Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rappinrodney.ogg
Apr 24, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

Professional PSP opinion: Was Goldberg good in the ring? For the vast majority of his undefeated streak, all I remember is spear + jackhammer. After that, I was busy moving around the country and couldn't care, except he crippled Brett Hart or something. I hear he had a good match against Regal, as well as one against DDP, but are there others? Don't mention the Lesnar match, please.

I see Goldberg as a worker with great physical presence and charisma who was set up to fail despite being booked exceedingly well early in his career. The WCW Power Plant was a shitbox that provided an insane physical regimen and little else, which is likely why later graduates like Sean O'Haire and Jindrak were such washouts. WWE only exposed Goldberg because they wanted to, considering he was about on par with most of the Attitude era's ME in terms of skill.

edit: beaten a few times over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

I see Goldberg as a worker with great physical presence and charisma who was set up to fail despite being booked exceedingly well early in his career. The WCW Power Plant was a shitbox that provided an insane physical regimen and little else, which is likely why later graduates like Sean O'Haire and Jindrak were such washouts. WWE only exposed Goldberg because they wanted to, considering he was about on par with most of the Attitude era's ME in terms of skill.

I was with you until that last part. The Main Eventers of the Attitude Era were many, many leagues more skilled than Goldberg in just about every facet of ring work.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 27, 2013

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah seriously, Steve Austin, the Rock, Triple H, Foley, and most others who tangled with the Attitude Era main event scene could all work circles around Goldberg, if not athletically, then psychologically, which is much more important.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

The WCW Power Plant was a shitbox that provided an insane physical regimen and little else
This is interesting to me, because I'm curious to know why David Flair was perennially a bad wrestler. He went through the Power Plant, and then he spent a lot of time in WWE developmental before getting released. And yet he's always been crap.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Castomira posted:

This is interesting to me, because I'm curious to know why David Flair was perennially a bad wrestler.

He got Stacy Kiebler cooties.

If George Clooney tried his hand at pro wrestling nowadays, he'd suck just as bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Castomira posted:

This is interesting to me, because I'm curious to know why David Flair was perennially a bad wrestler. He went through the Power Plant, and then he spent a lot of time in WWE developmental before getting released. And yet he's always been crap.

He didn't get nearly enough ring time before his debut, so when he debuted he was poo poo. They wanted him on TV so they had to hide the fact he was lovely with run ins and skits and everything so he never got ring time to develop. He only really spent a year in developmental and that isn't enough time to learn.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

David Flair was really bad. Even if he'd completed the full training program at the Power Plant odds are he would have been terrible like 90% of their graduates. Here he is honoring the passing of Owen Hart in one of the worst worked matches ever to grace television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbSypio5B60

oatgan fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 27, 2013

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oatgan posted:

David Flair was really bad. Even if he'd completed the full training program at the Power Plant odds are he would have been terrible like 90% of their graduates. Here he is honoring the passing of Owen Hart in one of the worst worked matches ever to grace television.

this is hilarious. guy looks completely lost and nothing he does looks natural.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Holy poo poo.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Cardboard Box posted:

this is hilarious. guy looks completely lost and nothing he does looks natural.

Look at his face after he gets the win; he knows he's lost and nothing he does looks natural.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

David Flair running the ropes is one of the funniest sights you will ever see

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He makes Khali look athletic. What the hell?
At least Khali has the genuine excuse of being a giant.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

How can a match with an Arn Anderson spinebuster suck so bad.

But really though, my favourite part of that was the dropkick. Credit to Schiavone for managing to find a bullshit excuse so quickly for why David just straight-up forgot to take a bump from a dropkick.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Why does his face never move? Why does he wear black dress pants to the ring? Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

I am forced to assume that the Spinebuster was an audible called by Arn to end this mess quickly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

oatgan posted:

What did I just watch? :psyduck:

Who had the worse Figure 4, David Flair or the Miz?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They're terrible in different ways. David can't seem to get his leg all the way over the guy's foot, Miz can never remember to pull the other guy's leg all the way over his knee.

I also seem to remember David being less awful than that during his later crazy phase, but I might be imagining it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

David was more watchable later on because he had some semblance of character during his crazy phase and Crowbar was there to do lots of the actual wrestling.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
They paired him with this hot goth looking chick and an actual talented wrestler and gave them the easiest gimmick in the world to get over. Anyone could get over in that situation.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

David's a perfectly serviceable weekend warrior indy worker now. The first 6 months of his career though he had that "first day of wrestling school" look on his face, for obvious reasons.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oldpainless posted:

David was more watchable later on because he had some semblance of character during his crazy phase and Crowbar was there to do lots of the actual wrestling.

Devon Storm/Crowbar got a few tryout matches from the WWF/E, didn't he? I was surprised that he never got a real job. He was pretty solid, I thought.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hahaha oh wow that David Flair match is incredible. The way he just falls like a tree when in the drop toe hold... running the ropes with his arms locked to his sides... great stuff.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Red posted:

Devon Storm/Crowbar got a few tryout matches from the WWF/E, didn't he? I was surprised that he never got a real job. He was pretty solid, I thought.

If I recall correctly, he was part of the initial Light Heavyweight Title tournament.

EDIT - Yep. Woah, Eric Shelly too.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

He also had that one match where Tazz constantly ripped on him the entire time. "Crowbar? Thats not Crowbar, thats Devon Storm, I know that guy. I hate him."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Q: What were the circumstances/details leading up to Triple H (as WWF champion) facing Tazz (as ECW champion) on ... SmackDown!?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Q: What were the circumstances/details leading up to Triple H (as WWF champion) facing Tazz (as ECW champion) on ... SmackDown!?

Paul Heyman was a giant idiot and thought it would be a good idea to have Tazz return to WWE to take the ECW title off Mike Awesome when Awesome went to WCW. WWE went along with it, then just happened to book that match because they are smart.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

They're terrible in different ways. David can't seem to get his leg all the way over the guy's foot, Miz can never remember to pull the other guy's leg all the way over his knee.
It depends on whether you value talent over experience. Miz is so seasoned, he keeps coming up with new ways to botch the most worn-out finisher in wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

Paul Heyman was a giant idiot and thought it would be a good idea to have Tazz return to WWE to take the ECW title off Mike Awesome when Awesome went to WCW. WWE went along with it, then just happened to book that match because they are smart.

I'm trying to make sense of this, sorry... Heyman wanted Tazz to go to WWE to take the title off Mike Awesome when Awesome went to WCW? How did Tazz going to WWE affect Awesome going to WCW?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I'm trying to make sense of this, sorry... Heyman wanted Tazz to go to WWE to take the title off Mike Awesome when Awesome went to WCW? How did Tazz going to WWE affect Awesome going to WCW?

Not quite - MRT, can you explain the thing in a more detailed narrative?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

he mispoke, he meant that Heyman thought it'd be a good idea for Taz, who was under WWE contract, to return to ECW to get the belt off of Mike Awesome, who was on his way out. I don't really get the logic either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

ECW breached Awesome's contract by not paying him, so he went to WCW. He was still ECW champion and Heyman got an injunction requiring Awesome to drop the belt in ECW. So Paul Heyman decided it would be a genius idea to ask WWE to let him use Tazz (who signed with WWE six months prior) to take the belt off Awesome and hold the belt for a week or so. Vince said sure, let Tazz win the ECW title, then jobbed him to Triple H before Tazz lost the belt to Dreamer a week later. Heyman had a cute idea but didn't think it through and Vince got an opportunity to have one of his guys go over the new WCW guy and then have him lose to his new golden boy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

ECW breached Awesome's contract by not paying him, so he went to WCW. He was still ECW champion and Heyman got an injunction requiring Awesome to drop the belt in ECW. So Paul Heyman decided it would be a genius idea to ask WWE to let him use Tazz (who signed with WWE six months prior) to take the belt off Awesome and hold the belt for a week or so. Vince said sure, let Tazz win the ECW title, then jobbed him to Triple H before Tazz lost the belt to Dreamer a week later. Heyman had a cute idea but didn't think it through and Vince got an opportunity to have one of his guys go over the new WCW guy and then have him lose to his new golden boy.

So Tazz had been ECW champion, but put over Awesome, who Paul thought would be a draw/star, right? He even had him exchange the ECW belt with Masato Tanaka.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's bad about Ole Anderson?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

That's awesome

And I want to be the judge that presides over all wrestling related cases.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

old

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

- Everybody hates Ole Anderson
- Ole Anderson hates everybody
- He was booker of some of the dumbest poo poo that's ever happened in pro wrestling: The Black Scorpion, a tag team of hunchbacks (who couldn't be pinned because their shoulders couldn't reach the mat! A HAHAHAHAHAHA), and on and on and on

(Edit: I may have mis-attributed that one to Ole - I thought for sure the Hunchbacks were Ole, but Wikipedia says they were Jim Herd's idea. Anyone?)

Red fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 27, 2013

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Red posted:

(Edit: I may have mis-attributed that one to Ole - I thought for sure the Hunchbacks were Ole, but Wikipedia says they were Jim Herd's idea. Anyone?)

The way I've always heard it Herd came up with the Hunchbacks and took it to Ole, who replied "why don't I just tap them out in ten seconds with a spinning toehold?" and he and Herd compromised by making the Ding-Dongs instead.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I heard a new part of the Hunchbacks gimmick (from Luger's Timeline 1993), where the idea was to have an outdoor match where the opponent would dig a hole to fit the hunch, and they could then be pinned.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I really wish that happened. That is Chikara levels of brilliant.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

oatgan posted:

When he walked to the ring, I literally said to myself, "oh...that poor thing. :smith:" He's so obviously in over his head that it's a wonder that they even let him walk out there.

Question: Akeem the African Dream -- what the gently caress was up with that gimmick? What was the thought process behind it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cromulent posted:

I heard a new part of the Hunchbacks gimmick (from Luger's Timeline 1993), where the idea was to have an outdoor match where the opponent would dig a hole to fit the hunch, and they could then be pinned.

Maybe I should just assume everything awful about WCW pre-1992 or so is all Herd and Ole. Arachnaman, the Dongs, all of it.

I kinda liked Black Blood, though. :)