Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Quick update on Lola - she's happy as a clam now that I've given her free run of the office. She's losing weight, she'll snuggle and hang out with me, she's just so much happier - it's like she's a different rabbit. I'm glad I decided to keep her!

But, we're having a little problem. She's still digging up carpet every now and then. She's only done it twice in the past month, but any amount of carpet digging is really difficult to deal with. How can I get her to stop?

She has two big kitty litter boxes in the room that she loves to dig in, but I guess that's not enough?

Background info: She always targets corners. I was able to totally prevent her chewing on doors/baseboards by applying bar soap, but that hasn't worked for the carpet. I haven't tried anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

Quick update on Lola - she's happy as a clam now that I've given her free run of the office. She's losing weight, she'll snuggle and hang out with me, she's just so much happier - it's like she's a different rabbit. I'm glad I decided to keep her!

But, we're having a little problem. She's still digging up carpet every now and then. She's only done it twice in the past month, but any amount of carpet digging is really difficult to deal with. How can I get her to stop?

She has two big kitty litter boxes in the room that she loves to dig in, but I guess that's not enough?

Background info: She always targets corners. I was able to totally prevent her chewing on doors/baseboards by applying bar soap, but that hasn't worked for the carpet. I haven't tried anything else.

Rabbits are genetically primed to dig in corners to expand their warren. So put something in the corners you don't mind them digging like cardboard?

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Rabbits are genetically primed to dig in corners to expand their warren. So put something in the corners you don't mind them digging like cardboard?

Yeah, that works. I could get some more corrugated cat scratchers, she loves digging in those!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Charlie jumped onto the coffee table and stole a bottle of BBQ sauce. By stole, I mean knocked it off and rolled it into a corner to hide it. Then, over the next day or two, he chewed off the lid and feasted on BBQ sauce. I discovered this by standing up from my computer and he made a guilty sprint across the apartment.

"What the hell, bunny, you're allowed in that corner, why are you acting so guilty? Oh god what have you done"

His breath also smelt like dried BBQ sauce until I gave him a couple of big mint leaves.

:rabbits:

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Double post update, Charlie also just loving cannot stand two jenga blocks on top of each other. His relentless pursuit of making sure they are in a different spot to where I put them is amazingly adorable, he'll just rampage through them and push them over with his face then shove them around on the ground. Highly recommended.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
My old foster and now my latest rabbit in the house collection has decided that the tiny tiny crawlspace between my bed and the wall is the best god damned thing ever and she will try her damnedest to get inside of it. It really is smaller than her, but she must find something super fun in there.

However, the only good thing from the situation is when I hear her clanking against the wire cage things I put in the way to block her off and shoo her away, she gets all pouty, hops away into the middle of my floor, and then lays down in a super big slow exaggerated display of WELL FINE. To stare at me, with those big grumpy eyes. It is heart melting.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lobsterboy posted:

My old foster and now my latest rabbit in the house collection has decided that the tiny tiny crawlspace between my bed and the wall is the best god damned thing ever and she will try her damnedest to get inside of it. It really is smaller than her, but she must find something super fun in there.

However, the only good thing from the situation is when I hear her clanking against the wire cage things I put in the way to block her off and shoo her away, she gets all pouty, hops away into the middle of my floor, and then lays down in a super big slow exaggerated display of WELL FINE. To stare at me, with those big grumpy eyes. It is heart melting.

This is normal. Ours think the very best thing ever is behind their cage squashed up against the wall. Any time they come out they immediately go smash themselves in there and sit, squished and happy.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Man, I haven't been in this thread in ages, I've still got my pair of buns, they're even bonded now. The reason I came looking for the thread was to ask if anyone knows of any sort of subscription service for house rabbits. I've seen them for cats and dogs, where you pay however much a month and they send you an assortment of toys and treats for your little pals to try out.

If I can't find something like this I may just start one myself, my rabbits are picky and there aren't a lot of places locally to find stuff for buns, I imagine it's much the same in a lot of places. If anyone knows of one, drop a link. If not, I guess how much interest in something like this do you think there would be?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thank goodness for modern technology.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Aaa, they're so pretty, but how do you tell them apart?

Abe Frohman posted:

Man, I haven't been in this thread in ages, I've still got my pair of buns, they're even bonded now. The reason I came looking for the thread was to ask if anyone knows of any sort of subscription service for house rabbits. I've seen them for cats and dogs, where you pay however much a month and they send you an assortment of toys and treats for your little pals to try out.

If I can't find something like this I may just start one myself, my rabbits are picky and there aren't a lot of places locally to find stuff for buns, I imagine it's much the same in a lot of places. If anyone knows of one, drop a link. If not, I guess how much interest in something like this do you think there would be?

Generally speaking I don't want to give them anything that I didn't pick out myself. Dog toys and cat toys might have a certain level of quality control but rabbit toys most certainly do not. There's so many bad things out there like toys made out of easily edible plastic, held together with glue, treats containing corn/dairy and what have you.

Then again maybe if the toys were picked out/made by somebody who actually has rabbits and knows what they like, it might be different. And if I had money. Or lived in the US.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet's favourite toy, other than my foot, is a toilet paper roll stuffed with hay.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Aaa, they're so pretty, but how do you tell them apart?
One has a white dot at the front of her ear. Other than that, its very hard! They have different personalities sometimes, but its hard to tell which is stuffing her face at a particular moment.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet's favourite toy, other than my foot, is a toilet paper roll stuffed with hay.

That is an amazing toy for both rabbit and human. The moving target of the toilet paper roll is excellent to watch.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Then again maybe if the toys were picked out/made by somebody who actually has rabbits and knows what they like, it might be different. And if I had money. Or lived in the US.

Yeah, this has been my biggest problem, I've found a few things here and there, but they're just generally treats and toys that aren't really suitable for buns. Toilet paper tubes are awesome, but I sure wouldn't mind getting my guys some extra options, I buy stuff online to try out with them and have some winners, but a subscription service would be really cool if it wasn't just a bunch of unsuitable junk tossed in a box.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Toilet paper rolls you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3r8YDj3pk

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I feel like I deserve an engineering degree from MIT for all the work I've put into designing structures to keep Chompsky out from underneath my couch.

Cuteness edit: This morning I let her out of her cage, and she started hopping around the apartment like she normally does. I went to put some food in her dish, and she started running around stupidly excited. After I put it in her dish, she raced into her cage, sat in her litter box, then ran out again and ran around a bit more, and went back into her cage and her litter box. Finally I tapped on her food dish, and she looked at it before bolting over and stuffing her face.

Silly rabbit got so excited that she couldn't find where I put her food.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 21, 2013

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So Pepper's back from her annual exam. The vet isn't happy about the scabbing on her back feet, and isn't totally sure what could be causing it because I trim her nails and Pepper is on carpet 100% of the time.

Her suggestions were to watch Pepper hop, to see if Pepper's hitting on the balls of her feet. I promised I'd watch, but I feel like she hops on her very tippy toes. She also figured she'd xray Pepper while she was doing a tooth trim, since she'd be unconscious anyway.

Does anyone have any other ideas I could bring up? Pepper's 4, the vet thinks it's a little early to think about arthritis. Since you'll ask, Pepper eats and shits like a champ.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Noticed that my Ellie managed to break one of her dew-claws at some stage when i was trimming the rest of them.

It was only broken about halfway down and it wasn't bothering her so i just trimmed the end of it to make it a bit neater. Not sure how it happen really.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Chill bun is chill.

Edit: note to self, clean bunny's room soon.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 22, 2013

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
What a lovely chillbunny.

I wish Mr Bun wouldn't sleep like this, it's really alarming.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Just trimmed chompsky's nails for the first time. Was a piece of cake. She seems kinda pissed right now, but she was fine while I did it. Her previous owner was going to come over this week to help me with it. She made it sound like a total nightmare.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

I've never had an issue with trimming nails, we do it for a bunch of people. I think it's more difficult for people that try to use kid gloves when they're doing it. Then you end up with a squirming little beast that keeps flipping back over on it's feet and trying to bolt.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Silverfish posted:

I wish Mr Bun wouldn't sleep like this, it's really alarming.

He is a super cutie!

Bun people: thoughts on pet insurance?

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Here's my housemate's giant lop Rupert cleaning his ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtVYlK3HxLA

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I could watch bunnies groom themselves all day :3:

Also I need a giant lop.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Abe Frohman posted:

Yeah, this has been my biggest problem, I've found a few things here and there, but they're just generally treats and toys that aren't really suitable for buns. Toilet paper tubes are awesome, but I sure wouldn't mind getting my guys some extra options, I buy stuff online to try out with them and have some winners, but a subscription service would be really cool if it wasn't just a bunch of unsuitable junk tossed in a box.

Oh hey just came across this: http://www.thebunnybundle.com/

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Oh cool, I'll have to get in touch with them and see what sort of stuff they offer. At least it seems to be born of the same problem I'm having, so with luck they'll be sending out suitable bun stuff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That is 8 days old. Which of you started this site?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Ha I just reposted a thing from my facebook feed.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
That giant lop grooming itself reminds me of Paterson :3:

I'm excited to transition from bunny to Boston Terrier, friends :)

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
So I want to get chompsky a larger cage. I was thinking of getting some nic cages, but I'm wondering if you have any other recommendations, or if any of you know what's a good place to get nic cubes cheap.

To add some cuteness to this post, Chompsky loves to run up and down the stairs in my apartment each morning. She always seems way more energetic in the morning than she does in the afternoon, which is a bummer because I have much more time to play with her after I get home from work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

That giant lop grooming itself reminds me of Paterson :3:

I'm excited to transition from bunny to Boston Terrier, friends :)

This is for you Luscious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owHaf9c0kk

This is how dumb your dog will be. (half my friends have Bostons as well as my little brother).

monsieur fatso posted:

So I want to get chompsky a larger cage. I was thinking of getting some nic cages, but I'm wondering if you have any other recommendations, or if any of you know what's a good place to get nic cubes cheap.

To add some cuteness to this post, Chompsky loves to run up and down the stairs in my apartment each morning. She always seems way more energetic in the morning than she does in the afternoon, which is a bummer because I have much more time to play with her after I get home from work.

That's because most buns are crepuscular, in the day they hide and rest at night they sleep. They are most active dawn and dusk as its safest from predators.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am away from home for a month so I have been getting daily Bun pics to sedate me until I return. Today I must gently caress up attaching a photo and of course I cannot remove it. So enjoy an extra sideways shot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 26, 2013

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

monsieur fatso posted:

Walmart.com still has them, but I prefer just using a dog x-pen these days. Easier to move, clean, etc.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is for you Luscious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owHaf9c0kk

This is how dumb your dog will be. (half my friends have Bostons as well as my little brother).

It just seems like Paterson but active. Remember that Paterson would like, sit in his water dish. I'm still not sure if he was super smart or super stupid.... jury is still out on him. Due to my history with retarded animals I'm naming my dog Sherlock hoping that he will be smart.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

luscious posted:

It just seems like Paterson but active. Remember that Paterson would like, sit in his water dish. I'm still not sure if he was super smart or super stupid.... jury is still out on him. Due to my history with retarded animals I'm naming my dog Sherlock hoping that he will be smart.

If your dog is normal, he'll be as smart as he is stupid. It's certainly a thing.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

monsieur fatso posted:

I always use the walmart website like previously mentioned, shipping costs are pretty steep but you can just use the Site to Store option and pick them up at walmart assuming you have one close by. Besides making a cage, they're also really handy for other rabbitproofing projects around the house.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
More bunny footage. Last night I was in bed with a chocolate bar because I was having a lovely evening. The rustling attracted one of my room mates. Sorry for portrait view. My phone is a potato and there's no way to record landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siiU9tHWeO4

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Operation Juicebox posted:

More bunny footage. Last night I was in bed with a chocolate bar because I was having a lovely evening. The rustling attracted one of my room mates. Sorry for portrait view. My phone is a potato and there's no way to record landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siiU9tHWeO4

Thats adorable. Also explains why my bunny tried to eat my book. :argh:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Lobsterboy posted:

Thats adorable. Also explains why my bunny tried to eat my book. :argh:

Yeah, mine decided that interdisciplinary studies are more delicious than thermodynamics. Can't say I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's because most buns are crepuscular, in the day they sit and stare at you and at night they beg for attention the second you get up to go for a piss. They are most active dawn and dusk as its safest from predators.

Fixed for my rabbit.

Juppo is stupid active today, it's adorable. She ran straight up to the end of her run when she saw me and started jumping around on top of her terracotta hidey hole to get strawberries/leaves/anything else remotely edible. I love her little white tummy, gonna miss her when I move. New place has a fully walled in concreted garden so whilst she'll be able to eventually have safe run of the place when I'm there, it needs working on first so she'll be staying with my parents for a while yet :( Fortunately dad loves her, found him feeding her the other day and going 'hello little snugglebun' :3:

Also she's totally gonna be an indoor bunny again during the day when I move. Really miss having her sat next to me while I'm watching TV or playing PS3, just didn't really have a say here as it's my parents' house, they've spent a shitload of money on it, and Juppo eats everything. I mentioned the fact that my mother used to have two chinchillas which definitely were not litter trained but noooo. Still they've done everything else they can to accommodate her so I can't complain

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 28, 2013