Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

alkanphel posted:

TMAX 400

Stacked Chairs, Bukit Merah, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

My first long exposure at night using Acros

Night Landscape, West Coast, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

the long exposure is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I just send an email to this yahoo.com address posted on chamonixviewcamera.com to place an order for a camera?

Seems kind of shady.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Over in the buy/sell thread I've got my Kiev 60 (may or may not have frame spacing issue, with a Volna 80mm and the 30mm fisheye) for sale at my lowest possible price of $200. Somebody take this off my hands! (Or I'll otherwise either get it sent to me here to tinker with, or just chuck it into the 'bay.)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Over in the buy/sell thread I've got my Kiev 60 (may or may not have frame spacing issue, with a Volna 80mm and the 30mm fisheye) for sale at my lowest possible price of $200. Somebody take this off my hands! (Or I'll otherwise either get it sent to me here to tinker with, or just chuck it into the 'bay.)
Done. Send me an email or a PM.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

So I just send an email to this yahoo.com address posted on chamonixviewcamera.com to place an order for a camera?

Seems kind of shady.

Yes, it seems shady as hell but Hugo is a stand up dude.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
He's a good guy, the 8x10 wet plate holder I got from him is magic.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

The New Museum, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

i'm thinking of selling my pentax 6x7 to get a 690 - is anyone in the thread interested in buying?

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 27, 2013

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Genderfluid posted:

i'm thinking of selling my pentax 6x7 to get a 690 - is anyone in the thread interested in buying?

Interested in the body (if it's an MLU), already got lens/grip/viewfinder.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

Seems kind of shady.

Hugo owns. Just make sure to ask for your tracking number or you won't get it until it's at your doorstep.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Genderfluid posted:

Just wanted to chime in as someone who owns both, the GW690 is nice, but in my opinion, it's not Pentax 67 nice. The viewfinder is giving me some trouble as it's very large and for me even without glasses it's kind of hard to compose with it and feel sure about what is in the frame and how it is aligned. Also the shutter and shutter release feels kind of cheap-ish on my GW690 II, not plasticy-ick-its-horrible cheap, but not up to the standards of my TLRs or 67.

The 67 never gave me such troubles, and generally my pictures with it reflect that. They are subjectively better.

That said, the large negatives, or even better slides are something to behold for sure -- and one of the key reasons why I still keep trying and won't ditch my GW690...

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

VomitOnLino posted:

Also the shutter and shutter release feels kind of cheap-ish on my GW690 II, not plasticy-ick-its-horrible cheap, but not up to the standards of my TLRs or 67.

I like the feel of the button on my GW690ii, the shutter sound is pretty bad though.

My only complaint is the focus ring is too tight.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
This thread needs to be divorced into separate threads for MF and LF because now it has me all :allears: for large format cameras. Goddamnit. GODDAMNIT.

Sinar P or P2, yay or nay?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

This thread needs to be divorced into separate threads for MF and LF because now it has me all :allears: for large format cameras. Goddamnit. GODDAMNIT.

Sinar P or P2, yay or nay?

Chamonix.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
is there a way of getting it not in wood? or an equivalent that isn't wood?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

Nope, what's the problem with wood?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Sludge Tank posted:

The wood adds lightness, all metal large format cameras are loving heavy. Get the Chamonix.

Also, the gw690ii rules, the shutter is a little tinnie sounding but the results make you not worry about insignificant stuff like that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggsovereasy posted:

Seems kind of shady.

A lot of the best places are run by old farts who barely even know how to computer. You hire them for their decades of skill, not their slick Web 2.0 presence.

Mark Hama and Eric Hendrickson both spring to mind. Both are pretty much masters of their respective cameras, one uses a Comcast email address and hosting, the other uses AOL.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmku-8kSxzM&t=106s

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 27, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

A lot of the best places are run by old farts who barely even know how to computer. You hire them for their decades of skill, not their slick Web 2.0 presence.

I was more worried about it actually being Chamonix's website than I was about how flashy his web programming skills are, but it's good to know I was in the right place.

I emailed him, they are sold out of the 45n-2 cameras and he said they wouldn't have more for 3 months. They have 45F1s though, so I guess I'm going to get that asynchronous tilt.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pentax 67 showed up. Jesus gently caress this thing is so loving big.

Question for the Pentax 67'ers. Do you primarily use a tripod? Which tripod?

Do you primarily use the eye level finder with the meter, or waist level finder plus an external meter?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Awkward Davies posted:

Do you primarily use the eye level finder with the meter, or waist level finder plus an external meter?

I use a poo poo rear end Velbon tripod that weighs like 15 pounds that I got at a thrift store. My opinion is that you can substitute a shitload of weight for a super stiff light tripod. People use Leitz Tiltall tripods for LF stuff all the time, they're pretty reasonably priced if you don't mind lugging it around. I really think the head and attachment is the more important factor in the equation, so I use an Arca Swiss B-1 ballhead and a Kirk L-bracket. I haven't had any problems with shutter shake at all.

I'd say I use a tripod when it's appropriate. It's not necessary, the shutter shake and/or mirror slap is way overblown as a problem. I don't have any heartburn about handholding up to 1/60 or sometimes slower, and at that point not holding still enough becomes a factor. If possible below 1/125th I do flick the mirror release and then shoot. You just get used to not drunkenly waving the camera around the second the viewfinder blanks out.

I shoot with the eyelevel finder with meter. It's an averaging meter, which really work totally fine, you just need to think about your picture and and realize when your meter is picking up areas that are different luminosity than your subject. Unless you're going to go hardcore zone system there's not really a need for an external meter. On the other hand there's nothing incredibly awesome about the meter prism either, so if you know you'll always have another camera/meter there then you can just rely on that. It chew batteries pretty hard, if you get one of the meter prisms with an on/off switch (versus a momentary on switch) make sure you always turn it off or it'll flatten the battery in about 24 hours.

You can get a replacement split prism screen installed, I *highly* recommend it for focusing speed and accuracy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 27, 2013

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shoot with whatever the hell you want, you can't go wrong.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

dukeku posted:

Shoot with whatever the hell you want, you can't go wrong.

Unless you buy a canon 35/1.4L.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Awkward Davies posted:

I spent the bulk of my day drooling over Pentax 645's.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ZippySLC posted:

I spent the bulk of my day drooling over Pentax 645's.

645 :ughh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

I use a poo poo rear end Velbon tripod that weighs like 15 pounds that I got at a thrift store. My opinion is that you can substitute a shitload of weight for a super stiff light tripod. People use Leitz Tiltall tripods for LF stuff all the time, they're pretty reasonably priced if you don't mind lugging it around. I really think the head and attachment is the more important factor in the equation, so I use an Arca Swiss B-1 ballhead and a Kirk L-bracket. I haven't had any problems with shutter shake at all.

I used a Tiltall for like a year and it's pretty much the most solid tripod you can get for $50. The leg locks are infuriating in cold weather though because the leg tubes freely rotate.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I suck at and hate doing post on colour negs, I've seen that video but still find it really hard to get the tone and colour I want. Also dust spotting, ugh. And I really need a better negative holder for my scanner. That aside, sometimes it comes together and then I'm happy to be shooting film. :)
Anyway, here's some 120 stuff from a big batch of rolls I've been developing and processing recently:

Bambergh, Northumberland, England (Kodak Tri-X 400)

Hercegovacka Gracanica, Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina (Kodak Portra 160)

Dubrovnik, Croatia (Kodak Portra 160)

Dubrovnik, Croatia (Kodak Ektar 100)

Stornoway, Lewis, Scotland (Ilford FP4+)

Geirinis, South Uist, Scotland (Kodak Portra 160)

fake edit: if anyone has been wavering about developing C-41 at home, I say go for it. If anything it's even easier than B&W because it being a standard process means there's no scope to gently caress up on dev times.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Provia 100F

Horticulturist, Takayama, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

Also dust spotting, ugh. And I really need a better negative holder for my scanner.

If you aren't using a graphics tablet for spotting, that helps a ton with the tedium. I got the Betterscanning and after all the testing it needed 0 adjustment from the stock height. The ANR glass is nice for keeping negs flat though.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

One of my real life friends scolded me for that yesterday, too.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ZippySLC posted:

One of my real life friends scolded me for that yesterday, too.

friends don't let friends shoot inferior formats.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Has anyone seen this?

custom built Hass flexbody + PC-MUTAR (+40mm)

e: fixed

guy who built it says it overcomes a lot of the limitations of the original flexbody and enlarges the image circle through the mutar enough to allow more movement also with front swing.

still not as free-willy as a view camera but still a pretty neat piece of work

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 1, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sludge Tank posted:

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31227.0;attach=8443;image

custom built Hass flexbody + PC-MUTAR + (+50mm distagon)

what's the verdict with you guys? I tend to trust the more grass roots opinion around here, but seemed to cop a bit of praise the other places I'd seen it...

Just curious, looks rather impressive either way...

Can't see poo poo with your image leaching that is being foiled by being behind a password protected forum.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Shot 5 rolls over the weekend. Did the math. Realized that between buying/developing/scanning I'm paying over a dollar a frame.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If you aren't using a graphics tablet for spotting, that helps a ton with the tedium. I got the Betterscanning and after all the testing it needed 0 adjustment from the stock height. The ANR glass is nice for keeping negs flat though.

I find the anr glass is best at trapping dust between the glass and the negs. No matter how much I try, there is always a ton of dust there. I have actually gone back to the default epson holders.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Demon_Corsair posted:

I find the anr glass is best at trapping dust between the glass and the negs. No matter how much I try, there is always a ton of dust there. I have actually gone back to the default epson holders.

This was my experience too.

Awkward Davies posted:

Shot 5 rolls over the weekend. Did the math. Realized that between buying/developing/scanning I'm paying over a dollar a frame.

Be more selective and do your own scanning and film makes a lot more sense.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Be more selective and do your own scanning and film makes a lot more sense.

This.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have to scan my own, cause $8 a roll for develop/scan means I'm never going to get good at this.

I know these are whatever, but they made me pretty happy (union square dance team in nyc, a band I whose promo shots I was taking, GF). All handheld.

08770001.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

08750005.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

08750007.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

08730003.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I wish you hadn't cut off their hands in this one.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

filmscan030-Edit by g.hetzel, on Flickr

filmscan032-Edit by g.hetzel, on Flickr

filmscan034-Edit by g.hetzel, on Flickr

filmscan028 by g.hetzel, on Flickr

I love this P67.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

8th-snype posted:

I wish you hadn't cut off their hands in this one.

Handy guide. Red is bad.

• Locked thread