Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Imaginary Baron posted:

Same here, my resistance is dropping.

How extensive are the scenarios? I'd hate to spend the money on this to have limited replay value.

35 scenarios in the base game, starting in the 50's and going into the the 201X's with some near future what-if stuff. A lot of the scenarios were real engagements although there's more than a few cold-war-gone-hot scenarios. As for size and length, some scenarios have you controlling a single squadron of fighters or a single sub/ship while others have you controlling multiple task forces with land-based air support. Most of the scenarios last a few hours to two days, I haven't seen anything that goes much over 48 hours.

I've spent a few hours today getting absolutely shredded as the Argentinian airforce trying to take out the HMS Coventry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just noticed Ageod is putting out a Spanish Civil War game, carrying over some of the mechanics of Revolution Under Seige. Goddamnit you stupid Frenchies, stop making interesting games in a crap-heap of a game engine.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
So if Matrix has all this data to come up with the best price, why did they buckle and change the price on Command Ops?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Maybe it was an experiment?

Christ guys you sound more like accountants and marketing executives than grognards.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

People grumbling about stuff is the very definition of a grognard :v:

But seriously, gently caress Matrix and their prices.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Just noticed Ageod is putting out a Spanish Civil War game, carrying over some of the mechanics of Revolution Under Seige. Goddamnit you stupid Frenchies, stop making interesting games in a crap-heap of a game engine.

I've picked up AACW, RoP, PoN, RUS and CW2 and played the hell out of all of them (not PoN. Obviously.) and I'll probably get the SCW one too because where else am I going to get games about the Spanish Civil War, the Russian Revolution or the Seven Years War?

Cue grognards telling me exactly where I'm going to get games with those settings.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Infantry and other mobile land forces have their speed measured in knots and can be ordered to 'flank speed.' They ignore your orders and continue 'cruising' at 5 knots, traitors.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Speaking of sales that do exist, is Battle for Italy by SSG any good? I think I need a North Africa/Mediterranean game at some point to scratch my "reading Army at Dawn" itch. Any better games (that aren't 80 bucks) for this theater?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jakse posted:

Speaking of sales that do exist, is Battle for Italy by SSG any good? I think I need a North Africa/Mediterranean game at some point to scratch my "reading Army at Dawn" itch. Any better games (that aren't 80 bucks) for this theater?

There's always Combat Mission: Fortress Italy although that's just shy of that $80.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

uPen posted:

There's always Combat Mission: Fortress Italy although that's just shy of that $80.

It looks fantastic but for once this hobby owns because my pc is old and lovely so everything runs.

Except that.

I should be better at clarifying after 13 hours of work.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 27, 2013

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Jakse posted:

I don't know there is much else that covers it at that scale besides scenarios in TOAW.

E: Tiller should have some titles that cover some North Africa operations.

vyshka fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 27, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I need someone to like, record themselves playing Command for an hour or two, commentary would be good but isn't neccessary. I just cannot bring myself to purchase a game for this many monies without at least seeing the gameplay in action.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Baloogan posted:

Maybe it was an experiment?

Christ guys you sound more like accountants and marketing executives than grognards.

Because I would love to own just one or two of these games but I can't justify spending such a ridiculous amount of cash.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm going to try streaming it and answer questions. I've been in the command beta for a while and my (real!) name is in the credits!

http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Those poor sailors on the DD Rowan :salute:

E: Those poor sailors on the Newport News :salute: :)

vyshka fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 27, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Clusterbombing torpedoboats: not actually a viable tactic.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Okay so accessible UI is at about Aurora levels, same goes for general fidelity it seems.

In tyool 2013.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Koesj posted:

Okay so accessible UI is at about Aurora levels, same goes for general fidelity it seems.

In tyool 2013.

Aurora's the first thing I thought of when I saw Baloogan's stream.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cheers guys, I really quite like nukes. Harpoon never had enough nukes for me.

I'm thinking of streaming sandbox gameplay; its where I think the game really shines.

Its quite a bit more accessible than Aurora; and has the same missile for missile (with lots of range circles) style gameplay. But yeah it sometimes looks like a database program (which it kinda is at its heart)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

dublish posted:

Aurora's the first thing I thought of when I saw Baloogan's stream.

:hf:

All that for €77.43!

I'm anxious to see what FPC:Red Storm's priced at.

Baloogan posted:

Its quite a bit more accessible than Aurora;

It somehow looks less intuitive than Harpoon to me.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Koesj posted:

All that for €77.43!

Now that things have calmed down a bit at work I really should spend some time with the beta.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Koesj posted:

All that for €77.43!

It somehow looks less intuitive than Harpoon to me.

It's actually extremely easy to play, the interface just looks more complicated than it is because it's so bare bones. It is extremely functional which is a step in the right direction.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

vyshka posted:

Now that things have calmed down a bit at work I really should spend some time with the beta.

Yeah I should as well. When your last cold war fix was ALB it's a bit hard to get into though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I believe the game actually comes with tutorials so that'd probably ease the learning curve somewhat.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

vyshka posted:

Those poor sailors on the DD Rowan :salute:

E: Those poor sailors on the Newport News :salute: :)

Yeah, I dropped the ball on that one, should have cleaned up the patrol boats. If I went after the patrol boats, maybe also aimed at very long range at all their shore radars that I could hit I could have made my ship's target ambiguity larger, possibly too large to target effectively. Also I could have turned off sensors on my ships, I was giving them my bearing every time my radars radiated.

ArchangeI posted:

Clusterbombing torpedoboats: not actually a viable tactic.

I think the soft targets on land would have been a more effective use of my air support. A NOE approach followed by a bombing and quick low level exfiltration would have been a good use of them. Radars off to mask the approach.

Edit: I'm thinking of streaming COMMAND; if anyone has any requests (eg, do the tutorials, carrier operations, land missions, mexican navy vs American CVBG) I can focus on any topics of interest.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 27, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jakse posted:

Battle for Italy doesn't have any NA theatre scenarios. There is basically Operation Husky (Sicily) and Operation Avalanche (Salerno). I would recommend waiting for the upcoming El Alamein by Shenandoah Studio.

e:

dublish posted:

I've picked up AACW, RoP, PoN, RUS and CW2 and played the hell out of all of them (not PoN. Obviously.) and I'll probably get the SCW one too because where else am I going to get games about the Spanish Civil War, the Russian Revolution or the Seven Years War?

Cue grognards telling me exactly where I'm going to get games with those settings.

There is a Tiller Squad Battles game for the SCW -

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/SB/SCW/SCW.html

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 27, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jakse posted:

I personally can't stand the game. This is what it looks like:

I don't know about anyone else, but the terrain map is just way too busy, the counters don't have any useful information on them, and overall it's just find it really difficult to understand what's going on even after reading the manual. The combat system is supposed to be boardgame based and good, but it's buried beneath what looks like a clown crapping on your monitor.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

but it's buried beneath what looks like a clown crapping on your monitor.

This needs to make it into a thread title :)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Grognard Games Megathread - Buried beneath a clown crapping on your monitor for $105 bux

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

vyshka posted:

So if Matrix has all this data to come up with the best price, why did they buckle and change the price on Command Ops?

The guy who develops Command Ops seems like a decent chap willing to listen (at least a little) to everyone and their mother all saying that Matrix's business practices are terrible. It's telling that he's trying hard to adopt Battlefront's product strategy: a core game release with regular modules that add scenarios and update the engine a little.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I always picture Matrix as Professor Frink describing how computers will evolve:

"It is my prediction that within 10 years, computers will be twice as powerful, ten thousand times larger, and so expensive that only the 5 richest kings of Europe will own them."

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Classy. one the matrix people asked a complainer to tell everyone which Matrix games he owns/plays.

I'm tempted with the game, but have so many already that should be played that I will probably wait a while. So no more streaming!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Going away from Matrix price-chat for a bit, why are there so many strategic-level American Civil War games, anyway? Gary Grigsby has one, AGEOD has two (plus the Pride of Nations scenario DLC), and then there's also Forge of Freedom. I figured that most wargaming interest in the ACW came from the tactical battles (what if Stonewall Jackson was at Gettysburg Day 2 and circled around south and to the left even further, etc.) and that even if you wanted the South to win strategically, it still comes down to winning battles, which strategic-level games (except perhaps FOF) don't let you play out yourself.

I guess it's somewhat like a War in the Pacific thing where you're trying to do it better/faster as the North and drag it out as the South?

EDIT: I couldn't help myself with that guy that was asking "well how many wargames do you actually own?", and as a bonus discovered that Matrix's forum software is worse than even Paradox's.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 27, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Going away from Matrix price-chat for a bit, why are there so many strategic-level American Civil War games, anyway? Gary Grigsby has one, AGEOD has two (plus the Pride of Nations scenario DLC), and then there's also Forge of Freedom. I figured that most wargaming interest in the ACW came from the tactical battles (what if Stonewall Jackson was at Gettysburg Day 2 and circled around south and to the left even further, etc.) and that even if you wanted the South to win strategically, it still comes down to winning battles, which strategic-level games (except perhaps FOF) don't let you play out yourself.

I guess it's somewhat like a War in the Pacific thing where you're trying to do it better/faster as the North and drag it out as the South?

EDIT: I couldn't help myself with that guy that was asking "well how many wargames do you actually own?", and as a bonus discovered that Matrix's forum software is worse than even Paradox's.

What a douchey pissing contest. Yeah, for me I wouldn't pass the smell test because WitE is the only REALLY grognardy game I own. Then again, I have close to ten, I've done one lp of their games and currently doing another. I don't give a poo poo about Command, but I hope they lower the price so the hobby grows and, for example, I can get more games in a theater I want. That an games like PzC and Unity of Command

I guess I can just spam Viktor about maybe going to North Africa.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would love some bayonet and musket games with hexes on a battlefield.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
What tactical Civil War games are there, actually? The last one I remember playing was Civil War General 2, and I'll admit I got that off Home of the Underdogs while that was still up.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Would Tiller's civil war games count? I'm curious to see how Brother against Brother from the Forge of freedom guys turns out.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

Cheers guys, I really quite like nukes. Harpoon never had enough nukes for me.

I'm thinking of streaming sandbox gameplay; its where I think the game really shines.

Its quite a bit more accessible than Aurora; and has the same missile for missile (with lots of range circles) style gameplay. But yeah it sometimes looks like a database program (which it kinda is at its heart)

If you stream more, you should save the videos on Twitch so that those of us who are at work/otherwise busy can watch them after. You'd be my hero ;-*

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Tomn posted:

The last one I remember playing was Civil War General 2,
That game was awesome. Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles 1846-1905 released a year or two before also had a bunch of American Civil War battles, plus a ton of scenarios from around the world from the Franco-Prussian War to the Zulu War. Pretty fun.
As mentioned, John Tiller has a bunch of tactical level hex civil war games. http://www.johntillersoftware.com/CivilWarBattles.html

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mr. Showtime posted:

If you stream more, you should save the videos on Twitch so that those of us who are at work/otherwise busy can watch them after. You'd be my hero ;-*

Yeah please do this. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

vyshka posted:

Classy. one the matrix people asked a complainer to tell everyone which Matrix games he owns/plays.

I'd post something like:

"Cross of Iron.

But that's the drat point. I'm a 90s kid and now really interested in these detailed wargames, but I can't give them a try because they're priced so expensively and don't have any way for me to try 'hands-on' if I like it, if my computer can run it, and so on. And I know I can't not the only one in that predicament.

Matrix wants to be the ones who hail a wargaming renaissance, but right now they seem to be locking themselves in their temples, jealously guarding their flames. They ought to take those flames out into the world and challenge one and all, say stuff like 'oh-ho-ho, you think your Call of Duty and Red Orchestra are realistic? B****, you got nothing on what we got! Your shooter can have four people commanding squads simultaneously? We can have four people commanding ARMIES! You think you're special because you killed that guy with one shot? We can sink the Yamato, burn down Berlin, send tens of thousands to their deaths at Ypres, invade San Carlos, nuke Moscow, and do all of that before BREAKFAST! With one click! You think you're hardcore?!'

After all, the Close Combat series was originally advertised as just a normal game, right?"

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 27, 2013