Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Are there any biker bars around? I got a really cool idea that involves motorcycles and a jerry can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Ending talk The choice seems a little silly. No one is ever going to pick A or B. It would have been cool if it only presented you with A and B and you were left to figure out the third way yourself.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Is there a way that I can get in the goon crew?
I sent an request!

XBOX by the way. (GT: Slayer15977)

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 27, 2013

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alright, I give up. What's the best way to get a submarine into the Alamo sea? When I pick up the nuclear waste one from the dock, the cargo bobs type is so sorry and the helicopters are so hosed that it swings around uncontrollably, and either drags my helicopter into the sea/dock/ground (I made it out over land on *one attempt* out of like six) or whips the sub up into the side of the chopper and everything explodes. The Alamo Sea looks deep as gently caress, and I am not for scuba (although I wouldn't even know how to get the bloody scuba gear there in the first place either, Frank just throws it on the ground if you start walking. He dropped it on a sand bar in the middle of a bay once).

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Dewgy posted:

Why exactly is Trevor's speech after the torture scene catching people's attention like that? Trevor doesn't say torture is bad, just that it's ineffective. He's annoyed that he just tortured someone pointlessly, not that he tortured someone. He's pissed that he wasn't doing it for his own reasons, and that torturing someone for any other reason than you want to torture them yourself is missing the point. Also notice how he treats the guy afterwards. There is absolutely no chance there's actually anyone waiting at the airport. None.

I keep hearing people say it's a self-insert speech to give the author's point of view, but I keep thinking those people didn't listen to the same speech I did.

Thats not what I meant. It's the gameplay presented in hindsight to the speech I have an issue with. Trevor doesn't like to torture because people tell him to? Me neither. It's that they put that speech in after they make you torture someone that's loving infuriating to me. The torture itself is a moot point. It's the mini game that's pointless as gently caress. It's like they went "doo be doo torture is okay but Trevor don't like doing it when his hand is forced but we're going to make it a mini game so your hand is forced too hurr." What are we supposed to commiserate with a fictional character on his views of torture?

Green Dinosaur
Sep 12, 2009
Is there any way of actually having an impact on the LCS market? I'm reading that it does, that it doesn't. I tried blowing up a few burger joints and didn't notice any impact but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

tooooooo bad posted:

Ending talk The choice seems a little silly. No one is ever going to pick A or B. It would have been cool if it only presented you with A and B and you were left to figure out the third way yourself.

Why would anyone choose A or B? I kinda wished they just rolled all of it into option C, made it that much better, then let you choose if they live or die in some horrible situation. "Press (X) to save Trevor from the burning car."

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Bonus: Try to make it into the ocean before you burn to death with them.

This actually works in game if you are on fire: stop. Your character will drop and roll.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Every time I see this thread title I have to try and find my Scooter Brother IRL. Am I a weirdo?

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Handen posted:

I stole a lear jet from the main airport and decided to use it to fly around the map to get rid of some of the fog of war. I ended up heading directly west of the army base over the ocean and encountered a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress a couple miles off shore. My engines mysteriously cut out as I was getting close to it so I had to ditch in the sea, whereupon I was eaten by a shark.

I've been looking around online and haven't seen any mention of the B-17 yet, anyone else able to confirm it? This probably doesn't make a difference but it was a night during a thunderstorm.

Supposedly, people have had their airplanes/helicopters suddenly cut off when encountering UFO'S. :tinfoil:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Slayer1597 posted:

Is there a way that I can get in the goon crew?
I sent an request!

XBOX by the way. (GT: Slayer15977)

If you haven't already done so add a request to the Goon Crew thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569678

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Inspector Hound posted:

Alright, I give up. What's the best way to get a submarine into the Alamo sea? When I pick up the nuclear waste one from the dock, the cargo bobs type is so sorry and the helicopters are so hosed that it swings around uncontrollably, and either drags my helicopter into the sea/dock/ground (I made it out over land on *one attempt* out of like six) or whips the sub up into the side of the chopper and everything explodes. The Alamo Sea looks deep as gently caress, and I am not for scuba (although I wouldn't even know how to get the bloody scuba gear there in the first place either, Frank just throws it on the ground if you start walking. He dropped it on a sand bar in the middle of a bay once).

Exit the sub so you put on scuba gear. Hijack a boat, take it into the alamo sea, explore to your heart's content.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Cojawfee posted:

Cool, I'm going to load a previous save and check out the other endings but stick with the one I chose.
You know you can replay any mission from the menu, right?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Saw a very cool piece of unplanned gameplay that fit so perfectly. I was flying to a mission as Trevor in a helicopter and I was going to calmly land at the meeting spot. Then Trevor decides gently caress that, jumps out of the helicopter about 20 feet above the ground with a parachute attached to his back and pancakes on the ground. The camera follows me down and the characters waiting to meet me just take this all in and could give two shits as if to say "Classic Trevs."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheRationalRedditor posted:

You know you can replay any mission from the menu, right?

Yeah but I have a save immediately before the corona so whatevs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Who Dat posted:

Thats not what I meant. It's the gameplay presented in hindsight to the speech I have an issue with. Trevor doesn't like to torture because people tell him to? Me neither. It's that they put that speech in after they make you torture someone that's loving infuriating to me. The torture itself is a moot point. It's the mini game that's pointless as gently caress. It's like they went "doo be doo torture is okay but Trevor don't like doing it when his hand is forced but we're going to make it a mini game so your hand is forced too hurr." What are we supposed to commiserate with a fictional character on his views of torture?

It's not a boo-hoo moment, it's dry, dark, British humor. That's really my only explanation, which also explains why it made me laugh really hard. Maybe I'm just a bad person? :shrug:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

So I've been trying unsuccessfully to get this game installed on my 360 for about 4 hours now. I've tried starting with the install disk and with the play disk, which then prompts me to put in the install disk. When all of the content is done installing my xbox goes to a black screen and I eventually have to reboot. If I try to start the game it just goes to a black screen. I've gone through this process like 4 or 5 times so far. Any idea what is going on? I've got 28gb free space so I know that's not the issue. Maybe it's the fact that I'm installing on usb?

Everyone I see having problems is trying to install the Play disk. I'm just trying to get the install disk loaded. Any help?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

How does replaying the missions work as far as getting the different objectives for a gold medal? Do you need to get them all at once for it to count or does it work like it did in TBoGT, where you could work on one at a time?

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Why would anyone choose A or B? I kinda wished they just rolled all of it into option C, made it that much better, then let you choose if they live or die in some horrible situation. "Press (X) to save Trevor from the burning car."

(ending) I chose to kill Trevor initially because he's an awful person and I thought C was Franklin death, but reverted a save because Trevor still had side missions.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

So I've been trying unsuccessfully to get this game installed on my 360 for about 4 hours now. I've tried starting with the install disk and with the play disk, which then prompts me to put in the install disk. When all of the content is done installing my xbox goes to a black screen and I eventually have to reboot. If I try to start the game it just goes to a black screen. I've gone through this process like 4 or 5 times so far. Any idea what is going on? I've got 28gb free space so I know that's not the issue. Maybe it's the fact that I'm installing on usb?

Everyone I see having problems is trying to install the Play disk. I'm just trying to get the install disk loaded. Any help?

Heck, have you tried just sticking the play disc in when you get the black screen?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Has anyone summarized the Chiliad mystery yet?

ah found this page:

http://gta-myths.wikia.com/wiki/Mount_Chiliad_Mystery

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Torture talk: Trevor enjoyed it and then pointed out that's the only real reason to do it.

But I'm not so sure whether the player was supposed to enjoy it, or find it very uncomfortable and unpleasant (which I did) given how obvious the game makes it that the guy is innocent and would talk anyway. On the one hand I feel it was intentionally disturbing and getting across what horrible psychopaths both Trevor and Haines are.

But on the other hand, the game still seems to expect you to sympathise with Trevor despite that, and despite his actions there, and with Johnny and Floyd.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Regarding a crew, is it possible to unlock Tatiana Martinez, the driver that only takes 5% before the 1st heist? I found her way too late in the last game.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Inspector Hound posted:

Heck, have you tried just sticking the play disc in when you get the black screen?

Yeah I've been trying that. No dice. I can't figure out what is wrong with my install. Never had this problem before... but I've also never installed an 8gb game before.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SheepNameKiller posted:

Has anyone summarized the Chiliad mystery yet?

ah found this page:

http://gta-myths.wikia.com/wiki/Mount_Chiliad_Mystery

I made a separate thread about it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572054

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Dewgy posted:

I keep hearing people say it's a self-insert speech to give the author's point of view, but I keep thinking those people didn't listen to the same speech I did.

There's lots of really good dialog but also lots of really terrible dialog. The painfully awkward conversations like the hipster one or Trevor's speech about torture seem like they were written at gunpoint. I didn't read too much into it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Does the install disc actually go through the install process when you run it? There should be a counter showing the total install size of 7400-ish MB and how far along the installation is. If it does, it should then ask you to eject and put in the play disc, which should then take you into the game.

Just as a sanity check, you're supposed to run the install disc like a normal non-installed game disc. Installing it using the Xbox interface (pressing Y on the disc's icon in the dashboard) doesn't work.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Dewgy posted:

It's not a boo-hoo moment, it's dry, dark, British humor. That's really my only explanation, which also explains why it made me laugh really hard. Maybe I'm just a bad person? :shrug:

Well no, you're not. But they could have made that viewpoint more effective and poignant by making the scene a cutscene and not an interactive minigame. That's my point I guess. I get Trevor's humor, just not Rockstars excuse for using that moment to...honestly I have no idea what they were trying to achieve or explain because I would have understood the humor if Trevor had just gone. "Whee torture I love torture don't you? I love when other people make me do torture." That would have been too tongue in cheek I guess. And then it would have made sense. So :toot: I guess.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Torture talk: Trevor enjoyed it and then pointed out that's the only real reason to do it.

But I'm not so sure whether the player was supposed to enjoy it, or find it very uncomfortable and unpleasant (which I did) given how obvious the game makes it that the guy is innocent and would talk anyway. On the one hand I feel it was intentionally disturbing and getting across what horrible psychopaths both Trevor and Haines are.

But on the other hand, the game still seems to expect you to sympathise with Trevor despite that, and despite his actions there, and with Johnny and Floyd.

Everything Trevor does is so disturbing that I'm surprised this is the only thing that's called out, he bullies the poo poo out of Wade for no reason and is incredibly unsympathetic in every single way except in interactions with Michael's family. The fact that they included anything that makes him seem sympathetic at all seems really out of character for the guy, he's a piece of poo poo.

I felt what can best be described as momentary bouts of sadness for the torture victim in game because he was obviously innocent but you have to remember that the NPC is fake and you didn't actually do anything bad to anyone. The scene doesn't seem to be commentary on anything, because the speech is shoehorned in. If you ask me it was included to generate controversy and nothing else, with the speech about torture not working written in at the last minute as a way of covering their rear end if it blew up in the media.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 27, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Endgame: I just did all three. A and B are total nonstarters. There's no incentive to kill Michael. You don't get anything for it and it just removes a character from the game. You kind of get an incentive to kill Trevor because you then get 30 million on Frank and Mike. But you also lose Trevor which removes the best character in the game for rampaging. C is the only option as far as I'm concerned.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I went to rob a 247 and the cashier pulled a shotgun on me and we both killed each other at the same time hahahahahaha.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
I was hoping to at least finish the story by the time Online is out but man. It's soooo easy to get distracted.

Anyway, I don't suppose anyone tried the first FIB heist without sending Michael to flight school?

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

lady blue shanghai posted:

Anyway, I don't suppose anyone tried the first FIB heist without sending Michael to flight school?

You can skip flight school if you want.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I was hoping to at least finish the story by the time Online is out but man. It's soooo easy to get distracted.

I've finished the game and the only character I did flight school with was Franklin

Cojawfee posted:

Endgame: I just did all three. A and B are total nonstarters. There's no incentive to kill Michael. You don't get anything for it and it just removes a character from the game. You kind of get an incentive to kill Trevor because you then get 30 million on Frank and Mike. But you also lose Trevor which removes the best character in the game for rampaging. C is the only option as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I don't know why anyone would pick anything other than C. I don't really see how its a deathwish either when Franklin's buddies are two guys who have like a couple decades worth of combat experience fighting off entire armies (some of them as recently as within the last 2 weeks) and have actual superpowers to slow down time and absorb bullets like a sponge. Oh yeah, each one of them is also armed to the teeth with multiple types of launchers, machine guns and rifles.
I'm kind of dissappointed the real army didn't show up at some point for whatever made up excuse they can think of

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 27, 2013

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

You get a bit of funny dialog but it's pretty much the same.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Good to hear, thanks. I have PTSD from San Andreas flight school.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

I've never put anyone to flight school, so yes

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

El Hefe posted:

I went to rob a 247 and the cashier pulled a shotgun on me and we both killed each other at the same time hahahahahaha.

Euphoria gives us so many hilarious deaths, it's a shame it fades to black so quickly. It would be great if you didn't respawn until the player presses a button.

It's a lot easier than San Andreas flight school, it's easy as hell to get bronze.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I wish I had read some stock market tips early in the game. I'm debating either rushing through the game again to get those big assassination mission money bumps, or just paying closer attention to BAWSAQ to make money the legit way with my end-game cash.

I almost want to start a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of the hourly stock prices on BAWSAQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Trevor tells you to go do it but it's not necessary, it greatly increases your flight skill though and makes flying helicopters much easier, but if you can increase your flight skill just by flying around then do that.

• Locked thread