Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Costello Jello posted:

Just a heads up, I bought a Lifestyle Solutions brand couch from Costco myself (that was the same concept of futon with the sides that can form armrests), but mine was a different model that cost more like $300-400 I think. And within one year, one leg broke off while a 110 lb girl was sitting on it. The company did replace the leg for free. But by the time the couch was 14 months old, the leather had completely disintegrated on the entire couch, flaking off entirely. The whole couch. We kept a fitted sheet on it until we bought a real couch that was only like $600 that has held up great. So I would probably think twice on buying that. I've got a picture of the leg, but not of how terrible the couch looked after all the leather flaked off.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up.

As for the leather flaking off, I believe it. It's not real leather, those sofas cost $1,000+, it's "bonded leather" which is just some scraps of leather chopped up and mized with plastic and "smeared" onto the couch. If it's done well, it can last a while (not as long as real leather, though) but yeah, cheaply done and it flakes off pretty bad.

My desk chair is doing that right now on the armrests. But it was only $60, but I expected that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I got a little shoe rack for my apartment's living room because everyone was always leaving their shoes all over the living room and it was bugging me, so now if any of the four people who live here take their shoes off in the living room, we all put them on the shoe rack. But now the problem is that this one area where the shoe rack is smells like feet and shoes all the time. Is there anything I can do to curb the smell other than individually deodorizing everyone's shoes? There's an outlet right next to the rack, should I just plug in an air freshener or something? Or put a little dish of baking soda nearby?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Getting ready to apply for a new apartment, just got my bankruptcy discharge in the mail :suicide:

I'm not super worried, because this is the type of place with a crazy move-in special that results in the entire application/first month's rent package costing less than a normal month's rent, and is kind of for lower-middle class or worse tenants, but still :ohdear:

I just want to get out of the horrendous rathole I've been living in while I wrapped up my degree, haha. The new place will at least have a dishwasher and a bathtub.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have really tall ceilings (~14 feet) with a ceiling fan that's also the light for the room. 2 out of 4 lightbulbs are burnt out and my stepladder isn't tall enough to reach them. My car is not large enough to buy a taller ladder (nor do I want to invest in one just for one light fixture in a rental house).

How the hell do I change these lightbulbs?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have really tall ceilings (~14 feet) with a ceiling fan that's also the light for the room. 2 out of 4 lightbulbs are burnt out and my stepladder isn't tall enough to reach them. My car is not large enough to buy a taller ladder (nor do I want to invest in one just for one light fixture in a rental house).

Pick one of these up. Long pole with a thing to grab the bulb on the end.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bayco-11-ft-Pole-Light-Bulb-Changer-Kit-with-Attachments-CE-600SDLB12/100354521

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do those actually work? Can I also use it to screw in CFL bulbs?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've got ceilings almost that tall and my landlord told me straight up to call maintenance whenever a light bulb needs to be changed.

Then again, I'm in a professionally managed property, so things might be different in a house with a private landlord.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

deadwing posted:

I've got ceilings almost that tall and my landlord told me straight up to call maintenance whenever a light bulb needs to be changed.

Then again, I'm in a professionally managed property, so things might be different in a house with a private landlord.

I also had similar ceilings with in a professionally managed building in downtown Manhattan.

They told me to go buy a ladder.

For my studio apartment.

To change two loving bulbs.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anyone have any experience with exterminators baiting for rodents while having pets? We just got notice they're doing the baiting tomorrow, and we concerned about the cat eating the bait.

Also, we have to figure out how to board the cat on short notice. We can't just leave her in the carrier all day because she freaks out when shes in the carrier for more than a couple minutes frankly. If worst comes to worst, we'll just have to do that.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ok, I need a goddamn sanity check. We moved into the apt like a month and a half ago, a few days after move-in I saw a mouse running back into the hvac closet. Pest guy came, threw bait all over, and a maintenance guy sealed up the hvac. Kept seeing fresh mice turds in the kitchen. Pulled back oven, pulled back dishwasher (that's where my previous pic of dead mice and roaches in sticky traps comes from). Bleached and cleaned everything, filled all holes with steel wool and expanding foam, everything is locked up better than fort knox.

I still kept seeing mouse turds every now and again, was at a total loss as to where the gently caress the little rear end in a top hat was coming from. Last night I finally saw it. I think it got trapped outside when I sealed up the kitchen. It's been living inside the loving oven. Like, between the oven space and the stovetop there's an area where the insulation is. The insulation's been keeping it from roasting, and makes for drat fine nesting material apparently. I think it's only one. The management's saying that whoever's responsible for replacing equipment basically refuses to do so until the things are actively on fire. Apparently there's a lady whose oven only works like half the time, and they won't replace it. They're not licensed to remove/replace the insulation. All they can do is keep baiting (which means the mouse will die inside my loving oven!).

I told the guy to hold off on baiting, cause there's just enough space under the oven top to fit one of those no-see no-touch traps. Even if I caught the little rear end in a top hat, though, there's still mouse poo poo like 3 inches under where I make my food, separated by a metal panel but still. Is that even legal?

M42 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 19, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

M42 posted:

The management's saying that whoever's responsible for replacing equipment basically refuses to do so until the things are actively on fire.

I think you know what to do.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

deadwing posted:

When I moved in half the lightbulbs in the place were burnt out. Landlord wouldn't do anything.

I'm gonna pick up one of those lightbulb stick things tomorrow and hope that it works.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

When I moved in half the lightbulbs in the place were burnt out. Landlord wouldn't do anything.

I'm gonna pick up one of those lightbulb stick things tomorrow and hope that it works.
Don't forget to take them with you when you move.

Or just throw them away.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Anyone have any experience with exterminators baiting for rodents while having pets? We just got notice they're doing the baiting tomorrow, and we concerned about the cat eating the bait.

Also, we have to figure out how to board the cat on short notice. We can't just leave her in the carrier all day because she freaks out when shes in the carrier for more than a couple minutes frankly. If worst comes to worst, we'll just have to do that.

Buy a dog cage? My kitty done broke her foot in half and they said cage rest was best, so she could move a little. Borrowed my friends big dog sized cage and she didn't freak. It was two months.

Err, edit: I realize you said it was for exterminator. That might be overkill for a couple days. I worry tho... My friend's cat died when she inhaled rat poison from his neighbors yard. :(. Have a friend who can borrow a cat for a few days? A friend with a mouse problem would love it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Interstitial Abs posted:

Buy a dog cage? My kitty done broke her foot in half and they said cage rest was best, so she could move a little. Borrowed my friends big dog sized cage and she didn't freak. It was two months.

Err, edit: I realize you said it was for exterminator. That might be overkill for a couple days. I worry tho... My friend's cat died when she inhaled rat poison from his neighbors yard. :(. Have a friend who can borrow a cat for a few days? A friend with a mouse problem would love it.

Yeah I found a friend who could take it. They're only baiting the apartment, so no poison gas but I'm going to inspect the apartment for the bait location to see if she'll be in any sort of danger.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Can someone explain to me why my apartment complex's new manager is telling us that there are a limited number of 6-month leases, and that if you don't get to the office to sign your new lease before all the 6-months are gone, you will have no choice but to sign a 12-month? Our old manager just let us choose between a 6-month, 12-month, or month-to-month depending on our needs; it wasn't subject to availability. I've never heard of this before, but I assume there's some kind of motivation behind it. When I asked her what the reason was she just said, "oh, it's a budget thing" and wouldn't explain it further.

I'm worried because the management here is notoriously hard to get in touch with and their office is always closed, even during posted business hours. We had an appointment on Tuesday to sign our new lease and the office was closed when we went there. Everyone who lives in this apartment (four people) is moving far away/out of state 6 months from when our current lease expires, so there's no way we can commit to a 12-month lease.

So I guess my two questions are, why is this "limited availability" for 6-month leases a thing, and is there anything I might be able to do to get a 6-month lease anyway considering the circumstances?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They probably just don't want every apartment turning over at the same time.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Yeah I found a friend who could take it. They're only baiting the apartment, so no poison gas but I'm going to inspect the apartment for the bait location to see if she'll be in any sort of danger.
The danger isn't that your cat will eat the bait (why would it appeal to her?), it's that she'll eat a poisoned mouse. It isn't a one-day problem. Please ask in Pet Island instead -- I wish I had an easy answer, but hopefully they will.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Anne Whateley posted:

Please ask in Pet Island instead -- I wish I had an easy answer, but hopefully they will.

I don't think PI is "helpful" in the common sense of the word.

And re: "limited number of 6month leases" guy, that sounds shady as gently caress.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Budget Bears posted:

Can someone explain to me why my apartment complex's new manager is telling us that there are a limited number of 6-month leases, and that if you don't get to the office to sign your new lease before all the 6-months are gone, you will have no choice but to sign a 12-month? Our old manager just let us choose between a 6-month, 12-month, or month-to-month depending on our needs; it wasn't subject to availability. I've never heard of this before, but I assume there's some kind of motivation behind it. When I asked her what the reason was she just said, "oh, it's a budget thing" and wouldn't explain it further.

I'm worried because the management here is notoriously hard to get in touch with and their office is always closed, even during posted business hours. We had an appointment on Tuesday to sign our new lease and the office was closed when we went there. Everyone who lives in this apartment (four people) is moving far away/out of state 6 months from when our current lease expires, so there's no way we can commit to a 12-month lease.

So I guess my two questions are, why is this "limited availability" for 6-month leases a thing, and is there anything I might be able to do to get a 6-month lease anyway considering the circumstances?

I can talk to my lawyer friend, but yes that is shady as gently caress and how can they just shoe horn you into a new lease if it's not written specifically that way in the former one.

Like mine will auto re new for 12 if I don't let the landlady know 90 days prior to the end of the lease. But she can't just change that to two years just you know, because...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Interstitial Abs posted:

I can talk to my lawyer friend, but yes that is shady as gently caress and how can they just shoe horn you into a new lease if it's not written specifically that way in the former one.

Like mine will auto re new for 12 if I don't let the landlady know 90 days prior to the end of the lease. But she can't just change that to two years just you know, because...
Uh... for the most part, AFAIK, you are allowed to change the terms of a lease with sufficient notice when it comes up for renewal.

Budget Bears: check what your lease says. If you have a six-month lease that auto-renews unless they tell you otherwise, then you should be fine.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Interstitial Abs posted:

I don't get what's shady about it. It's a new contract, there's no law that says they have to use the old one. Your case is different, because you agreed in your lease to auto-renew the same leasing terms, if you don't opt out within [X] grace period.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I purchased a double mattress for myself (having two people in a single, though it only happens rarely, loving sucks okay), but the trouble is it's about an hour away. Still within the same city, but a different suburb. The seller offers shipping, but I'd actually prefer to organize it myself if I can. Trouble is, all movers are built around moving entire houses or rooms. How the hell can I move one item?

I can't tow, I'm on a probationary licence.

eta: I live in Melbourne.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 22, 2013

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Try a white van man - someone who has a van and does casual one off jobs. We use various ones when we want single big items like a couch delivered.

Should be plently listed on craigslist / your local equivelant.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Sorry for a somewhat off topic question, but is there a home ownership thread anywhere? This thread seems to be pretty focused on renting / moving, and I think a thread for home owners (who have an entirely different set of problems than renters) would be pretty useful.

Edit: Never mind, I have been directed here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

armorer fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 25, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Soooo... I got a bonus at work, and made what I wouldn't entirely call an "impulse" buy of a new 24" 1080p monitor (it was on sale). The problem is that I don't have room on my desk for both my current monitor and the new one.

So, I need a new desk. I'd like a relatively small one, with space for a keyboard, mouse, and two 24" 1080p monitors. I also don't want to break the bank for it, or get anything really nice, just something that's not going to fall apart if I sneeze too hard. Suggestions?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Soooo... I got a bonus at work, and made what I wouldn't entirely call an "impulse" buy of a new 24" 1080p monitor (it was on sale). The problem is that I don't have room on my desk for both my current monitor and the new one.

So, I need a new desk. I'd like a relatively small one, with space for a keyboard, mouse, and two 24" 1080p monitors. I also don't want to break the bank for it, or get anything really nice, just something that's not going to fall apart if I sneeze too hard. Suggestions?

Alternative suggestion: Get a mounting arm for one (or both) of the monitors, then you can have them fastened to the edge of your desk without using space for the big bases, and a decent arm would also let you place them in potentially more ergonomic positions. And way more desk space. You should be able to find a two-display VESA mounting arm for $70-$100 I think.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Alternative suggestion: Get a mounting arm for one (or both) of the monitors, then you can have them fastened to the edge of your desk without using space for the big bases, and a decent arm would also let you place them in potentially more ergonomic positions. And way more desk space. You should be able to find a two-display VESA mounting arm for $70-$100 I think.
The desk is a student desk I found on the side of the road when I moved here. It's probably about three feet wide, and has like a hutch thing that comes down along the sides of the top of the desk. Even with mounting arms, I don't think there's room for two monitors.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

My buddy just got this desk a few months ago, and it's pretty awesome. And, what do you know, "Holds up to two 24" flat screens". So it's exactly the size you need.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Requesting Furniture advice!

So my girlfriend an I really like the Ikea Brown Bjursta extendable table. It works in our space, can be larger if we have company and is overall pretty excellent looking. The issue is that Ikea only has one set of chairs that match the drat thing. The chairs, while looking nice, are 50$ and have a white cushion that I cant imagine will go well with our black cat.

Does anyone know of any other not worthless furniture that would match?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jet Set Jettison posted:

So my girlfriend an I really like the Ikea Brown Bjursta extendable table. It works in our space, can be larger if we have company and is overall pretty excellent looking. The issue is that Ikea only has one set of chairs that match the drat thing. The chairs, while looking nice, are 50$ and have a white cushion that I cant imagine will go well with our black cat.

Assuming you're talking about the BÖRJE chairs, they do have seat covers for those, $10 though. Maybe check around local places to see if they have anything in a matching wood with a different color cushion?

Alternatively:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

hailthefish posted:

Alternatively:

Already do this for a million things. I don't need more anxiety about cat hair :shobon:.

I didn't know about the dark grey covers. We're really close to ikea so we can go back and see if they'll work with the brown.

E: The IKEA people weren't very helpful. We asked the dude there if there were any other chairs and he said "well there are brown chairs all over this area" and shrugged his shoulders.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 27, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Considered the STEFAN chair? It doesn't have a cushion but I'd say one isn't strictly necessary. And otherwise you can get some later on.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

nielsm posted:

Considered the STEFAN chair? It doesn't have a cushion but I'd say one isn't strictly necessary. And otherwise you can get some later on.

We did. It only comes in Black-brown, which is darker than the regular brown we wanted :(.

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

That's a beautiful, streamlined, neutral table that you could pair with a lot of options.

Here's a photo of that table with Eames fiberglass chairs:

source: http://chezerbey.com/tour/dining-after/

Are you determined to stick with options from Ikea? If so, the new Stockholm design is nice: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60246221/

I think the Tobais would be a great option too: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20115038/

Like so:

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
So, I'm moving out of my parent's apartment for the first time and have been scouring craigslist for a place in my budget, which is $500. Today I went to go look at a place that seemed promising, it's a room in a family home in a residential area. It's only two miles from my work which would save me a bundle on gas (was previously commuting 20 miles), it's a big room, lots of closet space, somewhat clean.

My only thing is, the person who showed me the room doesn't live there. Which is a shame because she seemed great. I'd be living with her younger sister, her sister's friend (both girls in their early 20s) and her mom and dad. Only the sister was there to meet - does this seem odd? Should I wait to meet the other three before making a decision? The woman who showed me the room assured me that everyone works full time so I wouldn't see them that much.

Also, I've only had experience living in apartment complexes where terms are laid out clearly in a lease, what's the protocol for a situation like this that is a lot more relaxed, where it's literally just renting out a room in a family's home?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

tallest crocodile posted:

Also, I've only had experience living in apartment complexes where terms are laid out clearly in a lease, what's the protocol for a situation like this that is a lot more relaxed, where it's literally just renting out a room in a family's home?

I don't have experience with this, but that's something you should make sure is very clearly laid out before you move in.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

tallest crocodile posted:

I'd suggest at least getting in writing and signed by both parts: What the rent is (and how+when to pay), what parts of the house you have access to, notice for ending lease from either part, what keys and how many you receive, and any other rules and obligations (e.g. house/room cleaning, usage of kitchen and washing room, and such.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 28, 2013

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask. My room mate and I moved out of an apartment complex. The last day of our lease is the 30th of this month. She moved out at the end of last month and I moved out on the 14th of this month. A few days after I moved out, I noticed that the carpet had been pulled up and the mat underneath had been pulled out. This was at night, after the front office had been closed. The next day I called the office and I found out that the neighbor underneath us (we're on the third floor) complained of a leak in the ceiling. The maintenance guys had gone in and the reservoir on the toilet in the hallway had cracked and leaked everywhere. Neither one of us were there when it happened. I was told that we might be liable for damages because we're still on the lease and we still have our keys even though we weren't technically living there anymore. The reasoning was that if we were there, we could have reported the incident and cleaned up before it became a serious issue. Has anybody had a similar experience?

tl;dr: Room mate and I have moved out of an apartment, toilet tank broke, caused lots of water damage, we might be held responsible. How hosed is my bank account?

Also, no we didn't get renter's insurance. (Possible) Expensive rear end lesson learned :doh:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask. My room mate and I moved out of an apartment complex. The last day of our lease is the 30th of this month. She moved out at the end of last month and I moved out on the 14th of this month. A few days after I moved out, I noticed that the carpet had been pulled up and the mat underneath had been pulled out. This was at night, after the front office had been closed. The next day I called the office and I found out that the neighbor underneath us (we're on the third floor) complained of a leak in the ceiling. The maintenance guys had gone in and the reservoir on the toilet in the hallway had cracked and leaked everywhere. Neither one of us were there when it happened. I was told that we might be liable for damages because we're still on the lease and we still have our keys even though we weren't technically living there anymore. The reasoning was that if we were there, we could have reported the incident and cleaned up before it became a serious issue. Has anybody had a similar experience?

tl;dr: Room mate and I have moved out of an apartment, toilet tank broke, caused lots of water damage, we might be held responsible. How hosed is my bank account?

Also, no we didn't get renter's insurance. (Possible) Expensive rear end lesson learned :doh:

That's completely bullshit, you could have just as well been at work or out of town. You should be able to fight that if they try to charge you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

deadwing posted:

That's completely bullshit, you could have just as well been at work or out of town. You should be able to fight that if they try to charge you.

I appreciate the vote of confidence but the only problem is I have no idea how to go about it. Write a letter to my Senator? (Joking, of course)Any advice is welcome. This is in Texas if it helps anyone.