expected score crawl screen, and it blew my mind. :stare:

How did they handle levels like Dead Simple where the exit is in the middle of a bunch of geometry?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

haveblue posted:

How did they handle levels like Dead Simple where the exit is in the middle of a bunch of geometry?

Teleporters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

If I remember correctly some levels are slightly modified. But its pretty impressive, go download it and see. :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

xanthan posted:

It's the blockmap overflow that Cat Mattress mentioned earlier. It's not so much a bug as it is a consequence of trying to force the engine to do things beyond its limitations. It only happens with hitscan weapons so you're safe with rockets and plasma rounds. The same goes for enemies too. IIRC it actually happens with a Spider Mastermind in a vanilla Doom, but I can't remember which map(s).

Ninja edit: Oh that's a different (related?) thing: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hitscan_attacks_hit_invisible_barriers_in_large_open_areas

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Geight posted:

e: I'm not sure playing on Insane difficulty first is the best way to enjoy the game, but it's really only the first fight that's sketchy before you have access to all the basic tools.

Isn't this true for almost any game? Aside from games where I go in knowing they're on the rather easy side by default (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider) it seems like cranking the difficulty up is a surefire way to make your first experiences really frustrating.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Isn't this true for almost any game? Aside from games where I go in knowing they're on the rather easy side by default (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider) it seems like cranking the difficulty up is a surefire way to make your first experiences really frustrating.

Most games don't have very good difficulty curves - Since posting that, I've become an unstoppable sword-wielding killing machine, whose only downfall is a tendency to hit explosive objects with my sword spin. The only difference if I'd been playing on a lower difficulty is that the first fights wouldn't have been challenging, and maybe my guns would be more of a practical option.

Speaking of difficulty curves, Back to Saturn X with Project MSX has sort of a cool one - Throughout the first half I kept thinking "good thing this is MSX or this would be brutal" and then towards the end I kept wishing for vanilla guns that never needed to reload. I hope the next BTSX wads are just as fun to play with MSX, because looking at the other recommended wads for it they just aren't as high-quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The problem I have with MSX in general is that every close-quarters ambush will result in a death if you don't know it's coming. Even a handful of grunts will completely slaughter you in an instant. The autoshotgun only lasts so long, and then you're pretty much hosed. It's really rough in Back to Saturn X because there's so few shield boosters to fall back on.