Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Hoon sounds a lot like Kyoon. Coincidence??? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Uh, considering they're both Korean?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

quote:

So if we had to read the above decrement, omitting the spaces (which only a real purist would pronounce), we’d say: “luslus dec sigfas cen dec bartis a tis pat sigbar soq dec soq ketcab pat wutgal tis pel zero a per tislus b tis pat barhep wutcol tis pel a lus pel b per per b buc pel b lus pel b per per.”

Where we're going, you won't need eyes to see.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

This entire thing is a hugely entertaining waste of time. This guy should be a science fiction writer.

http://moronlab.blogspot.co.uk/ posted:

What is Martian code actually like? There are two possibilities.

One: since Earth code is fifty years old, and Martian code is fifty million years old, Martian code has been evolving into a big ball of mud for a million times longer than Earth software. (And two million times longer than Windows.)

This hypothesis strikes me as possible, but implausible. Since the big ball of mud expands indefinitely, Martian code would therefore be so large and horrible that, despite its underground installed base, the server room bulged into space like a termite mound, intercepting low-flying asteroids and stinking up the solar system all the way to Pluto. Our latest space telescopes would surely have detected this abominable structure - if not, in fact, collided with it.

Two: therefore, at some point in Martian history, some abject fsck of a Martian code-monkey must have said: fsck this entire fscking ball of mud. For lo, its defects cannot be summarized; for they exceed the global supply of bullet points; for numerous as the fishes in the sea, like the fishes in the sea they fsck, making more little fscking fishes. For lo, it is fscked, and a big ball of mud. And there is only one thing to do with it: obliterate the trunk, fire the developers, and hire a whole new fscking army of Martian code-monkeys to rewrite the entire fscking thing.

This is such an obvious and essential response to the big ball of mud pattern that, despite the fact that we know nothing about Mars, we can deduce that it must have happened on Mars. Probably several times. Probably several hundred. For each of these attempts but the last, of course, the result was either (a) abject failure, (b) another big ball of mud, or (c) both.

But the last, by definition, succeeded. This is the crucial inference we can draw about Mars: since the Martians had 50 million years to try, in the end they must have succeeded. The result: Martian code, as we know it today. Not enormous and horrible - tiny and diamond-perfect. Moreover, because it is tiny and diamond-perfect, it is perfectly stable and never changes or decays. It neither is a big ball of mud, nor tends to become one. It has achieved its final, permanent and excellent state.
:stare:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Hammerite posted:

How does someone learn Python to the degree of competence necessary to make this... thing, without picking up ideas like "split the project up into multiple modules in a logical fashion" and "put that poo poo in a docstring like a normal person"?

At work we inherited giant 7000 line files and the author's justification was that it was easier to navigate single files in emacs (???)

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

code:
 zork:zank:cool:tung:(wind:(ho:(um p.soq) q.soq) sup ham)
That's pretty cool though. :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hoon noun 1) a functional programming language 2) the sound made involuntarily when confronted with the necessity of editing code written in Hoon. Related words: depression, alcoholism, suicide, resume, update

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

Hoon noun 1) a functional programming language 2) the sound made involuntarily when confronted with the necessity of editing code written in Hoon. Related words: depression, alcoholism, suicide, resume, update

Your mouth makes some weird noises.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dicky B posted:

This entire thing is a hugely entertaining waste of time. This guy should be a science fiction writer.

:wtc:

Alternately, Martian code looks like nothing because there are no Martians?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

netcat posted:

At work we inherited giant 7000 line files and the author's justification was that it was easier to navigate single files in emacs (???)
Well, he's right. And 7000 lines isn't all that long for a file in a production system.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
http://www.urbit.org/2013/08/22/Chapter-1-arvo.html

The more I read the weirder and funnier it gets. This guy owns.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I'm still bemused at the awful, terrible syntax of that language, the overblown writing, and preposterous terminology (I burst out laughing at

quote:

A pier is an Urbit virtual machine that hosts one or more Urbit identities, or ships. When you run vere -c, it automatically creates a 128-bit ship, or submarine.
). But the other parts (the virtual machine and OS) have some genuinely interesting ideas. The OS is like super diehard unix plus version control and other tricks built in at a low level, and the VM is this wacky but actually pretty elegant little thing where everything is a list and it's strongly reminiscent of the lambda calculus (with something like JIT for speed).

I wouldn't compare it to TempleOS which is an actually crazy person trying to make a substitute for the whole of Windows.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

bucketmouse posted:

http://www.urbit.org/2013/08/22/Chapter-1-arvo.html

The more I read the weirder and funnier it gets. This guy owns.

Completely agree, this is one of the better programming articles I've read in a while.

quote:

For complicated reasons related to the Hoon type system - which, for a higher-order functional type inference engine, is as stupid as we could make it

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
His writing style strikes me as imitation Douglas Adams. He even uses the number 42 early on in his demo video.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

quote:

we don’t use any of that PL theory poo poo. We’re OS guys. Our mission is not to praise PL, but to drive it out of the CS department with a flaming sword, back to the fundless ghetto of math where it belongs. Hoon is ‘street FP.’

hates on "pl theory poo poo" and mathematics. defines extremely weird formal reduction system.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's almost as if that guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Gazpacho posted:

Well, he's right. And 7000 lines isn't all that long for a file in a production system.

I'm pretty sure it is.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I encountered a "Only variables should be passed by reference" notice while testing our legacy codebase on PHP 5.5.

php:
<?
$Order['bill_phone'] = Format_Phone_Number(strtoupper($_POST['bill_phone']));
?>
What's the real horror here, the fact that Format_Phone_Number actually works by reference, or the fact that some previous developer decided that uppercasing a telephone number was the right thing to do?

I went through a comprehensive svn blame on the file, and that code has always been there. I was the last one to touch it, six years ago. Whitespace changes only...

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 25, 2013

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

McGlockenshire posted:

or the fact that some previous developer decided that uppercasing a telephone number was the right thing to do?

Maybe people were entering stuff like 1-800-got-mine?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

McGlockenshire posted:

some previous developer decided that uppercasing a telephone number was the right thing to do

1-888-BAD-CODE

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

McGlockenshire posted:

I encountered a "Only variables should be passed by reference" notice while testing our legacy codebase on PHP 5.5.

php:
<?
?>
What's the real horror here, the fact that Format_Phone_Number actually works by reference, or the fact that some previous developer decided that uppercasing a telephone number was the right thing to do?

I went through a comprehensive svn blame on the file, and that code has always been there. I was the last one to touch it, six years ago. Whitespace changes only...

I can see why you'd uppercase certain phone numbers, but the formatter should handle that.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

McGlockenshire posted:

php:
<?
?>

The real horror is obviously naming the variable $Order instead of $order. :colbert:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

fidel sarcastro posted:

The real horror is obviously naming the variable $Order instead of $order. :colbert:

Oh-ho-ho, my friend, that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's $Order because that's the order being processed. All of the "important things" being processed are always capitalized, you see.

Oh, it's also an array. Yes, the Order is an array. Not an object. There is no Order class. We have a class for everything else, just not Orders.

It's also a global. Code all over the place references it blindly assuming it'll be there and be populated with valid Order information.

We have three very tightly regulated cesspools of copy/paste where we need to do Order-ish things that aren't inside /orders/order.php. order.php is 3,500 lines of procedural code, most of which is nested inside various levels of if/else blocks. Very little of the important logic is inside even functions.

This isn't just spaghetti code, it's a loving big ball of mud. It's the most business-critical part of the code, really. It's also not really testable using automated processes, which makes us just as hesitant to clean it up as we are to add to it.

This utter poo poo code is what helps the business pull in mid-eight figures a year.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Wheany posted:

I'm pretty sure it is.
Startup-hopper found.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gazpacho posted:

Startup-hopper found.

Not our fault legacy code is always a huge monolith of horrible.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

Startup-hopper found.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

Startup-hopper found.

I've worked on legacy systems and while we certainly have 7000+ line files they're universally seen as the gnarliest parts of the system in greatest need of refactoring, not just like welp that's the cost of production.

We also don't code in emacs so I guess that's a reason.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Gazpacho posted:

Startup-hopper found.

Is there another way to do it? Unless you're getting a huge chunk of equity, you're a sucker if you're not hopping in today's economy. That really goes for outside the startup industry as well.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a lovely poster posted:

Is there another way to do it? Unless you're getting a huge chunk of equity, you're a sucker if you're not hopping in today's economy. That really goes for outside the startup industry as well.

Believe it or not, but there are companies that will pay top end market rates to prevent you from hopping somewhere for more money.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

baquerd posted:

Believe it or not, but there are companies that will pay top end market rates to prevent you from hopping somewhere for more money.

I'll let you know when I find one. I've been taking $5-$10k raises yearly for the past five or so by job hopping. This might be something more specific to the web development world, but pension/career paths have been gutted at a lot of organizations due to the recession. Yeah, if you're making a good amount of money, have great benefits, obviously don't hop. But start-ups are not really where you're going to find 'companies that will pay top end market rates to prevent you from hopping somewhere for more money' from my experience.

Also, fwiw, don't ever quit a job without another one lined up. My "job hopping" is more or less just keeping my resume/linkedin/stackoverflow/githubs updated/public with what I'm doing and working on. There's enough demand for experienced professionals in the field that it's less about hunting for jobs, and more about employers hunting for employees.

a lovely poster fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 26, 2013

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I can recommend one, if you don't mind MUMPS.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zhentar posted:

I can recommend one, if you don't mind MUMPS.

Oh my god no don't. There's a reason the language shares its name with a disease.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god no don't. There's a reason the language shares its name with a disease.

I'm proud to introduce Haskell Extended Relational Programming Electronic Simulator.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Pollyanna posted:

Is it because the massive swelling of my paycheck resembles a symptom of the disease? :smug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zhentar posted:

Is it because the massive swelling of my paycheck resembles a symptom of the disease? :smug:

Was it worth it?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's not like I had to turn to something truly awful, like PHP or "Enterprise" Java.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Java is only slightly worse than MUMPS/Magic.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

a lovely poster posted:

I'll let you know when I find one. I've been taking $5-$10k raises yearly for the past five or so by job hopping.

That works fine until one day you wake up and you're 40 years old and no Hot New Startups want to hire you, grandpa, and none of the Big Conservative Established companies want to hire you anymore either because your CV shows you never stay in a position for more than 300 days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

biznatchio posted:

That works fine until one day you wake up and you're 40 years old and no Hot New Startups want to hire you, grandpa,

I question whether this is something that's widespread enough to worry about. Not that I know one way or the other as I've never worked in a Hot New Startup, but I just read this on Quora a couple days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thermopyle posted:

I question whether this is something that's widespread enough to worry about. Not that I know one way or the other as I've never worked in a Hot New Startup, but I just read this on Quora a couple days ago.

"All of these people founded successful companies when they were > 35, therefore your question is invalid by anecdote."

The reality is that most people are not Gordon Moore, and won't found the next Intel. It's a good question to ask. I would definitely hesitate before hiring someone with a majority of experiences lasting < 1 year. There are two possible conclusions there:

1. This person is going to jump ship after a year and I'll be back here recruiting again, with wasted momentum and an incomplete codebase

Or worse

2. This person is so bad that they can't hold down a job for even a year before getting booted.

If you're going to go the path of striking out on your own, good on you, but constant job hopping will eventually catch up with you if you plan on working for "the man".