Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If anyone cares, that one Steam Greenlight game Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos got released and it's getting decent reviews.

e: It is indeed 5 bucks.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dysfunctional Systems is pretty good. It's definitely worth 5 bucks, if they're still selling it for that on Steam.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oof, finally finished Grisaia no Kajitsu. I'm honestly pretty stumped how to sum up or rate this one, but at the highest level I think I can clearly state that while I enjoyed the common route a good deal I was essentially constantly bored in the heroine routes. I've said before that it does a pretty good job whenever it handled comedy, and not only is the common route have the most comedy it's also by far the best paced (ironic given how long it is). Someone said earlier that Grisaia is easy to digest because each scene is only about 15 minutes long, as opposed to say Rewrite, and I agree with that. I didn't go at it all at once but I never felt the need to put the game down for an extended period of time either.

I think much of that went out the window in the individual routes, where the comedy was put on the back burner for the far inferior attempts at being serious and the pacing went to hell as the scenes got much longer (they kind of had to, since they were now obligated to actually tell a story). While I would not go as far as to say any one of them was outright bad, I would say all of them were pretty drat boring. I really got burnt out on Makina's route in particular. I don't think there were any standouts, making a ranking of them a pointless exercise. I would call all of them equally dull.

I'm not sure whether the knowledge of this being a trilogy helped or hurt my expectations. I still could not care less about Yuuji's backstory, and given that the sequel will probably deal with it I feel fairly hesitant to feel excited about them unless the reviews really are that glowing. I don't even know what it is specifically, but it just feels so uninspired. He's like a poor man's Sousuke Sagara (with a dab of misogyny). The only time this wasn't the case, and I think it was a big mistake not to include elements of this elsewhere, was in Makina's route when his "other personality" was surfacing. That could have been a half-way decent plot device if utilized properly; as it is, it almost feels like it's just a random thing the author of the Makina route threw in for shits and giggles. I almost wouldn't be surprised if it were never brought up again.

The only saving grace for the sequels is that they're apparently a lot shorter, I guess.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 27, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I've been told Makina's route is very important for the sequels so I'm sure that will be addressed in the sequels.

And yeah the common route is the best part of the game. I think the game is at it's best when the cast interacts with each other and that may be why the individual routes aren't as good.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 27, 2013

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Finished G-Senjou no Maou. Excellent, excellent story. I would have preferred it if Kyouusuke had turned out to be Maou so we could have a split personality VS mystery story but that's mostly personal preference since I was really interested to see that kind of story. What we got was still great. I was originally going to complain about the anti-climax ending, but then the epilogue started and all disappointment went out the window. Maou managed to remain a incredibly threatening yet still believably beatable antagonist the whole way through and I never felt like he went to ridiculous future sight levels of plotting. Loved every second of it and it brought everything to a very fitting close. Would easily recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

Oof, finally finished Grisaia no Kajitsu. I'm honestly pretty stumped how to sum up or rate this one, but at the highest level I think I can clearly state that while I enjoyed the common route a good deal I was essentially constantly bored in the heroine routes. I've said before that it does a pretty good job whenever it handled comedy, and not only is the common route have the most comedy it's also by far the best paced (ironic given how long it is). Someone said earlier that Grisaia is easy to digest because each scene is only about 15 minutes long, as opposed to say Rewrite, and I agree with that. I didn't go at it all at once but I never felt the need to put the game down for an extended period of time either.

I think much of that went out the window in the individual routes, where the comedy was put on the back burner for the far inferior attempts at being serious and the pacing went to hell as the scenes got much longer (they kind of had to, since they were now obligated to actually tell a story). While I would not go as far as to say any one of them was outright bad, I would say all of them were pretty drat boring. I really got burnt out on Makina's route in particular. I don't think there were any standouts, making a ranking of them a pointless exercise. I would call all of them equally dull.

I'm not sure whether the knowledge of this being a trilogy helped or hurt my expectations. I still could not care less about Yuuji's backstory, and given that the sequel will probably deal with it I feel fairly hesitant to feel excited about them unless the reviews really are that glowing. I don't even know what it is specifically, but it just feels so uninspired. He's like a poor man's Sousuke Sagara (with a dab of misogyny). The only time this wasn't the case, and I think it was a big mistake not to include elements of this elsewhere, was in Makina's route when his "other personality" was surfacing. That could have been a half-way decent plot device if utilized properly; as it is, it almost feels like it's just a random thing the author of the Makina route threw in for shits and giggles. I almost wouldn't be surprised if it were never brought up again.

The only saving grace for the sequels is that they're apparently a lot shorter, I guess.

I agree with your assessment - common route was great, heroine routes were long, boring, often nonsensical. It felt like they were just trying to get all the backstory and whatnot fleshed out so the real story could begin (in the next games).

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Chickenfrogman posted:

Finished G-Senjou no Maou. Excellent, excellent story. I would have preferred it if Kyouusuke had turned out to be Maou so we could have a split personality VS mystery story but that's mostly personal preference since I was really interested to see that kind of story. What we got was still great. I was originally going to complain about the anti-climax ending, but then the epilogue started and all disappointment went out the window. Maou managed to remain a incredibly threatening yet still believably beatable antagonist the whole way through and I never felt like he went to ridiculous future sight levels of plotting. Loved every second of it and it brought everything to a very fitting close. Would easily recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it.

I think it's interesting that you called him believably beatable. I didn't think G-Sen succeeded there personally. I mean, thinking about it... he never loses throughout the whole VN! I don't think he looks untouchable in the VN, but it disappointed me that, despite being his mortal enemy, Haru never achieves a victory over him.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Uminenko Chapter 4: All the sudden we're taking about loser flags. This is becoming meta.
Lets see Krauss's power level is 6 rushing from both sides x4 critical hit is x8 and x160 for tripping so many lose flags x12 for cross counter....lets see *takes out calculator*= that goat it hosed!
And the Siesta Sisters must be using Windows Vista. Took forever to boot up. Sure glad I upgraded to Windows 7.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 27, 2013

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Myriad Truths posted:

I think it's interesting that you called him believably beatable. I didn't think G-Sen succeeded there personally. I mean, thinking about it... he never loses throughout the whole VN! I don't think he looks untouchable in the VN, but it disappointed me that, despite being his mortal enemy, Haru never achieves a victory over him.

I think that's the whole point though. Haru's character arc was primarily about her obsession with revenge, the same as Maou. To have her defeat him when a major point of the novel was the cycle of revenge would allow her to fulfill revenge which is portrayed as a hollow and empty thing. Maou trying to let her take revenge at the very end sort of highlighted that. I was more referring to the fact that Maou is actively forced to adapt and compromise along with constantly avoid bringing the police into things for fear of getting caught, which I found a refreshing change from the usual evil mastermind. If Haru had beaten him and actually did acquire her revenge, I feel it would have made Kyouusuke's last actions and the end of the story a bit weaker thematically.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
+ Angel Beats is getting its VN finally
- UGUU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm torn between wanting a new story or a simply updated version of the anime with a lot of content inserted in where there were gaps before. Either way, it's a project I will definitely be keeping an eye on.

Apparently the announcement was from here:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I enjoyed Angel Beats probably more than I should have so I'm excited to see this finally happening.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Angel Beats was the first anime I watched, and is still one of my favorites. The only thing that held it back from being something really exceptional was its 13 episode season. Giving it a VN treatment to flesh out all the other characters is an excellent move, and I'll be eagerly waiting to see how this turns out.

edit: This might actually be Key's first game with more guy characters than girls. There are at least 8 guys who got real screentime in the anime, while I can only think of 5 girls who would be reasonably likely to get their own 'routes': Yuri, Tenshi/Kanade, Yui, Shiina, and Iwasawa.

BHB fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 27, 2013

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Stall_19 posted:

Uminenko Chapter 4:

Out of everything in Umineko, I think that particular scene was the least believable.

Also the best thing the Graphical patch did. The joke works so much better with a (completely inconsequential spoiler) physical Loser Flag counter.

(Umineko later EP4 spoilers)
Especially when it comes back.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
Angel Beats stopped me from really liking it with the crazy beginning that was non-sense for like 6 episodes. And the ending that broke my heart and got me mad. After I finished it I realized I liked the premise but it wasn't executed well enough. The fact that it's finally happening and they'll get the VN out makes me a bit excited. If they can flesh it out and stop that horrible sad ending from happening I'm sure it'll be great!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hi, welcome to KEY, I hope you enjoy your stay in the pit of comedy > drama > tears.

Also why is a show managing to emotionally affect you a bad thing?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Classy Hydra posted:

Out of everything in Umineko, I think that particular scene was the least believable.

Well isn't that the point?

By then everybody involved, including the reader, knew the magic scenes were fake. So Beatrice just made them as over the top as possible.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Hi, welcome to KEY, I hope you enjoy your stay in the pit of comedy > drama > tears.

Also why is a show managing to emotionally affect you a bad thing?

It sounds a little like he missed the little bit after the credits of the last episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Angel Beats stopped me from really liking it with the crazy beginning that was non-sense for like 6 episodes. And the ending that broke my heart and got me mad. After I finished it I realized I liked the premise but it wasn't executed well enough. The fact that it's finally happening and they'll get the VN out makes me a bit excited. If they can flesh it out and stop that horrible sad ending from happening I'm sure it'll be great!

The beginning was fine, there really isn't anything to complain about. As for execution, they tried to condense an originally 2 course season into 1, and the pacing paid the price.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Blhue posted:

It sounds a little like he missed the little bit after the credits of the last episode.

Oh shoot, I may have, I need to look into that when I get home.

Also, it's not that it made me get emotional was bad. Plenty of shows made me cry. It just made me emotional and it made me mad. I was so upset at angel just leaving instead of staying if only for a little while with the MC.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

The biggest problem I had with the Angel Beats! anime was it was way to short. 13 episodes were obviously not enough to tell the story the author wanted to tell. Definitely looking forward to it even though it's going to take awhile before I could play it.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Apparently the release date is set for Spring 2014. Which means I might be lucky to play it in 2016! But at least chances are pretty high that somebody will pick it up to translate because there's a lot of AB! fans and everything Key puts out gets translated at some point or another. Regardless, I liked the premise of the series, and I hope they use it to it's full potential.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Oh shoot, I may have, I need to look into that when I get home.

Also, it's not that it made me get emotional was bad. Plenty of shows made me cry. It just made me emotional and it made me mad. I was so upset at angel just leaving instead of staying if only for a little while with the MC.

Man if the TV ending made you that mad I cant imagine your response would be to the one on the DVD release. (Which I think is intended to be the actual ending?)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure it is just an alternate "what if". Guess we'll know for sure in the VN!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I dunno if either is any more real than the other. The TV release ending felt more "right" to me than the other, which just felt like an artificially melodramatic one. Was that actually the post-credits bit on the dvd release or was it a bonus material thing?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not actually sure, I watched it on netflix (which didnt include that scene) and ended up seeing that on youtube and the video just said it was from the DVD.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was a DVD extra.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That's what I figured. You saw it pretty much the same way I did, Ibram.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty sure it is just an alternate "what if". Guess we'll know for sure in the VN!

I'm pretty sure it's a "what-if" since there were really only 2 potential endings. The TV epilogue covered one, and the extra covered the other.

What I'm really interested in seeing are the side routes, assuming there are any. We all know (to an extent) the main plot line pretty well from the show, but this is their chance to explore other interesting possibilities in this surreal world.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

No no, its an in between. He spent a lot of time helping others before he could get over it and move on himself.

I was happy with this ending until the after credits scene. Thought ~they meet again in another life~ was pretty trite. But maybe that's just me.

.Clash fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 28, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Playing G-Senjou no Maou since its one of the few regularly talked about ones here that I haven't yet. Which route is the "true" one, so I can save it for last?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blhue posted:

Playing G-Senjou no Maou since its one of the few regularly talked about ones here that I haven't yet. Which route is the "true" one, so I can save it for last?

Haru's route is the main/true route. The other routes split off from it during the character specific chapters (there's usually a pretty obvious single choice that will cause the split). I'm pretty sure all three of the side routes have a "are you really sure?" style choice right after you make the first choice to get onto them.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Blhue posted:

The way the routes work in it is that the side routes split off of the main route, (sort of like Steins;Gate if you played that) and for the most part the choices that lead into the side routes are pretty obvious.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That's what I figured since she actually gets named in the summaries of the game's plot, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Edit: Kind of surprised by how half-assed the voice work is in this; I don't remember other games by Akabei Soft being this bad. And those were made earlier than this.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 28, 2013

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

I'm pretty sure all three of the side routes have a "are you really sure?" style choice right after you make the first choice to get onto them.

The first two side routes are like this, but the third one is much easier to miss. To get onto that side route, when faced with a crisis you need to do the sensible, boring thing: Call the police.

That said, I never bothered with the side routes. As far as I can tell they add very little.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Dysfunctional Systems is pretty good. It's definitely worth 5 bucks, if they're still selling it for that on Steam.

They are and it is. Holy poo poo this game is pretty balls to the wall. The only shame is that the game is criminally short.
I like the music and the artstyle. Something about the blend of the two is really appealing, especially when blended with the sterile, minimalistic UI.

Seriously guys get this. It costs less than an SA account :v:

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Blhue posted:

Unless you're really hard up for reading material, this isn't really what you want to do. It's better to just play the True Ending and then shelf the game. The side-routes are so widely inconsistent in tone and plot elements that they probably end up breaking down the game as a whole rather than adding to it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Basically, if you wind up doing the Haru ending first (which is what I would honestly recommend), don't even bother with the side routes as they will feel like a waste of time.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The characters from the side routes are pretty much vehicles to further Kyousuke and Haru's characters as well as the plot. This becomes really obvious in their routes when the plot drops completely into generic drama plotlines. Don't bother with them and focus on the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I started reading Kira Kira. I know from its reputation that it will do its best to break me later on. Right now, however...

...I think it'll all be worth it.

• Locked thread