Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I would think so, looking back on this panel. I didn't notice the first read, but he's flicking away the light rather than turning it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Simsmagic posted:

I would think so, looking back on this panel. I didn't notice the first read, but he's flicking away the light rather than turning it off.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that little sprite in the bird cage is his spirit, too.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Countblanc posted:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that little sprite in the bird cage is his spirit, too.

I'll take that bet! And when I win, I want my donuts glazed.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Tenebrais posted:

Sounds likely, though those could also just be generic spectral energy like Isabel is using in the second link.

When Spender makes his big spectral arm thing it's transparent like other spectral constructs. You can't see through his little Starchman stars and dispelling them caused a big flash effect so it's not impossible to think that they're a special function of his tool.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zack was sick and didn't make a normal page, but a new Supernormal is a good substitute.

Man, of course Max's dad sells anime shades. Obvious when you think about it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Days to recover? I wonder what the damage is.

Wait. Now I'm confused.

"Since your spirit is out of your tool, didn't you just lose your powers?" "Yeah, for now, no big, Eightfold only takes a few days to recover" then "Gonna need your powers for whatever Spender wants us to do after school".

Doesn't the first exchange mean it'd take her a few days for Eightfold to give her her powers again? Or something?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Wait. Now I'm confused.

"Since your spirit is out of your tool, didn't you just lose your powers?" "Yeah, for now, no big, Eightfold only takes a few days to recover" then "Gonna need your powers for whatever Spender wants us to do after school".

Doesn't the first exchange mean it'd take her a few days for Eightfold to give her her powers again? Or something?

No, when you have a tool you get the powers regardless. The spirit's recovery only applies to the spirit.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

rotinaj posted:

Wait. Now I'm confused.

Dunno. It may just mean that it's a few days for Eightfold to be strong enough to manifest physically again. As being a 'weak' spirit she doesn't need much energy to recover from the suicide. Guess we'll find out though.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

rotinaj posted:

Wait. Now I'm confused.

Pretty sure she just means Eightfold takes a few days to recover fully after tooling up. So, since Eightfold offed herself, she'll need several days inside the book before she could physically manifest again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Pretty sure she just means Eightfold takes a few days to recover fully after tooling up. So, since Eightfold offed herself, she'll need several days inside the book before she could physically manifest again.
I was confused, but this makes sense. We know that the spirits possessing tools slowly restore themselves by siphoning energy off the spectrals who use them. It's a symbiotic relationship. Eightfold is so "weak" that she can fully heal, as in not just enough to be usable as a tool but enough to actually wander off free, from just a few days worth of energy.

This implies that Eightfold is hanging around powering Isabel's tool because she wants to, because otherwise she would have scarpered by now.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 27, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Splicer posted:

This implies that Eightfold is hanging around powering Isabel's tool because she wants to, because otherwise she would have scarpered by now.
It makes sense. If she's as weak as that implies, she'd just end up dying soon either way. So why not stick with someone who feeds her books and lets her regenerate constantly?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

I think I saw a comment by Zach that said he'd expand more on the different types of relationships spectrals have with their spirits. But I'd hazard a guess that Eightfold's situation is that she's a weak spirit on her own, and thus it's more beneficial for her to be in tool form. Isabel provides food/protection/energy, and in exchange she get's to use Eightfold's paper manipulation power, of which Isabel seems capable of using to greater effect than Eightfold.

It's also possible that Eightfold isn't capable of using her power on as grand a scale as Isabel does because she lacks the energy, which Izabel provides. I can also imagine that stronger spirits might be able to provide stronger effects with thier powers, though with increased risk of being less cooperative or even downright hostile. Such as was implied with Mr. Spender warning Max about his spirit eating him. I don't think that's such a risk with Isabel's situation.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 27, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I don't think that's such a risk with Isabel's situation.
If you don't take her seriously, she'll eat your favorite book

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
We've already seen how hostile spirits/ghosts prey on smaller or lesser ones. Additionally from the whole Doorman saga we know there are some really scary freaking spirits out there. Eightfold gets a nice home, gets to kick butts, and eat as many books as she wants. Would YOU leave that behind to chance the world at large?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FriggenJ posted:

We've already seen how hostile spirits/ghosts prey on smaller or lesser ones. Additionally from the whole Doorman saga we know there are some really scary freaking spirits out there. Eightfold gets a nice home, gets to kick butts, and eat as many books as she wants. Would YOU leave that behind to chance the world at large?

On the other hand, she has to ritualistically kill herself on command every now and then, and that probably sucks a bit.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Update!

I think my favorite part of this page is Max's digit issues. Or maybe Ed's shirt, which I did not notice previously.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Isabel said "the six of us" but Max, Ed, Isabel, Isaac, and Spender only make five. So...who's the sixth?

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Angry Walrus posted:

Isabel said "the six of us" but Max, Ed, Isabel, Isaac, and Spender only make five. So...who's the sixth?

She means there are five people training with her grandpop using her toothbrush, and one more would just be going too drat far :backtowork:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Has a massive hammer, armour, an anvil-like head and what looks to be a furnace in his chest. I'm guessing some kind of forge spirit?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hey, remember that spooky guy we saw at the beginning of the chapter? I SURE DIDN'T.

Max's digit issues made me guffaw.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 10, 2017

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Zack you liar you said the ghost train was symbolic! :argh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The ghost train of the title is a metaphor. This is an entirely different ghost train.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think hammer anvilhead guy might actually be the agent they are picking up.

I'm going to call him the full metal spectral for now.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh hey it's the guy from Demon's Souls. :haw:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Angry Walrus posted:

Eightfold

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hey, remember that spooky guy we saw at the beginning of the chapter? I SURE DIDN'T.

Max's digit issues made me guffaw.

I remember. It's one of the best drawn pages in my opinion :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Angry Walrus posted:

Grandpa Anime, more than likely. Seems to be a really well known guy for the Order.

(Less jokingly: She's referring to Grandpa's trainees that are sharing her toothbrush)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
New page!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, it's actually pretty readable, my brain just clicked into it. Panel 4: "You're late", panel 8: "You failed", panel 10: "No" "Look"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I love how, if you know the trick, it's pretty simple to read the spirit-speech without a cipher.

Panel 4:
You're late.

Panel 8:
You failed.

Panel 10:
No Look

Edit: Beaten. :saddowns:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Ok, Forge Knight is loving awesome looking. Petition to get this armor into Dark Souls 2 ASAP.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
A cool person made some awesome fanart of a (sadly not real) Paranatural RPG:

http://misteravarice.tumblr.com/post/63036630352/paranatural-scrapdragon-edition-fake-mock-up

http://misteravarice.tumblr.com/post/63040548894/poo poo-now-people-are-going-to-expect-me-to-be

A guide to making your own papercraft Eightfold: http://hyperbellon.webcomic.ws/files/eightfold.html

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh my god, Paranatural Tactics Advance.

That is the most beautiful thing. :swoon:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nick_326 posted:

http://misteravarice.tumblr.com/post/63036630352/paranatural-scrapdragon-edition-fake-mock-up

Oh my god, that's amazing. The retro 16-bit style fits perfectly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nick_326 posted:

Other than the dark-purple-on-black color scheme on the last one, these own.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-43/

Regarding panel six:

Zack: "He’s speaking English with an accent"

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
I'm curious about the pixellation inside the spirits' mouths...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I had more trouble with the spirit script this time than usual. I think the problem is that A and R are nearly identical under it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bigbigtruck posted:

I'm curious about the pixellation inside the spirits' mouths...

It probably has to do with the video game bits on the title page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Fight scene on Friday most likely, can't wait!