Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

CHICKEN WHEELS

Chicken wheels are the poo poo. Say what you will, but I'd rather have a chicken wheel than just about any navy meal, and many a crappy homemade meal. Chicken wheels for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sacrilage posted:

What happened to the good old days of having to blow someone because you forgot soap for deployment?

Thanks to this post I have switched from shower gel to semen. Will report results.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Our first "class" in A-School was meat recognition.

Round - Chicken
Square - Fish
Oval - Veal

I don't remember ever having veal underway. :(

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Saga posted:

Thanks to this post I have switched from shower gel to semen. Will report results.

Another thread title.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Saga posted:

This here, is the curse of all Navy related people in the world. Semen jokes.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mad Dragon posted:

Our first "class" in A-School was meat recognition.

Round - Chicken
Square - Fish
Oval - Veal

I don't remember ever having veal underway. :(

We once had a vendor in Bahrain give us circle fish. Closest thing I've ever seen to a mutiny.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

almighty posted:

This here, is the curse of all Navy related people in the world. Semen jokes.

Not to be confused with dick jokes, which are the sole means of communication available to most true submariners. I accused my doc of only calling when he wanted to put things inside me. It was flu shot day.

TBH though, was a good semen joke. I loled.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sacrilage posted:

We once had a vendor in Bahrain give us circle fish. Closest thing I've ever seen to a mutiny.

My friend, you want copy fish?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do submariners at battlestations put on those KKK hoods like commonwealth surface ships do?

Also do any of y'all have any favorite submarine engagement scenario? I guess its all 100% secret though.

Are there kobiashi maru training scenarios? I mean training where there it is not possible to have a successful outcome from the training.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I can't speak to the engagement stuff (because I have no idea), but at least back in the poopy suit days, during battlestations we were supposed to roll down and button our sleeves, and zip up our collars. We didn't put on the flash hoods unless we were fighting a fire, in which case we also had leather gloves and an air breathing mask.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
How hosed are you if you have a fire on a submarine?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Mortabis posted:

It depends.

On my first deployment, we had fires almost every night because the cooks never cleaned the lint trap on the clothes dryer - they were put out by securing power to the dryer. I suspect most electrical fires (even in really big power supplies) would be put in this manner without using any sort of extinguishing agent.

If it is a very large 'B' class fire (liquids), or one of the fires we drill on all the time (a large, ridiculously out of control electrical fire), then I suspect the worst thing that could possibly result is an emergency blow and abandoning ship - so I suppose you could die of smoke inhalation and burns if it got that bad.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mortabis posted:

That really depends on the location. A small isolated fire like I had on my boat is not a big deal. A fire that is not noticed right away can put a boat on the bottom of the ocean.

The fire my boat had was in the galley. The OOD decided to do high angles at 2am while the midwatch cook was baking, the wet batter spilled all over the bottom of the oven and made a fire. It was put out in about 8 seconds with about 15 instant responders who were burning a flick.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ProfessorBooty posted:

so I suppose you could die of smoke inhalation and burns if it got that bad.

Can't die of smoke if you are wearing an EAB or OBA. Loss of propulsion or dive controls getting hosed up would be the killers. Plenty of manual backups if everyone is on the ball but sometimes things happen.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We had lint filter fires and an improperly waterproofed deck light that shot sparks. We also had minor smokepad fires but I guess those are abolished by now.

We had a rider from another boat who came over to get at-sea quals while they were in dry dock. The guy was a menace. Sometime after we sent him back (unqualled) we found out he'd had a major electrical switchboard open for maintenance, with it energized, and dropped a wrench or something inside, resulting in major fire damage that took weeks to repair (and burned the poo poo out of the idiot in question.)

The big thing is avoiding unsafe conditions - this means cleaning lint filters, wrapping topside electrical connections properly, keeping oil leaks under control and bilges clean and dry, not letting the cooks try to fix toasters, denuking idiots before they drop wrenches in switchgear, etc. If you do have a fire, you have to have the proper response applied as quickly as possible. This is heavily conditioned into the crew; more than once during a drill I found myself dressed and manning a hose before I was fully awake, and we had one guy randomly sleepwalk his way back to the engine room in his underpants to rig out a hose when nothing was going on. Everyone on board is supposed to know the power supplies to pretty much everything so they can pop the right breaker while dropping as few critical systems as possible.

Fires can and do kill sailors and the Russians have lost a couple boats to them.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We did a flooding drill one underway, and I'm pretty sure I went from dead asleep in fwd berthing to the engineroom with phones on in about 30 seconds. I guess the big up angle helped with that. :v:

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Let me put it this way: A nuke once told me a difference between a submariner and a skimmer is the fact that when a fire is called on board, skimmers are trained to let the firemen deal with it and stay out of their way, on the other hand a submariner immediately moves toward where the fire is called and tries to contain the situation no matter what his rating or actual job on board is.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

almighty posted:

Let me put it this way: A nuke once told me a difference between a submariner and a skimmer is the fact that when a fire is called on board, skimmers are trained to let the firemen deal with it and stay out of their way, on the other hand a submariner immediately moves toward where the fire is called and tries to contain the situation no matter what his rating or actual job on board is.

Two main reasons for that. One, everyone is trained in damage control. Two, there isn't enough dudes for dedicated DCmen like on a skimmer.

Well also it's nice to be alive and not OH GOD IM BURNING.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

ded posted:

Two main reasons for that. One, everyone is trained in damage control. Two, there isn't enough dudes for dedicated DCmen like on a skimmer.

Well also it's nice to be alive and not OH GOD IM BURNING.

Never not damage control is the bread and butter of a submarine sailor, from what I gather.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Only time you don't is when you are on certain watches.

They don't like to tell new sailors that if there is a casualty, most of them are not trained for it and will die even after training.

Fires? Good luck finding where your air plugins are.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Third World Reggin posted:

They don't like to tell new sailors that if there is a casualty, most of them are not trained for it and will die even after training.

I think the reason why people don't really think about certain death going in is the more serious submarine fires that happen mean a lost boat. You don't really have Forrestal style videos showing what happened.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

One of the favorite things they did on my boat as part of your dolphins board was to have you put on a blackout mask over your EAB and go from the torpedoroom to shaft alley. They would also do this during ships drills, for shorter distances.

You figure out pretty drat quick about how far apart & were the plugins are.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

almighty posted:

Yup.

I had a buddy on the Miami who was talking with one of the firefighters about the blaze. Conversation went something like this:

Firefighter: So you ran TOWARDS the fire, with no more protection than a jumpsuit?
JO: Yes, it's what we're trained to do.
Firefighter: Aren't you worries you're gonna, I don't know, BURN TO DEATH.
JO: I'm in a steel tube. I'm burning to death either way.

Accurate way of looking at it, really. If you look at a youtube fire progression video, then think about all the oil-soaked lagging on a sub, it's pretty apparent any REAL fire = certain death. I only had one big fire, and and within the 15 seconds before the rapid responder got there, it went from one panel to 30 sq ft of ERLL.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I love it when nukes started to use heat transfer to figure out how fast they would bake in there.

No good way to dump heat or smoke when you are under water. Best thing you can do is remove the oxygen.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I love it when nukes started to use heat transfer to figure out how fast they would bake in there.

No good way to dump heat or smoke when you are under water. Best thing you can do is remove the oxygen.

Fire removes the o2 pretty fast.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I always thought it was interesting to watch nubs trying to get around in an EAB vs more senior guys doing the same. The nubs breathed way too fast, didn't know where the taps were, and would panic trying to find them, often having to pull the mask loose to catch a breath. The experienced guys knew where all their taps were, but also knew to move in a much more relaxed manner, using a lot less air, so they'd have more time to get around.

For fire drills we put translucent hairnet things over everyone's EAB faceshield. You could see out of them, kinda, but if you didn't know where you were and what you were doing you could hurt yourself pretty good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There were a few senior guys on the maryland that would constantly put their breathing valve on the wrong side of their belt so no one could plug into them.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

We had a fire drill forward of the EPM, where there's only one plugin. I had my three stupid sailors all daisychained together, moving from CM to the EPM. At one point the dud in the back, who was in charge of pluggin into the manifolds (since he was the end guy) got panicked, and plugged himself into the forward guy. Yes, yes he did. All three of them, recirc'ing off one another.

If I had to lose a fire team, that was by far the best way.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

There were a few senior guys on the maryland that would constantly put their breathing valve on the wrong side of their belt so no one could plug into them.

Our senior RO loved to be in maneuvering for fires; he had a colon that could kill, and he would wait and save for those drill monitors. Mother fucker did it during an ORSE too; senior member was furious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sacrilage posted:

We had a fire drill forward of the EPM, where there's only one plugin. I had my three stupid sailors all daisychained together, moving from CM to the EPM. At one point the dud in the back, who was in charge of pluggin into the manifolds (since he was the end guy) got panicked, and plugged himself into the forward guy. Yes, yes he did. All three of them, recirc'ing off one another.

If I had to lose a fire team, that was by far the best way.

The nub centipede.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Had to resurrect the thread; what you guys do is really interesting for me.

Are there ever cases where an attack submarine would be chillin out near a task force, covering it from enemy submarines?

Can you guys hear other boats passing overhead like in the WWII sub movies?

Most russian subs have a sam mast or some mechanism for launching surface to air missiles while at pericope depth or surfaced while american subs don't seem to have that capability. It seems it would be very easy to stow a couple of Stinger MANPADS somewhere on board. I guess our doctrine just assumes we would have control over the air.

Is there ever a chance to fish off the side? Or play practice golf while surfaced?

Does anyone abuse tanning cream while underway?

Does anyone smuggle weed aboard?

How many bathrooms are there for the entire sub? Does the captian get his own private shitter?

Is there a brig aboard ship?

Do you guys ever get to bust colombian drug smuggling subs and get a share of the powdery booty?

What sort of things would you imagine happening if an entire sub decided that, gently caress obama, we are going to Australia where they have a functioning government and austrialian pussy; espeically after busting the cocaine sub from the last question.

For training purposes do you do TMA on civilian ships?

I've read that our main ASuW force was our attack submarines (if a carrier wasn't anywhere nearby). It doesn't seem like you guys have much in the way of ASuW weaponry; Mk48s; 4 UGM-84 and thats... it; with the retirement of the TASM. Can the Block IV Tactilol Tomahawk target surface targets? Is that hella OPSEC?

Is there a schedule for when women are allowed on subs?

What do you guys think of that new U-boat with fuel cells? It can operate much like a nuke sub, staying submerged at crusing speed for 2+ months.

Are submarine missions assigned before you guys sortie from home ports; or do you guys just chill in interesting places waiting for someone to give you guys a call?

Do you guys ever get personal internet access while underway?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Baloogan posted:

Submarine surfaces.

Hatch on conning tower pops open.

Clouds of thick white smoke billow out. Faint sounds of Bob Marley's Legend begin to drift over the waves.

Commodore's Cheech and Chong appear from within the sub.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Baloogan posted:

Are there ever cases where an attack submarine would be chillin out near a task force, covering it from enemy submarines?

Yes.

quote:

Can you guys hear other boats passing overhead like in the WWII sub movies?

Generally you do not go within a few miles of surface ships if you can avoid it, when not able to no I never did. But it really does fuckup sonar because of really loud poo poo so close.

quote:

Is there ever a chance to fish off the side? Or play practice golf while surfaced?

We never did, but we did have a few swim calls.

quote:

Were in the holy gently caress would you smoke it without anyone knowing?

quote:

How many bathrooms are there for the entire sub? Does the captian get his own private shitter?

For a 688 class boat;

Enlisted 4 toilets, 1 urinal (sometimes removed), 3 showers
Chief, 1 full bathroom
Officers, 1 full bathroom
CO/XO share a full bathroom

quote:

Is there a brig aboard ship?

No.

quote:

For training purposes do you do TMA on civilian ships?

I did TMA on every single thing I ever picked up as a contact, biologic (fish) and volcanoes included.

quote:

I've read that our main ASuW force was our attack submarines (if a carrier wasn't anywhere nearby). It doesn't seem like you guys have much in the way of ASuW weaponry; Mk48s; 4 UGM-84 and thats... it; with the retirement of the TASM. Can the Block IV Tactilol Tomahawk target surface targets? Is that hella OPSEC?

Considering a mk48 torpedo can sink any loving thing in the ocean, you don't really need anything else.

quote:

What do you guys think of that new U-boat with fuel cells? It can operate much like a nuke sub, staying submerged at crusing speed for 2+ months.

Awesome and scary. The only real drawback they have right now is a slow speed when on the cells.

quote:

Are submarine missions assigned before you guys sortie from home ports; or do you guys just chill in interesting places waiting for someone to give you guys a call?

Things are planned months/years in advance, but as anything plans can be fluid as the world does things.

Thats the stuff I can answer anyways.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Subs are more likely to be stuffed full of cocaine.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
That would be a fun sub to own. Just me, my submarine and 100kg of uncut cocaine.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Baloogan posted:

That would be a fun sub to own. Just me, my submarine and 100kg 8000kg of uncut cocaine.
ftfy

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are there common training scenarios, anything that is public? Do you guys study modern historical sub engagements?

Do you guys get chased by friendly surface ships who don't know you are there?

Are people allowed to have personal laptops on board?

ded posted:

Thats the stuff I can answer anyways.

Thanks so much man!

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 19, 2013

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I think after the whole wikileak thing or some other opsec bullshit, no one can have any personal electronics on board.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Baloogan posted:

Are there common training scenarios, anything that is public? Do you guys study modern historical sub engagements?

Do you guys get chased by friendly surface ships who don't know you are there?

Are people allowed to have personal laptops on board?

Thanks so much man!

Other than standard drills like firefighting and reactor scrams ect, we did stuff with surface ships and other subs. Pretty standard find the badguy before he finds you really. As far as the actual tactics go I've no idea thats the stuff the officers worry about.

How would a 'friendly' (there are no friendly surface contacts) ship ever see us if we didn't want them to?

When I was in yes you could have laptops. However I got out in 98 so poo poo has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We used to have personal laptops, ipods etc on board. Hell, I had a full Shuttle computer in my rack. Some of the guys still active say that's been restricted heavily (and stupidly) since Bradley Manning.

I didn't fish off the sub but we had guys who did. That's really an in-port thing, though. If you've been running slow and shallow in warmer waters you get a 'grass skirt' which is a lot of plant life growing off the sides, and wildlife love it.

The modern Mk 48 ADCAP is a loving monster of an ASuW weapon. Harpoons and longer-range missiles have problems associated with, essentially, shooting further than you can see; that's true even when launched from surface ships, it's why the Harpoon has been retired I think except for air-launch applications and the ASM Tomahawks converted to land attack. The Soviets approached the problem a little differently with their anti-CVBG missile boats but it was still mainly 'get satellite report of general location, poo poo a ton of missiles over there, hope their transponders lock onto something big'; American warships are never going to have that juicy of a target mass to shoot at. There's a variant of the Tomahawk in development for anti-ship use but it's also going down the line of using satellites for targeting and midcourse guidance, and it's still kind of looking for a use case.

• Locked thread