Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I know in Textra I can configure certain contacts to not give me notifications, but is there an app that will make it so certain contacts don't alert me during certain times?

e.g. I am okay with MY GIRLFRIEND texting me at 6 AM but not my boss. I don't want my phone to ding with a text message from my boss until at least 10 AM and not after 10 PM.

An app that does that would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Possible stupid question regarding titanium backup. I did a clean install of the update to the rom I use. I let the Play Store reinstall all my apps. What do I hit in titanium backup to just restore the app data and not the whole app. All I see is restore all apps with data but im assuming that will restore the app also.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CancerStick posted:

Possible stupid question regarding titanium backup. I did a clean install of the update to the rom I use. I let the Play Store reinstall all my apps. What do I hit in titanium backup to just restore the app data and not the whole app. All I see is restore all apps with data but im assuming that will restore the app also.
Tap the app and select the backup and one of the options is Data only. If you're talking about doing it as a batch I believe there's an option there when you select it to do the same but I'm not near my phone to check.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Android version 4.1.2 :(
Then you can't use Chronus' lockscreen widget anyway?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Tap the app and select the backup and one of the options is Data only. If you're talking about doing it as a batch I believe there's an option there when you select it to do the same but I'm not near my phone to check.

Yea. I know about the per app restore but with 140 apps Id prefer a batch. I might be overlooking the batch restore of data only though.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Why does speedtest need to be 12mb and still not have a landscape mode? 12mb is more than twice as much ram as my 1st 486 25mhz pc had and this thing tests network speed.

It does look cooler. But I cant be the only one who defaults to holding landscape style while I'm sitting/laying/being still somehow.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

LastInLine posted:

Then you can't use Chronus' lockscreen widget anyway?
It makes for a pretty widgetbackground :unsmith:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

FordPRefectLL posted:

I know in Textra I can configure certain contacts to not give me notifications, but is there an app that will make it so certain contacts don't alert me during certain times?

e.g. I am okay with MY GIRLFRIEND texting me at 6 AM but not my boss. I don't want my phone to ding with a text message from my boss until at least 10 AM and not after 10 PM.

An app that does that would be fantastic.
I've done this through llama. Only calls from my family will sound off after 10PM, the rest are silent.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Why does speedtest need to be 12mb and still not have a landscape mode? 12mb is more than twice as much ram as my 1st 486 25mhz pc had and this thing tests network speed.

It does look cooler. But I cant be the only one who defaults to holding landscape style while I'm sitting/laying/being still somehow.
I turned off landscape back in 2011 and haven't looked back. :feelsgood:

Is this a common problem?

CancerStick posted:

Yea. I know about the per app restore but with 140 apps Id prefer a batch. I might be overlooking the batch restore of data only though.
Do the restore all apps + data and the next screen will ask you to verify which apps and whether you want apps/data or just data.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Vin BioEthanol posted:

If you're testing your network speed often and long enough that the lack of landscape mode bothers you, then I think you need to figure out other things to do with your phone.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Because we have the luxury of not needing to give a poo poo about app size or RAM usage for most non-game apps these days. Just including a bunch of default libraries for basic stuff can bloat your app size quickly, and there's little reason to waste time culling them down to exactly what you need when your app is still only 12 megs. Our phones are ridiculously powerful compared to your first computer.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

DemonMage posted:

Because we have the luxury of not needing to give a poo poo about app size or RAM usage for most non-game apps these days. Just including a bunch of default libraries for basic stuff can bloat your app size quickly, and there's little reason to waste time culling them down to exactly what you need when your app is still only 12 megs. Our phones are ridiculously powerful compared to your first computer.

This kind of lazy thinking frustrates me and is the reason that, despite my computer being ten times faster than it was in 2000, it starts up and performs basic operations at exactly the same speed.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Actually that has to do with using a HDD instead of a SSD. HDDs have not got significantly faster since 2000. SSDs on the other hand are significantly faster, and will drastically cut your boot times down as well as many basic operations. Cutting a small app down from 12mb to 6mb won't have a noticeable effect on anything.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 28, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Actually that has to do with using a HDD instead of a SSD. HDDs have not got significantly faster since 2000. SSDs on the other hand are significantly faster, and will drastically cut your boot times down as well as many basic operations. Cutting a small app down from 12mb to 6mb won't have a noticeable effect on anything.
This is truth. Cold boot to usable on my MacBook Air is about six seconds. Using a computer with a spinning HDD is like trying to use a smartphone on EDGE in that I guess it's possible but I'd rather not do it at all.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

This is truth. Cold boot to usable on my MacBook Air is about six seconds. Using a computer with a spinning HDD is like trying to use a smartphone on EDGE in that I guess it's possible but I'd rather not do it at all.
Every computer I use regularly has an SSD so I'm used to short load times. I had to boot one the other day with a mechanical drive and holy poo poo never again. It might only be 45 seconds but it feels like an eternity.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

DemonMage posted:

I think you're missing the point. Cutting a small app down from 12mb to 6mb won't have a noticeable effect. Cutting 30 apps from 12mb to 6mb might have a noticeable effect. It's lazy.

Windows startup/application opening/whatever times are largely limited by the transfer of information from hard drive platters into RAM. If Windows 7 is 5GB and Windows 98 was 200MB, what are you getting for that, besides bloat?

I dunno, I'm just venting here. Maybe it's stupid.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Testing network speed could be done (albeit without cool graphics) I'm sure at just a few KB compiled. Dos Linux or probably even windows.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

DemonMage posted:

HDDs have not got significantly faster since 2000.

Yes they have. SDDs are still way ahead of them, but there's a massive difference in performance between today's consumer HDDs and even shmancy 10k models from yesteryear.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ante posted:

I think you're missing the point. Cutting a small app down from 12mb to 6mb won't have a noticeable effect. Cutting 30 apps from 12mb to 6mb might have a noticeable effect. It's lazy.

It's not lazy. Developers are expensive. Development is a study in tradeoffs. If you eliminated all tradeoffs when doing development, products would literally never ship.

The only effect cutting 6MB from 30 apps would have would be the total amount of storage used. It's not like the size of the apps on your storage matters to the speed of your phone.

Storage is incredibly cheap and not worth wasting a bunch of developers time on when it will make little difference to app performance.

Take some theoretical app that could get by with a 6MB install instead of a 12MB install, It's not like the app reads all the unused stuff into memory every time it starts/performs an operation/does whatever...it's just unused until it needs it.

ante posted:

Windows startup/application opening/whatever times are largely limited by the transfer of information from hard drive platters into RAM. If Windows 7 is 5GB and Windows 98 was 200MB, what are you getting for that, besides bloat?

Higher resolution images, a huge increase in number of included drivers, and a ton of new technologies that you may or may not use, but Windows is sold to more people than just you.

Basically, while I'm sure there's instances of developers screwing up, or being lazy, and this causing worse performance, there's a ton of valid reasons to have larger app packages that don't include slower apps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ante posted:

You're getting an operating system that actually works.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CancerStick posted:

You could also just restore the apps as well, Play Store will re-update anything that has gone back a version.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Install Windows posted:

You're getting an operating system that actually works.

This.

Windows 98 was a poorly-executed 32-bit shell attempting to run on top of 16-bit DOS. Comparing it to Windows 7 is like trying to compare a Soviet-era Skoda to a modern Skoda, and the same goes for consumer Linux from that era; although it didn't rely on as much virtual duct-tape as '98 and was more stable, it was no-where near as functional.

Linux is probably a better example than Windows, to be honest. If any set of devs are fanatical about efficiency and code-aesthetics it's the OSS crowd and look how big Ubuntu, Suse, etc. are these days. Modern computers can do a whole lot more than computers from 15 years ago in addition to doing everything the 15 year old computers can do, so of course that requires more software to support. Since Android is Linux-based, this applies there too. Android handsets are general purpose computers and they have high-resolution displays and high-fidelity audio capabilities.

I mean for god's sake, the startup video/jingle your phone uses is almost certainly larger than some harddrives were 15 years go. This is chiefly where people get the wrong idea about 'lazy' developers from; code is small, and still is. High-fidelity assets (both audio and visual) are not. We still use raster displays so every time you double the display resolution you quadruple the storage requirements for the assets you have to scale up.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I mean for god's sake, the startup video/jingle your phone uses is almost certainly larger than some harddrives were 15 years go.

Really? Your startup jingle is 10 gigabytes?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

DNova posted:

Really? Your startup jingle is 10 gigabytes?

I may be out be a couple of years but if you had a 10GB consumer drive in 1998, you (or your parents) were a hell of a lot richer than mine.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I may be out be a couple of years but if you had a 10GB consumer drive in 1998, you (or your parents) were a hell of a lot richer than mine.

You're off by at least 5 years, being generous.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DNova posted:

You're off by at least 5 years, being generous.

I dunno, going buy this guy's analysis, even by the end of 1998, hard disks were ~$45-50/GB, so that's over $400 for a 10 GB drive, which is pretty expensive.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Is there an option to turn off notification sounds for certain hangouts? I only found an option to turn off notifications completely for certain hangouts.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hooah posted:

I dunno, going buy this guy's analysis, even by the end of 1998, hard disks were ~$45-50/GB, so that's over $400 for a 10 GB drive, which is pretty expensive.

Yes, hard drives were very expensive. You can find advertisements in the magazine collection at Archive.org if you are so inclined to do any primary research.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
People periodically ask about video player apps, and vplayer is the only one I tried that could play videos sent from iphones. The only issue is that it has a popup that asks you to buy the full version.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Every computer I use regularly has an SSD so I'm used to short load times. I had to boot one the other day with a mechanical drive and holy poo poo never again. It might only be 45 seconds but it feels like an eternity.

I've never used a computer with an SSD :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Farecoal posted:

You have no idea what you're missing. I worked for several months in a recording studio that used an SSD on their main studio computer. Booting up OS X, Pro Tools (with 10+ GB of plugins) and a multitrack session consisting of 20+ 24bit/96k wav files took a 45 seconds to a minute, tops. A comparable HD based system would take years.

It sure as gently caress impressed clients, that's for sure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm looking for an app that will, at certain prespecified times each day, speak the time. Without then going on to play alarm tones or need to be stopped. Any suggestions?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Farecoal posted:

It's loving great. Just don't put your OS on something smaller than ~60gb unless you like frequent flatten+reinstalls, because Windows 7 and 8 at least will happily overflow a 30gb drive (ie the next size down) with unremovable shitfiles over time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I'm looking for an app that will, at certain prespecified times each day, speak the time. Without then going on to play alarm tones or need to be stopped. Any suggestions?
Tasker could do this trivially but there are probably cheaper options. Maybe Llama.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Farecoal posted:

I've been buying and upgrading PCs for 25 years. There has never been a single upgrade as astounding as going from non-SSD to SSD.

This has nothing to do with Android. Mod Privilege Exercised.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It makes for a pretty widgetbackground :unsmith:

You can use it with widget locker. HTC seems to have abandoned me on 4.1.2 so this is the closest I can get to dash clock. Can't wait to have to buy a brand new phone just to get an OS up grade :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is there an app that will automatically switch to specific Wifi networks that I designate as they become available, regardless of what network I'm currently connected to?

I have a wifi-only Nexus 7, and a mobile wifi hotspot that I want to use only when other, freer, wireless access isn't available (so not when I'm at home, on a bus with wifi access, etc.).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's a good GTD task organizer that also doesn't look like a piece of crap? I know of Todoist, but I'm not sure whether I want to pay for a subscription. Google Keep would work, if these assholes would finally add an option to sort notes by last edit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

How can I disable screen lock (no PIN or slide-to-unlock) when on certain WiFi networks or connected to specific BT devices?

I know this has been talked about before but I just skimmed over it because I didn't care. Now I do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thermopyle posted:

How can I disable screen lock (no PIN or slide-to-unlock) when on certain WiFi networks or connected to specific BT devices?

I know this has been talked about before but I just skimmed over it because I didn't care. Now I do.

Tasker can be programmed to do it (See the Tasker thread for details).

Though fair warning - since I got my Galaxy it's not working as well as it did on my Evo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So it appears that Google Now's 'appointment' cards won't pop up for full-day events like birthdays. Is that the case or am I missing something? Because having cards for stuff like that would greatly increase the usefulness of Google Now for me, especially the Now widget.

• Locked thread