Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

We don't have bonded warehouses, but you may be able to use facebook sometime in the future! Special Admin ZOnes. We're like Hong Kong but without all the spoiled brats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dandong is cool. They're so desperate to turn it into the next big place that they literally gave a giant office building and factory to my company for free and we don't have to pay any taxes or anything for at least 5 years. I don't know how it all works. And because we're legally barred from working with North Korean workers or doing business with any factories that do (tons of them in Dandong do), plus it's a really underdeveloped area, we can't find any materials suppliers anywhere closer than Shenyang, and most of our materials can't be sourced closer than Shanghai.

Basically despite massive government subsidies to get us to invest there, we still end up losing money compared to just manufacturing in and around Shenzhen

e: another big contributing cost is that nobody wants to move to Dandong so you have to pay people a lot more money just to consider it.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 26, 2013

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

e: another big contributing cost is that nobody wants to move to Dandong so you have to pay people a lot more money just to consider it.

Our university has a similar problem with getting teachers out to Quzhou. Nobody wants to go there, and our boss is like, "I don't understand why we can't get any teachers for Quzhou! The water is so clean that you can drink it!" (And the people there do drink the water, which is enormously troubling.)

We try to tell him that Westerners generally want to go where there are Western amenities readily available and perhaps even an expat circle, but he still doesn't get it. "But the water, it's safe! THE SAFE WATER THAT YOU CAN DRINK! IN YOUR MOUTH!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

blinkyzero posted:

Our university has a similar problem with getting teachers out to Quzhou. Nobody wants to go there, and our boss is like, "I don't understand why we can't get any teachers for Quzhou! The water is so clean that you can drink it!" (And the people there do drink the water, which is enormously troubling.)

We try to tell him that Westerners generally want to go where there are Western amenities readily available and perhaps even an expat circle, but he still doesn't get it. "But the water, it's safe! THE SAFE WATER THAT YOU CAN DRINK! IN YOUR MOUTH!"

I think you'll need to make a table of "things that Westerners want" and their availability in Quzhou vs. everywhere else.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Places in China westerners have heard of:

Quzhou?????

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Singapore
Macau
Hong Kong
Ho Chi Minh

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Singapore
Macau
Hong Kong
Ho Chi Minh

And General Tso, though most people know this august location better by its informal name, D14.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Have you been to Kung Pao??? It is my hometown.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arglebargle III posted:

It can take six months for formaldehyde gas to stop coming out of cheap plywood.
Among China's rejected tourist slogans.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

It's cool, if you really can find a position like this then go for it of course. If it's going to be three months of Lost in Translation esque purgatory then think hard, is what I'm saying.

Don't stay with the future inlaws unless they live in a sky palace. Being able to retreat to some sort of semblance of normalcy every day is nice, instead of full on 'holy gently caress china wtf' 24x7.

edit - advice which I am currently ignoring of course. Easier said than done. One more week.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hey, is a trip to the changsha zoo going to be as hilariously depressing as I'm imagining? More importantly, is it the kind of place where I need to be careful a monkey doesn't jump out and rip my kids dick off? Or mine.

http://gawker.com/zoo-monkey-tears-off-babys-testicle-eats-it-as-mom-wa-1265710748

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In my experience Asian zoos are the most depressing places on Earth.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The small zoo that you walk past when going up Victoria Peak starting from Central isn't so bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baddog posted:

Hey, is a trip to the changsha zoo going to be as hilariously depressing as I'm imagining? More importantly, is it the kind of place where I need to be careful a monkey doesn't jump out and rip my kids dick off? Or mine.

http://gawker.com/zoo-monkey-tears-off-babys-testicle-eats-it-as-mom-wa-1265710748

Probably. I lived in Changsha for a year and never heard of anyone going there. I was barely aware there was a zoo at all. Is it on the west side?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Probably. I lived in Changsha for a year and never heard of anyone going there. I was barely aware there was a zoo at all. Is it on the west side?

Way south. The reviews I've been looking at make it sound pretty terrible, but I think I'm locked in unless there are reports of full on monkey rape.

edit - what are some good things to do here? We did the river walk and the historical village thing there, the walk up the hill, the pedestrian mall, the ferris wheel.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 26, 2013

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Tourism & Travel > China Megathread IV: I think I'm locked in unless there are reports of full on monkey rape

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

The small zoo that you walk past when going up Victoria Peak starting from Central isn't so bad.

Ocean park is a decent place with an amazing aquarium. Beats Disneyland in terms of fun and price.

Nobody cares about us, or the usual answer is "BUT THAT'S HONG KONG SO IT'S DIFFERENT" :smith: Most of the time, people on the internet just like to talk trash about how crazy/different China is.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Grand Fromage posted:

In my experience Asian zoos are the most depressing places on Earth.

But you can order which animals you want for lunch. What's not to like?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A friend and I went to the Maruyama Koen zoo in Sapporo. The highlights for me were: the Kodiak bear stuck in a bare concrete cage smaller than my apartment, sitting over it's water trough taking in mouthfuls of water, then letting them run out back into the trough (Turns out it was old and probably ill...it died at ~age 30 a month later); and the Japanese Macaque pit, where there were a couple of big angry looking monkeys up on top of the pit, some blood stains on the concrete below them, and then at the bottom of the moat, a group of terrified looking monkeys staring up at the monkeys on top. Generally a bunch of bare concrete enclosures way too small for the big animals.

On the way out of the reptile house, we saw a dead stuffed caiman. My friend commented "this is the happiest animal in the whole zoo."

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
OK so to answer more questions: My future in laws have several apartments in Shenyang, we're going to take one of them. I'm basically intending to stay till I pick up Mandarin and get some interesting experience on my resume to propel me into management or an MBA. I'd like to work some while I'm there to bring in some income and not blow all my savings. If I'd have to stay six months to make that happen, I can do that.

I'm really hoping I love it, I've been fascinated with China for years before my better half and I started dating. I could definitely use a change of scenery though, I'm occasionally feeling like I'm getting burned out which for an IT guy is super terrifying. I'd imagine intense Mandarin lessons are more easily available and cheaper in China than in the states, right? I guess I should take a Confucius Institute course or something before I go though.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

El_Matarife posted:

I'm basically intending to stay till I pick up Mandarin

So a couple years then? I don't know what you think you will accomplish in a few months if you're starting from zero language ability.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Arakan posted:

So a couple years then? I don't know what you think you will accomplish in a few months if you're starting from zero language ability.

Yup, this. 6 months is nothing. Try 2-3 years, then you'll have something to work with.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Ignore my timeline for learning Mandarin, heh. I'm used to people learning Spanish where a year or so of high school classes and 3 months full immersion is enough.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baddog posted:

edit - what are some good things to do here? We did the river walk and the historical village thing there, the walk up the hill, the pedestrian mall, the ferris wheel.

Bar street. Every night. And I think you mean THE MOUNTAIN. I never went on the Ferris wheel. Too Soviet.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

El_Matarife posted:

...propel me into management or an MBA...

There's a Project 211 university in Shenyang with English language MBA and Software Engineering degree programs.

http://www.sie.neu.edu.cn/en/index.asp

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

VideoTapir posted:

A friend and I went to the Maruyama Koen zoo in Sapporo. The highlights for me were: the Kodiak bear stuck in a bare concrete cage smaller than my apartment, sitting over it's water trough taking in mouthfuls of water, then letting them run out back into the trough (Turns out it was old and probably ill...it died at ~age 30 a month later); and the Japanese Macaque pit, where there were a couple of big angry looking monkeys up on top of the pit, some blood stains on the concrete below them, and then at the bottom of the moat, a group of terrified looking monkeys staring up at the monkeys on top. Generally a bunch of bare concrete enclosures way too small for the big animals.

On the way out of the reptile house, we saw a dead stuffed caiman. My friend commented "this is the happiest animal in the whole zoo."

Last time my mom came to visit I took her to the Beijing zoo; an hour in she was crying and had yelled at a guy for throwing a carrot at a zebra's head.

So yeah, zoos = sadness.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FearCotton posted:

Last time my mom came to visit I took her to the Beijing zoo; an hour in she was crying and had yelled at a guy for throwing a carrot at a zebra's head.

So yeah, zoos = sadness.

Eh? The Beijing zoo isn't that bad in itself. But yeah, I can believe the visitors' behavior horrifying someone.

Also, the rhinos have no horns and the elephants have no tusks. Gee, I wonder why that is.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

VideoTapir posted:

Eh? The Beijing zoo isn't that bad in itself. But yeah, I can believe the visitors' behavior horrifying someone.

Also, the rhinos have no horns and the elephants have no tusks. Gee, I wonder why that is.

Just think about the missing parts on the poor tigers.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Sogol posted:

Just think about the missing parts on the poor tigers.

And all of the soft, impotent, disappointed penises.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

FearCotton posted:

So yeah, zoos = sadness.

That was pretty much my Beijing Zoo experience too :smith:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I lived literally across the street from the Beijing Zoo in 2009 and didn't think it was that bad. They only have one old tymey barn-like building where they keep some big cats in literal 3' x 5' cages. The rest looked like a modern western zoo with 'enclosures.'

But yeah it is mainland China when it comes to the visitors so whaddyagonnado.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Catching up with the thread this morning has been very depressing. Not only seriously :smith: about animals, but also quite :( about the fact that apparently 6 months from now I'll still barely be speaking Mandarin.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I went from knowing gently caress-all Chinese to reading comic books and talking politics in Mandarin in about 6 months.

But I was also in a total Chinese immersion environment with seven hours of study a day and a blood pact to have my only contact with a non-Chinese language be the occasional phone call back to America. 6 months is definitely doable, but you've got to make sacrifices that are just unrealistic if you've come to China for any reason other than learning the language.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Catching up with the thread this morning has been very depressing. Not only seriously :smith: about animals, but also quite :( about the fact that apparently 6 months from now I'll still barely be speaking Mandarin.

Yeah, don't buy into the "Chinese is easy because the grammar is so simple and there's no conjugation!" bullshit. For reference, the US State Department's Foreign Service Institute regularly lists Mandarin as one of the hardest, if not the hardest, language for its trainees to learn (as native English speakers). Japanese and Korean are usually floating just above it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yea, the four ultra-hards they list are Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean. Japanese usually wins as the hardest for English speakers because it has all the oddities of Korean plus you have to learn kanji to read.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

I went from knowing gently caress-all Chinese to reading comic books and talking politics in Mandarin in about 6 months.

But I was also in a total Chinese immersion environment with seven hours of study a day and a blood pact to have my only contact with a non-Chinese language be the occasional phone call back to America. 6 months is definitely doable, but you've got to make sacrifices that are just unrealistic if you've come to China for any reason other than learning the language.

Yeah but you also majored in linguistics and studied Japanese for 3 years. I also never heard you use Mandarin in higher level conversations ever :colbert:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Yeah but you also majored in linguistics and studied Japanese for 3 years. I also never heard you use Mandarin in higher level conversations ever :colbert:

:munch:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Bloodnose is still awesome. He writes better Cantonese than I do. Why doesn't anyone want to speak Mandarin with me :eng99:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Wait if Bloodnose studied Japanese for a year then why did he keep, for a period, coming into the Japanese chat thread and complain about us using Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Website posted:

No special access to banned websites at free trade zone in Shanghai

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/814044.shtml#.UkUI9Yb7Dcj