Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Neurophonic posted:

Broke Pocket Trains in the first five minutes, laid a new line from Paris to Munich and it asked me to go to the craft menu - which was greyed out and unclickable. At which point my phones hardware buttons stopped responding and I had to do a reboot using the home and power buttons. Going well so far!

This is a known edge case in the tutorial, and will be fixed in the next update. If you re-install it will restart the tutorial (building a new track before being prompted is what breaks it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fazana posted:

Other than Defenders of Texel which I see has its own popular thread, is anyone playing any other "card" games atm that they could recommend? I've been away from tablet gaming for 6 months or so due to having to sell my device and it's hard to pick out anything worthwhile from all the shill websites.

The new one from Mobage launched as a prequel to Blood Brothers looks interesting with its different take on combat, Blood Battalion I believe it is called. Failing that is Fantasica or anything else worth a look?

The supposed generic thread in the MMO house is dead but was pretty much just a Marvel thread anyway.

Has anything ever replaced Tribes as the best city-builder type that wasn't just trying to suck you dry from the moment of install?

Good timing to be getting back into tablet gaming again with Pocket Trains just out and an official Transport Tycoon on the horizon!

My problem with mobage games is that their power creep is usually pretty fast so you always need to buy the new best units, but at the same time they like slot machines with low odds. Like with D.O.T. You could spend 100 dollars and not max the newest unit. Who will be medium tier in 2-3 months. There best odds are worse than PAD's worse.

I played urban rivals for about 3 years before getting bored. It is mostly a web browser game, but the app is great for the dueling part (just use chrome for buying or building decks). It isn't too hard to put together a newbie deck that can get to 1200 in the weekly ELO tournament. And even easier to afford a good bi hourly tournament. $20 spent on Friday when new cards comes out can get you a top tier deck. Spending $1000+ can buy uber units, but they can only be used in specific rooms that you wouldn't want to play in anyways (the rewards are pretty meh).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a pocket trains thread or am I just missing it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DNK posted:

I'm of the opinion that FFT's story is also pretty amazing and goes way beyond "save the world/save the girl". Maybe it's rose tinted glasses, but the whole style: the story being "told" by a narrator and you playing through it, the set-ups for the eventual character-appropriate betrayals (+socioeconomic class issues), and the integration of medieval, steam-punk, and fantasy are all really cool. I like the character development probably the most, as you can really start to feel why so many allies turn enemy and so many enemies go nihilistic.

The music is, objectively, the best of all of the Final Fantasies. Something to note is that there is an absolute ton of "side quest" content mostly available via the Taverns/Bars and taking missions there. They sometimes escalate into quests that can get you really badass unique characters and eventually unlocking the most dangerous (and rewarding) dungeon/zone.

FFT on iOS reveals the narrator's full name right at the beginning, while it wasn't revealed until the end of the game on Playstation which made it more significant given the speaker is the descendant of Olan Durai, who tried to reveal the truth of the Lion War (Ramza's actions) and dispel the myth (Delita the peasant-become-king hero).

The story's fantastic though. The game's mechanics and story telling makes it very clear that FFT was made by the same minds behind Tactics Ogre.

aversion
Mar 4, 2004

fighting visual crime
PT is for my money a huge improvement over PP, nice strategy tweaks with single routes + layovers and choosing your routes and trains in particular are just more fun than planes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

marshmonkey posted:

Things get dropped off automatically as you move through, no need to stop.

I played the whole loving beta and DID NOT loving KNOW THIS. Mind=Blown!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The story for FFT is really good in the bits it doesn't focus on. The story of Ramza and Delitais pretty awesome, even if it was just about Ramza being astoundingly competent at not dying while trying to be a "good" guy who is eventually forgotten about by history, except for one guy who is researching some dude his great-great-great-great grandfather wrote about in his diary.

Then there's a bunch of final fantasy stuff about killing god/the devil and its way less interesting and its way less interesting then the political backstabbery and manipulation and delita and all that good stuff.

Jun 23, 2010

What are the thoughts on Kingdom Rush Frontiers?

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

online posted:

I absolutely loved it. The IAP heroes are fun but not super necessary, if you buy one the protoss dude is the best in my opinion. The RPG-lite hero leveling really appealed to me, they get noticeably more powerful as they level up. Also, there are little touches like a simple puzzle within one level that destroys an approach lane and most maps have lanes that open as you play through, making the maps feel pretty dynamic. I particularly enjoyed the first time you run up against facehuggers. I really liked the majority of the final tower evolutions, I felt like I used a larger variety than I did in the first KR. The necromancer and battle-mech in particular were really fun. I bought the iPhone version on my iPad on accident and immediately bought the iPad version and while I did get a refund for being a dummy, I wouldn't have felt cheated paying twice what the game costs. It is really good.

Fake edit: The initial last map is absolutely infuriating.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

online posted:

Did you play and enjoy the first one? If you did it's almost completely superior and has just as much content if not more so it's a no-brainer. If you weren't crazy about the first one this won't change your mind; it adds new tower types and enemies and heroes and skills but the core game is the same.

If you DIDN'T play the first one, it launched originally as a free flash game which you can find easily online, I don't think the flash version got all the updates the iOS release got but it should give you a taste. It's got tons of polish and introduces new mechanics and stuff at a really good pace, making it the Tower Defense Game For People Who Can't Normally Get Into Tower Defense Games. If you're skipping the first, a warning though: the sequel quickly rushes through explaining a lot of upgrades and mechanics that get delivered to you in a much slower trickle in the original. This is great if you're already familiar with everything, since it means you're not sitting through a ton of tutorials for stuff you already know, but if you haven't played it then all the options available to you at the beginning might be a little overwhelming.

Edit: oh yeah, and don't get turned off by the IAP/consumable shop. The IAP-only heroes are cool but completely unnecessary, and there's only one in-game currency and the game constantly throws it at you. The original game didn't have the consumable boosters added until like a year after release and when they were implemented the difficulty wasn't rebalanced in any way; you're meant to be able to win without them.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 27, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

The story for FFT is really good in the bits it doesn't focus on. The story of Ramza and Delitais pretty awesome, even if it was just about Ramza being astoundingly competent at not dying while trying to be a "good" guy who is eventually forgotten about by history, except for one guy who is researching some dude his great-great-great-great grandfather wrote about in his diary.

Then there's a bunch of final fantasy stuff about killing god/the devil and its way less interesting and its way less interesting then the political backstabbery and manipulation and delita and all that good stuff.

That's why I liked Suikoden 5, less anime cliches and more awesome political shenanigans and character focus. Shame about the combat being so generic.

I have forgotten the name, but there's this one company who just constantly churns out JRPGS for iOS. Who the hell are they again?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Corridor posted:

I have forgotten the name, but there's this one company who just constantly churns out JRPGS for iOS. Who the hell are they again?

Kemco?

Seraji
Oct 28, 2007

Please wait while custom title and avatar loads...
If I play and win at Pocket Trains while commuting on my late and overcrowded train can I send my phone to Cross Country management to show them how they should be doing things?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
One of my favorite games from I-don't-know-how-many-iPhones-ago has a sequel out now. There is no story. It is not hard, at least not to begin with. I think of it as the digital version of popping bubble wrap, and it's not one of those stupid bubble wrap apps.

It is Many Bricks Breaker 2. It is a fairly easy Breakout clone with lots, and lots, of bricks and power ups. The sound effects are vital to enjoyment of this game.

The sound it makes as a gazillion balls crush just as many bricks every second, god, it is catharsis. The antithesis to everything in old games that made me throw the controller in a fit.

The ads suck, but they are only between levels.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Kaizoku posted:

One of my favorite games from I-don't-know-how-many-iPhones-ago has a sequel out now. There is no story. It is not hard, at least not to begin with. I think of it as the digital version of popping bubble wrap, and it's not one of those stupid bubble wrap apps.

It is Many Bricks Breaker 2. It is a fairly easy Breakout clone with lots, and lots, of bricks and power ups. The sound effects are vital to enjoyment of this game.

The sound it makes as a gazillion balls crush just as many bricks every second, god, it is catharsis. The antithesis to everything in old games that made me throw the controller in a fit.

Acid trip

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

More of a zen feeling, really.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"

Bummey posted:

I think a lot of the people that complain about P&D have never actually played it. I was the same, but once I got into it (and quickly fell out of it) I realized that it's not really that bad, all things considered. It's not directly predatory like, poo poo, even nimblebit games are. It doesn't stop you from spending money and actively enables people to build up a slot machine-like addiction, but you'd have to be predisposed to slot machine addiction to be drawn into it.

Agreed. I've also been impressed by how PAD deals with IAP, and it's probably simultaneously the least intrusive and yet most lucrative implementation I've seen of it in any iOS game to date. The only thing hidden behind premium currency are top-tier Gods. Premium currency, like Nimblebit games, is handed out fairly regularly, so you still have a great shot at acquiring them without paying any money. It never nags you to buy premium currency at any point, and there's never a point where you feel like you have to buy IAP to progress, but drat if a slot machine mechanic to get new monsters isn't the most addictive thing. It's also updated regularly, so it's really interesting to play an inherently single-player game that is perpetually updated with weekly events, evolved monsters, and new gameplay mechanics.

It's also the only iOS game I've played where the stamina/timer mechanic actually is a useful part of the metagame and not just a way to constrain playtime, since it forces you to plan between many of the daily/weekly events going on. I would feel different if stamina was used for anything other than entering a dungeon (say, for example, evolving a monster), but it isn't.

And, for what it's worth, there is some utility for letting non-players know about Godfests in this thread because it's the best springboard for new players and it's how I found out about it. Getting a good starter monster at the beginning is really the make-or-break between you enjoying the game and you having a horrible time grinding in the beginning.

Join us... :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Wizardryo posted:

Agreed. I've also been impressed by how PAD deals with IAP, and it's probably simultaneously the least intrusive and yet most lucrative implementation I've seen of it in any iOS game to date. The only thing hidden behind premium currency are top-tier Gods. Premium currency, like Nimblebit games, is handed out fairly regularly, so you still have a great shot at acquiring them without paying any money. It never nags you to buy premium currency at any point, and there's never a point where you feel like you have to buy IAP to progress, but drat if a slot machine mechanic to get new monsters isn't the most addictive thing. It's also updated regularly, so it's really interesting to play an inherently single-player game that is perpetually updated with weekly events, evolved monsters, and new gameplay mechanics.

It's also the only iOS game I've played where the stamina/timer mechanic actually is a useful part of the metagame and not just a way to constrain playtime, since it forces you to plan between many of the daily/weekly events going on. I would feel different if stamina was used for anything other than entering a dungeon (say, for example, evolving a monster), but it isn't.

And, for what it's worth, there is some utility for letting non-players know about Godfests in this thread because it's the best springboard for new players and it's how I found out about it. Getting a good starter monster at the beginning is really the make-or-break between you enjoying the game and you having a horrible time grinding in the beginning.

Join us... :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

I love PAD, but I have spent a lot more time on Quiz RPG the past few weeks. PAD is easily the better game, do not get me wrong, I just love quizzes and crosswords; especially ones that are hosed up. The Onion, back when it had a crossword, used to gently caress up and give the clues for one week and the puzzle for another. This was not on purpose, but I tried to solve it all the same. Other than Will Shortz, that was the most fun I've ever had with crosswords. Épée is the laziest loving word to use in a crossword ever.

I guess at this point, is there a good and affordable crossword app? If it pulls from the NY Times, it pretty much automatically wins.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I finished The Room today. Great game, but a bit fiddly on a phone screen. I still think it's insane that it costs 99c but I guess that's just how it is.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Loving pocket trains so far, I can see this scratching my rail-freight itch til Transport Tycoon comes out. I've been wary of Nimblebit's previous releases since Tiny Tower as I got sick of just waiting for timers to tick down so I could press some buttons in order to wait for more timers to tick down etc etc but this seems to throw enough bux at you that IAP aren't essential (though I've only been playing for a day, so this could change). IAP not being essential to progress actually makes me feel more like throwing some money the developer's way.

Edit: Ooohh wait, I've just noticed that the cost of building new lines seems to double with each one you build.

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 27, 2013

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Owlkill posted:

Edit: Ooohh wait, I've just noticed that the cost of building new lines seems to double with each one you build.

It doesn't, cost is based on track length and whether it is underwater.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

It doesn't, cost is based on track length and whether it is underwater.

Sorry, should have been more clear - I mean like totally new railroads, rather than extending existing lines. No matter what engine I select to start a new railroad with it's the same price, and that's before I've even selected where it will be.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hey, Pocket Trains made Editors Choice on the App Store. Congrats! :3:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Any advice for Shadowrun Returns? Currently I'm enjoying it but I feel I'm wasting a bunch of karma, currently got an Elf street samurai but I have spells on her which were kind of a waste especially since I dropped cash on a new eye and arms. I'm considering restarting and using a combo of gunplay and decking.

Link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/shadowrun-returns/id667026182?mt=8

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

I love PAD, but I have spent a lot more time on Quiz RPG the past few weeks. PAD is easily the better game, do not get me wrong, I just love quizzes and crosswords; especially ones that are hosed up.

I've been playing quizrpg as well. Playing a quiz game and competing with others(kind of) is pretty fun because nobody ever plays quiz board games with me. :sigh: I know that i'm weak on sports questions, but I didn't know everything in Trivial Pursuit and managed not to rage quit that in 5 minutes. At least with multiple choice you have a chance of answering right.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Any advice for Shadowrun Returns? Currently I'm enjoying it but I feel I'm wasting a bunch of karma, currently got an Elf street samurai but I have spells on her which were kind of a waste especially since I dropped cash on a new eye and arms. I'm considering restarting and using a combo of gunplay and decking.

Link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/shadowrun-returns/id667026182?mt=8
If it's anything like the PC version it's really not very difficult to get through the main campaign. An Elf Street Samurai focusing on pretty much just Quickness, Dodging and Assault Rifles will mow through pretty much anything. Cyberware is certainly optional but I don't find its implementation to be all that great, you might enjoy having extra well-qualified shadowrunners instead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This game worth the :10bux: ? I loved SR on the SNES

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

TraderStav posted:

This game worth the :10bux: ? I loved SR on the SNES
I'd recommend the Steam version first, and even then only if you have basically no backlog. If I could go back and wait on the Steam version I probably would.

For the iOS version I'd advise waiting for a few updates to come down, until hopefully a good use-made campaign or a second core campaign becomes available because what's there now is decent but short. There's also the "wait for a sale" angle. I don't think it's worth $10 just yet but it eventually will be.

Given how similar the combat is to X-Com, get that if you haven't gotten it yet, and play it in the meantime.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That's them. I was gonna ask if they are any good, but they all look like horribly overpriced generic RPG-Maker crap so never mind.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kenny Logins posted:

I'd recommend the Steam version first, and even then only if you have basically no backlog. If I could go back and wait on the Steam version I probably would.

For the iOS version I'd advise waiting for a few updates to come down, until hopefully a good use-made campaign or a second core campaign becomes available because what's there now is decent but short. There's also the "wait for a sale" angle. I don't think it's worth $10 just yet but it eventually will be.

Given how similar the combat is to X-Com, get that if you haven't gotten it yet, and play it in the meantime.

Thanks, I'll stick to Xcom and GTA V for now then. Ultimate Team in FIFA 14 still seems to be broken though too. =/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Another question about Pocket Trains. I bought a bunch of crates and bux but I'm still early in the game. Does it matter what level I'm at when I open my crates? In other word since I'm only level three at the moment will the crates be level type stuff only?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kaizoku posted:

This runs really, really terribly on an iphone 4 fyi

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Pocket Trains thread is up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572154

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Are there any good Wizardry clones out right now? I know Labyrinth of Lost Souls is available but its also pretty terrible.

I've already got The Quest and Undercroft, both are good but not quite what I'm looking for.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Isn't PAD having a Super Godfest next Monday?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kenny Logins posted:

I really need to play X-Com :stare:
It's been on my to-do list pretty much since it came out and I got to listen to like 5 straight episodes of Giantbombcast gushing about it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ryoshi posted:

Are there any good Wizardry clones out right now? I know Labyrinth of Lost Souls is available but its also pretty terrible.

I've already got The Quest and Undercroft, both are good but not quite what I'm looking for.

Tumulus of Fun is ... not exactly Wizardry, but it's another old school dungeon crawler and I rather like it. It's free and the dev is not going to renew his account, so it will soon disappear forever.

deadly_pudding posted:

I really need to play X-Com :stare:
It's been on my to-do list pretty much since it came out and I got to listen to like 5 straight episodes of Giantbombcast gushing about it.

please please please please play it on a computer, not your phone or ipad

Also, the anti cheat mod is nice for classic/higher difficulty games because it removes the huge +hit/crit bonuses that enemies get (like, one shot kills from across the map while in full cover, where your soldiers would have a 1% chance to merely hit with the same shot. It's 100% bullshit, cheating, artificial "difficulty." Inflating enemy numbers is not a truly valid way to increase difficulty) but still retains the full, expanded AI routines (which is totally a valid way to make things more difficult). It also adds neat things like the ability to intercept and shoot down the UFOs that create terror and abduction missions, which is nice and adds a lot more gameplay and options for player choice. Add Ironman mode for more fun.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 27, 2013

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Bummey posted:

please please please please play it on a computer, not your phone

I'm not sure I'd recommend it on a phone either, but it's super fun on an iPad.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm going on a camping trip with some friends this weekend. Any recommendations for fun board or party games to play with a group on the iPad? Preferably something that doesn't require an internet connection, although that's not a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dragonrah posted:

I'm not sure I'd recommend it on a phone either, but it's super fun on an iPad.

Yeah, I've got like 100+ hours into the PC version of X-com and I love it on my iPad. Probably not the best way to experience it for the first time, though.

• Locked thread