Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Methanar posted:

Its going to be a huge investment for me to actually do anything because its going to involve a 300km+ move.

You have to do it at some point unless you want to live in bumfuck, Canada for the rest of your life.

Go to college, learn, drink beer, meet girls, enjoy the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Maybe you'll find a real career. :guinness:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Despite not being that experienced myself, I too would recommend going to some form of college/university, preferably in a large city. That way, if a job comes along (Because you'll be able to network/explore getting into Networking/IT whilst studying for your degree), you'll have lived in the city for a while and it certainly won't be a huge jump into the unknown.

If you start to get dissatisfied with the lack of entry level jobs in your town, and try to move prematurely, it might be a bit of a blind move. It's great to see you're getting into IT now, though. I wish I was as interested your age.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Nthing the "go to college you fool" sentiment. I had plans to join the military right out of high school that never materialized, and managed to get a job doing printer break/fix with some computer hardware support mixed in in late 2004. Eight soul-sucking, thankless and (mostly) raise-less years later I was able to jump ship into a position supporting mission-critical servers with HP.

It's definitely possible to break into the IT field without a degree but the climb is a lot more difficult. In my recent job search I'm certain I had an abysmal <10% callback rate while applying to positions I was well qualified for simply because I didn't have a degree - during one interview session it came down to myself or a guy fresh out of college (they did an onsite abilities test that weeded out all but the two of us) and they ultimately took the guy with a degree and no real world experience.

If college is out of the question you could start studying for some of the easier to obtain certifications and take the tests on your own. Even some of the more difficult certs can be done outside of a classroom if you can afford to build your own lab.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 28, 2013

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini
I need the help of all you IT Pros out there. Given the thread I'm posting in, that should be most, if not all, of you. <insert shameless pandering and flattery here>

I'm having a debate with a colleague about SQL Server installations. He believes that it is rare for a computer, physical or virtual, to have more than one installation of SQL Server on it. Meaning, he doesn't expect to run across production servers with both SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012, or some other combination of versions. That such a setup is so rare that it is an edge case we shouldn't even bother considering.

I say that, although certainly not the majority of the time, this situation exists in production environments enough (20+%)to warrant taking it into consideration when designing the report.

What say you oh powerful and mighty IT Goons! :D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IamJacksAlcoholism posted:

I need the help of all you IT Pros out there. Given the thread I'm posting in, that should be most, if not all, of you. <insert shameless pandering and flattery here>

I'm having a debate with a colleague about SQL Server installations. He believes that it is rare for a computer, physical or virtual, to have more than one installation of SQL Server on it. Meaning, he doesn't expect to run across production servers with both SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012, or some other combination of versions. That such a setup is so rare that it is an edge case we shouldn't even bother considering.

I say that, although certainly not the majority of the time, this situation exists in production environments enough (20+%)to warrant taking it into consideration when designing the report.

You're missing some information here. What is this "report" that "he" is "designing"?

Sure, things like that happen, but I would consider them either edge cases or basically meaningless database sever installs. What kind of "real" DB sever is 1.) not redundant and 2.) able to share one or more of it's host's CPU, RAM, or disk I/O with ANYTHING else, never mind another DB instance.

Sure....dev, testing, staging. But not production.

So it comes down to....what are you trying to accomplish here?

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Motronic posted:

So it comes down to....what are you trying to accomplish here?

Uhh...to win?

Seriously though, it is just a report that looks through data collected from a network scan and returns the machines that have SQL installed on them. But I'm not looking for help with any of that, just looking to see what others have seen in the "real world" with regards to SQL installs.

Honestly, I was picturing small line of business applications that use SQL and haven't been updated since they were created so they still have to run on SQL Server 2005. If these LOB apps are barely using the resources of the machine they are on, then maybe a company ends up with a few of these on one box. Maybe some run on SQL Server 2008. Maybe not, that's why I'm asking :)

Edit: I know there are best practices and all, that's now what I'm looking for. I want to know what you've come across in real world environments, I know I've seen some stuff that makes me go :tizzy:

IamJacksAlcoholism fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 28, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Honestly, I was picturing small line of business applications that use SQL and haven't been updated since they were created so they still have to run on SQL Server 2005. If these LOB apps are barely using the resources of the machine they are on, then maybe a company ends up with a few of these on one box. Maybe some run on SQL Server 2008. Maybe not, that's why I'm asking :)

Yes, it definitely happens. But the reason I was asking is because it's a lovely thing you primarily find on single SBS server installs at places where they only get touched if they break (these will primarily be SQL express installs), or in dev/test/staging environments. If your tool needs to work those environments then it should be looking for this.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

I can't think of a single reason to run two different versions of SQL in the same OS, especially with the ease in which you can just spin up a second guest. If I came across a server which runs two different versions of SQL I would wonder what the gently caress the previous admin was thinking when they did that.

edit: I have been involved in 5 mergers with failed financial institutions in the past 4 years. These institutions were broke as hell, and none of them did anything like this.

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem

I commonly see boxes with multiple named SQL server instances e.g. SQLSVR\APP1, SQLSVR\APP2. I think I've seen 2005 and 2008 installed on the same box once.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

It's fairly uncommon since virtualization became mainstream, but it used to be really common to have a single server hosting multiple vendor applications where each application insisted on owning its own SQL Express instance. That aside, it's not something that people usually do on purpose, because SQL Server is tuned by default with the assumption that it's the only thing running on the system. If you want to run multiple instances, you need to tune buffer cache sizes and other knobs to keep the instances from stepping on each other, otherwise memory management becomes a trainwreck.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

My current job, however, is more like, "Backup Exec? Exchange? We don't use any of that stuff. Ever hear of RetroSpect or iMail?"

Is that IpSwitch iMail? How do you like that? We own MoveIt Central and DMZ, I love those products. Does it do single instancing?
We're on exchange 2010. It's pretty funny when someone blasts a 20mb file to 10000 people. Also trying to back up Exchange now is pretty hilarious too.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 28, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Methanar posted:

Unfortunately its probably not. Also I live in a lovely redneck town of about 20k people. There is nothing here. I don't even know where the nearest NOC, or manned node would be. At best there might be a few in the capital city (still population 100k)

Its going to be a huge investment for me to actually do anything because its going to involve a 300km+ move.

Do you have a local ISP, or have you talked to any teachers at where you plan to go to school for internships? If so and you have a government mandate for improved networking you may want to look into some ISP's usually they have some nice internships.

I'd focus on studying for a N+ or CCNET/CCNA and set a goal for getting it by graduation if possible, getting a cert will most likely get you an internship. Also check craigslist, you'd be surprised what people are looking for and if your town is really 'rednecky' chances are people are looking. Don't underestimate the size and need of the SMB market, might not be as pretty as a NOC but at this point you need experience to move your career forward.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 28, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Methanar posted:

I've done a few fixes involving routers where for some reason they weren't properly handling DHCP renewal requests so I just made a macyvery fix and forced the router to treat the connection as if it was a Static IP, even though it wasn't.

While I like your enthusiasm, you know that when the ISP changes that customer's IP, you fix is going to stop working, right?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Yeah I knew that, it was originally DHCP for a reason obviously.

But for some reason living out here in the tundra the local ISP will never ever use all the IPs assigned in their block so while it is a DHCP system it hasn't actually been changing in years. I knew that at the time too so whatever I decided it was mostly fixed. If the IP DID ever change it was easy as just changing the mode back over to DHCP and locking in the new IP as a static.

The router itself was really old model and was known to have problems with DHCP renewal. There was no updated firmware that fixed the issue so the only other option would have been to buy a completely new router.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 29, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
There's a chance that my friend might be getting me a really good full time job at his company. I'm currently a full time student in a program not directly related to IT. If they give me an offer of close to what my friend says they will, I plan on taking it and dropping my classes for the semester since they require immediate start.

should I:
-Re-enroll in spring in part time night classes and graduate around 2019 because my college only offers some classes once a year
-Do something like WGU

This place apparently has a good tuition/cert reimbursement plan, if that matters. Plus I still have 27 months of GI bill coverage left.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KetTarma posted:

There's a chance that my friend might be getting me a really good full time job at his company. I'm currently a full time student in a program not directly related to IT. If they give me an offer of close to what my friend says they will, I plan on taking it and dropping my classes for the semester since they require immediate start.

should I:
-Re-enroll in spring in part time night classes and graduate around 2019 because my college only offers some classes once a year
-Do something like WGU

This place apparently has a good tuition/cert reimbursement plan, if that matters. Plus I still have 27 months of GI bill coverage left.

I forget - can you freeze the GI bill, or does the clock keep ticking once you activate it? Because if it freezes, it may be worth hanging on to for grad school.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It freezes.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Well, if the report needs to collect if a server has multiple SQL installs, then yes design the report to account for that.
But no that situation should not exist in production. I've run in to it once when we took over a small company, their server was a mess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Is that IpSwitch iMail? How do you like that? Does it do single instancing?
Yes, ipswitch. I used it over 10 years ago when I worked at a small ISP. It's cheap and fast runs on a low-end machine compared to Exchange but you obviously don't get any of the features you need for a 250-person company.

But having everyone on pop3 email is a loving joke for various reasons. My boss is paranoid so he won't put the server on a public IP so we could then use IMAP and not have to have people's mail client forward their company emails to their personal accounts on their phone so we look like chucklefucks from 2001 when it comes to mobile email.

If we don't move to Exchange I'm going to tell him to eat a bag of dicks.

As far as single instancing, I don't know but probably not.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, ipswitch. I used it over 10 years ago when I worked at a small ISP. It's cheap and fast runs on a low-end machine compared to Exchange but you obviously don't get any of the features you need for a 250-person company.

But having everyone on pop3 email is a loving joke for various reasons. My boss is paranoid so he won't put the server on a public IP so we could then use IMAP and not have to have people's mail client forward their company emails to their personal accounts on their phone so we look like chucklefucks from 2001 when it comes to mobile email.

If we don't move to Exchange I'm going to tell him to eat a bag of dicks.

As far as single instancing, I don't know but probably not.
How is this place advancing your career right now?

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I am back in the job market and have not had any current certifications for over 4 years. My last were Apple OS and Hardware, as I was working for Apple at the time.

I am a bit behind on some of the latest Windows OS features and newest Apple OS but I still use both every day. It is worthwhile to get an updated A+ cert or Net+ at this time and does anyone bother with Microsoft certs anymore ( i.e. MCSE etc.)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Misogynist posted:

How is this place advancing your career right now?

It's not but I live in a tech wasteland in the rustbelt

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KetTarma posted:

should I:
-Do something like WGU

I just wanted to mention that WGU is getting some competition. I saw on a different forum that Nothern Arizona University and the University of Wisconsin are starting WGU like programs (competancy based, 6 month all you can handle terms, cheap tuition) but with the added benefit of not having to explain what WGU is. I'm almost done with WGU, I just have my capstone left to finish, and while it's not a bad program a good part of me wishes some of these programs from more traditional schools were around when I started a couple of years ago.

http://ecampus.wisconsin.edu/online-degree-programs/flex-option.aspx
http://pl.nau.edu/HowItWorks.aspx

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Anyone making plans for unpaid vacation this week? Would be nice if it couldn't be cut short any day.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Anyone making plans for unpaid vacation this week? Would be nice if it couldn't be cut short any day.

Times like these I'm glad I jumped back to the private sector. State government was bad enough. :(

Here's hoping your job gets classified as essential to life or national security!

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I just wanted to mention that WGU is getting some competition.

Good! I'm glad to finally see "traditional" institutions come around to this methodology. This style of education is perfect for personality types like mine that do better with the independent pace/competency approach.

quote:

I'm almost done with WGU

I'm in my last term with WGU as well. Good luck and congrats!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Have either of you had problems or heard of problems with employers not accepting the WGU degree?
What if I wanted to go for a MS degree afterwards?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Possible :yotj: - Applied for a "service desk analyst" position at a software development company with several offices. Asked for £22k, got a call the next morning! Going in for an interview.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Possible :toot: here too - the Sr. LAN Admin. job I applied for is interviewing this week, and I've been told that mine is one out of three resumes that got through.

:pray:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KetTarma posted:

Have either of you had problems or heard of problems with employers not accepting the WGU degree?

I haven't heard of any issues to be honest. I know some organizations are starting to put accreditation requirements in their job postings (State of Louisiana), but since the degree is fully accredited it's a non issue.

I've heard with good GRE scores getting a brick and mortar Masters or MBA isn't an issue either. I'm in Texas and technically part of WGU Texas, so I think that may make it easier if I wanted to get a masters from a state school. A&M just opened a campus in San Antonio not too long ago.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

KetTarma posted:

WGU "Main Campus" (which is virtual)is based out of Salt Lake City Utah. This is from their website:

quote:

Regionally Accredited
Western Governors University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, one of the major accrediting commissions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Regional accreditation is considered the highest form of accreditation given to institutions. The Northwest Commission is also responsible for the accreditation of other major institutions such as the University of Washington, University of Oregon, Gonzaga University, University of Utah, University of Idaho, and Brigham Young University, to name just a few.

They became a state school here in Washington as well, which took the legislature passing a bill, so I am technically a student of WGU Washington. Whether or not an employer will "accept" it as valid is up to the employer, but there really isn't any reason they shouldn't.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Possible :yotj:

Would leave being the "it" department and be a tier II support rep for VoIP at a tech company, increasing salary by about 50%!

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

The Third Man posted:

I need to update my resume in preparation for seeking a job in networking, and I'm wondering what is appropriate for me to put down as experience after I attained my CCNA, but do not have any real work experience in the field? I'm trying to move beyond basic helpdesk/faculty support at my university, so I got my CCNA to try and get my foot in the door, but now that it is time to get my resume out there, I'm not sure how to structure it. Is it fair for me to say I have experience/am familiar with with layer 2/3 protocols? How honest should I be without talking myself out of an interview?

I hate quoting myself, but I'm really stuck on this and could use some advice.

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 30, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Has anyone here worked for Amazon, by chance? I keep getting recruiters from Amazon Web Services calling me, and I think it might be interesting a few years down the line.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

The Third Man posted:

So you have no experience in IT but have your CCNA and you want to know how to word that? Under certifications you put CCNA, and list whatever experience you have in whatever jobs you did under experience. Employers will know you have familiarity with the terms since you have your CCNA, that's about the best you're going to do.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The hardest part of IT is getting your foot in the door. Once you get your first IT job moving to others is easy. Getting someone to take that first chance though... that's hard. I don't have resume advice for you, but make sure you are out there networking like crazy and your linkedin is filled out to 100%.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Third Man posted:

What do you even mean by "layer 2 routing protocols"? MPLS?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
You could make the argument that TRILL is kind of routey..I mean it has a TTL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Misogynist posted:

What do you even mean by "layer 2 routing protocols"? MPLS?

hurr, it means I am and idiot and do not proofread my posts...

So the consensus is I shouldn't have any network-related bullet points and let the certification speak for itself? My only concern is most networking jobs I've seen around my area are rather specific in their required qualifications, and I'm wondering if should at least have something in my resume other than "have CCNA" to catch the HR persons eye.

• Locked thread