Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I installed MGSO and Morrowind Rebirth, but I really want to keep MGSO's trees and grass, and Morrowind Rebirth's page says to disable them. Is there any way around this? I assume it creates a lot of grass in areas where there shouldn't be for Rebirth. If I can't accomplish this, how worth it is Morrowind Rebirth?

Also, female NPCs in Seyda Neen are nude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Quote isn't Edit.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Rebirth changes a lot of geography so grass and trees will not line up correctly using MGSO. Until someone or the author makes a compatible patch for the grass there's just nothing you can do sadly.

I know of a grass patch for Rebirth 1.9 but nothing for the latest version I think.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I figured. I'll pass on Rebirth for now, and I got my grass back. Thanks!

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
I starting Morrowind for what feels like the 50th time, and I've decided to go with a fairly straight-forward mage character with Long Blade as a minor skill. If I have Alchemy down in a minor slot, should I bother with Restoration if I can just use healing potions instead? Any other suggestions that might improve my character?

http://morrowind.inventivegamer.com/tools/chargen/?character=2,2,9,2,3,2,22,11,16,12,15,17,14,13,6,9

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Dwayne Bensey posted:

I starting Morrowind for what feels like the 50th time, and I've decided to go with a fairly straight-forward mage character with Long Blade as a minor skill. If I have Alchemy down in a minor slot, should I bother with Restoration if I can just use healing potions instead? Any other suggestions that might improve my character?

http://morrowind.inventivegamer.com/tools/chargen/?character=2,2,9,2,3,2,22,11,16,12,15,17,14,13,6,9

Restoration is useful if you want to do cheesy attribute-boosting spells ("Fortify X 100 points for 1 second"). It also synergizes well with alchemy, since a Fortify Intelligence spell lets you create better potions, and it's a good starting point if you're planning to exploit alchemy. Besides that, it's good to have as a backup in case you run out of the type of potion you need. I can't think of anything you could replace it with that would be more useful, except possibly Enchanting if you're going to use a lot of magic items.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Unless you use rebalance mods (and then, all bets are off) there is no wrong way to play Morrowind. It's a bit hard at start, but you'll soon become god regardless of the path you take. After a decade of playing battlemage-types with longsword and heavy armor, I made a monk character with Atronach sign. Monks are gods. They can kill anything with their bare hands.

Atronach protip: use the shrines to recharge your magic points. Both "Almsivi Restoration" (Shrine of St. Veloth, Shrine of the Tribunal) and "Restore Attributes" (Imperial Cult Altar) work for that: they actually consist of four spells cast at once, and you're practically guaranteed to absorb at least one.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Getting back into Morrowind (again), and I really love the new MGSO. Everything's automatic! No more carefully referencing someone else's setup and double-checking my steps! The only thing is, I kinda regret picking the super-dark lighting mod, and I want to redo the graphical update to extend the draw distance. The mist is nice around Seyda Neen, but I'd prefer to see a little further everywhere else. Can I run something specifically to reset these, or do I have to restore back to a vanilla Morrowind install and do the whole thing over?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
There's an options program in your Morrowind file that should let you remove the lighting mod. TLM alters your config file, so you have to change that back through there, or look up the default values on the internet somewhere. As for draw distance, you can extend that by opening MGEXE and twidling with the options under 'distant land'.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I've got my lighting and draw distance woes solved, but now I'm hitting a really weird error with Etherwind's house mod in Balmora. When I enter the house, it throws a model error saying there isn't a .nif file in meshes/f/Furn_De_Table_03.nif. The only thing is, I went to that folder and that .nif file is right there. I remember this working without a hitch the last time I used this- any idea what's going on?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Deleting that .nif file will fix the problem. I had the same issue and when I deleted the file the problem went away.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I can't figure out what the balls I'm doing wrong. Modded up a new game with MSGO (minus Distant Lands) and a couple of Less Generic .esp's, played just fine until I realized a little while ago I hadn't added Less Generic's NoLore .esp. Closed the game, moved the file to Data Files, reopened the launcher with admin privileges just in case... and found absolutely nothing listed under Data Files. The pane is empty. I've never had this happen before; the files are all still present in my Data Files folder; I am too computer stupid to understand what the hell is going on.

If anyone can give me any tips, they would be greatly appreciated.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

elise the great posted:

I can't figure out what the balls I'm doing wrong. Modded up a new game with MSGO (minus Distant Lands) and a couple of Less Generic .esp's, played just fine until I realized a little while ago I hadn't added Less Generic's NoLore .esp. Closed the game, moved the file to Data Files, reopened the launcher with admin privileges just in case... and found absolutely nothing listed under Data Files. The pane is empty. I've never had this happen before; the files are all still present in my Data Files folder; I am too computer stupid to understand what the hell is going on.

Don't know, sounds like a bug. I'd try using a different utility like the Nexus Mod Manager or such to enable the mod that way.

Bird Person
Nov 18, 2002

It has been a... challenging mating season for Bird Person
Anyone know a good "dual wielding" mod for Morrowind? By dual wielding I mean shields that look like daggers, swords, etc., and that aren't stupid hard to find?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Has anyone tried the latest Tamriel Rebuilt release? I kinda wanna reinstall Morrowind and try it out, but not unless it's really worth it.

I mean I guess it doesn't matter if it sucks because I'll still end up playing for another several hundred hours like I always do, but the last TR region seemed lackluster compared to the first one they did.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

Has anyone tried the latest Tamriel Rebuilt release? I kinda wanna reinstall Morrowind and try it out, but not unless it's really worth it.

I mean I guess it doesn't matter if it sucks because I'll still end up playing for another several hundred hours like I always do, but the last TR region seemed lackluster compared to the first one they did.

Which was the last one you played, Antediluvian Secrets or Sacred East? AS was a much smaller release just designed to fill in the rest of the Telvanni region, whereas Sacred East was a much bigger region on par in size with the first release, Telvannis. Their most latest patch included a small chunk, not enough to call it a release, but a new chunk.

In any case, even if you don't play it, it's worth it just to install so when you generate distant land you can see it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Panicked Spathi posted:

Anyone know a good "dual wielding" mod for Morrowind? By dual wielding I mean shields that look like daggers, swords, etc., and that aren't stupid hard to find?

Off the top of my head, Assassin's armory is probably along the lines of what you're looking for (and one of the more popular weapon mods, to boot). It basically adds an assortment of new weapons, but many of those weapons also have "defensive" equivalents that are wielded in the off hand and act like shields.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I haven't tried out the latest "mini-Release" but Sacred East is pretty great. As long as you're not having land conflicts with other created landspaces overlapping where TR is, there's not much reason to not use it, especially since installation is fairly straight forward these days.

My only gripe about TR currently is that the TR added equipment clashes very poorly with the hi-resolution texture overhauls that are out now. Even the older Darknut stuff is a lot better. Considering that's my only complaint it's pretty drat good. I just regret that I'll probably be 40 by the time they complete the project.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

elise the great posted:

Are you using the steam version? This happened to me. I don't remember how I fixed it or if I even did, but I remember it tools hours and thinking it might have something to so with steam saving stuff like that in the cloud.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Are you using the steam version? This happened to me. I don't remember how I fixed it or if I even did, but I remember it tools hours and thinking it might have something to so with steam saving stuff like that in the cloud.

I think problems with Morrowind on Steam can usually be fixed by turning off Steam cloud and the Steam overlay.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Yeah, using the steam version with the cloud/overlay turned off. I haven't successfully fixed it yet, but I think I need to find that Nexus Mod Manager and try it instead.

Steeeeeeam :argh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Edit: wait no, that was the solution to a different problem with Steam.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 25, 2013

Bird Person
Nov 18, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Off the top of my head, Assassin's armory is probably along the lines of what you're looking for (and one of the more popular weapon mods, to boot). It basically adds an assortment of new weapons, but many of those weapons also have "defensive" equivalents that are wielded in the off hand and act like shields.

Thanks for this! The link for the mod on PES is broken, so I had to tool around looking for the mod for a bit.

Now I'm looking for help using the macro system in MSGO. Basically, this is what I want: When I press the quickslot button, the macro reads as putting my melee weapon down, selecting the quickslot and immediately casting the spell, then putting my melee weapon back up. I think that this would give me MMO-like hotkeys / combat, which sounds like a lot of fun in Morrowind.

I spent several hours tinkering around in MSGO and the MGE options (MGEXEgui) menu that installs with MGSO and I couldn't figure out how the poo poo to do this, despite others posting about doing just this in the thread. The MGE-XE gui has macro options, but they make no sense to me. I haven't played Morrowind in a really long time and haven't played it heavily modded ever. I got Morrowind and my mods working fine, now I want to tweak the gameplay to make it more enjoyable.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Panicked Spathi posted:

Now I'm looking for help using the macro system in MSGO. Basically, this is what I want: When I press the quickslot button, the macro reads as putting my melee weapon down, selecting the quickslot and immediately casting the spell, then putting my melee weapon back up. I think that this would give me MMO-like hotkeys / combat, which sounds like a lot of fun in Morrowind.

It's a feature called "swift casting" and is enabled through the Morrowind Code Patch under the Game mechanic changes section, not MGE.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It's a feature called "swift casting" and is enabled through the Morrowind Code Patch under the Game mechanic changes section, not MGE.

Yep! I've setup Morrowind this way and it significantly improves the whole experience of the game. All the game needs from there is tab targeting and a hotbar, which I honestly think would improve things even more.

Actually, and something tells me I'm not alone here, but I think combat in TES games is so terrible that they'd probably all benefit from full-on WoW combat engine conversions.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 28, 2013

Bird Person
Nov 18, 2002

Thanks, y'all. I got it all running smoothly, and it really does a lot to improve the quality of combat. Combined with the fair magicka regen mod, I'm having a lot of fun playing a mage.

I have another probably-idiot question, though. I'm trying to use the FPS optimizer. It works and improves my FPS, but my game goes from a true 16:9 to a terribly-stretched-out-awful-looking-hacked-16:9 when I run the program. I'm using MGSO and MGE and even edited the registry settings to fix this, but no dice. I'd really like to use the FPS optimizer for the (pretty incredible) performance boost but I'm not willing to play in Stretch Armstrong mode. I've done some internet searches and haven't found a fix.

Any advice?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
It's been sooooo long since I've dived into Morrowind. What's the go-to mod managing utility these days? Should I be doing everything with a Wrye tool, or is there something more Mod Organizer-y / Morrowind/Nexus Mod Manager-y that I should be relying on? Or is this the Wild West of just slap some poo poo into directories and pray to Sotha Sil?

(Didn't see anything that directly answered this in the OP.)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I use mlox, a tool that automatically sorts your mod order, Nexus Mod Manager for manual mod ordering and Wrye Mash for save game management.

So pretty much download mod, install, use mlox, if that doesn't work (it doesn't know the mod, or you have personal mods to reorder, or it's just flat out wrong) load up NMM and move the offending mods manually, then load up Wrye Mash and update my save game's master list so as to eliminate doubling and update mods to new versions (a lot of mods use version names, so if you are using an old version and try to update it doesn't recognize the old mod as being the new mod).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

GreatGreen posted:

Yep! I've setup Morrowind this way and it significantly improves the whole experience of the game. All the game needs from there is tab targeting and a hotbar, which I honestly think would improve things even more.

Actually, and something tells me I'm not alone here, but I think combat in TES games is so terrible that they'd probably all benefit from full-on WoW combat engine conversions.

Luckily for you, there's this thing called Elder Scrolls Online coming out next year....

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Luckily for you, there's this thing called Elder Scrolls Online coming out next year....

Aaaahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Good one.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Well I just did a MGSO install and, after a few years away from Morrowind, I basically feel like a Rip Van Winkle who's woken up to a world of flying cars and robot maids.

edit:

Berke Negri posted:

I think the forums are acting up; all I'm seeing is an empty post here...?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a mod that adds Oblivion style map tracking or fast travel to the game? My only real gripe with Morrowind is that it's hard to remember/get back to dungeons you stumble past on your way to do quests. At minimum I want any named entryway I pass to be marked on my map. If there's a way for me to note whether I've explored it or not, that'd be better. Clicking to travel there would be nice but isn't a big deal. I don't want a quest compass or anything, just a way to keep track of places I've found but not gone into.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have installed the MGSO. Is it possible to also add in the official add-ons (Adamantium Armor, Area Effect Arrows, Siege at Firemoth, Propylon Index) without causing problems? If so, then how would I adjust the load order of mods?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I am currently burning down my copy of Morrowind and starting over with a fresh install, so I am experiencing all over the joy of manually installing like sixty mods.

But all the DLC should be fine. The only one you can skip is bitter coast sounds which iirc is already included in MGSO. Mlox should sort out your load order but in general you'd probably want Area Effect Arrows after anything that changes Vivec, Foreign Quarter as it adds a shop, I think.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a mod that adds Oblivion style map tracking or fast travel to the game? My only real gripe with Morrowind is that it's hard to remember/get back to dungeons you stumble past on your way to do quests. At minimum I want any named entryway I pass to be marked on my map. If there's a way for me to note whether I've explored it or not, that'd be better. Clicking to travel there would be nice but isn't a big deal. I don't want a quest compass or anything, just a way to keep track of places I've found but not gone into.

There's a mod that lets you mark multiple spots, and when you recall you can choose which spot to recall to.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1397

I think it's the closest thing you're gonna get.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Nietzschean posted:

I have installed the MGSO. Is it possible to also add in the official add-ons (Adamantium Armor, Area Effect Arrows, Siege at Firemoth, Propylon Index) without causing problems? If so, then how would I adjust the load order of mods?

Yes, it should be- MGSO is largely graphical mods, so nearly all mods should be unaffected, not just the official mods. You should install them at the end of the load order anyway- the easiest way to do that is get a mod manager, like Nexus Mod Manager, and just use it to shift them down in the load order. It's pretty simple, but if you have questions just ask.

Alternatively, MGSO installs mlox natively, just run that and it will fix your load order for you. It's in your Morrowind folder.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

There's a mod that lets you mark multiple spots, and when you recall you can choose which spot to recall to.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1397

I think it's the closest thing you're gonna get.

I already have that one. The more important thing to me is being able to easily track which dungeons I've bothered to explore. Otherwise there's nothing stopping me from removing the mark once I've explored it and then accidentally re-exploring it later.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I already have that one. The more important thing to me is being able to easily track which dungeons I've bothered to explore. Otherwise there's nothing stopping me from removing the mark once I've explored it and then accidentally re-exploring it later.

I usually drop something in front of the doorway to remind me. If it's one I intend to revisit because I've left unaltered containers for the 72-hour cleanup to forget its contents (hoping for grand soul gems to spawn), then I leave a coin in front of the door. Once they're cleaned out, I drop a vase or bowl or bottle or some other junk I got from the containers that I don't want.

Also, this is the best multi-mark mod I've found: http://download.fliggerty.com/download-37-292. You can drop way more marks with it and it also lets you call companions as a group.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm hearing the siren call of Morrowind again. Do you guys know that faint feeling when you look at some screenshot of a game you love but haven't played in a while, and you know that you'll be wearing a full set of glass armor some time in a few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shibawanko posted:

I'm hearing the siren call of Morrowind again. Do you guys know that faint feeling when you look at some screenshot of a game you love but haven't played in a while, and you know that you'll be wearing a full set of glass armor some time in a few weeks?

It's kind of like Deus Ex, where even hearing it mentioned in a conversation makes me want to start a new game.