Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

GrAviTy84 posted:

this was literally answered on this very page of this very thread at the very top.

Welp, I feel dumb now. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The USDA recommends 160F for safe ground beef. It also says "well done" beneath that. Does 150F mean medium well?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SERPUS posted:

The USDA recommends 160F for safe ground beef. It also says "well done" beneath that. Does 150F mean medium well?
There is no universally accepted standard, and different references give different numbers for different levels of doneness.

It's worth noting that the USDA recommendations are guided by food safety, and represent the temperature at which food is rendered safe immediately. Doneness levels are (typically) used independent of food safety concerns, to reflect aesthetic preferences. In the modern kitchen the cook has more latitude of how to satisfy both requirements (e.g. by things like sous vide cooking to achieve full pasteurisation of the food at very low temperatures and then being able to cook to whatever apparent level of doneness is required for palatability) and so it's probably good to stay in the habit of treating the two separately.

What are you actually trying to do?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Make sure my stuffed peppers are safe to eat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SERPUS posted:

Make sure my stuffed peppers are safe to eat.
I'm not sure what recipe/technique you're using, but whenever I do stuffed peppers I brown the meat and veg (onions, garlic, whatever) and blanch the peppers separately, then combine them to be finished in the oven. If you do it that way, the beef's safe to eat after being browned.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Yes, this. Also, that way you can drain off your ground beef and not have the inside of your peppers swimming with unnecessary fat and water. (I don't blanch my peppers though; personal preference.)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm making oxtail stew and my recipe starts off with "get your butcher to prepare 2 oxtails." My butcher leaped ahead of me and sold me a pack of prepared oxtail weighing 1 kg. I've got an inkling that's only 1 tail and I should halve the rest of the quantities, but I was wondering if anybody could confirm.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's fine. Since you're making a stew, don't worry about precise measurement.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's fine. Since you're making a stew, don't worry about precise measurement.

Double or half quantity isn't so much 'precise' as more of a bigger deal in terms of tasty ox tail to the rest of the soup ratio.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm making oxtail stew and my recipe starts off with "get your butcher to prepare 2 oxtails." My butcher leaped ahead of me and sold me a pack of prepared oxtail weighing 1 kg. I've got an inkling that's only 1 tail and I should halve the rest of the quantities, but I was wondering if anybody could confirm.

Wikipedia says this: An oxtail typically weighs 2 to 4 lbs. (1–1.8 kg) and is skinned and cut into short lengths for sale.

I'd half your measurements, or buy another!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Azn Sensation posted:

Double or half quantity isn't so much 'precise' as more of a bigger deal in terms of tasty ox tail to the rest of the soup ratio.

Wikipedia says this: An oxtail typically weighs 2 to 4 lbs. (1–1.8 kg) and is skinned and cut into short lengths for sale.

I'd half your measurements, or buy another!

The soup will be fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just look at how much meat you have on them and decide for yourself

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going with the recipe as printed as there's no point in serving a stew in a thimble. Which is a good thing too, as every time I try to halve quantities I forget midway through.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Measurements are for bakers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
On the other hand, more meat is not a bad option to live with

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

On the other hand, more meat is not a bad option to live with

This is true. But it's also not something to stress over.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

you can also add a different cut if you want, esp because oxtails are stupid expensive now (:arghfist: drat yuppie foodies "discovering" off cuts). Short ribs, or beef cheeks, or brisket all work great in stew alongside oxtails.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you go to "ethnic" markets, shank is still cheap as well. Basically, you want things with lots of connective tissue.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So long story short, I was an idiot tonight.

Went to put a nice sear on two sous vizzled steaks. Got a cast iron pan and stainless steel pan both scorching hot. Added some canola to the cast iron and it smoked a bit, not much, and then added steak-perfect crust.

Did the same to the stainless and we had a fire. Burnt my hand up pretty good and completely scorched the poo poo out of the pan. Won't come off with some scrubbing.

Is this a job for Barkeepers friend and a brillo pad or something? Lesson learned though-next time I'll add oil prior to heating the pan. I'm guessing the cast iron was ok because it was able to absorb more of the heat?

edit: also, a completely unrelated question. I notice that when I'm cooking something like a chicken breast, I'll put a bit of canola oil in the pan, get it hot, and then cook the breast. No matter what, there's always a ton of oil that spatters all over the stovetop. Is there any way to avoid this? Here's what I'm thinking are the possibilities:

1) Too much oil. I don't think I use too much, but it's not like I know what the right amount is. I just pour a bit in and swirl it around the pan.
2) Chicken has too much water content. I never pat the chicken breast down before putting in the pan. Could the water/oil mixture in the pan be creating this spattering?
3) Too much heat. I don't think this is it either, I normally put it around 5-7 on a scale of 1-10 (electric stove).

nwin fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 27, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The cast iron pan heated up slower, so it wasn't at the point where it would start a fire. I dunno how to salvage the stainless steel - Barkeepers Friend and a brillo pad is worth a try. Maybe steel wool if that doesn't do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nwin posted:

edit: also, a completely unrelated question. I notice that when I'm cooking something like a chicken breast, I'll put a bit of canola oil in the pan, get it hot, and then cook the breast. No matter what, there's always a ton of oil that spatters all over the stovetop.

When I was making chicken breasts every other day, I bought a small screen to go over my pan so that I didn't have an inch of grease coating my kitchen and living room.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

When I was making chicken breasts every other day, I bought a small screen to go over my pan so that I didn't have an inch of grease coating my kitchen and living room.

I use one of these everytime I make bacon. Saves a lot of cleanup time on the stovetop after.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I was really wishing I owned one of those last week when I made wings. What a mess. And I have a lovely range with no covers for the coils, so it was a huge pain in the rear end. Of course I never remember to actually buy one, because I fry so infrequently.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Breaky posted:

I use one of these everytime I make bacon. Saves a lot of cleanup time on the stovetop after.

I have one of those. It's made of silicon. The problem I see with that is all the steam condenses on the top so when you take the lid off, all the water goes back in the pan/ on the stovetop and spatters again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nwin posted:

I have one of those. It's made of silicon. The problem I see with that is all the steam condenses on the top so when you take the lid off, all the water goes back in the pan/ on the stovetop and spatters again.

Mine's just a thin wire mesh hoop with a rubber coating around the edge and a handle. Sometimes you get a tiny bit of condensation roll back in, especially if it's gotten dirty, but usually it's not an issue.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone ever cook Wahoo (fish)? I got a few lbs of filets of it from a coworker whose husband runs a charter fishing boat. I can think of a few things to do with it, but never heard of any specific good recipes for it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

That sounds awful. This is what you should use:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-746588-13-Inch-Splatter-Guard/dp/B00004SU1E

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I've been wanting to try making my own karelian pastries after having a couple someone bought for me in Sweden. Looking up the recipe online has given me a good deal of variations on fillings and whether the crust is purely rye flour or rye and wheat flour. Does anyone have experience making these and know a recipe that's worked best for them?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
How do I strengthen the flavor of yellow curry powder? I'm trying to make a yellow chicken curry but the flavor is just really weak. I keep adding more powder but its not really working. Is there something else I can use to enhance it?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SERPUS posted:

How do I strengthen the flavor of yellow curry powder? I'm trying to make a yellow chicken curry but the flavor is just really weak. I keep adding more powder but its not really working. Is there something else I can use to enhance it?

How old is it?

Cumin, tumeric, mustard seed, fenugreek, fennel seed and white peppercorn are all likely ingredients.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
2006 vintage

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SERPUS posted:

salt/fish sauce/msg/palmsugar Adding more powder (assuming it is fresh, which 2006 is stale as the day is long, throw that poo poo out like, in 2007) will just make the texture grainy, what you need is to turn up the volume on it. Aforementioned ingredients do that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is it bad that since I got some MSG for a recipe, I've been adding it to gravies made when doing a roast dinner because I can't work out what its missing and msg fixes it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Is it bad that since I got some MSG for a recipe, I've been adding it to gravies made when doing a roast dinner because I can't work out what its missing and msg fixes it?
Not at all, but if you're making meat gravies and they're missing something, the causes are probably one or more of: not enough fat in the gravy, not enough aeromatics in the stock, not enough salt. If MSG is adjusting it to cover what it's missing, my guess is the first or last of those.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

no, it is not bad in the slightest.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I've been frying a lot recently (I should invest in one of those splatter screens too). Up till now, I've been throwing the oil away, but now that I'm doing it more, how should I reserve the leftover oil? Do coffee filters work in straining out the finer particles? Should I throw the container in the fridge (I'm using peanut oil), or can I leave it on the counter?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kinmik posted:

I've been frying a lot recently (I should invest in one of those splatter screens too). Up till now, I've been throwing the oil away, but now that I'm doing it more, how should I reserve the leftover oil? Do coffee filters work in straining out the finer particles? Should I throw the container in the fridge (I'm using peanut oil), or can I leave it on the counter?

I have someting like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390540920884

but significantly cheaper that I got from Daiso (I think it was like 8bux). It's basically a can with a fine mesh strainer on the top. Works really really well to keep the oil fairly clean of coarse particles. Fine particles will eventually settle and I'll decant off the oil, wash the container, discard half of the oil and replenish with fresh oil. You want a bit of old oil anyway because it helps with browning.

edit: here's a more reasonably priced one http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-ST-40FF-...ainer+container

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 27, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kinmik posted:

I don't think storing in the fridge is necessary, but a cool dark place is probably good enough. There is a limit to how many times you can reuse oil, so it's probably best to give it a sniff test before using. It shouldn't smell bad, like spoilage or fishy. If it does, chuck and start over with fresh oil.

I use cheese cloth to strain personally, few layers in a funnel and then that back into the jug. A coffee filter would work too, most likely, but it may be slower to filter through. Don't know, never tried personally.

On the same topic, what's the best way to dispose of large quantities of used cooking oil?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

On the same topic, what's the best way to dispose of large quantities of used cooking oil?

donate to local hippie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

donate to local hippie
Either that or Libertarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

GrAviTy84 posted:

donate to local hippie

Yeah I googled it after asking and I think the first thing that came back was a list of uses and it included such gems as

Make Soap
Make Candles
Make Bio-diesel from it
Make a lava lamp
Mix it in with feed for farm animals
Mix it with peanut butter and birdseed and feed birds with it
Shave with it?!?