Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

So a job kind of fell in my lap. I haven't done the type of work before (business analyst) but have experience in the industry. I think the interview went well but about how long should I wait before shooting off an email to the hiring manager about the position if I haven't heard anything?

I've already sent a "thank you for meeting with me" type email after the first interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

neogeo0823 posted:

Hmm, I could do something like that, yeah. I tend to use free versions of popular programs, so Open Office instead of Microsoft Office, GIMP instead of Photoshop, etc, etc. I'll try writing up a section tomorrow and seeing how it looks.

Hmm. I'm not going to tell you to lie, but in cases where the software is functionally identical, my instinct is that most hiring managers will be more receptive to/familiar with brand name programs.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Xandu posted:

Hmm. I'm not going to tell you to lie, but in cases where the software is functionally identical, my instinct is that most hiring managers will be more receptive to/familiar with brand name programs.

So list brand name equivalents? I can do that. If I have to use, say, photoshop instead of GIMP, I already know how everything works, I just have to find where it is. That's a small speed bump.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, this doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I was just browsing Craigslist for job postings and I wanted to share this:

quote:

• You MUST have experience replacing motherboards, hard drives, and LCD screens in laptops and PCs
• Send a resume of your hardware repair experience
• Resume MUST focus on your experience replacing laptop and PC parts, even if as a hobby
• Please DO NOT include experience that has nothing to do with computer hardware repair
• Resume must be in .doc format
• Resume must be NO LONGER THAN 2 PAGES and must include your name, address, phone number, and email.
• PUT THE CITY YOU'RE APPLYING TO WORK IN IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL!!! THIS IS THE CITY POSTED IN THE CRAIGSLIST AD, NOT NECESSARILY YOUR CITY.
• Please DO NOT send a reference list or cover letter. Your resume is enough.
• No phone calls, please!
The job listing was looking promising till I saw this. So, uh... what? I guess someone doesn't want to deal with people who can't follow directions or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

neogeo0823 posted:

So, this doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I was just browsing Craigslist for job postings and I wanted to share this:

The job listing was looking promising till I saw this. So, uh... what? I guess someone doesn't want to deal with people who can't follow directions or something.

Or they've been drenched in absolutely fucktarded resumes and they've snapped.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FrozenVent posted:

Or they've been drenched in absolutely fucktarded resumes and they've snapped.

Good point, but dang. :stare:

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
I have an interview on Monday for a teaching position in a language academy. I think I can anticipate the questions and have the answers for them, except for one: "why did you leave your previous position?"

Truth is, my boss wanted someone with more experience and I'm not sure if I can convey it in a way that won't make me look green or incompetent - I have ben teaching for 2 years now.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

I have an interview on Monday for a teaching position in a language academy. I think I can anticipate the questions and have the answers for them, except for one: "why did you leave your previous position?"

Truth is, my boss wanted someone with more experience and I'm not sure if I can convey it in a way that won't make me look green or incompetent - I have ben teaching for 2 years now.

You were already there as an employee and your boss retroactively decided that they wanted someone with more experience? Maybe the way to approach this is to talk about the limited career advancement opportunities there. I mean, it certainly sounds from that brief description like they weren't interested in cultivating your career and level of experience.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but if a place lists their dress code as business casual and I'm going to wear slacks and a tucked-in shirt, I'd feel weird wearing a hoody. I guess a blazer is okay for this, then? But then from a distance, I'll just look like I'm wearing ill-matching suit pieces, no?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Safe and Secure! posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but if a place lists their dress code as business casual and I'm going to wear slacks and a tucked-in shirt, I'd feel weird wearing a hoody. I guess a blazer is okay for this, then? But then from a distance, I'll just look like I'm wearing ill-matching suit pieces, no?

Don't wear a blazer that's similar in color to your pants and this problem will not arise.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, here's a link to my resume for critique. I've added a skills and interests section to try and eat into the space at the bottom. Please let me know what you think of it.

I'm hoping I'm pretty close to finishing. I've been working on this drat thing off and on for a month and I'm extremely anxious to get into a better job before November.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Safe and Secure! posted:

Business casual, to me, has always meant a button-up collared shirt, nice slacks, and dress shoes. If you want to be a cool dude you can wear a tie; for the place I just started working I wore the outfit described above with a tie for the interview, and then the same sort of outfit without a tie for my first day (QA lab technician). I don't think a blazer is a must for all types of interviews, but since it's starting to cool down you might as well wear one if it goes with the rest of your outfit.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
I have an interview with a logistics company that I interviewed with back in July. The interview went well and was about an hour long, at the end he said he didn't have any positions available yet but they were going to be moving around some people in the future and he was doing interviews to find qualified people. I sent him on email a month just to keep my name in his head and I've received an email from the export manager about coming in for an interview on Monday. I've been on 30+ interviews in 3 months and I've been offered jobs at the majority of them but they all have offered less than I'm making now $12.55 an hour. The thing is I don't know what position I'm being interviewed for, so how can I best prepare for this. I want to nail this job, my Girlfriends cousin works in the same office as an accountant.

I have no experience in working in an office setting or with logistics. All of my experience is retail or manufacturing, how do I explain my skill set. I'm great with customer service and have been awarded many times from people emailing the corporate offices. I'm organized and I work harder at everything than everyone I know. Theses feel like stupid qualities and I want something more rock solid. But until I know what position I'm being considered for I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, I've got an interview next week with a German startup in Munich and I have a question about salaries. I've got about 3.5 years experience working as a Java team lead and am apply for a similar position, but I have no idea how to gauge if the deal they offer me is fair. They say Munich is one of the most expensive cities in Germany and so I'd expect the salaries to be adjusted accordingly. I've checked places like GlassDoor and others but there aren't many samples since it's mostly a US site. The conclusion I've come to is that €54,000 seems to be about the going rate for software developers and I think 60,000 is reasonable. Am I in the ballpark, am I low balling myself or is that outrageous? Additionally what's the minimum I'd need to get by for my wife and I?

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

corkskroo posted:

You were already there as an employee and your boss retroactively decided that they wanted someone with more experience? Maybe the way to approach this is to talk about the limited career advancement opportunities there. I mean, it certainly sounds from that brief description like they weren't interested in cultivating your career and level of experience.

Thanks, I'll think about that.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Right now I'm applying to various volunteering positions in a specific field (Occupational Therapy). Having a vast amount of observational hours is pretty important to being accepted into any OT program/school, so any hospital or clinic that's willing to take on career exploration type volunteers is basically flooded with applications. I tend to do well in interviews, but feel uncomfortable with my "Application Essay: Why do you deserve this" type writing assignments that these places require as part of the application process.

Any tips on very concisely conveying your sincerity in something like this? I just want to say, "I fully understand that observational positions use precious hospital resources. This position will help build the foundation to my career and so it deserves my utmost respect. Spend 10 minutes with me and you will see how motivated I am to make this work for the both of us." in a way that is formal and doesn't sound crazy. I'm so bad at "selling myself" indirectly by listing accomplishments. It makes me feel dishonest.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Where is an appropriate place to stick your references? Is it best to give them their own section or put them under their relevant entries in the Experience section?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Where is an appropriate place to stick your references? Is it best to give them their own section or put them under their relevant entries in the Experience section?

Read the OP.

quote:

Tell me what I need to know about making a good resume!

Things that should never be on your resume, part 1: "References available on request"

Literally like the fourth bullet point.

EDIT:

If you literally ctrl + f references on the first page:

quote:

Do not under any circumstances list your references on your resume. Reference-checking is one of the last stages of the hiring process. If you're a reference, do you really want your contact info plastered all over the place every time someone applies for a job?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bugamol posted:

Read the OP.

Read my post :geno:

Edit:

Bugamol posted:

If you literally ctrl+ f references on the first page:

I did a thread search for the word, rather than a page search. Guess I missed that one. Thanks for the info.

I was mostly wondering because I've heard conflicting advice about it. Hell, even the two things you just quoted can be interpreted as contradictory.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 29, 2013

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, I rewrote my resume to the template that was linked to me. Here's a copy for critique.

I'm a bit concerned about all the space at the bottom. Should I try and space things out a bit more to take some of that up, or leave it down there? Are there any other things I should change? Does all the content look ok?

You can break your bullet points up more. Shorter sentences = more likely to be read!

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

It depends on your country and industry. If you are in America for example, you should create a separate references document to send to an employer only when they request them. However, sometimes there are exceptions like in academia. Otherwise do not make any mention of references on your resume. On the other hand, in certain countries in Europe for example, you can list the actual references at the bottom of your resume.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

DustingDuvet posted:

It depends on your country and industry. If you are in America for example, you should create a separate references document to send to an employer only when they request them. However, sometimes there are exceptions like in academia. Otherwise do not make any mention of references on your resume. On the other hand, in certain countries in Europe for example, you can list the actual references at the bottom of your resume.

Yeah, sometimes companies demand them in advance. Generally speaking, they should still be on a separate document -- even if you submit them both at the same time, you want to optimize your resume for just sales of yourself and have the references be a nice extra. Unless, of course, otherwise instructed.

Makorz posted:

I was mostly wondering because I've heard conflicting advice about it. Hell, even the two things you just quoted can be interpreted as contradictory.
Those aren't contradictory. You should never put "References available on request" because everyone knows that and it's a waste of a line. You also shouldn't put the actual references because it isn't necessary until the end of the process, not the beginning.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DustingDuvet posted:

Yeah. I'm Canadian and I've literally never heard of people not putting their references on their resumes, which makes this even more confusing. Can any Canada goons weigh in?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 30, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I've read the OP and some of the thread and was hoping if people could give me some advice - For some companies I've been applying to I've noticed they ask outright for my preferred Salary. On the one hand I'd like to go as high as possible so they don't say "Well, on the website you said you'd like X not Y" in the interview. On the other I don't want to get my resume thrown out. Should I go for a middle ground?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah. I'm Canadian and I've literally never heard of people not putting their references on their resumes, which makes this even more confusing. Can any Canada goons weigh in?

You know weird job hunters.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm Canadian, and have always been told not to mention references on a resume. Except maybe 16 years old applying to McDo.

You get two pages as opposed to the US one page though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How strict is the criteria in the OP for a cover letter? I'm writing one now, and the job posting is on Craigslist and doesn't list the company name or website. Should I just skip the sentence about being excited to work there, or put something like "I'm excited about this position because I want to expand my knowledge and skill base." or something?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FrozenVent posted:

I'm Canadian, and have always been told not to mention references on a resume. Except maybe 16 years old applying to McDo.

You get two pages as opposed to the US one page though.

Good to know! My girlfriend who's also in a STEM field said she didn't put any on hers either, so I guess I do know weir job hunters. That clears up some space for the work experience I don't have :v:

Thanks.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

How strict is the criteria in the OP for a cover letter? I'm writing one now, and the job posting is on Craigslist and doesn't list the company name or website. Should I just skip the sentence about being excited to work there, or put something like "I'm excited about this position because I want to expand my knowledge and skill base." or something?

Sounds very reasonable.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
I've been submitting applications to a company's online career website.

One of my first submissions which was a few days ago and I didn't attach a cover letter. I have since written one for that position and as far as I can tell there is no way to edit my submission for that job. Should I submit a new application with my new cover letter? Would they see the first attempt as lazy and unprofessional?

edit: Oh! doesn't matter now. Got rejected. I dont know if that's a good thing that they got back to me so fast or a bad thing; :lol: oh well!

ObesePriest fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 2, 2013

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Going to an engineering/physics career fair tomorrow, so I'm dusting up the old resume. Having trouble fitting it all on one page.

Right now it goes as follows:

-Name/contact info
-Brief paragraph about myself and interests
-Research job
-Current lame student office assistant job
-Library tech job
-Managerial job at a movie theater
-Tech support salaried job I had for 3 years
-Education experience

Currently I'm about 20 lines or so off one page. I'm thinking of cutting the intro paragraph and the current lame job. Is that going to be okay? :ohdear:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

the posted:

Going to an engineering/physics career fair tomorrow, so I'm dusting up the old resume. Having trouble fitting it all on one page.

Right now it goes as follows:

-Name/contact info
-Brief paragraph about myself and interests
-Research job
-Current lame student office assistant job
-Library tech job
-Managerial job at a movie theater
-Tech support salaried job I had for 3 years
-Education experience

Currently I'm about 20 lines or so off one page. I'm thinking of cutting the intro paragraph and the current lame job. Is that going to be okay? :ohdear:

What will you fill the gap with? If you cut off your most current position they'll look at the resume and just see a large gap between your last period of employment.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What will you fill the gap with? If you cut off your most current position they'll look at the resume and just see a large gap between your last period of employment.

I'm currently doing research. I should mention that I'm in college, graduating in december, so I think they'd expect me to not be in a job at the moment.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Would anybody mind taking a look at my resume here? I'm trying to apply for more creative senior editor positions in journalism, magazines, and online editorial in the New York area (as well as copywriter and copyeditor positions) and I'm not getting any bites at all. I'm actually at the point where I'm considering moving to Los Angeles to start over.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 3, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I have kind of dilemma I was hoping this thread could help me with...I was told I'm going to get a job offer with company A on Monday for an interview I did last week. My old contract just expired so I'm not working any more and it's pretty important I get a job fast.

However, I also have two interviews next week for positions that are way better than the one I'm getting an offer for. I'm not confident I'll be able to get either of them but I couldn't afford to pass them up if offered. So I'm not really sure how to proceed...I've heard that I should just tell company A that I'm considering some other opportunities and ask for a week to decide, but that's still probably not enough time to hear back from the other places. They even asked me to convince them during the interview that I was committed to a 6 month contract and wouldn't ditch them for somewhere else after taking it (I guess they realized I'm a little overqualified).

Should I just say gently caress it and take the offer and then leave if I get something better a month later? How bad of a thing is that to do? I'm gonna feel like a dick but is it something I can get in trouble for down the road?

Also related question: If an interview offer email tells me that they have a casual dress code and I'm invited to do the same, is there some kind of good standard of what to wear? I googled it already, but there's obviously so many options compared to "grey suit+white shirt+nice tie" so I was wondering if people here have some suggestions.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

Starks posted:

However, I also have two interviews next week for positions that are way better than the one I'm getting an offer for. I'm not confident I'll be able to get either of them but I couldn't afford to pass them up if offered. So I'm not really sure how to proceed...I've heard that I should just tell company A that I'm considering some other opportunities and ask for a week to decide, but that's still probably not enough time to hear back from the other places. They even asked me to convince them during the interview that I was committed to a 6 month contract and wouldn't ditch them for somewhere else after taking it (I guess they realized I'm a little overqualified).

How did you respond?

Starks posted:

Should I just say gently caress it and take the offer and then leave if I get something better a month later? How bad of a thing is that to do? I'm gonna feel like a dick but is it something I can get in trouble for down the road?

It depends on how you responded when they specifically asked if you would do this. It would paint you either as "a selfish person who is totally cool with lying directly to people when it benefits himself" or "a straight forward guy who was clear about his commitment to this job". From how most interviewees behave though, I'm going to guess the former is true (i.e. you flat out lied to them and said you'd stick by their company rah rah). Depending on how big the company is, they'll have various policies about what they will tell other employers about you. At the very least they would be with their rights to confirm that you only worked there for a month (or whatever) and you left of your own volition, which would raise red flags with most people doing interviews.

You can get around that by just not listing that job on your resume though.

Starks posted:

Also related question: If an interview offer email tells me that they have a casual dress code and I'm invited to do the same, is there some kind of good standard of what to wear? I googled it already, but there's obviously so many options compared to "grey suit+white shirt+nice tie" so I was wondering if people here have some suggestions.

Dress shirt+slacks. Interviews are not the place to try to be as casual as everyone else, people will forgive you for dressing up a bit for an interview, they'll look down on you if you come looking like a hobo.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Alright, I recently redid my resume. Main thing is that I can add to and change the summary and skills to tailor as needed. Here's the link to my google drive. This resume is aimed at getting an engineering position.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_A9veorqOWZdFRfd1dadk9CZm8/edit?usp=sharing

The header looks to have gotten messed up by the upload, so I'll try to fix that.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Sivlan posted:

How did you respond?

Well all I said was that I wouldn't accept a job offer if I was still considering other options. I've thought about it and yeah I think I'm just gonna stand by what I said and tell them I need more time and see how the other interviews go. I got a decent amount of interviews in a short period of time so hopefully if I have to pass on their offer I won't get stranded in unemployment.

Sivlan posted:

Dress shirt+slacks. Interviews are not the place to try to be as casual as everyone else, people will forgive you for dressing up a bit for an interview, they'll look down on you if you come looking like a hobo.

Thanks, that's honestly what I'd prefer but I'd heard elsewhere that if they tell you the dress code then you should always go with that. Dress shirt and slacks it is.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to get back into the workforce as I'm currently a stay at home dad. I've checked out the OP and I think I'm hitting the points I need to. Can anyoen give me some pointer?

Here is the link to a public resume

Also this thread is for reference of my situation, rather than typing it all out again:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572558&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Your most recent job has really vague statements of what you did.

quote:

Universal workforce, able to work on any piece of work at any time throughout the entire state

Granted I'm not in your field, but I literally have no idea what this mean and it just sounds vague.

quote:

Provide face to face as well as remote customer service and eligibility decisions quickly and efficiently

Again this sounds like a weird fragment where you don't really describe what you do.

quote:

Real time operation and interaction with multiple computer systems and interfaces

This sounds like absolute filler.