Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm your always faithful AC adapter. I'm different than the others. If you are made for me, I will be yours. If you let me come inside you, I will keep you going all night long.

I feel so dirty now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm the lack of batteries in your meterless film camera, suck it electricity needers.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'm your ol' timey trustworthy selenium cell meter! Why, I've been providing over seventy years of service in this very camera! I like the sun, feel free to leave me out in bright light! I'll continue giving you good exposures and working reliab- SET YOUR SHUTTER SPEED TO FIVE DAYS, PUNCH A HOLE STRAIGHT THROUGH YOUR APERTURE, HAIL SATAN RAAAARGH.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My 35mm camera's meter really only works properly with illegal mercury batteries (there's a modern good-enough substitute that makes it read a stop off). But at least Zuiko glass isn't radioactive.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nerdssssssssssss!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

But at least Zuiko glass isn't radioactive.
Why do you hate fun?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Delivery McGee posted:

My 35mm camera's meter really only works properly with illegal mercury batteries (there's a modern good-enough substitute that makes it read a stop off). But at least Zuiko glass isn't radioactive.

My chromenose zuiko 50mm 1.4 is hella radioactive.

Hi I'm a zinc air cell. I'm cheap, your grandma loves me, but I don't last very long under pressure.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mightaswell posted:

My chromenose zuiko 50mm 1.4 is hella radioactive.

Or maybe my hands are going to fall off (though if that happens I'm going to blame it on the developer without gloves rather than the fancy glass).

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

This chart is what kept me sane when I started worrying about collecting Takumar 55s, several versions of which are slightly radioactive, but not nearly as much as the Takumar 50 1.4s. As long as you don't keep them in a sack and then use that sack as a pillow you'll be fine.

Short video of someone measuring the radiation emitted from their Tak 55 :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL3D7FQTHXo

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 29, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
One thing that was slow to occur to me (hurrr): How radioactive can they possibly be if you can leave them on your camera indefinitely and they don't even fog the film?

Helicity posted:

Short video of someone measuring the radiation emitted from their Tak 55 :science:

I can't tell if those are just counters incrementing or if there's some sort of unit attached to the numbers.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 29, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

ITT we roleplay discharge curves of various battery chemistries I guess.

Hi I'm the replacement battery in my iPho--

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Phanatic posted:

One thing that was slow to occur to me (hurrr): How radioactive can they possibly be if you can leave them on your camera indefinitely and they don't even fog the film?

I can't tell if those are just counters incrementing or if there's some sort of unit attached to the numbers.

From the youtube description:

"This is an SMC Takumar 55/1.8 that has a thorium doped lenses. Thorium was used to obtain larger refraction ratio and keep relatively low dispersion at the same time.

Radiation was measured with beta shields removed, so both gamma quants and beta particles were counted. Dose equivalent rate is almost 30uSv/h (200 times background radiation in my area). RKSB-104 (GORIN) shows only 20uSv/h because it has two G-M tubes on opposite sides of the casing, so only one tube was exposed to the radiation (the lens is 3-4cm in diameter). Polaron has two tubes also but both are placed on one side, so they both were exposed to the radiation."

It does look like the units just increment for ~30 seconds though, but I'm not real familiar with those units (or russian).

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Helicity posted:

This chart is what kept me sane when I started worrying about collecting Takumar 55s, several versions of which are slightly radioactive, but not nearly as much as the Takumar 50 1.4s. As long as you don't keep them in a sack and then use that sack as a pillow you'll be fine.

So a banana is as radioactive as a threesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My mom's had a radioactive lens on her Nikon for over 30 years (we only found out about it when she got randomly tested at the aiport and the dude was like "ummm your camera is coming up as positive") and so far she hasn't grown any extra limbs so you're probably ok.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
So recently I bought a couple of m42 lenses and adapter.

I'm a little confused with this this stuff. I thought I had it researched, but turns out there's variants of the Helios 44-4.
Some of these hit the mirror on the 5D Mark II, but there's conflicting info out there. I just want to double check before I mount it which version I have?

Here's the ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310736701...84.m1497.l2649

I have a sneaking suspicion I bought the wrong one.

I'll be using a Fotodiox m42 to EOS mount, if that helps.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

My 400D is getting old and the AF is playing up, I want to change. I've been playing around with a friends GF3 and I really like the form factor and quality. I currently have 3 Canon lenses and mostly use(d) the 50mm which I just love. I miss it, but I'm also loving the 1080 HD video on the GF3 and it is just sexy in the hands.
So I was thinking "New DSLR or just sell everything and buy a GF3" when the idea of a Canon hybrid with an adaptor hit me. It exists and seems like exactly what I want: compact good quality camera that can shoot video (child on the way) but can still take fancy pants RAW photos with some 50mm bokeh (sorry to be that guy).
So... Canon EOS M + adaptor: any feedback?
I'm also seeing some cheap (30-50€) lens adapters on eBay from Germany (I'm in France) whereas it costs 130€ on Amazon - is this knockoff junk or will it to the job (mount adapter) correctly ?
Thank you all or any help!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

the_lion posted:

So recently I bought a couple of m42 lenses and adapter.

I'm a little confused with this this stuff. I thought I had it researched, but turns out there's variants of the Helios 44-4.
Some of these hit the mirror on the 5D Mark II, but there's conflicting info out there. I just want to double check before I mount it which version I have?

Here's the ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310736701...84.m1497.l2649

I have a sneaking suspicion I bought the wrong one.

I'll be using a Fotodiox m42 to EOS mount, if that helps.

Your ebay listing is either expired or not linked right.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wait for the next M. Current gen is slow, but they've shown they know how to do sensor autofocus.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Slow even with firmware 2.0? And coming from 400D?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The current M is pretty darn cheap right now- maybe you can go to a store and try one out. I think CanonRumors has suggested two new M models- one a marginal upgrade and one with the live view AF hotness from the 70D. Either one is likely to be at least twice what the M goes for now. The 22/2 M lens will give you plenty bokehs.

I got my ef/ef-s -> M adapter from e-bay. I had bad luck with one of the cheap-o ones, but I returned it and got the official one and it was I think $80 or $100 from an ebay store.

I don't really have a sense of how slow the 400D, but I'd guess the M is a little slower than the 400D when you use the viewfinder on the 400D. I don't know if the 400D even has live view AF, but if it does, the M might have the advantage there.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Your ebay listing is either expired or not linked right.

So it has. This one should work.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Helios-4...cvip=true&rt=nc

I asked the seller, he wasn't sure.

One guy on another board suggested using Live View mode to raise the mirror, then fit the lens with the mirror raised, then turn off Live View so the mirror drops down to test whether it will be a problem.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 2, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the_lion posted:

One guy on another board suggested using Live View mode to raise the mirror, then fit the lens with the mirror raised, then turn off Live View so the mirror drops down to test whether it will be a problem.
Don't loving do this.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't loving do this.

Well, if he does then the mirror won't be a problem (one way or the other).

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The current M is pretty darn cheap right now- maybe you can go to a store and try one out. I think CanonRumors has suggested two new M models- one a marginal upgrade and one with the live view AF hotness from the 70D. Either one is likely to be at least twice what the M goes for now. The 22/2 M lens will give you plenty bokehs.

I got my ef/ef-s -> M adapter from e-bay. I had bad luck with one of the cheap-o ones, but I returned it and got the official one and it was I think $80 or $100 from an ebay store.

I don't really have a sense of how slow the 400D, but I'd guess the M is a little slower than the 400D when you use the viewfinder on the 400D. I don't know if the 400D even has live view AF, but if it does, the M might have the advantage there.

Thanks for all the info - I will try one in store.

While searching around I've heard it's possible to use Canon EF lenses with other interchangeables, such as the Sony Nex. There are both cheap manual and more expensive AF adapters. What do you guys think about that ?

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Auto-Focus-AF-Confirm-Canon-EF-Lens-To-Sony-NEX-Adapter-Ring-/200968880123

The introduction / function part reads funny though, doesn't seem to make sense.

That ($100) + Sony Nex 3n (350€) ?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't loving do this.

8th-snype posted:

Well, if he does then the mirror won't be a problem (one way or the other).

This is all new to me, is the "don't do this" part of "you'll damage the mirror" or will it cause major problems?

I think it'll be back to eBay for me, grab the model that I know works after doing more research that I missed at the start.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The mirror on cameras snaps down with some force, if the lens doesn't clear it you will shatter the mirror. If you buy that lens do your self a favor and go to Harbor Freight (or wherever) and buy a cheap set of vernier calipers to measure the flange to mirror distance on your camera and compare it with the amount the rear element sticks out of the lens.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Gotcha. thanks guys. Great info.

Anyone else interested in doing similar, I just found this forum. Pretty extensive, I wish i'd found it sooner.

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-helios-lens-list-anyone-t11435.html

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sounds like you've found the info you need already, but just to mention that I have the Helios 44M-4 and it fits fine on a Canon 50D.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Sounds like you've found the info you need already, but just to mention that I have the Helios 44M-4 and it fits fine on a Canon 50D.

Maybe not an entirely wasted thing then, I know someone with a 50D that might like the lens.

Here's an extensive list of M42 lenses that work with the 5dmk2 if anyone is interested in this stuff.
http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Anybody can identify the mount on this lens? I'm looking for something cheap and long for the nex and the Vivitar 100-300mm F/5 seens to get good reviews, but the seller says he doesn't know what mount this is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The photo is a little too dark and grainy to see a lot of the mount, unfortunately. Can you ask him for a better photo? Maybe have him point a lamp at the lens or something.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
How often do lenses come and go on KEH? They had about 5 Tamron 60mm f/2 macro lenses on before, and naturally I look to go get one and they are all gone. They get regular cycles or would I expect not to find one like that for quite a while.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Primo Itch posted:

Anybody can identify the mount on this lens? I'm looking for something cheap and long for the nex and the Vivitar 100-300mm F/5 seens to get good reviews, but the seller says he doesn't know what mount this is.

The lens is T4 mount anyway, the adapters aren't hard to find nor expensive like some (drat you AD2/PKA). Expect to pay 5-15USD for whatever mount you want it in.

Bob Mundon posted:

How often do lenses come and go on KEH? They had about 5 Tamron 60mm f/2 macro lenses on before, and naturally I look to go get one and they are all gone. They get regular cycles or would I expect not to find one like that for quite a while.

It's catch as catch can. I'd say check every couple days, they're pretty quick to refresh inventory.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Different lenses on KEH have wildly different frequencies and refresh rates.

Kit zooms and nifty-fifties are never absent, but specialized lenses (dedicated macro, supertele, ultra-wide) seem to each have their own schedule. All you can really do is check in periodically.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Is "lens droop" on Manfrotto ball heads an actual thing, or is it just a case of a vocal minority on the internet magnifying a very minor issue? I want a new ball head in the $100 range and I've been looking into the various Manfrotto offerings but I've come across quite a few people mentioning the fact that because the ball shifts slightly when you lock it you'll have to recompose shots a lot.

Any recommendations in this area?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My manfrotto has been fine, though I've never stress tested it with something dumb like a 400mm lens while using the camera body mount.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Mine shifts ever so slightly, but I only notice it at >300mm. It's really no big deal.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Alright thanks, that's kinda what I figured. I'd mostly be using it for portrait stuff at <100mm anyway so I'm not worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
A little late but I've put an unbalanced 25lbs (way past the rating) on my miniature ball head without droop. The key is to keep the locking knob grease off the ball by occasionally wiping it down with isopropyl alcohol or other solvent.