Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does it matter much if the episodes and seasons of Louie are watched out of sequence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Doesn't really matter. Most are stand alones, hell they change actors for same characters all the time.

Love his Ex is black in season3

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 28, 2013

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Hell, some episodes directly contradict others plot or canon wise. The only constants are he's a loser who's a comedian, divorced, and has two girls.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Louie is one of the most significant shows being made right now. Maybe not "best" or most entertaining, but it's actually doing new things with the medium and will have staying power. Lots of bigger shows and critics' faves--including ones I really enjoy--don't matter. They add competent writing to well-used budgets and go by the HBO formula. You know, percentages of boobs, guns, and scenery as your censors allow. Along with a couple other things. I love Boardwalk Empire, but it doesn't have any value. Louie does.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I think Louie and Breaking Bad are the two most significant TV shows currently ongoing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I think Louie and Breaking Bad are the two most significant TV shows currently ongoing.

I'd include Mad Men in that list, as Mad Men and Louie are probably the two most auteur-driven shows on television.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The X-Files just gave me the bends, season 7 has one of the best episodes followed by one of the worst. X-Cops is pretty amazing, a camera crew from COPS follows Mulder and Scully around, and if X-Files episodes counted as movies, this would be one of the best (and funniest) found footage movies ever made.

Then the very next episode is First Person Shooter.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The X-Files just gave me the bends, season 7 has one of the best episodes followed by one of the worst. X-Cops is pretty amazing, a camera crew from COPS follows Mulder and Scully around, and if X-Files episodes counted as movies, this would be one of the best (and funniest) found footage movies ever made.

No, First Person Shooter never happened. It was dream, a nightmare. Please, tell me this is true. It's what I want to believe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since it's about to get to October and all, I've been wanting to watch some horror movies. Are there any Hammer films on Netflix, and if so, which Dracula ones should I watch? I haven't seen any of them yet.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The thing about Louie that you need to understand going into it is that it's not just a comedy. If you want to laugh at Louis C.K., you should watch his standup. But if you want a glimpse into how his mind works, distilled through an amazing supporting cast and fantastic camerawork, you watch Louie.

Just like anyone else, Louie's mind isn't filled with sunshine and roses. It has dark recesses. Bad things happen. But that doesn't take away from the joy and the happiness. In Season 3 there's an episode where he goes to Miami and he falls in love with a man there. Of course it's not going to go anywhere, and of course it can't work, but he genuinely enjoys every moment he spends with this guy and his Hispanic family. Watching him clown around and just be happy seriously warmed my heart more than most things I've watched, and that's why the show is so great. It makes you feel things you'd never expect to feel while sitting down and watching a show made by Louis C.K..

Conversely, the episodes with Liz in season 3 show Louie being happy... and then that's all taken away. It gets dark. It gets sad. It gets incredibly emotional. And he handles the darkness just as well as the happiness, because he takes it seriously.

That's not to say it's not completely hilarious at moments, though. The Christmas presents scene from New Years is the hardest I've laughed at some of his material ever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RBA Starblade posted:

Since it's about to get to October and all, I've been wanting to watch some horror movies. Are there any Hammer films on Netflix, and if so, which Dracula ones should I watch? I haven't seen any of them yet.

I don't see any of Christopher Lee's Dracula movies on there. That said, it's possible some will get put up in October. I don't see any Hammer Horror on there at all. It's a shame. Their Dracula flicks are a guilty pleasure of mine.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

The thing about Louie that you need to understand going into it is that it's not just a comedy. If you want to laugh at Louis C.K., you should watch his standup. But if you want a glimpse into how his mind works, distilled through an amazing supporting cast and fantastic camerawork, you watch Louie.

Just like anyone else, Louie's mind isn't filled with sunshine and roses. It has dark recesses. Bad things happen. But that doesn't take away from the joy and the happiness. In Season 3 there's an episode where he goes to Miami and he falls in love with a man there. Of course it's not going to go anywhere, and of course it can't work, but he genuinely enjoys every moment he spends with this guy and his Hispanic family. Watching him clown around and just be happy seriously warmed my heart more than most things I've watched, and that's why the show is so great. It makes you feel things you'd never expect to feel while sitting down and watching a show made by Louis C.K..

Conversely, the episodes with Liz in season 3 show Louie being happy... and then that's all taken away. It gets dark. It gets sad. It gets incredibly emotional. And he handles the darkness just as well as the happiness, because he takes it seriously.

That's not to say it's not completely hilarious at moments, though. The Christmas presents scene from New Years is the hardest I've laughed at some of his material ever.

I totally get that it's not strictly a comedy. It has some pretty great episodes that are both funny, dark, and sad and uncomfortable. That said there have been more episodes that left me bored. I'll give season 3 a shot with an open mind but I just don't seem to be as wowed by the show as everyone else. I do see the bright spots of the show and how different it is but I think that might be it's biggest weakness at times.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I totally get that it's not strictly a comedy. It has some pretty great episodes that are both funny, dark, and sad and uncomfortable. That said there have been more episodes that left me bored. I'll give season 3 a shot with an open mind but I just don't seem to be as wowed by the show as everyone else. I do see the bright spots of the show and how different it is but I think that might be it's biggest weakness at times.

You need to watch the entirety of season 3 if you really want to give it a shot. That season matures into something incredible.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh man I'm halfway through the Late Show arc and it's really a gut punch.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Haha, literally as it turns out.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm currently watching The Possession, which wants us to know that dybbuk possessions can be seen with MRI. But, hey, I've seen worse. It was either this or Apollo 18.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I agree with the sentiment that Louie is a great show but as I go through it, it becomes harder and harder to get myself to watch it. It's just such a pile of awkward misery. Like the last comedy I had trouble with sometimes was The Thick of It, but that was so brilliant and witty that I could get past the misery and at least watch one a week with my friends. It also helped there that the characters that were being put through the misery were kind of horrible people, even when you could relate to them. Louie is really good but it's just misery piled on misery. It's the part of all of us that we would rather not think about magnified. Some weeks I'd just rather pass for a little bit. It's not like I don't have other stuff to watch.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

mr.capps posted:

No, First Person Shooter never happened. It was dream, a nightmare. Please, tell me this is true. It's what I want to believe.
I have a theory someone on the X-Files staff obsessed with The Matrix dug the story idea out of William Gibson's garbage can, then somehow blackmailed him into having his name appear as writer of the episode :tinfoil:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Someone in the General Chat thread here in CineD posted this music video earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxpLiQgdTI0

Now I am in the mood for a film that is incredibly 80s, complete with neon and a bad rear end synth soundtrack. Obviously Drive is perfect and incredible, but I've seen it multiple times and would like to try something new. Any recommendations? The film does not need to be made in the 80s, I just want it to encapsulate that vibe.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm currently watching The Possession, which wants us to know that dybbuk possessions can be seen with MRI. But, hey, I've seen worse. It was either this or Apollo 18.

Why on earth would you limit yourself to those two films?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I have a theory someone on the X-Files staff obsessed with The Matrix dug the story idea out of William Gibson's garbage can, then somehow blackmailed him into having his name appear as writer of the episode :tinfoil:

I really want to know why these "Trapped in a video game" episodes happen all the time in otherwise decent TV shows...I can't think of a single time it's worked.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Whether or not First Person Shooter is intentionally terrible (it probably isn't, but the show was indulging in self-parody fairly often by that point), it is hilarious, and so I'll give it some credit.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Chichevache posted:

Someone in the General Chat thread here in CineD posted this music video earlier.

Now I am in the mood for a film that is incredibly 80s, complete with neon and a bad rear end synth soundtrack. Obviously Drive is perfect and incredible, but I've seen it multiple times and would like to try something new. Any recommendations? The film does not need to be made in the 80s, I just want it to encapsulate that vibe.

Miami Connection--it is a terrible movie but very 80's, just look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtyOwcQo-w

edit: More serious options would be anything by John Hughes like Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Those movies are basically the 80's in my mind.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 28, 2013

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
You could also watch some Miami Vice.

Edit: haha holy poo poo I went to Netflix to look up something and all my categories are completely wonky.

Pierat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 28, 2013

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Had *just* enough time to watch something before heading to the train station to pick someone up, and decided I'd choose from what popped up at first glance. At least this worked out better for me than when I was browsing and said, "Hey, Grave Encounters wasn't bad, maybe I'll check out the sequel."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Magnum PI is another '80s option. Hell, it ran almost throughout the entire '80s.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Pierat posted:

Edit: haha holy poo poo I went to Netflix to look up something and all my categories are completely wonky.

Documentaries: Men In Black

Sports Movies: The Road

Seems legit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Men In Black is the documentary THEY don't want you to see :tinfoil:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mod sassinator posted:

Miami Connection--it is a terrible movie but very 80's, just look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtyOwcQo-w

edit: More serious options would be anything by John Hughes like Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Those movies are basically the 80's in my mind.

Miami Connection definitely is 80s, but I was hoping for something more serious and a bit more stylish.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

Chichevache posted:

Miami Connection definitely is 80s, but I was hoping for something more serious and a bit more stylish.

Give Beyond the Black Rainbow a shot. I'm not sure if it's still up, but it's all 80's style and synth.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Pierat posted:

Admittedly Dredd IS my favorite Deadpan TV Comedy, and if fighting space nazis isn't a sport then I don't know what is!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
And putting the Truman Show in the documentary section is just a complete misunderstanding of the film and its plot.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Chichevache posted:

Thief, starring James Caan and directed by Michael Mann, is pretty much exactly what you want if you haven't seen it already.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Magic posted:

Thief, starring James Caan and directed by Michael Mann, is pretty much exactly what you want if you haven't seen it already.

Definitely what Captain Magic said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bu6D5RwYM

Also bonus Willie Nelson :v:

HatSmack fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 28, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mescal posted:

Louie is one of the most significant shows being made right now. Maybe not "best" or most entertaining, but it's actually doing new things with the medium and will have staying power. Lots of bigger shows and critics' faves--including ones I really enjoy--don't matter. They add competent writing to well-used budgets and go by the HBO formula. You know, percentages of boobs, guns, and scenery as your censors allow. Along with a couple other things. I love Boardwalk Empire, but it doesn't have any value. Louie does.

Wonderfully said.

Something I think a lot of people overlook about Louis is how much he has done. A comedian can be said to have had a great career if in all their time they have a couple solid one-hour specials while in the last number of years he has been doing them in annual succession, all while getting the show together and doing every conceivable job on that successful, award winning program. Emmys, Grammys, and so many other wins and nominations, the man himself has been doing something very significant in life and in the arts, and what the show conveys is less about creativity and more story telling, him allowing a raw, profound view into a mind firing on all cylinders as he cements his place in history. The man and the show are absolutely vital.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

He was on Stern and mentioned something pretty interesting about the show. He traded money for 100% creative control. He can do whatever he wants on the show. FX has zero creative input aside from Standards and Practices I guess. For that he doesn't get paid as much as he could otherwise.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Captain Magic posted:

HatSmack posted:

Definitely what Captain Magic said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bu6D5RwYM

Also bonus Willie Nelson :v:

You pricks! :sigh: My hopes were so high until I checked to see if it was available on Netflix.

It wasn't. I am adding it to my list though. Thanks for the recommendation.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009
Well poo poo, I know it used to be on there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah Thief was on there forever, unlike Manhunter which was on there for like 2 weeks or something ridiculously short.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Both of the William Gibson penned episodes are completely dire. That first episode by him where Mulder and Scully go around in awe of Mary Sue the legendary, sexy super hacker is almost as bad.

I'm working on season 8 myself at the moment but X-Files got so dire by this point that I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Yeah Thief was definitely on there. Good recommendation too.

• Locked thread