Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

I wonder what the average Chinese tour to Auschwitz looks like.

Auschwitz would pretty drat low on the list though. There's a lot more to see and do in Europe like buying a truck load of Channel and LV bags. Or see some windmills in the Netherlands. I don't think a memorial over the genocide would be very attractive to the typical tour group. It's also pretty far away too.

As a friend of Judaism, I don't think even I would go to Auschwitz. I went to the Jewish memorial in Berlin and placed a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I can just imagine Chinese people walking around Auschwitz or Dachau asking people, "Do you know Nanjing?"

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
My wife sent me this picture postcard from Shenzhen:

A whole brood (50+) of cockroaches that were unlucky enough to hatch inside a 'cockroach house' (pest control device, '蟑螂屋', basically a clump of pesticide in a cardboard box that the cockroaches go into.) It's not pictured, but the cardboard 'house' has a picture of a smiling cockroach waving from a window on the side. You can see the white picket fence though. It's actually pretty sad, and the fact that I bought these for my wife in the supermarket has probably given me bad karma.

I've lived in a fair few places across China, and the country has a cockroach problem the likes of which God has never seen. I once saw swarms of them, thousands upon thousands, pouring out/into the storm drains in Huzhou. Blergh.

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 27, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Hope she just stumbled across that and it's not in home/food store/restaurant.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Very much in her house. And it's an expensive 'modern apartment' too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yes, I don't know about other cities in China but here in Shenzhen literally every building has cockroaches. 100% of them. Our new office building, which at the time was a good 100 meters away from any other building, was infested within 2 months of the grand opening.

But if you live in a relatively good building and keep your place spotless and put out preventative measures then you can reduce them to seeing about 1 per month or so. I was seeing about 2-3 per week at my last place and then one day I was spontaneously infested with geckos and after that I only saw 1 cockroach for the rest of the year I lived there. Geckos are much cooler.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

I heard Cantonese is just like Mandarin but louder, faster, and whinier? C/D

A friend of mine in the States who grew up in Tianjin told me Cantonese was like Mandarin if a dog with a broken jaw and a lisp tried to speak Mandarin.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

A friend of mine in the States who grew up in Tianjin told me Cantonese was like Mandarin if a dog with a broken jaw and a lisp tried to speak Mandarin.

This is incorrect in case anyone was wondering.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

MeramJert posted:

This is incorrect in case anyone was wondering.

C'mon. Everyone knows southerners are tricksy and can peel a shrimp with their tongue and northerners smell like garlic and mutton. I don't know what you are trying to say here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sogol posted:

C'mon. Everyone knows southerners are tricksy and can peel a shrimp with their tongue and northerners smell like garlic and mutton. I don't know what you are trying to say here.

I've also seen people from hubei that can peel a shrimp with their tongue, though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:barf: I hate roaches, they make my skin crawl. It's weird, once you cross the magical border into China, you see a lot more pests everywhere.

MeramJert posted:

I've also seen people from hubei that can peel a shrimp with their tongue, though.

True signs of a southerner: Hubei is already waaaaaaaay too north. There's the word "north" in it, so that's north enough :downsrim:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Departing for Shanghai in less than 24 hours.

I was just wondering what kind of souvenir to gift my friends. Any ideas where to find something nice that is not some horrible tourist nonsense ?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Potato chips in flavors like crackling pork and crab guts. Buy touristy stuff at tour sites, the airport shops are crazy expensive.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

caberham posted:

:barf: I hate roaches, they make my skin crawl. It's weird, once you cross the magical border into China, you see a lot more pests everywhere.

I am someone who neeeeeeeeeeeeds a super clean apartment (traveling in the US this summer meant I was perpetually untidy and living out of a suitcase, which was awful), and as such ours is pretty nice. Yet at least once a month I find a huge roach chilling in our living room by the front door, as it as wandered over from the hoarder's next door. It's repulsive, and there is no way to get rid of them (we have roach-killing stuff in our apartment as well) because the neighbor's won't.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005
I like the Changsha zoo. It was newly built 3 or 4 years ago so it's kinda still in good shape. Highlights are buying pieces of meet and throwing it into the wolf and lion dens. There's also a caged bus you can go on that travels through the wolf, lion, and other big cat dens. The cats will often go right up to the bus thinking there's food.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Good morning china, no running water for me today. At least it wasnt too hot yesterday/last night.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

FearCotton posted:

I am someone who neeeeeeeeeeeeds a super clean apartment (traveling in the US this summer meant I was perpetually untidy and living out of a suitcase, which was awful), and as such ours is pretty nice. Yet at least once a month I find a huge roach chilling in our living room by the front door, as it as wandered over from the hoarder's next door. It's repulsive, and there is no way to get rid of them (we have roach-killing stuff in our apartment as well) because the neighbor's won't.
My neighbors seem to be generally clean folks inside their apartments. But anywhere outside their front door is open game for gross. They drop bags full of food and oil for the old cleaning lady to take out. Drop and splat, oil everywhere. The hallway is like a buffet for roaches.

Better than rats, though. There's a cat family around that keeps the rats away, though. So that's nice. Also cute kitties :3:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
You guys have me kind of worried now because I've never seen a roach in this apartment despite it only being on the second floor and just leaving food out on the table with maybe a torn piece of cellophane over it overnight. Whats killing the roaches??

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

Very much in her house. And it's an expensive 'modern apartment' too.

Where did you get the cockroach traps what brand URGENT PLEASE HELP.

Seriously my whole neighborhood is infested. Including my apartment. In the states I was taught this was a shameful thing. While cleaning behind sofas I found an old air conditioning wall hole that had never been closed. And a bunch of betel nut shells. That wasn't so bad, I swept up the shells and sealed the hole with some plastic. Pulled my bed out from the wall and realized that the previous tenant had considered the headboard a garbage disposal area. :gonk:

I have cockroaches.

Baddog posted:

You guys have me kind of worried now because I've never seen a roach in this apartment despite it only being on the second floor and just leaving food out on the table with maybe a torn piece of cellophane over it overnight. Whats killing the roaches??

Maybe you have centipedes. Those little sneaky leggybugs you see zooming around occasionally? They are to cockroaches what dragons are to filthy peasants. I tried to find live mail order centipedes (hey they do it with bees) online when I first discovered my roach problem. No such luck.

And seriously, what brand, where did you get them, SERIOUS QUESTION.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Man if you were looking to intentionally infest your place with centipedes the roaches must be a real problem. They are both terrible things that should never be indoors.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Centipedes, in my REAL CHINA?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You should get geckos instead. They'll take care of your roach problem and they're cuter than centipedes

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Argle, can you quit wechat? It's full and you haven't been using it for ages :eng99:

You need to get lots of borax and mop your floors with it. That way the roaches will dehydrate and die. Some goon in wechat was posting his epic struggle against the gernomino of roaches

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

And seriously, what brand, where did you get them, SERIOUS QUESTION.

The answer is always Taobao.

I put one like this in the hallway:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.19.1IBfBe&id=19213585062

This looks like the one he used above:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id...r.1.17.8.1IBfBe (note the little roach, so happy to die!)

And if you're going hardcore:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id...r.1.17.5.1IBfBe

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Man if you were looking to intentionally infest your place with centipedes the roaches must be a real problem. They are both terrible things that should never be indoors.

House centipedes are actually cool as poo poo and don't even interact with people as they hate our food, light and anything that isn't eating termites, ants and cockroaches.

When I lived in Hangzhou I saw one once in 18 months in my place. I saw 0 roaches in my home in that same time period. They're considered pretty much the best anti-roach method there is as they're safe, non-toxic and completely harmless to humans.

The issue is they look like they crawled out of a portal from hell.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

House centipedes are actually cool as poo poo and don't even interact with people as they hate our food, light and anything that isn't eating termites, ants and cockroaches.

When I lived in Hangzhou I saw one once in 18 months in my place. I saw 0 roaches in my home in that same time period. They're considered pretty much the best anti-roach method there is as they're safe, non-toxic and completely harmless to humans.

I, for one, welcome our new hellspawn overlords.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

Yes.

If I had centipedes in the walls killing roaches I'm cool with that, as long as I never see one ever. The problem is that they wander out into the world of man and then they must die.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fuuck that reminds me I locked my little bank authenticator being an idiot.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Seems to me geckos also eat roaches for the southern climes.

Are we talking common roaches here or the inch long flying fuckers?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah don't be ignorant about centipedes! It's not their fault they look weird and the only reason they would move towards you is if they think they can hide under your shoe. They're not the brightest. :shobon: I don't have a problem with centipedes, I think they look cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W3R3EElMho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sogol posted:

Seems to me geckos also eat roaches for the southern climes.

Are we talking common roaches here or the inch long flying fuckers?

Yes this is what I've been saying. Geckos will happily eat both types. I know from experience.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
Jesus what a terrible decision to youtube up some videos of centipedes feeding on roaches. Not gonna sleep well for weeks.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
In the spring, leave one your windows open without a fly screen. The geckos will find their way in.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I had a gecko that was like 5 inches long run across my wall at my old place. And once my girlfriend though I had bought a small rubber gecko toy and left it on the table and when she tried to pick it up it ran away and she screamed. I love those little guys.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

MeramJert posted:

I had a gecko that was like 5 inches long run across my wall at my old place. And once my girlfriend though I had bought a small rubber gecko toy and left it on the table and when she tried to pick it up it ran away and she screamed. I love those little guys.

We had a family of about 3 of them that lived outside (and probably inside, let's be real) our Beijing apartment--which in turn had no bugs. I loved them and would gladly welcome them back. They have never run across my foot in the bathroom at 4am.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Argle, can you quit wechat? It's full and you haven't been using it for ages :eng99:

Look at these China goons, using inferior software. KakaoTalk or bust!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
After massacreing literally hundreds of roaches with chemical weapons recently, I put down some glue traps. Never used them before, and man, I love the way they work. Roaches will avoid dead roaches, and they'll happily congregate together with other roaches. The glue doesn't kill them. The stuff that is supposed to attract them...I'm not sure it works, because the trap will sit there empty for days, even in a relatively high-traffic area. But once it's got it's first couple roaches, though, it's fuckin' party time. It's just like Chinese people looking for a restaurant.

Now I'm down to a dwindling few babies, almost no adults. I think I've got 'em on the ropes.

While we're on bug chat: mosquitoes. I'm from AK, so I THOUGHT I knew mosquitoes, and while Alaska surely beats China on quantity, oh man the quality of the mosquitoes here. In Alaska they're slow, loud, and stupid. It's trivial to slay them by the dozen. Grab them out of the air, no problem.

The ones they have here, they're quiet. You can barely hear them above a fan. And they don't fly when you're most likely to find them. They wait until the lights go out, and they don't come up immediately. If you go for one and you miss, you won't see it again for hours. And they are quick. Quick as houseflies. Swatting a mosquito on a wall or limb is trivial in Alaska. Here, if you don't approach from their blind spot, or with enough speed to cause nerve damage if you're hitting concrete, you might as well not try.

About the blind spot: imagine a plane that bisects the mosquito laterally. If that mosquito is on a flat surface, imagine a line perpendicular to that surface going about through the middle of the mosquito. Now on that plane take an arc going from that line down towards the surface the mosquito is standing on, backwards along the mosquito, about 60 or 70 degrees. You can strike from anywhere within about 30 or 40 degrees to the left or right of that arc. Basically, come at them from above and to the rear, not too far to either side. Go outside that zone and you'll miss.

The way to get them in the open is to turn the lights off for an hour or so, then turn them on. The mosquitoes will be in the air, and they'll land as quickly as they can when the lights come on. If your walls are white, they're easy to find at that point.

Or you could give up and get a mosquito net.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 28, 2013

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

:words: about bugs

Yeah, we have some nasty ones like this in Yuyao. I'm from Maine, so I'm accustomed to doing battle with the infamous black flies (dear tourists: we breed 'em, you feed 'em), but the little fuckers we have here are crafty. They don't do you the favor of announcing their presence before they try to suck half a pint out of you.

Not very sporting of them, :wotwot:...

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 28, 2013

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

VideoTapir posted:

While we're on bug chat: mosquitoes. I'm from AK, so I THOUGHT I knew mosquitoes, and while
The ones they have here, they're quiet. You can barely hear them above a fan. And they don't fly when you're most likely to find them. They wait until the lights go out, and they don't come up immediately. If you go for one and you miss, you won't see it again for hours. And they are quick. Quick as houseflies. Swatting a mosquito on a wall or limb is trivial in Alaska. Here, if you don't approach from their blind spot, or with enough speed to cause nerve damage if you're hitting concrete, you might as well not try.

About the blind spot: imagine a plane that bisects the mosquito laterally. If that mosquito is on a flat surface, imagine a line perpendicular to that surface going about through the middle of the mosquito. Now on that plane take an arc going from that line down towards the surface the mosquito is standing on, backwards along the mosquito, about 60 or 70 degrees. You can strike from anywhere within about 30 or 40 degrees to the left or right of that arc. Basically, come at them from above and to the rear, not too far to either side. Go outside that zone and you'll miss.

I can never, ever slap a mosquito that's on a wall (grabbing them out of the sky is okay in a crowded place with bright lights), but using a flyswatter works really well. The one I have at home is transparent plastic, and mosquitoes don't seem to be able to see/sense it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Two bucks for a pack of norfloxacin, crazy. What's bad is its 4 pills per dose and 10 pills per pack, so you know most people here are loving up the course of treatment.

Also 2nd day without running water. Couple random dudes were just standing around this big hole with a bunch of standing water in it 'waiting for the water to dry'. It's humid as gently caress here guys, that poo poo ain't drying up anytime soon.