Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GTA V has made me want to give Sleeping Dogs another playthrough fairly soon. Both great games and different enough to each other to have their own niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Nerolus posted:

I guess I stumbled into some alternate gooniverse where GTA:IV sucked poo poo and the sales and reviews meant nothing at all.

Yeah, you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Aurain posted:

GTA V has made me want to give Sleeping Dogs another playthrough fairly soon. Both great games and different enough to each other to have their own niche.

The melee system of sleeping dogs was the solid gameplay component that made it different and enjoyable for me, the rest of the GTA-esque mechanics were kind of middling, but not at all bad enough to distract me from the fun parts. It also has that awesome Hong Kong cinema feel and setting going for it, which is doubly great if you're into that type of movie.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

If I remember correctly, you have to either donate $10 000 to their website or order the robes in order to trigger the mission.

I have donated 25k and the robes are unavailable. The mission is meant to pop up on his map but refuses to and there is no way to force it to happen apparently. I even went back and restole all 5 cars to see if I had missed one or it hadn't saved or something.

Hobo Clown posted:

How far are you in the story? There's a few missions towards the middle where Michael and Trevor are hiding out in the desert, and since they aren't really supposed to be in Los Santos none of their stranger missions in that area are available.

I've finished the story and most every other mission, its one of the last things I need other than the collectables and it just won't move on :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Friendly Fire posted:

GTA 5 on the other hand is awesome, car swallowing garages notwithstanding.

When are they going to do something about that anyway? That should have been fixed about a week ago, I'd consider car ownership a core part of the game.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Has anyone found a way to increase top speed of vehicles? The LS Custom seems to give all boosts to acceleration (and a little bit to brakes), but I can't recall any substantial increase to top speed via engine, transmission or turbo.

In my experience most of them become redundant once you buy turbo, as it fills the acceleration meter.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

GhostDog posted:

When are they going to do something about that anyway? That should have been fixed about a week ago, I'd consider car ownership a core part of the game.
I think they might wait until Online has been released and push it through with that, at least I hope so.

Bohemian Nights posted:

The melee system of sleeping dogs was the solid gameplay component that made it different and enjoyable for me, the rest of the GTA-esque mechanics were kind of middling, but not at all bad enough to distract me from the fun parts. It also has that awesome Hong Kong cinema feel and setting going for it, which is doubly great if you're into that type of movie.

Shooting from cars worked really well too, and riding bikes was more fun than any other open world game I've played.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

GhostDog posted:

As I understand the patching process on this generation of console, even if they'd have the patch ready to go, there's no guarantee it'll pass as quickly through, say, Microsofts approval process, and I wouldn't be surprised if we'll spend more time waiting for that than on rockstar.

But hey, at least it's free now. A year ago, patching a game on the 360 would cost the developer a solid 5 figure sum.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Nerolus posted:

I guess I stumbled into some alternate gooniverse where GTA:IV sucked poo poo and the sales and reviews meant nothing at all.

People poo poo on GTA4 all the time. I can't believe this is the first you've seen of it. And I agree with them. One of only two games I've ever gone to a midnight launch for, and what an unbelievably boring experience it turned out to be. Some of the most uninspired and repetitive missions the genre has ever seen, stocked with almost exclusively unlikable and uninteresting characters, set in an open world with very few fun things to do.

Sales and reviews really do mean little to nothing, yeah. For a great example, look no further than the recently released Rome 2, which I picked up earlier this month. Crazy preorder numbers, great sales, fantastic reviews, one of the most blatantly and overwhelmingly broken as gently caress games I have ever had the displeasure of playing.

GTA5 is mostly pretty cool though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It sure is taking Rockstar loving ages to release the android apps or fix the major game glitches. I'm hoping they release them all along side Online, just in time for the single player to become irrelevant. If the two week wait for a loving app is any indication we will be planning online heist by the middle of next year at the earliest. My guess is Rockstar wanted more time to finish the game but Take Two pushed for it's release before the end of the console cycle. Honestly it feels like the original delay could've benefited from being a year.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nerolus posted:

Sales and reviews meant nothing at all.

This is generally true though. Awful movies regularly get 5 stars, 2 thumbs up and god knows what else. Horrible music sells millions of albums the first day and nets all kinds of awards. The same old games get instant 9's and 10's solely because they slapped X name on the box and because the studios sent some "friendly gifts" to the writers.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Goodpart posted:

Is there some kind of algorithm/seed that determines what cars will spawn at any given moment? I was on the lookout for a Sentinel XS two days ago and found nothing but regular Sentinels for a good 2-3 hours. Yesterday I loaded the game and found that not only was the entire area around Michael's place littered with Sentinels, but about half of them were XSs. Today, I load up the game, no Sentinels at all, but now everyone drives either a Coquette or a Bullet. The gently caress?

All I want is an Ubermacht Zion. I have never, ever seen one in-game. But I know they're supposedly near Michael's house/the golf course. I like to think that one day I will load up the game and the streets will be littered with them. The search continues. :(
Further to this.

I just fired up the console again, and a car I'd never seen before, the Benefactor Schwartzer (Mercedes clone) pops up all over Rockford Hills. Sentinels are nonexistent. Buffalos are the new Coquettes, and Ocelot F620s are the new Bullets. They're loving everywhere. I'm thinking of a) reloading saved games or b) restarting the console over and over to see if I can get different seeds on cars, so that I can kinda "game" it into giving me what I want. Though I'm thoroughly confused as to why they're only giving me small portions of cars in great numbers rather than just making some makes/models super rare, whilst having all of them available?

Don't bother with the Schwartzer, by the way. It handles like an absolute dog.

Also, Pisswasser's up past 5.00 on Xbox. :toot:

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 28, 2013

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Put all my money into Piswasser at like $2 yesterday, it's up to $4.17 today on PS3 :smugdog:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

It sure is taking Rockstar loving ages to release the android apps or fix the major game glitches. I'm hoping they release them all along side Online, just in time for the single player to become irrelevant. If the two week wait for a loving app is any indication we will be planning online heist by the middle of next year at the earliest. My guess is Rockstar wanted more time to finish the game but Take Two pushed for it's release before the end of the console cycle. Honestly it feels like the original delay could've benefited from being a year.

I said exactly that to a friend in real life yesterday, it's pretty clear that the end game of this thing is rushed and was pushed out earlier than it ideally ought to have been and GTA Online's 2 week delay is probably a result of that as well despite R* saying it could have been ready for launch and they chose to delay it.

And just so that what I said can't be misconstrued in the typical internet fashion, it's not that GTA V is an unfinished mess of a game and awful, because it's not. It's just that the end of the story and its missions are rushed and it has some pretty bad bugs that should have been nailed. They've even gone on record as saying that you should expect lock ups and crashes on GTA Online too.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bohemian Nights posted:

As I understand the patching process on this generation of console, even if they'd have the patch ready to go, there's no guarantee it'll pass as quickly through, say, Microsofts approval process, and I wouldn't be surprised if we'll spend more time waiting for that than on rockstar.

I've been playing so much PC the last year and got so used to games updating all the time (especially Early Access stuff) I completely forgot that a cert process existed :stare:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Trevor and Wade in a strip club :allears:

"Do any of you ladies like wearing clown face? :buddy:"

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Goodpart posted:

Is there some kind of algorithm/seed that determines what cars will spawn at any given moment? I was on the lookout for a Sentinel XS two days ago and found nothing but regular Sentinels for a good 2-3 hours. Yesterday I loaded the game and found that not only was the entire area around Michael's place littered with Sentinels, but about half of them were XSs. Today, I load up the game, no Sentinels at all, but now everyone drives either a Coquette or a Bullet. The gently caress?

All I want is an Ubermacht Zion. I have never, ever seen one in-game. But I know they're supposedly near Michael's house/the golf course. I like to think that one day I will load up the game and the streets will be littered with them. The search continues. :(

You can buy a Zion from your phone.

That information will cost you a dang Sultan RS :mad:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, the car spawning can really gently caress up sometimes. I already had to reload twice because of it, once it only spawned tow trucks but very very few of them so basically the roads were all empty. That was fun for about five minutes though.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
R* have done so much right with GTAV, but there are a niggling few things that are in some cases just baffling as to why they we're kept in. No one, no one, finds mashing a button to run anything other than a tedious chore, why oh why R* did you keep this stupid mechanic?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

MZ posted:

R* have done so much right with GTAV, but there are a niggling few things that are in some cases just baffling as to why they we're kept in. No one, no one, finds mashing a button to run anything other than a tedious chore, why oh why R* did you keep this stupid mechanic?

I actually love mashing while you have a weapon up. It feels really, really good. It just sucks all the other times. At least you can hold it for slow run, you couldn't even do that in IV iirc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MZ posted:

I actually quite like it because it's one of those old school GTA mechanics. I like how it gives you a choice between walking, jogging and sprinting by not pressing, holding or tapping it.

I probably wouldn't like it as much without the nostalgia of doing it all the time in GTA 3 when I first got a PS2 though.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Cute as heck posted:

[timg]

There is no Sultan RS anymore, but you can mod the regular Sultan into looking like one (save for the exhaust and turning it into a 2 door).

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Cute as heck posted:

You can buy a Zion from your phone.

I know, but you can't get the cabrio version. Only hardtop. Also the one you get from the site is a Zion XS, which is quite nice!

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Sapient Afro posted:

There is no Sultan RS anymore, but you can mod the regular Sultan into looking like one (save for the exhaust and turning it into a 2 door).

Where the heck are they!?

Also wherever they are, that search is on hold. I just found out that if you are unarmed in your car, and you press the shoot button, you shoot people the bird.
I'll be driving slowly next to sidewalks just motherfucking everyone for the next hour.

A homeless man ran across the street because he was angry I was giving him the finger and he got hit by a car, I think I'm done giving people the finger for now. :stonk:

Cute as heck fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 28, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So what's the most valuable moneycase you can find in the ocean?
You have the $12000 one in this video but most maps and guides at the moment are pretty loving untrustworthy, like this map here.
It takes long enough to get loving anywhere by boat in this. I found the best way is to get the scuba gear from the dingy at the docks, drive to the beach, then dive in the water to equip the gear and try to steal a jetski. Everything else is so bloody slow cause of the choppy water.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
So if my garage is full is there anything else I can do to store/save cars? I'm using the impound as a cache at the moment but I expect the garage fairy to eat them at some point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People who are having garages eat cars: do you experience this with the four car garages or only the ones at the safehouses?

I haven’t lost a car in the big garages yet, but the safehouse garages dont’ even pretend to be persistent. I don’t think I’ve ever left a car in one of them and found it there when I returned after doing a mission.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Don't do the sub part collection. I want that 2 hours of my life back. :gonk:

aliasedman
Aug 14, 2011

The bad car populating is a result of the pitiful console memory, obviously. I haven't done scientific tests or anything, but the game spawns a few models for each class of vehicle, based on the area you're in.

If you're looking for a specific car, I had limited success character switching out, filling up the cache with other cars then switching back. Still spent like 2 hours trying to get their Crown Vic replica to show up, though. Also, drive like an SUV when looking for a car since it won't take up a "car" slot. That seemed to help.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's the trick to passing the knife edge part of flight school? I've maintained the maneuver for 3+ minutes and the mission won't end.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the trick to passing the knife edge part of flight school? I've maintained the maneuver for 3+ minutes and the mission won't end.

You gotta level the plane out to normal, the instructor doesn't tell you (every time I do it)

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I didn't mind it because it was scenic enough and I hadn't done any scuba diving before, but the complete lack of any reward kinda soured it for me. I killed the woman after, is anything different if I let her live?

Also, apparently wearing scuba gear with cult pajamas doesn't count toward the cumulative ten days for that dumb mission. And I guess even though it says "cumulative" the counter starts over if you switch to another character and Michael changes clothes, or I've just hit some weird bug. Pretty much the only way to beat that mission is to sit at your home and spam the "save game" button, which is weird and not-fun.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Knuc If U Buck posted:

While it gives you money per pickup, the same goes for the nuclear waste, really. It wouldn't be so horrible if you could transport the sub around quicker, like using the cargobob to lift it like you do in the mission. However, as it currently stands, the sub will passionately attach itself to the bottom of your helicopter, sending the both of you tumbling into the watery depths whether you like it or not. If you're lucky, that is. Chances are the sub will just explode upon attaching, taking the chopper with it.

It's nice having a reason to go underwater, though, if I should ever feel like it.

E; On the plus side, it's very easy to forgive the cargobob once you realize that you can pick up moving cars with people in them, and proceed to drop them from a great altitude.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 28, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

I didn't mind it because it was scenic enough and I hadn't done any scuba diving before, but the complete lack of any reward kinda soured it for me. I killed the woman after, is anything different if I let her live?

Also, apparently wearing scuba gear with cult pajamas doesn't count toward the cumulative ten days for that dumb mission. And I guess even though it says "cumulative" the counter starts over if you switch to another character and Michael changes clothes, or I've just hit some weird bug. Pretty much the only way to beat that mission is to sit at your home and spam the "save game" button, which is weird and not-fun.

I believe I read that health insurance stocks fly up after you finish that. I haven't done it so can't confirm, but if they do, that's your reward I suppose. Invest in them and then boom.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
When do you get the sporting goods store?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

When do you get the sporting goods store?

Do you mean the limited selection of hunting attire you can find at ammu-nation? Otherwise, there's not really anything of the sort. If you're thinking of attire, there's only bincos/discount stores, suburban and poisonbys.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How many GTA:O iterations until I can make Midnight Club-like checkpoint races?

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Can Mike and Frank buy hangars? If so, how?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

The international airport will have separate hangars for both mike and frank. You buy them at the sign next to the flight school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Drive up to the $house sign by the entrance, once you've finished Trevor's return to LS in the storyline. 1.4 million ish each, if you want to fool around and own large vehicles, planes I think it's worth it on both. More importantly this way you can go anywhere on the airport without getting everything but the army coming after you.

• Locked thread