Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
So, it seems to be limited to a specific area of Shanghai and not the entire city. It's a good sign, but an even better sign would be not starting the blocking in the first place, so eh.
As for Chinese people, I feel like Weibo/Renren have been around long enough (and China has a large enough population) that they may continue to use them even if Facebook/Twitter are available. If you're a Chinese person living in China, there's a 99% chance that everyone you wanna communicate with is also Chinese. Look at Chinese university students in the States even -- they have every reason to use Facebook but most I know stuck to Renren/Weibo unless they were very very outgoing/internationalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Basically, the only reason they'd switch is if Facebook/Twitter had concrete advantages over the local service. This being China, I'll assume the local service is a plagarised copy with some censorship software thrown in and consider the point moot.

Still, access to information that ain't party credo is a nice step. Like the switching to capitalism, only slightly less destructive on the environment.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

SCMP posted:

Hong Kong homes are the least affordable they have been in the past 10 years, according to the latest figures showing that private household income failed to catch up with soaring home price growth - and the trend is set to continue.

Chinese University's annual Hong Kong Quality of Life Index puts last year's housing affordability index at 12.76 - the highest since the first study in 2002, when it stood at 4.7.
The first paragraph makes it sound like we're at a ten-year high in housing un-affordability. The second paragraph clarifies that housing un-affordability is almost four times worse than it has ever been.

SCMP posted:

The centre's index reading was calculated using official figures that show a 400 sq ft flat in an urban area costs an average of HK$3 million, with a typical family paying around HK$21,000 a month for nearly 13 years to buy such a flat.

The average individual income here is something like $11,000-$12,000 a month. And that's including super gazillionaires.

I don't understand how anyone can look at this and think it's not a recipe for imminent disaster. But people are still lining up to buy new homes.

SCMP posted:

Chong Tai-leung, an associate professor of economics at the university, said a housing affordability index should not rise beyond five - meaning that families should not have to spend more than five years of their total earnings to buy a flat.

"Let's say a family saves about one-third of their monthly income to buy a flat - it will take at least 30 years for them to reach that amount," he said.
WHY WON'T ANYONE LISTEN TO ME.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But how else can you ever get married?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Holy poo poo, I had understood that there was a severe problem, but I guess I didn't have a handle on the sheer scope. It makes looking for upscale places in Los Angeles seem incredibly cheap, and this is an expensive city to live in.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

sincx posted:

Wait, 400 sq ft? Like a 20 x 20 ft box? For $400,000?! What?

Welcome to Hong Kong :getin:

It's not uncommon to divide 400 square feet into two bedrooms, a living room and of course a kitchen and bathroom. In fact I've found it pretty hard to find a one bedroom apartment in Hong Kong.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I lived in a shithole apartment, I mean like every window and fixture needed replacing, every wall needed spackle and paint or to just be torn out and redone, and the wiring needed to be removed and redone, heat didn't work, no AC, about 1.5 times that size in Beijing, which sold for more than that.

For 400,000 dollars do you at least get someplace that that doesn't threaten to burn you to death in Hong Kong?

WTF is wrong with people?

edit: The ratio of annual rent to selling price was over 50 to 1.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 27, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

7 billion of em basically.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

For 400,000 dollars do you at least get someplace that that doesn't threaten to burn you to death in Hong Kong?

Yes. Building standards are very good in Hong Kong. There was an ancient tenement that collapsed in Hung Hom three years ago, but only 4 people died (tragedy, yes, but not too bad for a residential building collapse). It was a 50 year old building that the government had ordered repaired and refurbished, but the greedy rear end landlords (some of whom are in prison now) didn't do it. In response, the government said it would start inspecting 50+ year old buildings more often, I think monthly.

I hate the British imperialists and their goddamned tea taxes with every fiber (not fibre) of my red, white and blue being, but they did a lot of good in Hong Kong. Their stuffy white engineers designed roads that move traffic remarkably well in the super dense parts of the city (to the detriment of pedestrians), building codes that keep people way safer than over the border, and hideous cyberpunk nightmare housing blocks that provide homes for teeming hordes of people.

I never lived in pre-handover Hong Kong, and I wasn't even 10 years old at the time, but what I've read suggests that the administration during and post-MacLehose was pretty great and the jerks in charge now are ruining everything.

If they don't cut off one of Timothy Tong's hands I'm gonna riot.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

VideoTapir posted:

I lived in a shithole apartment, I mean like every window and fixture needed replacing, every wall needed spackle and paint or to just be torn out and redone, and the wiring needed to be removed and redone, heat didn't work, no AC, about 1.5 times that size in Beijing, which sold for more than that.

edit: The ratio of annual rent to selling price was over 50 to 1.

How is this at all rational when the per capita income in China is like 1/3 that of the US or Western Europe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vladimir Putin posted:

How is this at all rational

I think you've nailed the fundamental issue with Chinese real estate here.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Are there any good english articles about actual real-world chinese rationalizations of their current property bubble(s)? "It's different because..."

Searching the phrase "not a bubble" yields some results.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2011-01/11/content_11825458.htm

This article uses some mental gymnastics in that it describes a chain of events which is DEFINITELY A loving BUBBLE but simply refuses to call it that, because if you ignore everyone who isn't rich, incomes are rising fast enough to cover it, while simultaneously chastising critics for only looking at first tier cities (because income to price ratios in 2nd tier cities that are only 2 to 3 times normal rather than 5 to 10 times normal are perfectly okay I guess).

I want to see something along the lines of the "look how wrong these guys were!" articles that came out in late 2008 early 2009. Or is it too early?

Grand Fromage posted:

I think you've nailed the fundamental issue with Chinese real estate here.

Bubbles in general.

You don't even like tulips!

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 28, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VideoTapir posted:

Bubbles in general.

Yep. There's no secret to Chinese real estate, it's a bubble like any others. The only big difference is the government has been using this mass construction to prop up the economy as a whole, so it collapsing will possibly be even more damaging than, say, the US real estate bubble.

Tulip bubble is still the funniest bubble.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

1990s American comic book bubble, or perhaps Magic: The Gathering.

No, wait...Beanie Babies. Beanie Babies are the funniest.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

1990s American comic book bubble

That sounds hilarious, care to elaborate?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Don't people just buy homes with cash in China? I don't think I've ever met anyone with a mortgage. Sure people might lose a bunch of money on an individual basis with a collapse but the whole financial system isn't really in danger like it was in America.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arakan posted:

Don't people just buy homes with cash in China? I don't think I've ever met anyone with a mortgage. Sure people might lose a bunch of money on an individual basis with a collapse but the whole financial system isn't really in danger like it was in America.

While buying with cash seems more common in China, tons of people have mortgages. Usually people put 20-30% of the total value of the home as a down payment.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Torka posted:

That sounds hilarious, care to elaborate?

Older comic books (First Superman, first X-Men, etc) were valuable due to their rarity and were often sold at auctions for lots of money. Soon everyone is either buying up the old ones or trying to sell old ones and with the help of speculators for a brief year value of comics exploded. Seeing a chance to make money, the comic industries flooded the market with one issue with four diffent covers and special editions and by 1995 the comic market was wiped out with both DC and Marvel nearly going under and the two biggest distributors merging to prevent dying out altogether.

Here's a good article about it.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 28, 2013

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

MeramJert posted:

While buying with cash seems more common in China, tons of people have mortgages. Usually people put 20-30% of the total value of the home as a down payment.

Well from what I read it looks like 30-40% down payment on a first mortgage, and they upped it to 60% this year on second mortgages. So not great, but it seems they are trying to head in the right direction. I didn't really see any concrete figures on how many people take out mortgages, somewhere between 50-70% it looks like.

Then there's this (page 3 section 5)

http://www.pbc.gov.cn/image_public/...81%EF%BC%89.pdf

Which pretty much says that the only thing putting controls on lending in major cities did was shift lending to rural areas in greater quantities. I wonder why they don't just implement lending controls everywhere, instead of only implementing reactionary controls when a problem arises in certain cities? It seems like a really easy problem to fix since unlike in America, where people get beside themselves when there is government intervention in the market, the Chinese government can just do whatever.

And China is still only at like 15% of America's value of outstanding mortgages before the crash, so while there is a housing bubble there's no mortgage bubble yet...unless they keep being stupid I guess.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 28, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arakan posted:

Well from what I read it looks like 30-40% down payment on a first mortgage, and they upped it to 60% this year on second mortgages. So not great, but it seems they are trying to head in the right direction. I didn't really see any concrete figures on how many people take out mortgages, somewhere between 50-70% it looks like.

Then there's this (page 3 section 5)

http://www.pbc.gov.cn/image_public/...81%EF%BC%89.pdf

Which pretty much says that the only thing putting controls on lending in major cities did was shift lending to rural areas in greater quantities. I wonder why they don't just implement lending controls everywhere, instead of only implementing reactionary controls when a problem arises in certain cities? It seems like a really easy problem to fix since unlike in America, where people get beside themselves when there is government intervention in the market, the Chinese government can just do whatever.

And China is still only at like 15% of America's value of outstanding mortgages before the crash, so while there is a housing bubble there's no mortgage bubble yet...unless they keep being stupid I guess.

The housing "bubble" only really is impacting a handful of cities (where strangely enough half the country wants to live in).

To understand housing, you have to understand hukou.
A hukou is basically a registered official address and changing that hukou ain't easy.... unless, of course, you do it during or immediately after college by working for a state company. Even then, what you end up with is 集体 hukou instead of 个人. The problem with a 集体 hukou is that most are not going to let you have a kid added to it for anything other than temporary basis. To transfer it to 个人 status, you have to have your own property, your own address. This moves the books from the collective address and into your own possession. Failing to do so can basically result in you having to revert your hukou back to where it started to ensure your kid(s) have a valid hukou. The stupid crazy prices tend to center around locations with good schools. The reason? Being able to modify the hukou address, gaining access to the best schools, or at the very least having first go at them during admissions.

Housing is also pretty damned useful for a number of reasons. First off, there's the housing fund. It comes out of the paycheck pre-tax and is matched by the employer. Buying a property is the easiest way to access those funds. Also, it's stability. If you lose your job and are unable to pay, there are legal hoops to jump through, but as long as you can demonstrate that it's your ONLY property and you are living it in yourself, it cannot be seized and auctioned off.

The villas and whatnot have crazy prices mostly due to the neighbors and the fact that you now have some land as well. You cannot just simply buy land and build a house. Land is sold off in large chunks and must be developed to certain requirements, failure to do so loses the land rights.

China has a home ownership rate of something stupid like 90% and the majority of it is owner outright. HELOC really isn't much of a thing... it's doable to a certain degree, but the interest rates on it are horrible. Everyone rushes to the highly-priced cities due to the notion of easy money, few it seems, take into account the living expenses. So they either live like poo poo to save everything they can, or they save nothing and cry about housing being "too expensive". Whole lot of other cities that have lower paying jobs and much more affordable housing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

The problem is the same, the sticking point is just elsewhere in the system. The American financial system crashed because huge financial institutions either were insolvent or didn't know if they were insolvent or not. Who the bad loans go to isn't actually that important. If a property developer takes out a rock-bottom loan to build a housing complex in Buttfuck, Henan and can't recoup the investment then that loan is still going to default. Corporate real estate was actually a huge part of the American collapse but it wasn't reported on as much because a) corporate mortgages were a minority of the problem and b) corporations are rarely blamed for bad decisions in the US media.

Over the long term a bunch of people losing money at once and a financial crash are not that dissimilar. In both scenarios you have people who have lost a lot of money on a bad investment and need to cut spending. I'm having a hard time phrasing this right but the point is that a bank-based debt overhang and a ton of households with negative equity is actually pretty similar in the long run, the biggest difference is whether the transaction was made with future money (debt) or past money (lost equity).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arakan posted:

This is also the best excuse for why the Chinese bubble will never stop. People buy houses with cash, so when everyone runs out of cash, they can just start taking loans. Problem solved.

I actually had a Chinese person say that to me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

This is also the best excuse for why the Chinese bubble will never stop. People buy houses with cash, so when everyone runs out of cash, they can just start taking loans. Problem solved.

I actually had a Chinese person say that to me.

We need :eng99: but for economics and finance.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I also strongly suspect more people take loans to mortgage houses than are willing to admit it. With the prices of houses and the incomes of Chinese people having such a large disconnect, I think for many it would be impossible to not take a mortgage, even accounting for rich parents' savings.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

Tulip bubble was like Pokemon Cards but for an entire country.

hitension posted:

I also strongly suspect more people take loans to mortgage houses than are willing to admit it. With the prices of houses and the incomes of Chinese people having such a large disconnect, I think for many it would be impossible to not take a mortgage, even accounting for rich parents' savings.

This probably also ties into how many people rent versus buy their house (or related living arrangement). If you have a small amount of people actually buying the properties then it could just be a landlord/leaser arrangement.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Don't forget how a unknown-but-probably-enormous portion of this home equity comes from the alternate 'shadow' banking system that is just generally Patient Zero for the impending /future Chinese banking crisis.

Just because its not a 'mortgage' doesn't mean it isn't leverage.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fine-able Offense posted:

Don't forget how a unknown-but-probably-enormous portion of this home equity comes from the alternate 'shadow' banking system that is just generally Patient Zero for the impending /future Chinese banking crisis.

Just because its not a 'mortgage' doesn't mean it isn't leverage.

Elaborate? "Shadow banking?" Got any good articles?

Hah, when I search for "china shadow banking" most of the links I try get the connection reset.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

VideoTapir posted:

Elaborate? "Shadow banking?" Got any good articles?

Hah, when I search for "china shadow banking" most of the links I try get the connection reset.

There are like a dozen different highly suspect elements in the soup people commonly refer to as the Chinese shadow banking sector. The most 'legitimate' (cough cough) are "wealth management products", which are pretty much just ways for the banks to get around reserve restrictions.

To give you a sense of scale, last year Xiao Gang (the PBC CEO) estimated there were over 20,000 wealth management products floating out there.

Beyond WMPs, there are:

-illegal loans written by various politically connected state-owned corporation poobahs, where they either mortgage their land/commodities and loan the money out, or flat out just loan their capital because they can always get more due to having priority on new bank loans;

-Weird-rear end private loan networks;

-Or just garden-variety money laundering

So yeah, there is a LOT of money floating around China, and in the last five to ten years most of it has plowed into a residential real estate bubble. Traditional concepts like "having a mortgage" don't really apply because the source of that much cash pretty much can't be based on local incomes, even in prime coastal cities.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't know the details of it, but I know a guy here that got mega rich by operating an illegal business that has something to do with credit card fraud and dozens of small bank accounts. If you've ever seen those stickers with a phone number stuck to the ground in big cities, they're often advertisements for these businesses. The guy I know stopped doing it and used his money to open a legitimate travel agency after he had a daughter and one of his friends that did the same thing got caught and went to prison.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSydvhw7l0

The Hong Kong government finally set a poverty line. The results are not good. About 20% of Hong Kong is living in poverty by the government's measure. It's also hilarious to watch it scale up for bigger households. When you have a family of 3, the Hong Kong's average monthly income (11-12k) is at the poverty line.

Then Carrie Lam tells us at the end that the best way to fight poverty is with employment. This is right after she tells us how serious the problem is with the working poor. Maybe we should do something about the fact that incomes have not risen in 20 years?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah I watched stuff on the news last night about the new poverty line and it just made me angry and I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes.

e: The best part was something I saw a few weeks ago, where they interviewed some guy who was saying "I think with hard work, we can reduce poverty to under 10% of the population" and this was before there was even a poverty line at all.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 29, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2013-10/06/content_17010973.htm

quote:

Scientists boycott NASA's ban
Updated: 2013-10-06 10:25

WASHINGTON - Several prominent scientists in exoplanet research have decided to boycott a NASA conference after learning Chinese researchers are barred from attending by the space agency, which cited national security as its reason.

The meeting is scheduled to take place at the space agency's Ames Research Center in California this November and will include both U.S. and international teams who work on NASA's exoplanet-hunting Kepler space telescope program.

But Chinese researchers, including those who worked at U.S. universities and other institutions, were denied the opportunity to attend the meeting. NASA officials reportedly said the rejection is in accordance with a law passed first in March 2011 that prohibits government funds from being used to host Chinese nationals at NASA facilities.

Now, NASA is facing a backlash as several big names in exoplanet research, including Debra Fischer, who leads a research group at Yale University, and Geoff Marcy, an astronomy professor at the University of California, Berkeley, who has been tipped to win a Nobel prize for his pioneering work on exoplanets, announced that they will pull out of the meeting in protest.

Fischer told Xinhua that she learned about the legislation when her Chinese postdoctoral fellow, Wang Ji, had his application to the Kepler Science meeting rejected.

"After contacting the scientific organizing committee and confirming the reason for the rejection, I believed that it was not fair that some of our colleagues were barred from the meeting based on their country of origin," Fischer wrote in an email.

"The meeting is about science and planets around stars, not about national defense. There is no classified information -- it is all publicly available data," she said. "I sent notice that my team at Yale University was formally boycotting the meeting. Some of my esteemed colleagues in the community agreed with this position, including Prof Geoff Marcy at UC Berkeley."

Fischer said that many people are waiting to see if an alternative location can be found so that the meeting is open to everyone but the U.S. government closure right now makes discussion difficult. "It is unfortunate that my colleagues who work on the Kepler mission are caught in the middle," she added.

In an interview with British newspaper, The Gardian, Marcy called the ban "completely shameful and unethical". "It is completely unethical for the United States of America to exclude certain countries from pure science research," Marcy said. "It's an ethical breach that is unacceptable. You have to draw the line."

"In good conscience, I cannot attend a meeting that discriminates in this way," Marcy said in an email to the conference organizers. "The meeting is about planets located trillions of miles away, with no national security implications."

Chris Lintott, an astronomer at Oxford University, told the newspaper that he was "shocked and upset" by the way this policy has been applied.

"Science is supposed to be open to all and restricting those who can attend by nationality goes against years of practice, going right back to cold war conferences of Russian and western physicists," Lintott said. "The Kepler team should move their conference somewhere else -- and I hope everyone boycotts until they do."

The Congressional law has raised fears among some NASA-funded scientists that they will have to sever ties with their Chinese collaborators, and no longer take on Chinese students, the report added.

The legislation in question. Ctrl-f for "chinese"
http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20130318/BILLS-113hr933eas.pdf

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It seems like this would fall under the exception noted:

quote:

(c) The limitations described in subsections (a) and (b) shall not apply to activities which NASA or OSTP has certified—
(1) pose no risk of resulting in the transfer of
technology, data, or other information with national
security or economic security implications to China
or a Chinese-owned company; and
(2) will not involve knowing interactions with officials who have been determined by the United States to have direct involvement with violations of human rights.

Regardless, I'm kind of glad my career path seems to be going away from the federal government/contracting. it seems like just dating a foreign national, let alone marrying one is grounds for disqualification of a myriad of security clearances.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If the Chinese find an earth-like exoplanet before we do, then Chairman Yang will have a head start on the Morganites.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

If the Chinese find an earth-like exoplanet before we do, then Chairman Yang will have a head start on the Morganites.

Is that a Fallout reference?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
alpha centauri

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Earlier this week, three Hong Kong reporters ambushed Philippine President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino to ask him (scream at him) a bunch of retarded questions about the bus thing at the APEC summit in Indonesia. He ignored them, then APEC staff got pissed at the reporters, threw them out and revoked their press passes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrpmmKsnzI

That reignited the anger about the bus thing and apparently CY Leung has gotten Noynoy to agree to a meeting to discuss this poo poo some more. I guess he's gonna try to get the Philippines to give a bunch of money to the victims? That's really what it's all about. There have been apologies. Hong Kongers are just racists who like to poo poo on Filipinos and here's also a chance to extract free money from a tragedy. They already got insurance payouts.

Now here's something fun:
Lawmakers propose to ban maids to force apology over Manila bus tragedy

A dumbass posted:

"Aquino has been humiliating Hongkongers," lawmaker Albert Chan Wai-yip, of People Power, said. "The government has the responsibility to take a tougher stance to penalise the country for its response to the tragedy."

People Power seeks changes to the law in three steps: first, to ban new Filipino domestic helpers; secondly, to stop renewing the entry permits of existing maids; and lastly, to bar all Filipinos from entering Hong Kong until the Philippines apologises.

The city has about 160,000 Filipino domestic workers.

If this idiot thinks banning Filipino maids would hurt the Philippines more than it 'hurts' Hong Kong, he's really a big dumb retard. But yessss. Pleeaase. Be my guest. Go ahead. Ban all the maids. From everywhere. Let's flip this poo poo upside down.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How much does the psychological scarring of Filipino maids cost the Phillipine economy and is it offset by remittances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
So as an ignorant westerner who has been force-fed media about how China is an economic bogeyman who wants to overthrow the west and take over the world, how are the Chinese generally receiving this default crisis in the US at the moment? Apathy? Panic? Smugness? Does China have a backup plan for their economy if buying US debt becomes less feasible in the near future?