Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LordPants posted:

I'm at #7 on comixology, and I'm thinking I'd like these in print. Are these collected in any large hardcovers? Or just the individual trades?

Just trades, and they're currently being reprinted with ancillary stories. Volume 4 was the last one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
John Constantine, ladies and gentlemen.

There are no words.

Sentinel Red fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 20, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Well, it was a good run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Am I missing something here?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think he linked an image instead of hosting it himself and it's blocked.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

There are no words.

Oh good, he is wearing Spandex.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys act like we've never seen John in a costume before

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sentinel Red posted:

There are no words.

What John tapped by Shazam as a new Captain Marvel or something?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Apparently they're trying to adapt Hellblazer for TV? (from Hollywood Reporter)

""The Mentalist's" Daniel Cerone and "The Dark Knight" co-writer will adapt the comics about a man-turned-supernatural detective.

DC Comics is having a stellar development season.
Following Fox's straight-to-series pickup of Batman prequel Gotham, the Warner Bros. Television-based comics publisher's Constantine is being adapted at NBC. The comics center on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent conman turned reluctant supernatural detective, who is thrust into the role of defending the human race against dark forces from beyond. Da Vinci's Demons showrunner David S. Goyer will pen the script alongside The Mentalist EP Daniel Cerone for Warner Bros. Television. NBC has committed to a script plus penalty for the project.

Constantine joins Warner Bros. Television's several other comic-themed projects this development season, including potential Arrow spinoff The Flash, starring Glee's Grant Gustin; and Gotham, from The Mentalist's showrunner Bruno Heller. For his part, Goyer has a history with DC Comics. He penned the screenplays for Man of Steel, The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Starz's Magic City, meanwhile, will return for a second season on the premium cable network."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I really don't understand how Goyer is so beloved by the comic adaptation industry. It's painfully obvious that of his many projects, the sucessful ones succeed in spite of his efforts, not because of them. It's always let's overlook that the painfully unnecessary over exposition scenes from batman are his trademark and act like he wrote the good stuff too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think Hellblazer could work as a TV series, though I suspect they'll call it Constantine. I just hope they keep him British, and more like "old John" than a younger one. Though...I'm guessing they'll keep him young to appeal to more people blah blah.

*edit* Oh look at that, you actually said Constantine. Doh.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope every season it has to change casts due to everyone dying by the finale except for John and Chaz.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope every season it has to change casts due to everyone dying by the finale except for John and Chaz.

Man imagine if the premiere was Newcastle...could actually work, introduce the cast that becomes the ghosts that bother him...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They're going to pronounce his name to rhyme with "bean".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Medullah posted:

Man imagine if the premiere was Newcastle...could actually work, introduce the cast that becomes the ghosts that bother him...

Better yet, have it be a flashback season finale. Like with Swamp Thing's use of the character beforehand, we KNOW Newcastle is real bad long before we find out why.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm only into if if they set it in Thatcherite Britain. And it has to make fun of railfans. Angry British comic writers are the best comic writers.

As long as there are no episodes about killer ghosts that "just wanted a hug". Not a fan Gaiman, not a fan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

I'm only into if if they set it in Thatcherite Britain. And it has to make fun of railfans. Angry British comic writers are the best comic writers.

As long as there are no episodes about killer ghosts that "just wanted a hug". Not a fan Gaiman, not a fan.

What about a giant demon dog that "hugs"?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dangerous Habits would make for a pretty bad rear end season, if they ended the season like they ended the story. Yeah, the Keanu version had the flip off to the First, but it could be done do much better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

So Elvis Costello's Tramp that dirt down would play during an episode?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So is the New 52 version of Constantine totally loving terrible?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

So is the New 52 version of Constantine totally loving terrible?

He's really bland and watered down but a good writer can potentially salvage him.

I thought he was great in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing 2 parter where he was a complete bastard (and was also under some sort of strange posession). Everywhere else I've seen him in he's been really boring.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

He's really bland and watered down but a good writer can potentially salvage him.

I thought he was great in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing 2 parter where he was a complete bastard (and was also under some sort of strange posession). Everywhere else I've seen him in he's been really boring.

I feel like Jeff Lemire is doing really good things with Animal Man and it's pretty much in the same horror vein as old Hellblazer (except instead of lovable, rogueish conman in over his head, it's struggling-to-be-capable dad).

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So I have been absent from this thread for a while, life, other books to read, I honestly can't remember where I left off, but I started back in again at issue 150. Has anyone been reading the new Constantine? Is it worth reading after I am done with this series? Also what series should I read next?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flaggy posted:

Has anyone been reading the new Constantine? Is it worth reading after I am done with this series? Also what series should I read next?

Answers in order: no, gently caress no, and The Unwritten.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I'm just over 100 issues into a start-to-finish Hellblazer read and I've noticed that quite a few issues aren't collected in any trades...what gives?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

demozthenes posted:

I'm just over 100 issues into a start-to-finish Hellblazer read and I've noticed that quite a few issues aren't collected in any trades...what gives?

You are expecting logic from the DC Trade Department and you are not ever going to get it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

demozthenes posted:

Trades weren't that popular back in the day. Now it's expected that every comic is going to be reprinted and collected. Back then, it really was only a few runs here and there that were collected.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

demozthenes posted:

This is being rectified with the new releases.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hellblazer's TPB release schedule has always been focacta. For a long while they weren't even close to resembling chronological order as far as story arcs go. At least that's one title that survives being read out of order though, and not like they were doing it to Swamp Thing or something.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Choco1980 posted:

Hellblazer's TPB release schedule has always been focacta. For a long while they weren't even close to resembling chronological order as far as story arcs go. At least that's one title that survives being read out of order though, and not like they were doing it to Swamp Thing or something.
OTOH, until their re-release three-ish years ago, the first volume of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing didn't actually collect his first issue... It's even pretty good, for a "loose ends"-issue!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

That is not true. Original sins was released in 1997 and the next trade that had the conclusion to the cliffhanger was released in 2007.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I started reading Hellblazer at issue 1, after getting hooked by Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. Quit during Azz's run, picked it up again at the end of Jenkins, quit for good sometime in Milligan's run. Will not touch that new series, and I want to drown whomever green lighted the Trenchcoat Brigade.

Love Delano and Diggle especially well, although most writers did a passing job, Azz and Mina excepted. Am surprised for the lack of love for Ellis ITT. I thought his far too short run had some outstanding stories.

Also, Bradstreet's cover art. <3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bilirubin posted:

I started reading Hellblazer at issue 1, after getting hooked by Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. Quit during Azz's run, picked it up again at the end of Jenkins, quit for good sometime in Milligan's run. Will not touch that new series, and I want to drown whomever green lighted the Trenchcoat Brigade.

Love Delano and Diggle especially well, although most writers did a passing job, Azz and Mina excepted. Am surprised for the lack of love for Ellis ITT. I thought his far too short run had some outstanding stories.

Also, Bradstreet's cover art. <3

I will never understand people who don't like Azzarello's Hellblazer, it was awesome. I also think Carey's run immediately following it isn't talked about enough. I had a major issue with Milligan's run, where he tries to slip that girl a love potion. Because while I can buy Constantine being an utter bastard to save his own neck, or save the world, but just because he's horny and lonely?

Does anyone have a link to the unpublished Ellis story about the school shootings, it was inked but never colored. I know it was floating around on the net for a while. (If this is too :filez: let me know and I'll edit the post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude, they published that issue like 3 years ago in a special one off. And it's a total poo poo comic and Ellis should be ashamed of writing such a piece of poo poo.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Rhyno posted:

Dude, they published that issue like 3 years ago in a special one off. And it's a total poo poo comic and Ellis should be ashamed of writing such a piece of poo poo.

Yes.

The victims of Columbine wanted to be shot because they live in small town America, and hurr Merica sucks.

Brilliant Ellis, brilliant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Oh, that's too bad. Probably should have remained an unpublished urban legend, "The Hellblazer comic that was too extreme for Vertigo."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

God Of Paradise posted:

Yes.

The victims of Columbine wanted to be shot because they live in small town America, and hurr Merica sucks.

Brilliant Ellis, brilliant.

You seem to be taking it too literally, the idea was more of that the problem behind school shootings and teenage violence lies in the deep cultural apathy caused by larger socioeconomic factors, not by some media boogeyman - and that apathy affects perpetrators and victims alike, them being of one social slice. And the last "provocative" page is just a horror movie stinger, because Hellblazer is a horror book first and foremost.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

fatherboxx posted:

You seem to be taking it too literally, the idea was more of that the problem behind school shootings and teenage violence lies in the deep cultural apathy caused by larger socioeconomic factors, not by some media boogeyman - and that apathy affects perpetrators and victims alike, them being of one social slice. And the last "provocative" page is just a horror movie stinger, because Hellblazer is a horror book first and foremost.

"He draws the gun. And none of these children are running away. I see kids in a schoolyard in some dead end hole of a town, in some rear end in a top hat country, in some crumbling state with no education, no future, and no hope and they're waiting. They're just standing there. Born into a life that's sliding out of view, looking forwards to turning out like their mommies and daddies. Life already lived for them. Life in a world mommy and daddy couldn't be arsed to build properly, a world that makes no loving sense. A world where kids go to special classes to learn to recognize real emotion and language because they were raised by the television. They're only kids for christ's sake. This is the best response they can manage in the insane loving world they're in. They stand there and wait for the bullet." - Warren Ellis, from Shoot.

It's the equivalent of me traveling overseas, and writing an episode of Red Dwarf about how Margaret Thatcher's politics are to blame for the crimes of Dennis Nielsen.

If I did that my script would of been trite, absurd and insanely stupid, in equal parts.

Actually, gently caress that, it's worse.

"The children Ian Brady and Mira Hindley murdered wanted to die, because being brutally murdered is better than growing up in Stains," said Dave Lister, as his rocket ship went into warp drive.

I'm being facetious, but that's the exact same thing Ellis was doing and writing.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 23, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a bad comic is what I am saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

Except that's still not right and it's still a bad comic.

• Locked thread