Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anyone have any opinions on any of the thirteen games in this bundle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Telepath RPG is one of the beat the average games, but it is pretty good.

I've heard the Cthulhu one, Wasted Lands, is a nice looking but rather not-as-good-as-it-could-be.

Never heard of any of the others.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hack, Slash, Loot is actively loving terrible and no one should ever give anyone money for it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

unemployment quest is a total piece of poo poo birthed from kickstarter crimes with one of the most abysmal soundtracks i've ever heard

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Only one that's any good AFAIK is Frayed Knights.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Has Rakeingrass made anything worth playing since Jets n Guns? I saw a game from them on there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
How is Radiata Stories? I think it may have been discussed earlier, but I keep getting it confused with Radiant Historia, which I have played, so I didn't really pay attention if it was.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

How is Radiata Stories? I think it may have been discussed earlier, but I keep getting it confused with Radiant Historia, which I have played, so I didn't really pay attention if it was.

It is a very good game. It starts slow and boring but gets good. It is also a very different game than Radiant Historia so don't get them confused.
It's actively loving goofy pretty much the whole way through so if that's a turn-off it's not gonna be for you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fronz posted:

It is a very good game. It starts slow and boring but gets good. It is also a very different game than Radiant Historia so don't get them confused.
It's actively loving goofy pretty much the whole way through so if that's a turn-off it's not gonna be for you.

I have played an hour of Radiata Stories (I don't own it). I went from the beginning to the dwarf town, died in the mines, and started at the loving beginning again, because that was the only save point I encountered thus far. Did I miss something incredibly obvious...?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there are save points everywhere you can rest. I think I'm the dwarf town there's one in the inn.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Skip this and play Drakensang 1 & 2 instead. Dragon Age blows.
Is it necessary play Drakensang 1 or can i just jump straight into 2 and not miss anything?

The Siege of the Necromancer: very fun CYOA game but it's extremely short.

Hack, Slash, Loot: complete loving trash. seriously don't play this

never played any of the other games.

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Prefuse posted:

Is it necessary play Drakensang 1 or can i just jump straight into 2 and not miss anything?

Drankensang 2 is actually a prequel to 1, so there's not much to miss except seeing characters who are in your party in 2 as grizzled old men in 1.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Some of the guys who worked on Radiata Stories later worked on Radiant Historia, which is why they have similar titles. But they're really quite different beasts despite that. Radiata Stories is a comedy before all else. It can be pretty funny, but if ridiculous comedy and running around kicking everyone in town (which is a thing you can do in this game) doesn't sound appealing to you, you shouldn't play it.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 27, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I like Radiata Stories quite a bit, though I haven't played it in quite a while. It's definitely not serious, outside of a few parts, but the battle system is pretty fun, there's an absolute shitload of characters, and it has an actual, legit branching story. Well, 2 branches, but they're both about the last half of the game. Plus you can have a party full of buff Orcs.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Looks like a lot of poo poo tier roguelikes to me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's an English promotional video for Bravely Default.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Guys, house mate and I want to play a co op RPG today. First choice would be Baldurs Gate EE but I'm already about 20 hours in and don't want to start over. Can play virtually anything as long as it's decent co op RPG and on PC.

Thanks

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys, house mate and I want to play a co op RPG today. First choice would be Baldurs Gate EE but I'm already about 20 hours in and don't want to start over. Can play virtually anything as long as it's decent co op RPG and on PC.

Thanks

http://www.gog.com/game/darkstone

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks

Doesn't Obsidian's Dungeon Siege 3 allow coplay? It's a decent Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance slash Diablo type deal.

Icewind Dale 2 is pretty drat solid if you want to keep in the same vein as BG. Dead Island might be fun with a second player...it's kinda boring with just one person. Neverwinter Nights does it, too, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

Doesn't Obsidian's Dungeon Siege 3 allow coplay? It's a decent Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance slash Diablo type deal.

Man, I read that as cosplay and got very very confused for a moment.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Best part of this game is dropping some gold in the singer's bowl in town for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ445dYNmi4&t=35s

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'll check out dark stone. It might be the single D&D game on GOG I don't already own. I've also bought IWD2 but never played it, and I own NWN1 and 2. How are the latter two for co op?

Maybe three characters each and then getting going in IWD2 is the way?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BadAstronaut posted:

I'll check out dark stone. It might be the single D&D game on GOG I don't already own. I've also bought IWD2 but never played it, and I own NWN1 and 2. How are the latter two for co op?

Maybe three characters each and then getting going in IWD2 is the way?

IWD2 is a great game. The best of the infinity engine combat, too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Probably a long shot, but anyone got any tips/things I should know in advance for ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat for the DS? I sorta picked it up because the premise seemed vaguely interesting in a Final Fantasy Tactics-y kinda way but haven't started it yet.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I own Sacred Gold too, and from when I reviewed it a couple years ago it was very shallow but fun for a couple days. Anyone got any experience of it as a co-op game to blast away a couple afternoons with one other friend?

http://www.gog.com/game/sacred_gold

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So THIS is why the HSL card prices crashed literally hours after I placed mine on the market.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks

It's already been mentioned, but if you're good with an action RPG, Dungeon Siege 3 is really fun, and I imagine even better with a second person. The leveling system is a good one to just dive into, because even sub optimal builds don't feel like you've wasted a bunch of poo poo at level ups.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks

Can't go wrong with Diablo II. I think you can play the Eastern Sun mod over LAN.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Can we talk about Mass Effect? I'm sort of marathoning them at the moment and I just finished ME2. I'll give it a break before I play 3 though, 2 was pretty tiring.

I prefer 1 over 2. 1 hits the space opera tone perfectly, and it really made me enjoy going on this big space adventure to save everyone, it feels like a shootier star trek. I liked how the story paces itself through these long sections on seperate planets, and they split between driving and shooting enough to stop anything from getting boring. The final mission is really great. Maybe the story could've used another planet to make it last a bit longer, but hey, budget restrictions. Saren's plan didn't make any sense either, but I didn't even realise until after I'd finished the game, so it's not so bad.

ME2 has a lot more content and better level design, and refined a lot of the more annoying poo poo like clogged up inventories from ME1, but a lot of that is just lost under this big mountain of darker and sexier. There's an ammo system and multiple waves of enemies in every combat encounter, which just makes firefights drawn out and tiresome. Everything's darker, but it's done in a really crass way that I don't really like. I'm not completely against making everything a bit less idealistic, especially since the first game ends on a big ominous note, but this really wasn't the way to do it. Starting off your second exciting space adventure by going to a crime-ridden space station and then a prison isn't really that fun. I found it far too long, too. There's a lot of neat story and character stuff but it's all stuck behind lots of samey, drawn-out shooting segments that take far too long. I would've preferred more missions that didn't solely rely on shooting, like Samara and Kasumi's loyalty missions.

There's lots of other little things that I didn't like, but I think the tone and the sheer amount of combat involved are the main negatives for me. And I think Mass Effect 3 keeps both of those things, so I'll put playing that off for a little while.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Drifter posted:

IWD2 is a great game. The best of the infinity engine combat, too.

Would you recommend skipping IWD 1 to play this (in the same vein that you can skip BG1 and go straight to the much improved BG2)?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Ninth Layer posted:

Would you recommend skipping IWD 1 to play this (in the same vein that you can skip BG1 and go straight to the much improved BG2)?

I would. Not that IWD1 is bad, but 2 is the last of the IE iteration, so it is kinda defacto better than the first.

You don't miss out if you're only playing the second...unless you're a big :spergin:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
IWD2 can be kind of a pain to get widescreen mod working unfortunately, that's really my only "big" gripe about IWD2.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

I would. Not that IWD1 is bad, but 2 is the last of the IE iteration, so it is kinda defacto better than the first.

You don't miss out if you're only playing the second...unless you're a big :spergin:

I don't agree. Play them both, they don't even use the same rule set.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 4, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Friendly Factory posted:

I actually cannot physically play ME1 after playing 2 and 3. They're just so much better in every way. Yes, I liked 3. Dumbest thing in the series was in ME2 though (giant robo-baby).
Man, I completely forgot about Giant Robo-Baby after Ghost Mom from Bioshock Infinite.

I sometime wonder where designers come up with this stuff, it's beyond ludicrous.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

I actually would totally recommend playing both. You absolutely don't have to but they're both great and unlike BG->BG2 the first isn't endlessly tedious.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is TES: Redguard good?

Looking for more of a skyrim kick

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 29, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

In what way is installing IWD2's wide screen mod a hassle?

I'm going to play it at some point soon at, hopefully, 1920x1200...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

BadAstronaut posted:

In what way is installing IWD2's wide screen mod a hassle?

I'm going to play it at some point soon at, hopefully, 1920x1200...

http://zeckul.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/icewind-dale-2-ultimate-installation-guide/ covers everything regarding IWD2. If you scroll down you'll see the Widescreen mod that is normally used for infinity engine games can be a little weird with IWD2.

Some people have said good things about using the solution contained in this thread, but I haven't played IWD2 recently enough to try it:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=24452

Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

WYA posted:

Is TES: Redguard good?

Looking for more of a skyrim kick

It's a late 90s era low-budget action adventure game with questionable controls.