Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Sistergodiva posted:

Holy crap, the -50 heretic malus is really annoying, like half my mayors hate me now, and they won't convert because they hate me :D

Being reformed isn't really easy.

Money greases the wheels of all but the most fanatical Catholics. Those you can grease with their own blood. With a knife. By which I mean you should plot to murder them and install your own heretic leaders.

e; this was a great post to have at the top of the page. This game really makes you into a horrible, cynical person.

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Money greases the wheels of all but the most fanatical Catholics. Those you can grease with their own blood. With a knife. By which I mean you should plot to murder them and install your own heretic leaders.

e; this was a great post to have at the top of the page. This game really makes you into a horrible, cynical person.

Yay, thank god I raised crow authority right before my last king died.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well this should be an interesting king...

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
How the hell did that happen?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Alectai posted:

How the hell did that happen?

Bad luck, I think. The current king who tutored him is 21/2/5/8/14, so not much better, but above 0 at least.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

nothing to seehere posted:

Bad luck, I think. The current king who tutored him is 21/2/5/8/14, so not much better, but above 0 at least.

At least he has high diplomacy! Maybe your vassals will still like you.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rincewind posted:

At least he has high diplomacy! Maybe your vassals will still like you.
Yeah, he should be fine, honestly. Diplomacy is the most important stat for a king.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Is there a cutoff date on blots like there is for runestones? I know you can only hold one every nine years, but the last one was 11 years ago.

For what it's worth, I'm emperor of Scandinavia and Norse is reformed. Also, it's only 918 so I don't know what the gently caress.

Edit: Nevermind, it's back after a 13 year absence. Weird...

beefart fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 27, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, he should be fine, honestly. Diplomacy is the most important stat for a king.

It is the most important stat for absolutely everyone. Stewardship is also great for the extra holdings, but diplo makes everything better.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

beefart posted:

Is there a cutoff date on blots like there is for runestones? I know you can only hold one every nine years, but the last one was 11 years ago.

For what it's worth, I'm emperor of Scandinavia and Norse is reformed. Also, it's only 918 so I don't know what the gently caress.

Blots are every 9 years, I think runestones are one per character/life.

Misread that! Disregard! :downs:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

beefart posted:

Edit: Nevermind, it's back after a 13 year absence. Weird...

Were you in a regency? I can't remember but I think that blocks blots?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SeaTard posted:

It is the most important stat for absolutely everyone. Stewardship is also great for the extra holdings, but diplo makes everything better.
Eh, when I'm a duke or a count, I often prefer high stewardship, or even martial. Or if you're a mid-sized duke in a large kingdom or empire, intrigue can be pretty neat. But when you're on the top of a big heap, diplomacy is the only way to go.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So, uh, yeah, this is the current state of the world in my game:

I had nothing to do with this, being a backwater Bavarian duke. Lois Karling currently holds 5 kingdom titles, and is running gavelkind succession, so his death is going to cause some major fun.

EDIT: 6 titles. He is now my liege. At this point I'm rooting for him to form the HRE.

EDIT AGAIN: And now he's Emperor of Francia. This is going to be interesting.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 28, 2013

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, it's looking like I can't load my saves anymore as of year 951/952ish. Is this normal? Because I click the save and the whole game freezes.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Alectai posted:

Okay, it's looking like I can't load my saves anymore as of year 951/952ish. Is this normal? Because I click the save and the whole game freezes.

This might sound stupid but: how long have you waited after clicking it?

If your playing on an older/lower powered PC it might take a while. When I select a save it freezes everything up for 10 seconds, but then I can play fine. I think I saw someone mention that CK2 stores all save info as some huge mega log of all the characters so it can grow to huge sizes over time.

Hopefully you didn't doing anything regarding mods/patching them because that usually blows up saves.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Nah, I got everything set up before I started playing.

That being said, I just rolled back a year and it loaded fine, it must have been some super war going on at the mainland or something, because it's fine now.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Apparently you can't change crown laws if you're craven. Any easy way to lose that trait? I'm guessing hunting and stuff. What kind of events does a grand tourney get you? Will I have to spend more money than the 200 it costs, like how you can buy better food for a feast?

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

Apparently you can't change crown laws if you're craven. Any easy way to lose that trait? I'm guessing hunting and stuff. What kind of events does a grand tourney get you? Will I have to spend more money than the 200 it costs, like how you can buy better food for a feast?

Hunting is the best way to get rid of the craven trait. There is an event that has a chance to give you the brave trait.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

jb7 posted:

Hunting is the best way to get rid of the craven trait. There is an event that has a chance to give you the brave trait.

Ah, thanks, read it wrong though the condition was "is crowned" not "is coward" :downs:

Had an awesome revoke-a-ton, and now my realm is stable. I'm making most of my vassals city or temple holders, that's kinda good right?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Had an awesome revoke-a-ton, and now my realm is stable. I'm making most of my vassals city or temple holders, that's kinda good right?

City vassals will pile into your factions like clowns into a clown car, but they give you shitloads of money so it's a tradeoff.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Darth Various posted:

City vassals will pile into your factions like clowns into a clown car, but they give you shitloads of money so it's a tradeoff.

Right now it's actually my arch-bishops that are piling into the factions.

I notice my city-guys haven't built any trade posts, is that because the county needs trade posts tech? Any way to help them get that, or will I just have to wait? Will researching it in my main town help it spread to them?

So far I'm doing really good.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah that's it, you just gotta wait. You could burn your tech points on trade tech which would help spread it faster but it wouldn't be noticeably faster and almost certainly isn't worth it.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

The King of Scotland wound up being an rear end in a top hat that got himself excommunicated. I proceeded to exploit this by launching an invasion to see what I could snip up.

I may have gone too far, as I conquered the entire country.

The hard part now is going to be getting all three crowns in my son's hand as was the earlier plan, so he can form the Empire I've been working towards! That, and enduring the constant rebellions from my newly subjugated kingdom.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Allyn posted:

Yeah that's it, you just gotta wait. You could burn your tech points on trade tech which would help spread it faster but it wouldn't be noticeably faster and almost certainly isn't worth it.

Ah, thanks, figured it wouldn't really speed it up that much.

Ouch.

So my vassals are still fighting amongst themselves even though I have medium crown authority, any way to stop that? Or just make sure no-one gets too big?

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 28, 2013

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I was so concentrated on creating the Empire of Brittania that I didn't notice the Golden Horde destroying almost all of the Muslim world. I have my chansellor poking around and sowing dissent, but is there a good way to get the Golden Horde to start collapsing on itself? It probably doesn't help that they've reformed the tengri faith.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Just managed to form Britannia when my final gambit with my previous king paid off. I noticed he only had one son, switched inheritance laws to Gavelkind once he turned 70, then when he dropped dead, his son held three crowns and 91% of the de jure territory of Britannia--and enough money and Piety to instantly form it.

With Francia in the middle of self-destructing (Or at least, it's a hell of a lot less scary then it was a generation or so back), the only real scary thing that could roll me over is the Byzantine Empire, and I'm hoping the Mongols come over the east to give them something to worry about before they get within my sphere of influence.

Things are looking up! Now the hard part is going to be Holding all of this territory. My current Emperor is decently badass, but his heir is... Okay at best (He's got Grey Eminence, which is good, but he doesn't have Genius like most of my heirs have, because the Empire was Primogeniture, so I can't just stab lovely Tanists like I have so far).

I guess I could stab the male heirs and put one of the pretty decent daughters on the throne, but that might be a pain in the rear end.

And I did this all before the year 1,000!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Alectai posted:

The 867 start date makes everything easy because the "peace dividend" is insane. Holding stable duchies/kingdomns together instead of taxing everyone to death and constantly warring means that everyone is unrealistically rich and stable.

Starting anywhere in Britain, by 1000 AD, you should have counties that are as rich as Rome in the regular 1066 start date.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I thought I remembered seeing a recent patch note that 'fancying' family members had been removed. Did I dream that?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Alectai posted:

Just managed to form Britannia when my final gambit with my previous king paid off. I noticed he only had one son, switched inheritance laws to Gavelkind once he turned 70, then when he dropped dead, his son held three crowns and 91% of the de jure territory of Britannia--and enough money and Piety to instantly form it.

With Francia in the middle of self-destructing (Or at least, it's a hell of a lot less scary then it was a generation or so back), the only real scary thing that could roll me over is the Byzantine Empire, and I'm hoping the Mongols come over the east to give them something to worry about before they get within my sphere of influence.

Things are looking up! Now the hard part is going to be Holding all of this territory. My current Emperor is decently badass, but his heir is... Okay at best (He's got Grey Eminence, which is good, but he doesn't have Genius like most of my heirs have, because the Empire was Primogeniture, so I can't just stab lovely Tanists like I have so far).

I guess I could stab the male heirs and put one of the pretty decent daughters on the throne, but that might be a pain in the rear end.

In 900 something the Pope let me invade Lotharingia. The King of Lotharingia was also the king of Italy and East Francia, because Karlings.

I had meant to only occupy his Italian territory because that's where I was, but when I peaced out it gave me the Italian territory and all of Lotharingia.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Is there a place where I can check all the console commands? I want to start off a game in CK2, reform all the pagan religions and then port it over the EU4. Also if possible set off the Sunset Invasion event.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The 867 start date makes everything easy because the "peace dividend" is insane. Holding stable duchies/kingdomns together instead of taxing everyone to death and constantly warring means that everyone is unrealistically rich and stable.

Starting anywhere in Britain, by 1000 AD, you should have counties that are as rich as Rome in the regular 1066 start date.

Huh, wasn't aware of any of that, this is just my first game after reading plenty of LPs and guides, so I didn't know about a "Peace Dividend" thing.

Most of my money comes when an Adventurer or something tries to take a pass on my territory. I hire some mercs and curbstomp them, and then banish the one responsible for a cool 500 or so.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Alectai posted:

Huh, wasn't aware of any of that, this is just my first game after reading plenty of LPs and guides, so I didn't know about a "Peace Dividend" thing.
He's using that in a metaphorical sense, that peace and prosperity allows your vassals to develop their counties. There isn't a literal "peace dividend" mechanic.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shogunate posted:

Is there a place where I can check all the console commands? I want to start off a game in CK2, reform all the pagan religions and then port it over the EU4. Also if possible set off the Sunset Invasion event.

http://ckiiwiki.com/Console_commands

Note that not all of these work - I haven't managed to do anything with enable_ambition, for example - but they should be enough for your purposes.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

He's using that in a metaphorical sense, that peace and prosperity allows your vassals to develop their counties. There isn't a literal "peace dividend" mechanic.

Oh! That's what you meant!

Yeah, I did notice my economy was doing really well compared to most continental powers, my Capital is peer to Constantinople in technological development, and the castle is as upgraded as I can get it with my current tech (Mostly Tier 3, with a small handful of 2s left).

I've also been making a point of keeping a pretty beastly retinue. I don't think it's ever taken serious losses since I got it to it's present state. Having 300 Heavy Cavalry as it's backbone, plus a good pile of Gallowglass Infantry to back them up is pretty potent, and I'm keeping enough forces for the skirmish phase to soften most guys up before the melee guys close in.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Alectai posted:

I've also been making a point of keeping a pretty beastly retinue. I don't think it's ever taken serious losses since I got it to it's present state. Having 300 Heavy Cavalry as it's backbone, plus a good pile of Gallowglass Infantry to back them up is pretty potent, and I'm keeping enough forces for the skirmish phase to soften most guys up before the melee guys close in.

Retinues are crazy good, yeah. Even ignoring the sheer numbers you can raise, those stat bonuses you get from each cultural retinue building add up pretty quickly to make them beasts.

I'm sure there are people with far more impressive screenshots out there, but I was surprised anyway.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!
I'm playing a game right now where the Catholic church has pretty much been wiped out. In its place Waldensian has risen up all over the place especially central Europe. I wanted to make it so its no longer a Catholic heresy and to have its own religious head is there anyway to do that? I think it would be really interesting but I'm just not sure how the religious groups really work. I don't mind modding it in, but being pointed in the right direction for which files I would need to change is what I've been wondering.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So playing as a cruel, wroth king/fylkir of England (and Sweden and Frisia, and I also own all of France, Navarra, Most of Denmark, and the southern shores of spain for some reason....) I have a massive independence revolt that I start to put down when the goddamn kaiser holy wars for one of my duchies and wins before I can even get my troops to that end of the map.

I spend the next 5 years with my enormous, 40k strong army set to raiding, and sic it on every Catholic coastal province in the game (and a few Orthodox ones, because eh. They were there and also republic.) During this time, the Kaiser croaks, and the HRE splits into pieces, allowing my vassals to claim back my old territory for me while I am still raiding.

Also pictured, a slight succession crisis for the new Kaiser.

I only quit when I did because the Ummayads declared war on me. I pretty much exhausted that part of my army down to just my standing retinue, but at its size, I could have kept going for a long time.

I'm thinking that if I manage to defeat the ummayads with a significant troop advantage, I'm going to immediately great holy war for Andalusia, taking as much of their territory as possible out of sheer spite.

Or, I guess a less insanely spiteful ruler could take over. Then I might just, you know. Do something else.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 29, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Retinues are crazy good, yeah. Even ignoring the sheer numbers you can raise, those stat bonuses you get from each cultural retinue building add up pretty quickly to make them beasts.

I'm sure there are people with far more impressive screenshots out there, but I was surprised anyway.

Pure Heavy Infantry retinues are amazing. For skirmish you'll get the shieldwall tactic and lose basically no one and then as soon as you hit melee the other army will just melt. I once had a stack of around 5000 Heavy Infantry lead by 3 guys who all had 20ish martial(and 2 of them had Heavy Infantry specialty) hit a stack of 20,000 plus and crush it as soon as it hit melee.

I've been playing a Republic of Amalfi game and accidentally having my son culture flip to Irish near the start of the game was the best mistake I've ever made. I've carefully preserved a separate Irish bloodline so that whenever I need to build more retinues I designate one as my heir and get pure Heavy Infantry.

Although for whatever reason when I assault castles with them they do no morale damage and just slowly murder the entire garrison instead of routing them.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

Although for whatever reason when I assault castles with them they do no morale damage and just slowly murder the entire garrison instead of routing them.
My Russian Druzhina do the same thing. I guess it's related to the conventional wisdom that archers are the best siegecraft troops because they're all about skirmishing; heavy infantry must just huddle during that phase (both Druzhina and whatever the Irish version is called have the same huge morale defence bonus) and then start killing in melee.

Doesn't matter, next game I'll turn on Better Armies anyway (I should have had it in my current one as well, but I forgot a "_" in the shortcut so the mod didn't load and it took me way too long to remember that the buildings should have looked different :downs:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So I just started up CK2 using CK2+ for the first time in a while, and :tviv: that is a hell of a lot of bookmarks. What madman wrote all these? Not that I'm complaining, but it seems like a lot of effort to go to for a feature that most people are going to skip past.

• Locked thread