Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kinmik posted:

I've been frying a lot recently (I should invest in one of those splatter screens too). Up till now, I've been throwing the oil away, but now that I'm doing it more, how should I reserve the leftover oil? Do coffee filters work in straining out the finer particles? Should I throw the container in the fridge (I'm using peanut oil), or can I leave it on the counter?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What are some basic spices I should pick up and what are some simple tips on applying them?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

What are some basic spices I should pick up and what are some simple tips on applying them?

What do you want to cook? Assuming you're pretty new to home cooking, pick a cuisine you like to eat and learn it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne, oregano, thyme, rosemary, ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, and nutmeg.

Spice mixes to keep on hand: five spice powder (many varieties, just pick one to start), graham masala, Old Bay seasoning.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Graham's masala really is the best masala.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jon Joe posted:

This book has good tips on what spices to buy and which to use with each other.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need some new ideas/recipes for sous vide this weekend!

I did steak last night, chicken tonight, and the first day we put a 62 degree egg on top of some ramen.

Short ribs I'll try eventually, but I'm looking for something to eat Saturday or Sunday night.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

I did steak last night, chicken tonight, and the first day we put a 62 degree egg on top of some ramen.

Short ribs I'll try eventually, but I'm looking for something to eat Saturday or Sunday night.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/sous-vide-101-spicy-rubbed-pork-chops-with-bbq-barbecue-sauce-recipe.html

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Down With People posted:

Graham's masala really is the best masala.

The crushed graham crackers are a nice American touch in Indian cuisine.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

kinmik posted:

I've been frying a lot recently (I should invest in one of those splatter screens too). Up till now, I've been throwing the oil away, but now that I'm doing it more, how should I reserve the leftover oil? Do coffee filters work in straining out the finer particles? Should I throw the container in the fridge (I'm using peanut oil), or can I leave it on the counter?

I reuse fry oil for cooking with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SubG posted:

Not at all, but if you're making meat gravies and they're missing something, the causes are probably one or more of: not enough fat in the gravy, not enough aeromatics in the stock, not enough salt. If MSG is adjusting it to cover what it's missing, my guess is the first or last of those.

Experimenting today and I think my problem was adding too much water using stock cubes so the flavour was being diluted too much

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, we hit up the apple orchids here and picked up some homemade apple butter - I got it mainly for my fiancé to try (he's never had it before).

However, I highly doubt well eat it all just like that (on toast and such), so I'm looking for recipes that I can use it in. Any suggestions?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
To everyone who contributed, thanks for all the helpful tips! I'm still kicking myself over the fact that I threw out about 26 oz. of perfectly good peanut oil several days ago because I thought I had burnt it. In reality, there was a thick layer of particles that only made it look black. :doh:

I found this to be particularly informative. All this time I was laboring under the impression that frying at higher temps would cause the food to absorb less oil. I stand corrected. Thanks, O BraveUlysses!

e:

dino. posted:

I reuse fry oil for cooking with.
All the times I've tried this (admittedly, a grand total of three times), I've ended up with some wonky tasting chicken.

kinmik fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 28, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

nwin posted:

I always do butter poached lobster in my sous vide machine. 125F for 30min then a quick sear yields some of the best lobster I've had.

We recently had a huge sale on lobster ($4.50 ea) so I have lobster on the brain.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rurutia posted:

I always do butter poached lobster in my sous vide machine. 125F for 30min then a quick sear yields some of the best lobster I've had.

We recently had a huge sale on lobster ($4.50 ea) so I have lobster on the brain.

Whole lobster or tails? Do you have a recipe or website for this?

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
My girlfriend got a really good deal on this set from work. I've never used cookware with a ceramic coating before. Are there any pro tips for it?

Also I haven't heard of this brand before. Does anyone have experience with it?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Whole lobster or tails? Do you have a recipe or website for this?

Either or. No website or exact recipe.

It's two basic steps. Remove the meat from the shell, then sous vide. To remove the meat from the shell, I usually pour boiling water + a splash of vinegar onto the lobster and let it sit for a few minutes then deshell. To sous vide, I usually just throw a tablespoon of butter in a bag with a tail/claws with some aromatics like green onion and ginger, no salt because that poo poo comes already seasoned. 125F for 30min with a quick sear. Dress with a bit of the bag butter after.

I've heard of people sous viding lobster in beurre monte instead, which sounds awesome too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snackpack Backpack posted:

My girlfriend got a really good deal on this set from work. I've never used cookware with a ceramic coating before. Are there any pro tips for it?

It's an alternative nonstick cooking surface. So far everything I've read says that it loses it's nonstick properties the same as Teflon, but at least harmful chemicals weren't used in its manufacture.

Greenpan is one of the first companies to make ceramic cookware.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Snackpack Backpack posted:

You should use silicone tools with ceramic pans, and any non-stick for that matter, as metal can scratch the coating. It's also advised to hand wash them only and not to use abrasives to clean them. Also store them without putting other pans etc in direct contact with the pan. I've had a GreenPan for about a year and it's still non-stick. If food looks like it's sticking then a little splash of oil helps, but not much, so oil or butter are generally only used for flavour. I'd recommend them.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I recently found out that my local butcher sells wood pigeons for a pretty reasonable price, and I also found pigeon breasts at the market.

I've never tried pigeon but it's something I'd be very interested in doing. What's the best way to showcase the flavour of the bird in a good meal? Roasting seems like the obvious choice but I'm open to more interesting suggestions.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Cavenagh posted:

You should use silicone tools with ceramic pans, and any non-stick for that matter, as metal can scratch the coating. It's also advised to hand wash them only and not to use abrasives to clean them. Also store them without putting other pans etc in direct contact with the pan. I've had a GreenPan for about a year and it's still non-stick. If food looks like it's sticking then a little splash of oil helps, but not much, so oil or butter are generally only used for flavour. I'd recommend them.

Thanks. I already do most of that anyway. The care instructions said to store them nested in each other. Is that a no-no?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do it with paper towels in between

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I have a 2lb beef roast I was going to put in a crock pot with potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, garlic. Any suggestions as to how to season the beef, and also how much bullion to use? Also any side tips if you think you know a super secret.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

spacejew posted:

I have a 2lb beef roast I was going to put in a crock pot with potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, garlic. Any suggestions as to how to season the beef, and also how much bullion to use? Also any side tips if you think you know a super secret.

I'd sear it all over in a hot pan before putting it in the pot plus add some finely minced mushrooms, thyme, a bay leaf, red wine, minced fried smoked bacon...yeah, I'd basically turn it into beef bourguignon but that's probably just me ;)

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Pookah posted:

I'd sear it all over in a hot pan before putting it in the pot plus add some finely minced mushrooms, thyme, a bay leaf, red wine, minced fried smoked bacon...yeah, I'd basically turn it into beef bourguignon but that's probably just me ;)

Definitely not just you, that sounds amazing.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Does anyone have some advice on how to cook rice so that it's nice and fluffy throughout and not wet or mushy. I always seem to get about half fluffy then everything in the bottom half a slightly wet mushy consistency. I normally just boil on a lowish heat with a lid on and just enough water to cook with (by eye). Is there anything I should watch for?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DJ Burette posted:

Does anyone have some advice on how to cook rice so that it's nice and fluffy throughout and not wet or mushy. I always seem to get about half fluffy then everything in the bottom half a slightly wet mushy consistency. I normally just boil on a lowish heat with a lid on and just enough water to cook with (by eye). Is there anything I should watch for?
How much is "enough water to cook with?" I don't boil rice, what I do is I put the rice and water in a pot, bring it to a boil, then put the lid on and reduce the heat to as low as my stove will go. I do that until all the water has been absorbed. All of the rice is of the same consistency.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DJ Burette posted:

This only works for plain boiled rice, and works best with basmati because the grains are so long and narrow, but I always soak/slow rinse the rice for at least half an hour before cooking, then put far more water (like 3-4 times as much) than is necessary into a big pot, salt it properly, get it boiling, throw the rice it and cook it at a simmer until it is just about tender, drain out all the water and let it sit for a few minutes.

The top grains dry out a little and stand up, which looks really funny and the rice is tender but still firm the whole way through.

With basmati, the cooking time is no more than 6-8 minutes so you do have to hang around and taste-test grains regularly.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Nicol Bolas posted:

Definitely not just you, that sounds amazing.

Guess what I cooked in my slow cooker today!

(The beef was cubed bigely but I basically did as described otherwise).

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

DJ Burette posted:

Depending on how often you make rice you should invest in a rice cooker, the rice has so far been consistently good for me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

spacejew posted:

Fresh rosemary. :3:

Pookah posted:

This only works for plain boiled rice, and works best with basmati because the grains are so long and narrow, but I always soak/slow rinse the rice for at least half an hour before cooking, then put far more water (like 3-4 times as much) than is necessary into a big pot, salt it properly, get it boiling, throw the rice it and cook it at a simmer until it is just about tender, drain out all the water and let it sit for a few minutes.

The top grains dry out a little and stand up, which looks really funny and the rice is tender but still firm the whole way through.

With basmati, the cooking time is no more than 6-8 minutes so you do have to hang around and taste-test grains regularly.

This is the way I do it too (after years of horrid sticky mush no matter what I tried changing). I dump it into a small-holed colander when done, then back into the pot (off heat) with the lid on, for ~5 minutes. I don't soak it for a while beforehand, though, I just rinse the rice by hand-agitating it in a mixing bowl under running cold water for about 2 minutes.

Doing this with so much extra water may not guarantee it won't be sticky (that's the rinsing)and it can still be overcooked to mush, but it makes burnt rice nearly impossible. This means that while it's a nice trick for someone who knows how to cook, it's solid gold to teach to new cooks and people who regularly burn the hell out of rice. Everybody knows someone like that. :argh:

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

spacejew posted:

Bay leaf, rosemary, a dash of mustard seed, garlic, cloves, black pepper. If you want a warmer flavour add a stick of Cinnamon as well. As for bullion I would just stick to what it says, maybe a little less depending on how you season it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Girlfriend bought a vegetable platter for a presentation at work, and most of it didn't get eaten so now we have lots of "finger food" vegetables (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, squash slices, radish slices, and cauliflower bits). I'm cutting up half of them to try and make some kind of crockpot chicken veggie soup tomorrow, but could I make a good vegetable stock from the other half? Should I? How would I even do that- simmer the veggies in water for X amount of time, then collect the liquid?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 30, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I cooked lentils using the proportion of water I found online, which was two parts water to one part lentils. My lentils ended up like baby food and there was still plenty of leftover liquid. Clearly this is not correct. What are the proper proportions? I've never made them before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Red lentils, if it matters.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Red lentils are kind of naturally mushy. I think they're best for recipes that are saucy, like dal, or just straight up make a soup of 'em. That way you don't need to worry about too much liquid. If you want something that'll hold its shape better as a standalone dish, you want green or brown lentils.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, fortunately I was making a curry so the mushiness didn't really hurt it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lullabee posted:

So, we hit up the apple orchids here and picked up some homemade apple butter - I got it mainly for my fiancé to try (he's never had it before).

However, I highly doubt well eat it all just like that (on toast and such), so I'm looking for recipes that I can use it in. Any suggestions?

Just to give you a quick answer.
http://www.thekitchn.com/using-apple-butter-in-the-kitc-157417

I know it sounds weird, but the Ham&Cheese, apple sandwich is a legitimately tasty thing. Apple Butter has some pretty unique taste profiles, if you're only eating it on toast like jam you're missing out on some interesting things.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

I cooked lentils using the proportion of water I found online, which was two parts water to one part lentils. My lentils ended up like baby food and there was still plenty of leftover liquid. Clearly this is not correct. What are the proper proportions? I've never made them before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Red lentils, if it matters.
The right proportion is whatever gets you the consistency you want, basically. You sort of have to play around with it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Drifter posted:

Just to give you a quick answer.
http://www.thekitchn.com/using-apple-butter-in-the-kitc-157417

I know it sounds weird, but the Ham&Cheese, apple sandwich is a legitimately tasty thing. Apple Butter has some pretty unique taste profiles, if you're only eating it on toast like jam you're missing out on some interesting things.

Apple and pork is pretty common...I guess it's all pig...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Girlfriend bought a vegetable platter for a presentation at work, and most of it didn't get eaten so now we have lots of "finger food" vegetables (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, squash slices, radish slices, and cauliflower bits). I'm cutting up half of them to try and make some kind of crockpot chicken veggie soup tomorrow, but could I make a good vegetable stock from the other half? Should I? How would I even do that- simmer the veggies in water for X amount of time, then collect the liquid?

If you want a really good vegetable stock, don't just boil the vegetables--you should brown them first in some butter. (Or any neutral oil, if you're vegan.) Celery, carrots, onion, probably squash and grape tomatoes could all benefit from a good long sit in a saute pan with a bunch of butter to make them brown and tasty, then deglaze the pan with a bunch of water (and even some white wine if you're feeling ambitious), boil boil boil, puree, and pass it through a strainer. The resulting liquid should be a tasty, rich stock thanks to the malliard reaction.

Also; I don't know how much of that stuff that you have, but if you have maybe a cup of each vegetable, use maybe a quart of water and a cup of wine. If it's too rich, you can always thin it with more water, but creating a more concentrated stock requires boiling down what you have, and that's a pain. Better to make it more concentrated at first and thin it if it's too much.

Also also, if you're thinking of a specific use for the stock, don't be afraid to flavor it further in advance. If you're thinking veggie noodle, throw in a bay leaf and sage. If you're thinking asian soups, throw in ginger slices and lemongrass.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 30, 2013